My Big Fat Booky Challenge-athon discussion

Your books > Book Covers

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Jun 01, 2011 03:33AM) (new)

chucklesthescot | 2150 comments Mod
The cover of a book can be a big part of whether or not we choose that book. So tell us about the covers that you found attractive or ugly and whether the book actually lived up to its appearance!

message 2: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Jun 01, 2011 03:34AM) (new)

I'll start this one off with the Kelley Armstrong 'Women of the Otherworld' series as I just loved these covers. I enjoyed all the books except Dime Store Magic. I'm also a bit annoyed that the later books stopped coming out in this form so my collection now has different sizes and cover formats. Grrr.

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong, Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong, Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong, Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4) by Kelley Armstrong, Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5) by Kelley Armstrong, Broken (Women of the Otherworld, #6) by Kelley Armstrong, No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld, #7) by Kelley Armstrong, Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, #8) by Kelley Armstrong, Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9) by Kelley Armstrong, Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong, Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

message 3: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Another series I loved the covers of were the Morganville Vampires. It was the cover that made me pick it up and then the blurb made me buy book 1. I really enjoyed the book and look forward to eventually reading the rest of the series!

Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine, The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires) by Rachel Caine, Midnight Alley (Morganville Vampires, #3) by Rachel Caine, Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) by Rachel Caine, Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5) by Rachel Caine, Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) by Rachel Caine, Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7) by Rachel Caine, Kiss of Death (Morganville Vampires, #8) by Rachel Caine, Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9) by Rachel Caine, Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10) by Rachel Caine

message 4: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Why is it that I have so many beautiful covers and it just makes me want to read them all right now!!!

Deborah The last book I remember picking up purely based on its cover that I loved was The Thirteenth Tale The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. The summary sold me. Book lover, mysterious author, family secrets, and mysterious ghosts. I loved it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I read a lot of southern literature and if the cover doesn't look appealing to me I will skip over it. Unless the book has had really good reviews from people on here.

Maria (bookbug86) | 9 comments Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The cover drew me in, and I loved the story!

Cristen | 226 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Another series I loved the covers of were the Morganville Vampires. It was the cover that made me pick it up and then the blurb made me buy book 1. I really enjoyed the book and look forward to eve..."

Our Morganville covers here in the US don't like that! Yours are so much better! I hate that the marketing people here think we should get different silly covers from the UK

This is the cover for our first book in the Morganville series:
Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires Series #1) by Rachel Caine
So lame compared to UK version!

Angie (pinkindle) | 665 comments A few years ago while browsing at Borders, I saw this book Mouth To Mouth by Erin McCarthy on display, and thought the cover was really cute, so I bought it. I ended up really liking the book too. I don't think I've picked up another book just based on the cover though.

JackieB | 68 comments I've occasionally bought a book I already own because I love the cover on the new edition and dislike the cover on the old one. I feel slightly guilty about this, but cover art really matters to me, so I do it anyway.

message 11: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I like my books to have nice covers as well Jackie.I like to look at the cover each time I pick my book up. I guess that's part of what seduces me into trying all these new UF books!

Karen K. Miller (KarenKM) | 43 comments I've accidently bought the same book a few times because the cover was different. I feel so silly when I have to go back to the store to return the book.

message 13: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

That would be embarrassing! I hate it when books are published under two totally different titles as well-that leads to confusion when trying to collect a series!

JackieB | 68 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "That would be embarrassing! I hate it when books are published under two totally different titles as well-that leads to confusion when trying to collect a series!"

Yes, I've recently fallen into that trap. I've got the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The Lost Book of Salem. I've just found out they are the same book! It's infuriating, what is the point of changing the title?

Krysta (KrystaFig) Last year I was visiting my then-boyfriend (now-fiance) and had gone to the library with his mom.
I was browsing around and picked up The Death List because of the interesting cover and title. My soon-to-be mother-in-law checked it out for me and I loved it!

The Death List by Paul Johnston

message 16: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

JackieB wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "That would be embarrassing! I hate it when books are published under two totally different titles as well-that leads to confusion when trying to collect a series!"

Yes, I..."

I know it drives me crazy! And they don't bother telling you that it was published under a different name. They should have to print that clearly on the back or front cover so you know before you buy.

message 17: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Krysta wrote: "Last year I was visiting my then-boyfriend (now-fiance) and had gone to the library with his mom.
I was browsing around and picked up The Death List because of the interesting cover ..."

This sounds interesting. Oh great another one for the wishlist!!!

JackieB | 68 comments I've got a copy of The Death List by Paul Johnston lurking somewhere in my many piles of TBRs so I'm glad to read a good review of it.

message 19: by M (new)

M | 37 comments Books I have picked because of the cover:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown The Chronicles of Narnia (#1-7) by C.S. Lewis Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald Marley & Me  Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan Dewey  The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron

message 20: by Beth NC (last edited Jul 27, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Beth NC (BethNC) I almost didn't read The Pirate Queen  The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate by Alan Gold because it reminded me so much of a cheesy romance. I am really glad I read it anyway. Great book.

