Women's Fiction authors discussion

I'm a writer who loves to read and a reader who loves to write

Comments (showing 1-50 of 111) (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site. I have recently just published a book available for Amazon Kindle entitled THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURE OF ORDINARY ALICE. I am also a mother and a proud military wife. I have been in love with books my entire life. I would love to get connected with some other authors and I would love to be able to get my name and the name of my book out there to the public.

message 2: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 14 comments Hello. Love the title of your book and will make a note to look it up next time I'm on Amazon.

message 3: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments That would be great. Thanks!

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments I will look for your book too. I have been a member of Goodreads for some time, but am just now learning my way around it. I've published two books, Whatever Happened to Lily? and Second Stories. I'm looking to connect with other authors.

message 5: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Lynn, your books look great. I've added them to my Wish List and will check them out as soon as I get through the list of books I currently have on my to- read list. :)
By the way, I love your covers!

message 6: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Frankie, do you have a book written and available?

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments Iheartbooks, I am going to check your book, The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Alice. I hope to become a lot more active on this site, and I'll post a review too. Thanks for saying you like me covers! That is very nice to hear, since I did them myself. I used CreateSpace and I never had any problems with covers or interior formatting. I found it a very positive experience.

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Gum (jacquiegum) | 13 comments Hello everyone. Have been a member here for a while, but not active. But I have been reading some of these posts and I like this forum very much. My book, "Confessions of a Corporate Slut" was published in 2008 and more recently made available in ebook format. It's a wry view of the life of a corporate wife, similar to political wives. It's still selling via Amazon, B &N...not millions, though. LOL! I am still shopping my second manuscript and writing my third. One of the best things about these forums is finding some wonderful new work done by great, yet undiscovered writers. For example, I am going to look up "The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Alice", just to mention one. I write women's fiction and have now started blogging. You can find me here (I hope you'll allow me the priviledge of being a part of this forum) and at www.jacquelinegum.com. Cheers!

message 9: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments I'm thinking of lowering the price of my book. I don't have the time and energy to promote it like I should and wondering if people want to spend $2.99 on an author they've never heard of. So I was wondering if I should lower it to .99. Any thoughts?

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments Iheartbooks, I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I'm put off by books that sell for .99. Except for classics and really old stuff anyway. Promoting your book is hard, and time-consuming, though and we new authors struggle with how to so I understand completely. I actually think $2.99 is a good price point.

message 11: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Thanks, Lynn. I actually thought the same thing. Sometimes when I see a .99 book, I can't help but think that maybe its not that good or else it would be priced higher. I think I'll stick with the $2.99 for a couple more months at least.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 6 comments Pricing is tricky. I belong to a group called Murder Must Advertise and right now members are having a heated debate about 99 cent books versus books that cost more. Some people think your first book should be 99 cents to hook readers so you can charge more for your next book.

To me, 99 cents means amateur work in need of serious editing. I've tried $2.99 to 6.99 and may have settled in at 4.99 for the cozy mysteries I write. Please share your experiences.
Nancy Lynn Jarvis

message 13: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Gum (jacquiegum) | 13 comments I actually have downloaded a few 99 centers..To be honest? They were bad...hate to say it. But it is indeed a conundrum. My book, in ebook format, is $6.99 on Amazon, and $5.something on B&N. I paid a fortune to have my ms professionally edited by a well known editor and that is my biggest beef with the cheap ones...not even basic, gramatical editing, typos like crazy. I like Nancy's idea of $4.99.

message 14: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Thanks everyone. On some of the Kindle forums, people were saying that no one is willing to spend money on an unknown author when there are so many books available for .99. Personally, I never have any problem trying unknown authors. And like we've all mentioned, when I first got my Kindle, I steered away from all .99 books because I figured they wouldn't be very good.

message 15: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments I think this is a problem that will only get worse. More and more people are writing books for kindle and the market is already saturated with the ones for .99. As you mentioned Jacqueline, some of them are not even edited for spelling.
Thanks for the input everyone.

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 9 comments I'm stepping late into this thread, but having come from a marketing background, I think you should price your book by what you think it's worth. "Perceived value" is the term for what buyers perceive your value to be and pricing is a major factor. I agree with Lynn. I've tried a few 99ers and couldn't read them.

If my agent can't sell my novel, I'll be self-publishing and I won't sell for 99 cents because I, too, have spent money on an independent editor and will spend money on a professional cover. Most of the 99 centers look like 99 centers and I can't abide pages of typos and grammatical errors. They take me out of the story. I hope that adds another vote for giving ourselves worth as writers.

message 17: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Jacqueline wrote: "I actually have downloaded a few 99 centers..To be honest? They were bad...hate to say it. But it is indeed a conundrum. My book, in ebook format, is $6.99 on Amazon, and $5.something on B&N. I pai..."

