Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > June Read: Southern Gothic or Summer Ghost?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 247 comments Hey guys and gals. Sorry for the late thread here but I just got back from vacation from the south and I thought it would be a good idea to have either Southern Gothic as our theme or Summer Ghost story (meaning a story that takes place during the summer months). I would like to hear suggestions. I will then create a poll this Wednesday.
Thanks!

message 2: by Gatorman (new)

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) What about Twilight? Err... This one: Twilight by William Gay.

"A Southern gothic novel about an undertaker who won’t let the dead rest."

message 4: by Tressa (last edited May 23, 2011 01:01PM) (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Loving the southern gothic theme, Jason. Where did you visit?

Once again, I'd like to nominate Elementals.

I'll try to think of some more, too.

Welcome back!

message 5: by Lou (new)

Lou (LouPendergrast) | 36 comments I think southern gothic maybe Suttree by Cormac McCarthy by Cormac McCarthy.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4543 comments Would The Killer Inside Me count?

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason | 247 comments Tressa wrote: "Loving the southern gothic theme, Jason. Where did you visit?

Once again, I'd like to nominate Elementals.

I'll try to think of some more, too.

Welcome back!"

We went to South Carolina, filled with it's legends and ghosts.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Oh, I was just telling Brooks the other day how I want to go to South Carolina. It's a beautiful place to visit, so I've heard.

message 9: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Becky wrote: "What about Twilight? Err... This one: Twilight by William Gay.

"A Southern gothic novel about an undertaker who won’t let the dead rest.""

I think I'll read this even if it doesn't get selected, it sounds intriguing. :)

message 10: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1348 comments I live in South Carolina and I can't come up with a single suggestion. I think my brain is still recovering from The Keep.

Dan Simmons sounds good. I've been hearing good things about him and have yet to check him out.

message 11: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. (Kasia_S) | 2540 comments Gatorman wrote: "How about Summer of Night by Dan Simmons?"

One of my favorite books, amazing!~

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason | 247 comments Poll is now open.

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmckeejr) | 201 comments Mccarthy's Child of God is a good Southern Gothic and makes beautiful use of language.

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments Since there's a tie, do we have a co-June read?

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason | 247 comments Well we have a tie. Summer of Night and The Killer Inside Me.
How does everyone feel about doing two novels for the month? Or, should we have a quick one day vote to decide?

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments I vote for two novels.

message 17: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments I vote for two novels.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments I'm very interested in reading The Killer Inside Me. Not so interested in Summer of Night, which I read years ago but it didn't leave an impression on me.

message 19: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments I loved Summer of Night but would also like to read Killer (assuming it's available for the Nook).

message 20: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) I vote we vote to break the tie.(I'm low on funds and don't think I should order two right now.)

message 21: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1348 comments I'm cool with whatever.

message 22: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmckeejr) | 201 comments Killer Inside Me introduced me to the Noir genre. Fantastic read and one that can be read in a couple days easy. If anybody needs the ebook, lemme know

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Nora, you can just read one if you want. And if both books are up for the group read, everyone can choose whichever they want to read.

message 24: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments is Killer Inside Me pretty close to the movie adaptation?

message 25: by Gatorman (last edited May 27, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments Just checked and Killer is not available on the Nook. Would have to get in paperback from B&N.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Woo hoo. I can borrow a copy of Killer from the library.

message 27: by 11811 (Eleven) (last edited May 27, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1348 comments My library has Crime Novels : American Noir of the 1950s. Killer is included in the book.

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 4514 comments Gatorman wrote: "Just checked and Killer is not available on the Nook. Would have to get in paperback from B&N."

Oh No! I also have a Nook. I wonder if it's on audible?

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmckeejr) | 201 comments If you guys enjoy Killer, try Pop. 1280 (from a couple years later) which takes Inside Me one-step further.

message 30: by Jason (last edited May 27, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4543 comments Anyone who wants a copy of Killer Inside me, send me a PM. I will be away for most this weekend, but I should be able to get you a copy Saturday night.

