Manchester District Library Book Club discussion

2010-2011 season > YA dark/dystopian fiction

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (sturmhaus) | 16 comments Great article at NPR today about dark YA fiction -- Seeing Teenagers As We Wish They Were: The Debate Over YA Fiction.

There's a Twitter hashtag right now that a lot of authors and librarians are using to comment on the debate. Search Twitter for #yasaves to see what everyone's saying.

message 2: by Shea (new)

Shea | 85 comments Mod
I was reading Stephen King in high school, along with Mary Higgins Clark and VC Andrews. I have also always been a Shakespeare fan and believe I still turned out fine. It always seems to be the same arguement about what kids are exposed to and how it will affect their behavior. I have always believed it is much more about the individual than it is about the content. I am careful about making sure my children are not exposed to things I think are inappropriate for their age. However, I am also realistic enough to know they are going to be exposed to darkness in real life so perhaps first exposure can be more safely done through fiction. If my children show an interest in reading something I am not sure about then Brent or I read it too and we talk about it. I never want to discourage reading in any form.

message 3: by Shea (new)

Shea | 85 comments Mod
Here is another interesting take on the subject:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/0...

message 4: by Shea (new)

Shea | 85 comments Mod
This topic is really a hot one right now. Here is an opposing view to the article I posted on the 10th
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001...

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Herron | 13 comments Wow, loved that NPR article. And the topic came up again last night, three years after Heather posted that!

message 6: by Shea (new)

Shea | 85 comments Mod
I think it is an old arguement that will continue long into the future. I know there were parents unhappy when we read "Lord of the Flies" in High School and I am sure when our grandchildren are teens there will be controversial books then too.

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Herron | 13 comments I completely agree. "Back in my day..."

unread topics | mark unread