I like Nancy's price of $4.99 too. My book is at Kindle for $3.99 and I think it's worth that. I'm going to put my other books up at $3.99 which is what they are priced at Smashwords and I've sold them there at that price. I have two shorter books - a children's book and a book of short stories and poetry most of which has been published in journals etc. They are $1.99. Some of the so-called bestsellers are priced at $10 and more. I wouldn't pay that much for a download whoever wrote it.
http://aussieauthorsatwork.blogspot.com

message 18: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Laurel, have you had a lot of sucess with Smashwords? I've heard an equal number of complaints and compliments about it. I've also heard that people don't really go on to "shop" but go on to find something specific. In other words, it is up to the author to get people there. That is where I'm struggling: I have 2 small children and all my free time is spent writing which I love and not necessarily promoting.

message 19: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 14 comments I put my novel on Smashwords and so far it is going really well, with very little effort on my part. I think someone retweeted a link to the smashwords site and as a result 300 downloaded it in a matter of days. Now that's probably insignificant for some writers, but for me it was a sign that there was some interest in my work.

I am one of those authors that does not charge a lot for a download. I would rather people took a chance on it and read it and enjoyed it, than try and make any money out of it. I don't necessarily think that the price determines the quality of a novel. I am sure we have all read very famous award winning authors whose work we did not enjoy. There is good and bad in both the traditional and e-publishing world. I think that in both formats good writing will find a way to shine through; it just might take some time and patience.

message 20: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Iheartbooks wrote: "Laurel, have you had a lot of sucess with Smashwords? I've heard an equal number of complaints and compliments about it. I've also heard that people don't really go on to "shop" but go on to find..."
Yes, well, Smashwords, for me, are a lot harder to list books than Kindle. I persevere because they post the books to Sony, Kobo, B&N, Apple and others which I'm not sure I could do. Maybe if I had more time and know how I'd look into posting my books. Like you, I like to spend my time writing but I'm afraid self-published writers have to use the Internet and elsewhere to publicise their books though the time spent makes us grind our teeth with frustration. People have bought and downloaded my books. I must admit a lot more have just read the free section but that doesn't worry me. I'd try a book or short story with them and see how you go. All the best with your writing. Cheers

message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments Iheartbooks wrote: "Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site. I have recently just published a book available for Amazon Kindle entitled THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURE OF ORDINARY ALICE. I am also a mother and a proud milit..."

Iheartbooks, I downloaded a sample of The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Alice. I love that sample feature, I can read enough of each book to see if it hooks me. (I am studying the value of the "hook".) Anyway, I was hooked so I bought your book. I think it is very well-written and it's funny and I'm looking forward to reading it in its entirety.

message 22: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Thanks Lynn I really appreciate that. I'm almost done with the book I'm currently reading and then Whatever Happened to Lily is next! Can't wait!

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Hello everyone. Have been a member here for a while, but not active. But I have been reading some of these posts and I like this forum very much. My book, "Confessions of a Corporate Slut" was publ..."

Jacqueline, I downloaded a sample of your book. I loved it. I ordered the book, and an interesting thing, I though I'd share since we're discussing price. I really thought twice about the price of $6.99. But I wanted it so I got it. I am looking forward to reading it!

message 24: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 14 comments Iheartbooks wrote: "Frankie, do you have a book written and available?"

My book is called Dancing with the Ferryman and it is a rom-com set in Shetland. It is available from Smashwords free for a short while. Enjoy!

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) hi all, thanks for the discussion about Smashwords. Finally, after months of hearing about this site, I visited it this morning. As a writer considering e-pub, I know I have to get smart about sites like this and your discussion helped motivate me.
thanks carol

message 26: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 14 comments Carol - a successful self-published writer called Catherine Ryan Howard has published a guide to getting published on Amazon and Smashwords. It is well worth a read as she goes through every aspect of publishing and marketing. It is well written too. The book is called Self-Printed .... something. I think it costs about $2.99.

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Gum (jacquiegum) | 13 comments Lynn wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "Hello everyone. Have been a member here for a while, but not active. But I have been reading some of these posts and I like this forum very much. My book, "Confessions of a Corpo..."

Thank you so much Lynn! After reading some of the discussion here, I agree about the pricing but I can't change it now! The publisher, Author House, suggested the $6.99 price. I downloaded the sample of Second Stories and will read it today. I love your cover. I have been looking for a cover designer for my second novel, Bull Justice. I think I may publish via Kindle Publishing or Smashwords but I still need a cover.

message 28: by Judith (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments @Iheartbooks. I just caught up with this thread. I uploaded my novel, HUSBANDS MAY COME AND GO BUT FRIENDS ARE FOREVER (recently optioned for the big screen) to Smashwords a month ago. If you're thinking about lowering your price you could do two things: 1) join the month-long promotion that Smashwords is running through July and discount it or give it away as a test; or, 2) generate a discount coupon for a specific period of time and see how your sales go.

