Earth's Children discussion

Update from Jean M. Auel on Book 6

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 109 comments Mod
Here's a reply from Jean to a letter from a fellow fan in California, USA, Anne P, dated August 19, 2008. She asked Jean if she had ever considered having Kendall assist her as Anne McCaffrery did with her son Todd before turning the dragon series over to him. Here's Jean's response:

Dear Ms. P____,

Thank you for your letter. Book 6 is progressing nicely -- and I'm getting there -- but it isn't yet finished. And I'm now thinking there will be a seventh book because I don't think I will be able to tell the story in only one more book.

No, I have never considered collaborating with anyone on my books. It's my story, and I don't feel anyone else could tell it the way I want it told. When I first began writing, I wrote the first draft of the entire six-book series at one time in one single burst of creativity. I know where I'm going with the story, but the research is extensive and takes time, and I'm not getting any younger.

The only collaborators I have are those who read my books. I have long maintained that every book is only half written by the author; the reader adds the other half. Because of background, education, experience, and knowledge, each reader relates to a book differently. In effect, each reader reads a different book, even if reading the same words.

I appreciated hearing from you.

With best wishes,
(signature)
Jean M Auel

Crystal | 29 comments Thank you so much for posting that letter, its given me hope that she will finish writing the 6th someday! And I cant believe shes going to write a 7th?? Thats great news, im just not looking forward to waiting for it.

message 3: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I know. I have been reading this series for more than 15 years now... I am just glad that I didn't start when it first came out (don't think I was born yet to be honest). I can't imagine waiting for 30 years for 6 books... I hope she lives long enough to finish the series. And she better not break up Ayla and Jondalar. She'd probably end up on a mafia hit list!

Crystal | 29 comments Ha ha, one of my friends has been reading the books since they first came out, shes pretty much fed up with waiting, but I know she wont be able to resist when it finally happens. Luckily I discovered them in 2002 so I didnt have to wait long for the 5th. I heard a rumour she had died, and so for about 6 months I believed this until a lady at a book store told me she was still alive!! But I just love them so I keep on waiting. Ill probably have chickens ill be so excited when the next one comes out!

Kelly (loderkelly) | 4 comments I recently met a guy who was named Jondalar, I asked him if he was named after the books, It was so funny the look he gave me as he then got really shy and said yes my mom loves those books. LOL. I also know a girl named Ayla after the series.

I am curanttly obtaining the audio collection and on my way to reading for the 3rd time.

Crystal | 29 comments Wow his mum must be a huge fan! I really love the name Ayla anyway. Yeah I have 'Cave Bear' in audio edition, its great if you can ignore the American accent, luckily I can! Its great to just chuck on when doing house work, it actually makes it fun! Have either of you read anything similar??

Kelly (loderkelly) | 4 comments I loved The First Americans series by William Sarbande. In my opinion its the only other series I've found that really compares to Earth Children. It is set in the ice age around the same time period.The only other books I've found that came close were The First North Americans series by Kathleen O'neil Gear & W. Michael Gear but if I recall correctly they are more Native American history. Which is also good. I find the time period of Earth Children to be very interesting its hard to find others like it.

message 8: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Kelly wrote: "I recently met a guy who was named Jondalar, I asked him if he was named after the books, It was so funny the look he gave me as he then got really shy and said yes my mom loves those books. LOL. I..." Wow. A guy named Jondalar? His parent's must have hated him. Of course, I was at Costco a couple of months ago and the guy at the check-out was named Kal-el. I just looked at him and said, "Your parents were big Superman fans, eh?" He got that same shy and quite look and mumbled yeah. Lol, some parents are so cruel.

Crystal | 29 comments Kelly Ive read 'The People Of The Wolf' by Kathleen O'neil Gear & W. Michael Gear too but I didnt really like it, I just found it was more of a drama, like the characters were all fighting with each other, it reminded me of The Bold and The Beautiful a bit, sorry if you really liked it, but i couldnt keep reading the rest of the series. Jean Auel is so incredibly thorough in her research and when I read her novels I learn so much about the first humans, I find it so interesting.
Hey Rachel, I agree that poor boy is doomed to having superman taunts all his life, that so mean! Hey where are you guys from anyway, cause Im all the way in Australia on the Gold Coast (the East Coast)

message 10: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I am in Seattle, WA. It's about 2 1/2 hours south of Whistler, BC. I figure you would know where that is because every time I go to Whistler 3/4 of the people are Aussies. You guys must really love to ski.

message 11: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Ok, it is really funny. Now that I know you are Australian, when I am reading your comments, in my head I hear all of them with an Australian accent.