JenC. (jencornelius) I loved all of the Outlander covers:
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon (I'm still on the fence about this one since the shiny silver isn't the same faux leather feeling cover as the rest.)

until: An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon In real life this is a neon green that seriously hurts my eyes. WHYYYYY???? I love looking at them all lined up on my shelf, except the green one.

The deep green Voyager with the gold detail is my favorite!

JenC. (jencornelius) I started this series because of the first book's cover, and the third one is waiting for me on my library's hold shelf right now!

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 23: by JenC. (last edited Jul 27, 2011 07:45PM) (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) I've really enjoyed Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (high fantasy), but the book covers are horrible:

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6) by Robert Jordan A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7) by Robert Jordan The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9) by Robert Jordan Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10) by Robert Jordan Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11) by Robert Jordan The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12; A Memory of Light, #1) by Robert Jordan Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13; A Memory of Light, #2) by Robert Jordan

But they've been releasing new covers for the ebooks all by a different artist and if they'd publish them in hard copy I'd buy them all:
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6) by Robert Jordan A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7) by Robert Jordan The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9) by Robert Jordan Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10) by Robert Jordan Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11) by Robert Jordan The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12) by Robert Jordan Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time #13) by Robert Jordan

message 24: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Yeah, I see what you mean about the ebook covers looking nicer than the paper book version Jen.

Cristen | 226 comments One series that got me started because of the covers and I ended up enjoying was the Need Series:
Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones Captivate (Need, #2) by Carrie Jones Entice (Need, #3) by Carrie Jones

I love these covers, they're works of art!

message 26: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

A lot of YA books have great covers though not many live up to my expectations! Urban fantasy covers are usually good as well which is why I can't stop buying 'em...

Chris (ChrisMD) | 284 comments One thing that drives me crazy about covers is when the people aren't dressed appropriately for the time period.
The Paris Wife
This book takes place in the 1920s, but the woman is clearly dressed is the style of the late 40s, maybe 50s.
The same is true with a lot of the Lauren Willig "Pink Carnation" series, which is set in the early 1800s and many of the women on the covers are dressed for the mid-1800s.
The Deception of the Emerald Ring
---But I still love the series.

message 28: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Yeah you wonder why they think nobody will notice such obvious mistakes.

message 29: by M (last edited Aug 20, 2011 07:00AM) (new)

M | 37 comments Earth's Children
I love this series, although did not read it, not because of the great reviews - but because of the beautiful covers which comes in two editions-

My favorite edition:
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel (in this edition:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/94... )
rest of the series: The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #2) by Jean M. Auel The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3) by Jean M. Auel The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4) by Jean M. Auel
The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children #5) by Sandra Burr The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children, #6) by Jean M. Auel

Looks good, isn't it?

The Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants
A nice chick lit series, those first book and second-three were adapted into movies with Black Lively, America Ferrera etc. The covers are not beautiful, but really match the free spirit of the book (;

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #1) by Ann Brashares The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #2) by Ann Brashares Girls in Pants  The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, #3) by Ann Brashares Forever in Blue  The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #4) by Ann Brashares.

His Dark Materials
It is actually a trilogy, those first volume was adapted into a great movie with Nicole Kidman. It is fantasy, full of imgaintaion and set in another beautiful world. Go, animal demons!

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman
Did not mentioned the first book, The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman, because its featured cover does not match the previous books.

A Song of Ice And Fire
Have read the book and finished last week the first book - very very VERY beautiful! My favorite ever! Although I have to say the covers are super ugly.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin - Except for "a dance with dragons', which is pretty.

message 30: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Aug 21, 2011 06:35AM) (new)

Message 32 has been deleted.(see message 27 of From the moderator)

Please only advertise your web site in the Self Promotion part of the group. Other adverts in book conversations will be deleted by the moderator.This section is for pointing out covers that you have come across in your reading and have a goodreads link.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 104 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Another series I loved the covers of were the Morganville Vampires. It was the cover that made me pick it up and then the blurb made me buy book 1.

I love the covers of the Morganville Vampires books as well. Well those covers anyway, some of the other covers I've seen on here aren't as nice.

Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles, #1) by Carol Goodman
this one springs to mind for me... the cover drew my attnetion to it, the blurb sounded interesting, and I enjoyed the book. I only finished it the other night.

I also like what I consider the original Sookie Stackhouse covers...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris

message 32: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I liked those Sookie covers as well. I had just got the first 7 or 8 in that style when the covers for the TV series came out and I couldn't get the other ones. So I have book 9 in its True Blood cover, 10 and 11 in hardback. Grrr!

Anna (RockCh1ck) chucklesthescot wrote: "I liked those Sookie covers as well. I had just got the first 7 or 8 in that style when the covers for the TV series came out and I couldn't get the other ones. So I have book 9 in its True Blood c..."

ooo I have it went they change the covers on book series! My Sookie Stackhouse is all mixed now because of this! My slight OCD tendencies mean i may need to re-buy in a cover format i like :(.

Covers I Love..

