Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenge Home (Summer 2011) > Reading w/Style Completed Tasks - Summer 2011

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 265-314)    post a comment »

Liz M | 2588 comments Thank you everyone for a relaxing Summer Challenge!

message 313: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
+10 pts - Book
540 pts - Grand total

That's All, Folks! for me, that is!

Tobey | 211 comments Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz

While I have been enjoying this series immensely, I’d have to honestly say that this one was a bit less than I expected. Koontz had the reader going in a couple of different directions with storylines that diverged and for most of it I was wondering where they were going. In they end, he tied them up nicely with a few surprises that I really wasn’t expecting. I thought parts of the ending were very anti-climactic. I guess I was expecting more, something different, I’m not sure. All in all, a very entertaining series. Too bad it’s done….or is it?

+10 Task
+5 Review

Task Total=15
Grand Total=280

Unless I can finish my current book today, this is my last post for this challenge! Loved it!

Kate S | 1620 comments Selected Tales by Edgar Allan Poe
+10 Task
+5 Oldies (1809-1849)

Loyal in Love by Jean Plaidy
+10 Task

Lost by Gregory Maguire
+10 Task

Post Total: 35
Summer Grand Total: 995

This will be my last post for the summer!! Looking forward to a challenging and interesting fall. . .

message 309: by itpdx (last edited Aug 30, 2011 11:29AM) (new)

itpdx | 464 comments Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Brennert tells the story of the Moloka'i's Leper Colony through one woman's life. Rachel is exiled to the Kalaupapa peninsula in 1893 as a 7 year old. This is after Father Damien and others have stabilized and improved the conditions there. But as with other programs, funding and oversight waxes and wanes during her lifetime. It is a story of a life and family and community. The book also brushes against the some of the history of Hawaii from Kingdom to statehood. It also touches on the blending of ethnicities and religions that I find fascinating about Hawaii. Catholic, Buddhist, and Mormon cemeteries as well as burials in the Hawaiian way are mentioned.

This would be a good book for anyone visiting Hawaii.

Previous total: 180
Task plus review: +15
New total: 195

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3023 comments Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo 3 stars

This is at the top of my 3 stars reads. Parts of it was 4 stars, including much of the last 100 pages.

Russo always has a man as his central character, but the motives and emotions in the other novels I've read seemed universal to me. This is more a man's story than a woman's story. One of the relationships explored is that of friendship between two men. I learned some of the stuff men talk about - stuff, frankly, that I knew in the periphery of my brain but that I really don't want to know. At the same time, it was reinforced in me there are some things men don't talk about - at least not with other men - most particularly their deepest emotions and the memories associated with them.

+10 Task
+ 5 Review

Grand Total = 230

Last post of the season!

Liz M | 2588 comments Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void
by Mary Roach
+10 task

Great House
by Nicole Krauss
+10 task

Grand Total: 320 points

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 944 comments Last one probably..."Black Box" by Julie Schumacher.

+10 task
+5 Review

Where to start...I was assigned this book for a Summer Reading book talk. I am to lead a discussion on it on Thursday. The main character has a sister who is suffering from depression. The main character takes the responsibility upon herself to be her "sister's keeper". It isn't so much about the sister who is depressed. It's more about how depression affects the whole family. In the author's notes, she mentions that several people have told her, this box shouldn't be published. I ask, why not? This issue is still important now as it ever was. It just doesn't go away. There will always be teens, adults even who suffer from depression. I gave this book 5 stars.

Grand Total 225

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Rebekah wrote: "Burn by Nevada Barr
+10 pts - Book

The Street Of Seven Stars by Mary Roberts Rinehart
+10 pts - Book

American Genealogical..."</i>

I forgot to add Oldies points for [book:The Street Of Seven Stars

It was published in 1914

+5 points - Oldies
Grand total 460 pts

message 304: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 29, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress
+10 pts this book
455 pts - Grand Total

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 944 comments That's alot of books.

Norma | 248 comments Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery #3) by JA Konrath
Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden #7) by Charlaine Harris

Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden #8) by Charlaine Harris
Without any Warning (Samantha Jamison Mystery #2) by Peggy A Edelheit

Killing Time by Linda Howard

Cane Candy Murder by Joanne Fluke, Laura Levine, Leslie Meier

Stalking the Angel by Robert Crais

Going Dutch by Katie Fforde

Devil's Food Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke

Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels #4) by JA Konrath

7th Heaven by James Patterson

A Season for Samantha by Kathryn Kirkwood

Sugar & Spice by Fern Michaels, Joanne Fluke, Beverly Barton and Shirley Jump

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
+5 jumbo

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

Fuzzy Navel by JA Konrath

Total points this post 165
Total points 325

message 301: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 28, 2011 12:01PM) (new)

message 300: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 28, 2011 12:01PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig
+10pts - book
+5 pts - jumbo (560 pgs)

The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert
+10pts - book

+25 pts - This Post
415 pts - Grand Total

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 944 comments "Second Wave: Accorna's Children" by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Scarborough

+10

Grand Total: 210

message 297: by Arow (new)

Arow | 228 comments My last two books are:

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell

I was very pleasently surprised by this novel. My friend lent it to me and it really was an interesting and quick summer read.

+10 Task
Task Total = 10

Sisterhood Everlasting: A Novel by Ann Brashares

This was a good follow up to the series. I was
sceptical at first but she really won me over. If you have already read the first four books- I highly recommand this follow up 10 years later.

+10 Task
Task Total = 10

New Grand Total = 275

itpdx | 464 comments The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin
Review: This is a story of political intrigue and mystery set in 19th century Istanbul. A lot of interesting bits of information about the culture and life of Istanbul presented against a well-paced mystery. The protagonist, a eunuch, moves through many layers of society from the sultan and his mother through the European diplomatic corps to street vendors and entertainers. I found one section where the author, Jason Goodwin, puts in some experiences of historic characters (I suppose) that have nothing to do with the story somewhat jarring. This book has inspired me to do a little reading on this period of the Ottoman Empire to see what we know about what happened during this period.

