The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Nickboy's task: NETHERLANDS Is an Eleven Letter Word

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 03, 2011 07:37PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6328 comments Mod
20.2 Rookie at the Top - Nickboy's task: NETHERLANDS Is an Eleven Letter Word
The monarchy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is designated the House of Orange. The general populace of the Netherlands has adopted the color orange as a symbol of national pride. I’ve never been to the Netherlands but on cool evenings I proudly sport a bright orange scarf which a friend from Amsterdam gave to me. It has the word HOLLAND stencilled across it in an Old English font, all black caps.

Sooooooooo….

For this task, you may choose one of two options:

Option A. Read a book with a word in the title or subtitle (but not series title) that is eleven or more letters in length. (Hyphenated words not allowed.)
OR
Option B. Read a book with one of the following words in the title, as an homage to my Dutch scarf:
Kingdom, Dutch, orange, Holland, scarf, Amsterdam, English – plurals are the only allowed exceptions.

Required: State with option you chose when you post.

Nick (doily) | 705 comments Placeholder

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6328 comments Mod
This thread is now open for questions.

message 5: by Dee (last edited Jun 03, 2011 03:20PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 4723 comments yay - I found a book with an 11 letter word - I was worried...haha

I'm going to read The Information Officer - I just got it from bookswap today

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) | 659 comments Yay! I can use The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady, which I've been trying to find a spot for.

Fran | 705 comments Dee, I was worried too, but actually found a few on my tbr shelf with 11 or more letters-

Spontaneous
Once Upon a Veterinarian
Without Reservations
Thanksgiving

Sandy | 7106 comments Mod
When you say hyphenated words not allowed, do you mean to add up to the 11 letters, or just not allowed period? I was thinking of Slaughterhouse-Five - it's 13 letters before the hypen, but it is hyphenated.

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments Sandy wrote: "When you say hyphenated words not allowed, do you mean to add up to the 11 letters, or just not allowed period? I was thinking of Slaughterhouse-Five - it's 13 letters before the hypen..."

I was considering this one too, also Tuck Everlasting.

Cait (caitertot) Yes! I've been looking for a place to fit The Instructions.

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I will put Unbelievable in this task. It will give me more points than the original slot I was going to put it in.

Stina (stinalynne04) I found a book with a long title, and it has an 11 in the title! Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories

message 13: by Nick (last edited Jun 04, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 705 comments Sandy wrote: "When you say hyphenated words not allowed, do you mean to add up to the 11 letters, or just not allowed period? I was thinking of Slaughterhouse-Five - it's 13 letters before the hypen..."

"Slaughterhouse" is more than 11 letters, so it's okay, even though it's part of a larger hyphenation.

... Oh, and Sandy, thanks for asking, since "Slaughterhouse-Five" is, like, my favorite novel ever, I'm soooo happy to be able to put it at the top of my "Accepted" list!

Nick (doily) | 705 comments FYI -- I will probably use Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. But I may change my mind and go with Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (Option B).

Sandy | 7106 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Oh, and Sandy, thanks for asking, since "Slaughterhouse-Five" is, like, my favorite novel ever, I'm soooo happy to be able to put it at the top of my "Accepted" list!"

LOL - I read it in college, but that was over 35 years ago, so I think it's time to revisit it.

Kelly | 130 comments I think I will either do Fingersmithby: Sarah Waters OR The Sherlockian by: Graham Moore.

Nick (doily) | 705 comments Kelly wrote: "I think I will either do Fingersmithby: Sarah Waters OR The Sherlockian by: Graham Moore."

Great ideas! Everybody!

Nick (doily) | 705 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Am I allowed Five Quarters of the Orange - Joanne Harris as for part B?"

Definitely.

message 20: by Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) (last edited Jun 06, 2011 08:36AM) (new)

Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) (amandapearl) | 229 comments It's ok to be greater than 11 letters correct? I really want to read Paranormalcy and it's 12 letters.

I paniced when I first read this task because I had NO idea what to use lol. If this works I'll be really glad I found something.

Come to think of it though, even if it doesn't work I own a copy of slaughterhouse-five...so I could always read that lol.

Nick (doily) | 705 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "It's ok to be greater than 11 letters correct? I really want to read Paranormalcy and it's 12 letters.

I paniced when I first read this task because I had NO idea what to use l..."

Your choice is fine. Anything over 11 letters is accepted.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Laura Griffin's Untraceable and Unspeakable would work, unless I miscounted!!:-D

chucklesthescot Are we allowed re-reads for this task?

Nick (doily) | 705 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Are we allowed re-reads for this task?"

Yes, as long as you've not used it for anything else in THIS challenge.