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist Read
The Passage by Justin Cronin Read
The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries  Omnibus 1 (Aurora Teagarden, #1-4) by Charlaine Harris Read
The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries  Omnibus 2 (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, #5-8) by Charlaine Harris To be read.
Girl in the Attic by Valerie Mendes Read
Incubus by Carol Goodman Read
The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom Read
The People Next Door by Christopher Ransom To be read
The Haunting of James Hastings  by Christopher Ransom To be read
The Woman In Black by Susan Hill Currently Reading
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) by Charlaine Harris This Version of Sookie Stackhouse covers.. Read and awaiting release of the next one.
The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1) by Karen Mahoney Bought because of cover (shameful) lol .. To be read
The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2) by Karen Mahoney Again bought because of cover and part of the series as above. To be read.
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent To be read.

Books covers I don't like but want to read anyways.
Nurse Anna's War by Mary Jane Staples

A cover I really didn't like and would have never bothered with if it didn't come with such a strong recommendation;

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine Read

I just thought this one looked dated..

Vikki (silverstarz) | 104 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "I liked those Sookie covers as well. I had just got the first 7 or 8 in that style when the covers for the TV series came out and I couldn't get the other ones. So I have book 9 in its True Blood c..."

I hate the latest version of the covers here... Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris
It just looks so wrong beside the other books :o(

Anna (RockCh1ck) Vikki wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I liked those Sookie covers as well. I had just got the first 7 or 8 in that style when the covers for the TV series came out and I couldn't get the other ones. So I have bo..."

Yeah I think it looks a bit tacky to bright :(.. i dot mine the character versions to much like this
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris

But still it annoys me that the characters differ from the book to series.
*not that i am fussy or any thing*

Erin *Series Addict* (ErinPaperbackstash) I just got in the mail the rest of the Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books last night and the covers are a lot of fun:

Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs

Erin *Series Addict* (ErinPaperbackstash) Referring to Sookie covers I love the originals. Especially with the "glitter" you can feel. I know Charlaine Harris really liked the author and linked to her.

Tearsa (turrsaturrsa) I just finished reading Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma and totally picked it up because of the intriguing, beautiful cover. Turns out it was so hard to get through. It put a halt on my reading because I dreaded it (unfortunately I feel the need to complete every book I pick up). I was sadly disappointed.

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire | 47 comments I hope I don't get shot here because of my opinion but the covers to me don't really matter. I mean I enjoy a beautiful cover as much as the next person but I don't pick books based on the covers. Of course I'm attracted to pretty covers but once I pick up the pretty cover book I read the synopsis. If I don't like the content of the book I put it back whether its had a nice cover or not. I have read some wonderful books with "ugly" covers, horrible books with "beautiful" covers as well as horrible books with "Ugly" covers and wonderful books with "Beautiful covers". Although it is a plus when the book is up my alley and has a nice cover, but for me its not a necessity

Redfox5 | 147 comments Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick Has a beautiful cover and thats why I picked up the book. I was tricked though because the story just wasn't that great and I'm not keen on angels.

message 41: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I really didn't like Hush Hush but I agree about the cover art. A lot of YA stuff is very pretty.

message 42: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "I hope I don't get shot here because of my opinion but the covers to me don't really matter. I mean I enjoy a beautiful cover as much as the next person but I don't pick books based on the covers. ..."

I don't think anyone here is actually saying they only buy pretty covers and ignore the blurb. My point is that if you have limited time to choose in the book shop, a nice cover is more likely to get you to lift the book than a horrible one. Doesn't mean you buy it unless it sounds interesting as well of course.

Hayley Noble (hayleypolley) | 3 comments Getting me some of those harry potters!

Redfox5 | 147 comments oo helloo. Didn't know you joined this group! I showed them to Hannah and she was disgusted by them. She still thinks they should only be read with their original covers. *sigh*

Hayley Noble (hayleypolley) | 3 comments Ive only just joined! Hannah is silly! She has issues with change! I may treat myself to them at some point, ours are falling apart and they are lovely covers!

Have you noticed I have been very active on here this evening :) :) I will get back into it, even have set myself a booky challenge!

This forum is bad for my though, now I want to read about 20 of the books on here just for the covers, I'm one of those *bows head in shame* xxx

Redfox5 | 147 comments I have noticed how active you've been. I'm impressed!
I think your first booky challenge should be to read The Geneva Decision (Pia Sabel, #1) by Seeley James:P

Everyone this is my little sister ^

message 48: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Hi Hayley *waves* Oh I've added tons of books that I've seen others reading in all my groups. If I had time to look at wishlists I'd REALLY be in trouble...

Isabella Modra (IsabellaModra) | 5 comments There's a list here of amazing book covers:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

I particularly like A City of a Thousand Dolls, I think it's a beautiful and simple cover and definitely drew me in! Some amazing covers in that link :)

Hayley Noble (hayleypolley) | 3 comments I've been looking at all my recomendations and peoples wishlists tonight! ... my amazon bill really will be a big one!!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Men of the Otherworld (other topics)
Personal Demon (other topics)
Bitten (other topics)
Stolen (other topics)
Dime Store Magic (other topics)
More...