EDIT: Also tell me what format you need it in, I can use Calibre to set it up for you. :)

message 31: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 179 comments Eileen wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Just checked and Killer is not available on the Nook. Would have to get in paperback from B&N."

Oh No! I also have a Nook. I wonder if it's on audible?"

Not on audible. I just checked. It's also not available for kindle until November this year. I think it's going to be paperbacks for everyone this go round. I just got one on ebay for $9.90 with shipping.

message 32: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 9457 comments Jason wrote: "Anyone who wants a copy of Killer Inside me, send me a PM. I will be away for most this weekend, but I should be able to get you a copy Saturday night.

EDIT: Also tell me what format you need it i..."

What are our format options?

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Jason wrote: "EDIT: Also tell me what format you need it in, I can use Calibre to set it up for you. :) ..."

Yer getting too technical for me. I have a Kindle.

message 34: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 4514 comments Gatorman wrote: "Jason wrote: "Anyone who wants a copy of Killer Inside me, send me a PM. I will be away for most this weekend, but I should be able to get you a copy Saturday night.

EDIT: Also tell me what form..."

pdf works great with my Nook

message 35: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1348 comments Mobi for Kindle. ePub for Nook.

message 36: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Tressa wrote: "Nora, you can just read one if you want. And if both books are up for the group read, everyone can choose whichever they want to read."

Problem is I can't decide which one. oh well, I'll figure it out.

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 4543 comments Tressa, I'll shoot you the Kindle file Sat night.

Gator, shoot me a pm with your email addy if you're interested. I can send it as both an epub and pdf file.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Thanks, CJ!

message 39: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Well that decision was made for me, I can't get Summer of Night through my book club so I'm going with Killer Inside me.

message 40: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. (Kasia_S) | 2540 comments I must be slow today, where is the link to vote? :P

message 41: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Kasia, scroll all the way up to the top and look at the highlighted list at the right. Just click on Poll and it should take you there.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Oh, wait, are you being facetious?

message 43: by Lee (new)

Lee | 3169 comments Just put a hold on Killer...surprised they had a copy. Already read Summer.....awesome book!

message 44: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. (Kasia_S) | 2540 comments Tressa wrote: "Oh, wait, are you being facetious?"

No I swear , just an honest question... I see Killer won , ha I was going to root for it, it was actually the 1st book Mark send me years ago.

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments After I posted how to find the poll, I thought, "Hey, Kasia's voted in many polls. She must be pulling our leg."

Even if a mod doesn't post a link to the poll, you can always get to it from the same place every time, no matter what page you're on in HA. It'll always be listed upper right-hand corner. Remember to see the book covers you have to go the poll and then click on comments.

message 46: by Erica (new)

Erica (BookPsycho) | 624 comments Found a copy at my library, yay! Looks short and sweet.

message 47: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. (Kasia_S) | 2540 comments Tressa wrote: "After I posted how to find the poll, I thought, "Hey, Kasia's voted in many polls. She must be pulling our leg."

Even if a mod doesn't post a link to the poll, you can always get to it from the s..."

I see it, "polls" at the bottom! I only voted 3 times I think, and there was info at bottom of HA main page, maybe I got confused lol... my cold must have taken a lot out of me.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments OK. Glad I could help. You never know around here if someone's kidding, lol.

message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23382 comments Yeah, I noticed.

message 50: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (Ben21) | 217 comments Speaking of southern gothic, there's a freaking awesome cemetery in old town savannah Georgia. It's both beautiful and creepy at the same time. If ya ever make down that way, make sure ya check it out.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Summer of Night (other topics)
Twilight (other topics)
The Elementals (other topics)
Suttree (other topics)
The Killer Inside Me (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dan Simmons (other topics)
Cormac McCarthy (other topics)