Pianist Haven (for piano enthusiasts) discussion

Current Repertoire > Dream Pieces and Ideal Concerts

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) I'm taking the liberty of starting a discussion about pieces we want to play some day and concert programmes we'd love to give; things in that vein.

As for myself, I'd very much like to perform Ravel's La Valse [for two pianos, if I could find a partner] in front of a large screening of synchronized pictures from WWI-era Europe, preferably put together by someone in the film or graphic design field.

Also, Karlheinz Stockhausen's Piano Piece XIII is on my "I wanna play this for an audience before I die" list. It's pretty amazing: it's originally for Pianist and Bass, but there's also a solo version; it calls for whistling, counting in German, shouting, talking, mumbling, all kinds of bizarre things. It's on youtube, if anyone's interested.

Harvey | 31 comments Vrixton wrote: "I'm taking the liberty of starting a discussion about pieces we want to play some day and concert programmes we'd love to give; things in that vein.

As for myself, I'd very much like to perfo..."

Sounds a great project! I'd LOVE to do the graphics!

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 416 comments Mod
Wow, Vrixton, I would love to see this performance! You playing La Valse and Harvey working out the synchronized projections. Fantastic! If you do this, let us know here so we can attend.

Harvey | 31 comments Vrixton! You already have an audience!

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) Hahaha, awesomesauce!
What're some things ya'll would like to play or conduct some day?

message 6: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Klymene | 406 comments Mod
A concerto, with a full out orchestra behind me.

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) Klymene wrote: "A concerto, with a full out orchestra behind me."
Omg, me too.

Harvey | 31 comments Vrixton wrote: "Hahaha, awesomesauce!
What're some things ya'll would like to play or conduct some day?"

A pipe dream but high on the list of so many to conduct would be Haydn's Creation and Beethoven's Choral Fantasy Op. 80... the list would go on... and on!

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) ahhhh the Choral Fantasy is amazing. I like it a lot better than I like Symphony 9, actually.

I really want to conduct Rite of Spring one day; that and the finale to Goetterdammerung.

Goetterdaemmerung was broadcast on my local station recently (KING FM, 98.1). I heard only twenty minutes of it (and the pre-broadcast interviews) -- then I had a student to teach.

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) I haven't heard the whole thing yet, myself. I started out with Das Rheingold and by the end of Act 1 of Die Waluere I was all Wagner'd out.

The Immolation Scene/Finale of Goetterdammerung is really great, though.

message 12: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

That's a long word.

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) German's intense like that, what with all the compounds.
I don't speak it, myself, but I rather wish I did lol

In English, it's usually translated as Twilight of the Gods

The Airship Librarian (TheAirshipLibrarian) | 143 comments Mod
I've never heard this piece before, but by the name it sounds very intense!

Way,
The Ring cycle is made up of four operas by Richard Wagner. The whole story and especially the music is extremely intense! The cycle is usually performed four nights in a row -- or sometimes there's a short break between them.

The "home" of the Ring cycle is Bayreuth, Germany. Some people travel there just to see/hear it. It's like a pilgrimage for them.

The Ring has been performed in summertime in Seattle several times. When I was married, my husband wanted me to learn about these operas and go with him, so I did. In fact, we went to all four operas two different years. I enjoyed them, but he slept through every opera. Expensive naps!

Wow! That sounds exciting! I think I'm going to look it up to see if I can find a recording of it.

It would be such an amazing experience to see it in Bayreauth or seeing live at all. That's really great that you got to go. Though, I'm not completely sure I understand how one sleeps through an opera :)

Vrixton Phillips (SirRedcrosse) Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "Wow! That sounds exciting! I think I'm going to look it up to see if I can find a recording of it.

It would be such an amazing experience to see it in Bayreauth or seeing live at all. That's reall..."

Well you've got plenty to choose from! Haha, it's been recorded a number of times, what with it being a major event in the history of music. [Personally, I'm not a huge fan of it, so far, or of Wagner's style in general, from what I've heard]

I've always wanted to see it in person too, but most interestingly, a friend of mine alerted me to The Metropolitan Opera's intention of performing the entire cycle next year. The set design is spectacular. It's all high-tech and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDUUJz...
see for yourself :D
I'm more excited about the performance itself than the actual operas, I must admit. I hope they release it on DVD.

