Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > sorting listopias

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments I would like to be able to sort listopias I have voted on. Good ways to sort would be: alphabetical by title of list, most recently voted on (by me), most voted on (by everyone), most books on list, etc.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments Lobstergirl, you come up with the neatest perspectives & ideas. I'd probably use listopia a lot more if it were more functional, especially as you suggest here.

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments Oh yes please!! Maybe by tag as well?

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments Good idea Jan!

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 432 comments I would love this!

Traci | 2 comments I would like to be able to sort the items within a list. I think the easiest way to do this is to create column headers for Rank, Title, and My Rating and add Excel-like sorting by columns.
Most often I want to vote for books I have read and it would be nice to be able to bring those to the top of the list.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments That would also help make Listopia more functional. The idea of the lists is great, but they really do need help to be truly functional. Imo.

Themis-Athena (Does not and never will own a Kindle) (Themis-Athena) | 23 comments Can I just tag on and say I agree with all of the above? :)

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Bump.

Is this something that might be doable?

Riona (rionafaith) | 176 comments I love this idea too! I'm totally addicted to listopia and have voted on a bunch of them, so a more efficient way to compare and sort that info would be great.

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Another bump.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments Staff, please consider this, or tell us that it can't be done - it'd be really cool, but if there's no way it can happen that would be good information too.

Phillip Edwards (phillipjedwards) | 13 comments A page indexing all of the Best Books of #### (the Year) lists would be useful as well.

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments That exists Phillip

http://www.goodreads.com/list/best_by...

You can find that page by going to listopia, and then clicking on the "'Best of' Lists" title in the right sidebar, under which there's always 5 best of listed.

message 15: by Phillip (last edited Sep 04, 2011 01:50PM) (new)

Phillip Edwards (phillipjedwards) | 13 comments Thanks, Jan - that's what I call service!

Although someone needs to add links to the pre-1980 lists...

This reminds me - is there a way of listing my books by publication date, rather than the year read? The publication date tab on the stats page only seems to lead to a rather odd graph.

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments I think the pre-1980s lists weren't automatically created by Goodreads, and therefor not showing up on those lists. They also don't have the nifty little feature where you can indeed only add books for the mentioned year.

As for your latter question, if you go to my books, at the bottom there is a drop down menu on how you can sort things, date pub is one of the options. You can also press on custom view in the top menu (of my books), and select date pub as one of the columns. Then you can sort simply by clicking on the collumn title.

Phillip Edwards (phillipjedwards) | 13 comments Thanks again!

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Jan wrote: "I think the pre-1980s lists weren't automatically created by Goodreads, and therefor not showing up on those lists. They also don't have the nifty little feature where you can indeed only add books..."

I requested this feature for pre-1980 books a while back. I don't recall that I got an answer...I'll have to check.

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Sadly, the original publication dates on Goodreads are often inaccurate.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments Of course librarians can fix publication dates if known, right?

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Correct.

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Sometimes it's merely because the oldest edition is not even listed on GR; so if no one manually enters that publication date, it defaults to the date of the oldest edition listed. Other times someone has gone in and changed a correct date to an incorrect date.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments Ah - good to know - I'll try to be alert. :)

Staff.....anyone there?

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments I'd still love this as well.

Themis-Athena (Does not and never will own a Kindle) (Themis-Athena) | 23 comments Same here. (Santa -- you still lingering anywhere near by any chance?)

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Bump again.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Sadly, the original publication dates on Goodreads are often inaccurate."

speaking of that, what if a book has a copyright year which is earlier than the year by the publisher? i'd think that the publication went along with the printing, which might take place awhile after being copyrighted? or what if it means that it was printed when it was first copyrighted, but the later published date is presumably, evidently another edition? what if it has a copyright date 2 years before a publication date which says "1st edition (3rd printing)" how to figure that out?

message 29: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11150 comments Mod
Specific examples of books like that are often discussed in the Librarians group. usually, with some additional research, discrepancies can be figured out.

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) | 4709 comments A book's true copyright date is always going to be earlier than publication date since copyright exists on the work the moment it is written. At least in UK law.

I'd like to know if this (original post) is ever going to happen. As we vote on more and more listopias, our "My Lists" gets ever more unwieldy and it would be very useful to be able to sort it in a variety of ways.

Kirby | 48 comments I agree that this would be good...

Lobstergirl | 4369 comments Bumping this delightful thread!

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2903 comments heh

unread topics | mark unread