Jennifer (kajouka) | 5 comments Great letter! I just joined the group because I can't wait for book six. As a note for Crystal: People of the Wolf is far from their best book. I picked up that series as well looking for something like Auel's books. I have read all the gear's books in that series (there are 14ish) and Wolf is probably like book 11 on my list. Read people of the Owl. It's fantastic.

Anyway, back to Auel, I am hoping she doesn't take as long to write six as she did book five. It was what, over ten years? Book four was already out when I read 1-4, but I still had to seven years for book five.

message 13: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Jennifer, it was about the same for me. I think that book four had just come out (because I have it in hardback), when I picked up the series. It has been torture in between. You should check out www.ecfans.com for updates. I get their newsletter (which is where I got the letter I posted). The woman who runs it is in contact with Auel and her son on occasion, so the info is more than rumors. We are glad to have you Jennifer. My little group is finally growing, lol. It's nice to know we EC lovers aren't alone in the world. And I am putting People of the Owl on my TBR list right now...

Jennifer (kajouka) | 5 comments As an aside, People of the Wolf does set some history and religious foundation for a number of the future books. It's not bad, it's just that I think their ability to draw you into the characters improves with their later books.

And I'll check out the website! I've probably been there before some years back looking for updates, and I had seen recently on wiki about the possible 7th book (which is both good and bad.. more to read.. more waiting..).

I think 2008 was the first year I didn't reread the whole series as well! I need that new book :)

message 15: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Gosh, I know. I actually bought a new set last year because my old set was falling apart. Thank goodness for paperback.

Jessica | 4 comments Jenn also got me into the Gear books. I concur, People of the Wolf isn't the best, but it's not terrible either. It took me several chapters to really get into it, but then it was fine. And YES YES YES to People of the Owl. :)

On topic: a book 7 would be awesome!! I pretty much love series of books because you can continuously see what's going on with the characters. It's always sad when a series ends and you want to know what happens next.

message 17: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I wonder if she got the idea for a seventh book from reading Harry Potter? lol

Crystal | 29 comments Ha Ha Gday mate!! Rachel I tried to start my own little Goodreads Jean Auel club but nobody joined, (sad Face) so when I found yours I was a bit stoked. (aussie word for you there) Hey Jennifer, thanks for the tip, ill definately give People of the Owl a read, but do you have to read them in order? Cause It just feels wrong reading out of order.

Crystal | 29 comments Kelly Ive just started reading a series of novels of Americas prehistory by Linda Lay Shuler, the first is called 'She Who Remembers' and its pretty good, but the interesting thing is Jean Auel has read and reviewed this series and her comment is on the front cover, she sais 'I loved this compelling story.It would not let me go!'Jean M.Auel thats the main reason why I picket it up!

Kelly (loderkelly) | 4 comments Yes, I've read that trilogy by Linda Lay Shuler. They were good but no Jean Auel. I just started a book called The Mammoth Stone by Margaret Allan, its also a trilogy. So far I'm having a hard time getting sucked into the plot but i'm not giving up yet. Has anyone read William Sarabandes The First Americans series??? They are really good. No I'm not a big fan of the Kathleen O'Neil Gear, I recently tried to re-read those and it just wasent catching my interest. Not sure, I think it might have been People of the Wolf. But if I recall when I read this series years ago I did like it. So maybe its that one book that isn't so hot.

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments Yeah, I've read a lot of the others mentioned here as well. "She Who Remembers" was good. In fact, there is a sequel to it, also good. I think it was called, "Beat the Drums" or something like that. I enjoyed the letter also and I am guessing her cancer must be gone if she is planning to stick around long enough to write a 7th book as well. That's fantastic.

Tierney | 17 comments i live in england, and on the book website were i buy books from (whsmiths) it says book 6 is out on january the 1st. Cant wait to read it ! :) the title hasnt even been released yet! x

message 23: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Yes, our Amazon says the same thing, but her publisher hasn't announced it yet. The best that I have heard is that it will be out "some time in 2010", but I don't think it will be January 1st as it the title would be released and it would likely be available for pre-order by now. Amazon did the same thing with #3 in the Dean Koontz Frankenstein books, and just kept moving the date for like a year. It drove me nuts.

Tierney | 17 comments Lol, well it says on whsmith i can preorder it?
I dunno, i just want to read it! :) x

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments According to Ec.com (Earth's Children.com)

BOOK 6 STATUS: Jean is currently writing the 6th book in the Earth's Children series. Until she has the final draft ready for her editor, there will be no estimated publication dates or title from authentic sources. As soon as I know anything, it will be posted HERE and sent out in an EC Updates Newsletter. If she was deceased or otherwise incapacitated, you'd find THAT here, as well, so disregard rumors as just that. For more information, see the Last Updates to the EC Updates Newsletter. 30Apr09

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments According to "Ask"

Glad you asked...
She has been working on the sixth book for quite some time. There will not be an update on the release date until she has the draft turned over to her editor. Rumors are saying that the sixth book, Earths Children, should be out on January 1, 2010

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments From this link: http://carolinanavy.com/fleet2/f2/zau...