Good luck,

Regards,
Judith Marshall
www.judithmarshall.net

message 29: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Gum (jacquiegum) | 13 comments Judith wrote: "@Iheartbooks. I just caught up with this thread. I uploaded my novel, HUSBANDS MAY COME AND GO BUT FRIENDS ARE FOREVER (recently optioned for the big screen) to Smashwords a month ago. If you're t..."

Judith, I read the first chapter from your webpage and loved it so I downloaded it from Amazon for 9.99. I don't object to the price, but I guess I don't understand your post about smashwords? LOL

message 30: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Gum (jacquiegum) | 13 comments Iheartbooks wrote: "Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site. I have recently just published a book available for Amazon Kindle entitled THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURE OF ORDINARY ALICE. I am also a mother and a proud milit..."

Just downloaded a sample to my kindle...love that feature. Hope to get to it in a few weeks, but it looks great :)Love the title

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Frankie, thanks for book suggestion, I'll check it out. I also follow THEBOOKDESIGNER blog and learn alot there. carol

message 32: by Judith (last edited Jul 04, 2011 02:30PM) (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Judith wrote: "@Iheartbooks. I just caught up with this thread. I uploaded my novel, HUSBANDS MAY COME AND GO BUT FRIENDS ARE FOREVER (recently optioned for the big screen) to Smashwords a month ag..."

Thanks, Jacqueline. And if you like the book, please write a review on Amazon.

message 33: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Thanks, Judith. And I'll be sure to look for your book next time!

message 34: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Hi everybody! I love reading these threads. I’m new to this site and to the publishing world. Currently I’ve completed work of fiction and my editor says that it has too much promise to self-publish at this time. So, I’ve been sending out queries for six months now and not one agent has requested a read. I reworked my query last week and got a bite from Jet but a family situation popped up so she isn’t accepting any projects right now. I’m not totally discouraged…just somewhat confused. It seems there is so much going on in this business right now. I guess I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening.

message 35: by Judith (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments I know what you mean, Leah. My novel, HUSBANDS MAY COME AND GO BUT FRIENDS ARE FOREVER, won the Jack London Prize awarded by the California Writers Club in 2004 and I thought I was on my way to being published. But five years later, after more than 200 rejections, there were no takers. While I did have lots of requests for pages and even the full manuscript, no one wanted to take on a first-time fiction writer. So in 2009, I decided to independently publish the book and it's been optioned for the big screen, which shows it can be done.

Now, with the publishing business in such a state of chaos, and agents trying to redefine their roles, I think it's even harder for first-time authors. But the good news is that independent publishing is more popular than ever. So you have a back-up option. And if it does well, a traditional publisher would surely notice.

Best of luck,
Judith Marshall
www.judithmarshall.net

message 36: by Leah (last edited Jul 04, 2011 02:49PM) (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Wow Judith, you'd think that winning an award would tempt the agents. My novel just won the 2011 Laine Cunningham Novel Award. The first couple of chapters appear in this month's issue of Blotter Magazine. I was hoping this might jump start things for me.

I intend to continue to query, and if that doesn't work out I will self-publish. I write because I love it. I'm going to do it whether Mr. or Mrs. Agent thinks my stuff is worth investing in. Thank you for your thoughtful post. Is your book on Amazon? I have a kindle and would love to take a peek before the movie comes out;)
Leah

message 37: by Judith (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments Yes, the book is on Amazon and has received 35 5-star reviews. Here's the link.
http://www.amazon.com/Husbands-Come-F...

message 38: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd I've put my Regency romance, Substitute Bride on Kindle.

When Miss Emma Napier helps Abby, her childhood friend, to escape a forced marriage, she didn't expect to meet the attractive and exciting Lord Desborough on their journey to London. His lordship is looking for a wife so he can gain control of his inheritance. The marriage will be annulled within three weeks, he tells Emma when he forces her to accept his proposal.
Set up in London under her aunt, Lady Matilda's auspices, Emma encounters Desborough again. She denies meeting him before. But there is the matter of that marriage.

message 39: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Hi Laurel, your book sounds exciting. I'll put it on my wish list. Nice to meet you.

message 40: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "Hello everyone. Have been a member here for a while, but not active. But I have been reading some of these posts and I like this forum very much. My book, "Confessio..."