And speaking of future performances, I am hoping beyond all hope that Orange Mountain Music [Philip Glass's marketing... people, I guess] records the upcoming revival of Einstein on the Beach [I may have mentioned that before. Is my excitement showing? lol]
For everyone unfamiliar with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0SgFg...
this is just a small clip of music from the massive, 5-hour-with-no-intermission minimalist opera loosely based on the idea of Einstein's life and effect on history. Very loosely.

[/rant] gosh, I want to be a music history professor so badly one day haha

Vrixton wrote:

gosh, I want to be a music history professor so badly one day haha

I can imagine you lecturing before a class and playing selections on the piano to illustrate whatever you're teaching. Your enthusiasm is contagious and the students will learn so much!

Way,
This song gave me the shivers ... and then I read about the film it came from (While I Live). Wow.
Technically, would a pianist need extra fingers? There's a lot going on in this song.

In my teacher's studio, two girls played this duet and then their younger sister played the rendition for the one piano.
It was about three years ago and I've wanted to play it ever since. My teacher told me yesterday that she thought I was ready!

I think you can play it with ten fingers. I hope anyway, because I really don't have extra fingers lying around.

message 22: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Eeep! my mom just texted me and said that my aunt wants to take me to Europe! My aunt is one of the top piano teachers in Indonesia. And she wants to take me to Europe!!! I'm so excited! We aren't sure if I'll actually go, but oh, goodness, it'd be a dream come true.... but then again, there goes my summer job.

Fab.. fab... fabulous!!! Please let us know as you learn the details. I hope you can go. Nice aunt!

Kenny | 7 comments Yesterday I posted a link to a humorous video of a Stockhausen piece... but this one is no joke... 8 minutes of sustained brilliance by Ivo Pogorelich as he tackles the third part of Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit". Part three is called 'Scarbo'. To me, this is some of the finest playing I have ever heard... see what you think.

http://youtu.be/_pFsMqVr3B8

This is stellar! I hadn't ever heard this piece, so thank you for introducing it. Mr. Pogorelich plays piano with his whole body here, and I think this piece requires it. It looks as if his fingers had black on them from the keys, or am I mistaken?

message 26: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Oh! My piano told us about Ivo Pogorelich! He's like the musical embodiment of scandalous. He married his piano teacher. In the Chopin competition, one of the judges dropped out because Pogorelich wasn't admitted into the next round. She declared that Pogorelich was a genius.

Kenny | 7 comments The judge that dropped out was Marta Argerich, just one of the ten best pianists on the planet... Pogorelich's talent is spectacular!

message 28: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I've never heard him. I must get around to it soon. Everyone's talking about him.

Kylaia,

Have you heard any more about the possible trip to Europe with you piano-teacher aunt? I imagine she will know some amazing places and events to show you.

message 30: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Ah, sadly, it didn't work out. But we've started talking about me taking a gap year after I finish High school.

Can you apply to colleges/conservatories and gain admission, with the gap year agreed by them?

message 32: by Klymene, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

From what my counselor said, I can do that. But really it depends on the college. Then again, having a gap year will give me more experience at the end of it than at the beginning of it. So why audition before, when I'll probably be better afterwards?

Oh, I see. Might you be able to travel to Indonesia to see your grand-aunt? ;-)

Lobstergirl All the Chopin Preludes. There's differing thought about how the preludes should be set into a program: all in succession? Or one prelude serving as a prelude to something else by Chopin in the same key? My ears like to hear them in succession. I've listened to them enough that if the next one doesn't come up, I'm still expecting to hear it. And they're short enough that it's not too taxing to hear them all in a row, in contrast to hearing all the Etudes, which is a bit much.

An all-Schubert program. If you've got 1:45:08 to spare, here's video of Alfred Brendel masterfully playing three Schubert Sonatas, D. 958, D. 959, D. 960.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WliGyJ...

Montana Phan (PhanofMontana) | 30 comments My dream concert would probably be to be another Victor Borge. He was an excellent pianist and comedian. =D
Here is a link to one of his performances.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyArTM...

unread topics | mark unread