From an interview that took place in 2001, prior to the release of “The Shelters of Stone”. The interview began by discussing why Auel took so long between the fourth book, Plains of Pasage, published in 1990, and the fifth book, Shelters of Stone. The end of the interview talks about the last (?) book in the series. The full interview can be found by listening to the end of the last disk from “The Shelters of Stone”, as recorded on CD by Brilliance Audio on Compact Disc, the unabridged library edition.

Interviewer: “Um, not to nag you, but – um – The sixth book…”
Auel: “Mm-hmm.”
Interviewer: “Do you have a title for it?”
Auel: “No.”
Interviewer: And, do you have a projected publication date, or do you not want to talk about it?”
Auel: “I don’t have a projected date – I do think it will take much less time. Part of what took time this – this time, was that I did write a rough draft to the end of the series – ‘cause I needed to know where I was going, for sure. I mean, I did a rough draft when I first did it – I did a rough draft that I thought was going to be one novel called ’Earth’s Children’, and I thought it was going to be one big saga in six parts, and when I went back and started re-writing I realized I didn’t have one novel, I had a series of six books. So I - I knew from the beginning that this was going to be a series – before I ever finished the first one. Now, as I say – I have, sort of, you know, written – I - the ending wasn’t quite together in that first thing. I kinda had an idea where I was going, and I thought I knew, but now, since I’ve written to the end of the series – I’m thinking – I’m just rethinking – I don’t know where I’m going yet. I’m thinking one more volume at this stage in the game.”

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments Alert Me

You are signed up to receive an e-mail from us when this item is available.

Amazon lets you sign up to get an email when it's available and it says January 1st is the date!!!! Woot Wooot!!!!

Erica (eastersfanci2000) | 3 comments in a news letter that I got eairler this past year (09) She said that the book should be put on the market on 2010. I am signed up with Amazon also to receive and e-mail when it can be ordered! I hope it's sooner then later!

Tierney | 17 comments on whsmiths it says that its available within four weeks, yet ive just looked on amazon and it says its out on 1st january 2011?! x

Erica | 1 comments at this point I don't care if it's 2010 or 2011 as long as it gets here! lol

Sarah Martinez | 15 comments PLEASE let it be this year!!!!

Tierney | 17 comments Lol! I agree, i just wanna read the thing!! :) x

Erica (eastersfanci2000) | 3 comments I hear ya! I want it to been sooner then later!

message 35: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Tierney wrote: "on whsmiths it says that its available within four weeks, yet ive just looked on amazon and it says its out on 1st january 2011?! x"

Like I said, they did this with Dean Koontz's 3rd Frankenstein book. I think they get so many requests about when it will be published that they just make something up. They will keep pushing the date forward until they get an official date and it will keep people from asking too many questions. But I have heard through the grapevine that there is an anticipated 2010 release (it just might not be until December). Sigh.

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments I think I'll have to read the last book again to refresh my memory while I'm waiting on the next one.

message 37: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Book 5 was definitely one of my favorites. Maybe I will go through the whole series again. Although, usually when I do that, I start at Valley of Horses. There is only so many times you can read about the continued rape of a 10 year old girl. I find Clan of the Cave Bear hard to read now that I have a daughter that age.

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments Yeah but you must realize it was a different time then and 10 was more like 20 is now ... I think. They had to have grown up much faster back then, to survive. My grandmother was married at 15 and her mother was married at 12 ... hope you get the idea I'm trying to convey.

message 39: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Oh, totally. And especially in the clan. But it wasn't the age that bothered me (because most girls in her books lost their virginity along with the onset of menses) it was the assault. I am actually concerned about what is going to happen in the next book because there is that guy, Brukeval or something like that, who is part clan that hates her the same way that Broud hated her. I really hope he doesn't take it to the bad place.

Tonya (Tonya_Luvs_2_Read) | 11 comments I'm going to have to read it again ... it's been too long and I don't remember much. I remember all the books except the last one is pretty much gone, with the exception of a few parts. The Plains of Passage was mostly boring ... but once they got there, only a few things stand out in my mind ... yeah, I'm going to have to read Shelters of Stone again.

Tash | 14 comments I'm re-reading Clan of the Cave Bear, and (thank god) I just got past her finding out she's pregnant. I couldn't bear Broud raping her, even when I knew she would have Durc, and when a paragraph started with, 'she decided to hunt ptarmigan for Creb's favourite dish', I knew what was coming and I almost put down the book!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gold Coast (other topics)