Jacqueline, I wrote a blog about that. http://lynnschneiderbooks.com/2011/02... I designed my own with the help of a simple to use software package. If you will be designing more than one cover, it's worth it. I've done two now. My book covers are not complex, but I have had some positive feedback.

message 41: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Di Mattia (SebastianDiMattia) | 8 comments Hi Leah, I think all of us writers have been on the path to publication only to get close enough to smell it but then receive some sort of excuse. I've had many bites, but in the end there was nothing.

You don't have to waste your time trying to climb the ivory towers. My novel, Starlight Over Pemberley is doing just fine on Kindle and Pubit.

Let the market speak for your work instead of someone who is only interested in how much money they can make off your hard work.

There's is nothing better than to see that first sale.

Good luck to you, and keep writing. You are the one who counts the most. Keep writing and good things will come your way.
Sebastian

message 42: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Sebastian wrote: "Hi Leah, I think all of us writers have been on the path to publication only to get close enough to smell it but then receive some sort of excuse. I've had many bites, but in the end there was noth..."

Thank you Sebastian, you’ve no idea how much your words meant to me tonight. I sometimes give the agents, who are really only looking to make a buck, much too much power over my career.
I intend to keep on writing, and if I have to self-publish my book as an e-book then that’s how it is meant to be. It’s not a consolation prize in any way. My work will stand on its own and the readers can judge if it’s worthy of their time or not.
It’s a liberating feeling really. You can’t imagine (or perhaps you can) how many anal agents I’ve not queried just because I didn’t like their self-important attitudes. I figure if they’re jerks on paper they’ll be even more difficult with skin on;)
Okay, I’ve vented. Thank you, Sebastian, for this cathartic release. I’m going to put your book on my wish list.
My Best,
Leah

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Lynn, thanks for sharing your blog about covers. It's helpful to see the progression of your covers and it's encouraging to see a fellow writer take this on. thanks carol

message 44: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 14 comments Lynn wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "Hello everyone. Have been a member here for a while, but not active. But I have been reading some of these posts and I like this forum very much. ..."

Lynn, just read your blog posting about covers. It was brilliant. I loved your 2nd attempt at a cover and it is defintely something that would stand out in a bookshop. And since I used to work in one, I feel qualified to state that! The first design was pretty, but it looks like a cover you would find on a religious text so it may have been misleading. Well done for sharing the knowledge, and I shall look out for your book.

message 45: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments All this talk about covers has me thinking. If any of you have time, please check out my book and tell me what you think of the cover. I hired someone to do it and at first, I didn't like it, then I liked it, and now I'm not liking it again. Which, I guess, is a sign that maybe its not that great. Please give me feedback. I won't take it personally, especially since I didn't do it myself. The book is
The Extraordinary Adventure of Ordinary Alice. Thanks!

message 46: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments I like your cover, it depicts an adventure, and that lime green font keeps one from thinking that it's a mundane adventure;)

message 47: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (SchneiderLynn) | 56 comments I like the cover, too, but my choice would have been to make the text black, because I think the green washes out a little at the top and on the back. I also see that some of the text would have disappeared on the back of the cover because it would have covered black areas where there were footprints. So I think I would have worked around that. I think the text should stand out more. But I like the idea a lot, and am partial to having one picture from back to front (as in my Lily book!).

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Valentine | 1 comments My thoughts about the .99 cent Kindle offerings is that it is a way to offer "teasers" that might garner readers for your other work. I have 2 novels -- Each Angel Burns and The Old Mermaid's Tale -- in both paper and e-format. Plus one collection of short stories in both formats -- My last Romance and other passions and they have done fairly well.

Recently I offered 2 novelettes for .99 cents really as a test to see if they will attract attention and more readers. It's too early to tell but one of them -- The Crazy Old Lady In The Attic -- seems to be doing pretty well. I'm just looking at the .99 offerings as cheap advertising!

message 49: by Leah (new)

Leah Griffith | 32 comments Iheartbooks wrote: "All this talk about covers has me thinking. If any of you have time, please check out my book and tell me what you think of the cover. I hired someone to do it and at first, I didn't like it, the..."

I meant NOT a mundane adventure. God, I'm glad I caught that typo. If you're not satisfied with the cover you should see about making some changes. It took me and the artist a month to get my cover right and we're still thinking of making a few minor changes. I wish you the best.

message 50: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Thank you for all the comments. I have a feeling that I will only be able to make changes if I pay for it so I will just think about it. So far my sales have not been where I'd like them and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to pay more to change the cover.

The good news: I've finished my second book today!! I feel like I've improved so much compared to my first book! Still sending it for a final edit and then I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm so unencouraged by the publishing market that I don't know if it pays to even send it to any agents.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

My Last Romance and Other Passions (other topics)
Each Angel Burns (other topics)
The Old Mermaid's Tale (other topics)
The Monster Of Silver Creek (other topics)
After All Is Said and Done - A Novel of Infidelity, Healing, & Forgiveness (other topics)