The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Scarlet Letter

Comments (showing 1-17)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (FaganLady) | 220 comments Well, I wouldn't describe it as a 'nice' book, but it was a page turner.

message 16: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (FaganLady) | 220 comments Ahhh ... I see.

Well, I finished it. A good story - makes you angry and hate certain characters. If a writer can make you feel that way, he's done his job.

I think I'll see if I can get the movie.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 211 comments It was sewn onto her clothes and it was beautiful. She was an amazing seamstress.

message 14: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (FaganLady) | 220 comments Only just started listening to this one.

I have a problem ... she 'wore' the letter? Or was it affixed to her person in some way? Burned? Tattoed?

Imagine a culture where they could force you to wear such a thing.

message 13: by Chantell (new)

Chantell  Petrell (ProfoundManifesto) Yeah.. I saw the movie Easy A before I finished The Scarlet Letter and it spoiled a lot of the story for me!!! ;3;

message 12: by Serenity (new)

Serenity | 24 comments I read this in high school as well, and will admit that I sparknotes'd most of it, got an A on the paper, and forgot about it. I found the writing tedious and the story frustrating (and boring). I felt no obligation to read it if I wasn't enjoying it, even if it is a so-called Classic Work Of Literature...I hear the movie (older version) is pretty good though, I might check that out. Also, I saw the movie Easy A, which is a modern day chick-flicky parody of the Scarlet Letter. It was fantastic and hilarious and smart - I really recommend checking it out!

message 11: by Cee (new)

Cee (cee-lakambini) | 39 comments Meg, thanks.

I found the introductory difficult to read too and skimmed through it. Then I backtracked when the letter was mentioned.

Right before I started this story, one of my friends said that The Scarlet Letter is rich in symbolism and I had fun putting meaning into details such as the characters' names and objects of nature. The letter A of course is a very obvious symbol.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) Cee - what a beautiful way to look at that.

message 9: by Cee (last edited Jun 07, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Cee (cee-lakambini) | 39 comments Meg wrote: "I didn't really like the book myself. Found it difficult to get through and probably the only reason I finished so quickly was I had a book on tape to get through instead of normal text. I found it..."

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana | 31 comments Meg wrote: "I didn't really like the book myself. Found it difficult to get through and probably the only reason I finished so quickly was I had a book on tape to get through instead of normal text. I found it..."

She was brave to wear the Scarlet Letter, but you are rigth... it shouldn't have influenced her life so much. But still.... those times were different...

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) I didn't really like the book myself. Found it difficult to get through and probably the only reason I finished so quickly was I had a book on tape to get through instead of normal text. I found it disturbing that someone could be so indoctrinated that they would allow their whole life to be weighed down by one mistake.
(view spoiler)
At the end of the book I found myself mildly depressed and in need of some nice light fiction.

message 6: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I liked it better when I read it in High School than I did when I re-read it last year. The language in painfully difficult and flowery. I actually found myself skimming parts. But the story is very powerful and worth the struggle.

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 8 comments I started reading a couple nights ago. I haven't gotten very far. I'm still in the introduction part.

One good thing...I haven't had any trouble with insomnia...hehe

message 4: by Allison (last edited Jun 01, 2011 11:11AM) (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments I just downloaded this to read on my phone (it's a free download on most smart phone book apps since it's a public domain book- yay!). I'm looking forward to getting started and chatting with you all about it.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 211 comments I read this book for the first time when I was a sophomore in high school (10 years ago!) and I have read it at least twice since then. It is one of my favorite "classics". I understand how people can say that it's hard because of the language, but the story itself is just beautiful and disgusting at the same time.

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana | 31 comments I am curious about what you think about this book... It was hard for me to read it fast, because I found it boring... the long descriptions and such...
But the story was nice in its own way..
What do you all think?

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8982 comments Mod
Be sure to mark your spoilers with the new spoiler html code that can be found in the upper right corner of your text box.

unread topics | mark unread