Previous total: 165
Task plus review: +15
New total: 180

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Bleeding Hearts by Susan Wittig Albert
+10 pts - book
390 pts - Grand Total

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg

If Goodreads saw fit to give us half stars, this would be a solid 3.5, but as it is I couldn't quite give it a 4. I enjoyed the book and Smilla is an excellent character, but the last third of the book dragged for me. I got tired of the cryptic nature of everyone's actions and found myself waiting for the book to end. This did change in the last twenty or so pages and I found myself very intrigued with the ending. It made me think and suited the book far more than what I expected. Given my dislike of Borderliners, I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased.

+10 Task
+5 Review

Task Total: 15

Nineteen Seventy-Seven by David Peace

Bleak. Nineteen Seventy-Seven is extremely bleak, but it earns it. I am giving it three stars instead of four primarily on the basis of my enjoyment, rather than the quality. I feel I would have a hard time judging the latter. It is more thought provoking than Nineteen Seventy Four and I found it more easy to relate to the characters. The relevant word being more. It is definitely a better book than its predecessor, but that has more to do with writing than plot. One might say the same of the book as a whole. It is more a work of style than substance, but not in a way that detracts.

+10 Task
+5 Review

Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality by Christopher Ryan

Disclaimer: To echo a sentiment expressed by the authors towards the beginning of Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality, I am not interested in discussing the validity of evolution. If you contend it is not a valid scientific model, this is not a book for you.

Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality is an impressive, witty, and funny book that researches both the origins and inaccuracy of the prevalent views of human sexuality. It is well-researched and the authors base their conclusions on scientific data rather than merely psychological studies or the theories proposed in the past. They present the idea that our current societal focus on monogamy is, in fact, contrary to the way in which we have evolved biologically. They discuss the ways in which female sexuality has been distorted over centuries, including some of the horrific things that have been done in the name of suppressing something that is regularly presented as slight or aberrant. They discuss some of the potential future implications of these theories on the belief in the nuclear family as the "natural" model, despite pretty conclusive evidence.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in either the evolution of our species or today's sexual climate.

+10 Task
+5 Review

Post Total: 45

Grand Total: 760

message 293: by Erin (new)

Erin (eecamp) | 138 comments Fragile Beasts by Tawni O'Dell

+10 Task

Grand Total: 165

Kate S | 1620 comments We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
+10 Task

Bossypants by Tina Fey
+10 Task

Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie
+10 Task
+5 Oldies (1933)

Post Total: 35
Summer Total: 925

message 291: by Arow (new)

Arow | 228 comments The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I had no idea what to expect from ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ and I was more then pleasantly surprised. With each page I was drawn further into the web of information and detail that Stieg Larsson had put into his world. I was fascinated with the lives of each of his characters and the incredible depth that went into everyone’s background.

The life and voice that he was able to breathe into Lisbeth Salander was beyond what most male authors do for their female characters. I felt everything that she went through and felt emotional drained from the roller coaster that she went on through this story.

The Mikael Blomkvist character was beautifully written. The reader can associate with the betrayal that he lived through and the reader is able to understand why he would take certain risks with his career and his life to try and get back on track.

The size of the novel is a bit off putting for people who don’t normally go past the 350 page mark but I can assure you that it is a fast read that you won’t want to put down. I finished it within a week of starting it and I can not wait to read the other two installments.

Highly recommend this novel (and most likely series) to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.

+10 Task
+5 Review
+5 Jumbo (841)
Task Total = 20

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Wow, what can I say? The second installment of the Millennium series, ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’ did not let me down. I was not sure what direction the series was going to go in at the end of ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ but it surpassed my imagination.

Stieg Larsson has created one of the most in depth worlds that is not part of a fantasy series. I honestly believed at some points that I was reading a biography. He is able to write layer upon layer of background story. His web of government secrets, the sex trade, mental illness, computer hacking and sexual abuse is so detailed and honest that I believed everything that I was reading.

The main plot of the series is not revealed until the second novel, ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ is mainly a brief introduction to the main characters but the story line itself does not really carry through into ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’ which was confusing for me at first.

He takes the Lisbeth Salander into a world that I could not comprehend going into and the reader really doesn’t know ‘who’s done it’ until the author wants you to. At least I had no idea who did it.

I really can not wait to read the third and final installment. I highly recommend having the third on hand and read to start reading as soon as you have completed ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’.

+10 Task
+5 Review
+5 Jumbo (512)
Task Total = 20

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

‘The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest’ was an incredible final installment to the Millennium Series. Stieg Larsson was able (in my opinion) to tie up all the loose ends and was able to satisfy my curiosity to what would end up happening to Lisbeth Salander.

Stieg Larsson continued to expand on the amazing world that he created. The amount of background knowledge and details that were provided was outstanding. I really felt like I knew all the characters and that I was watching and feeling everything that happened to them in this world.

This is one of the first government secret agency books/series that I have read, and it has definitely opened my eyes to a new genre. I am not sure if other stories could live up to my expectations now but I would be willing to try a few.

I am sad that the series has ended. I was really addicted to the characters in the series. I am very happy that I decided to read it as it has been on my TBRS for ages and I just kept putting it off. Highly recommend this to everyone.

+10 Task
+5 Review
+5 Jumbo (576)
Task Total = 20

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I have looked forward to reading this story since it was released in 2010. The cover always intrigued me and I know you should not judge a book by its cover or decide to read a book due to its cover. But that is exactly what I did in this situation.

Having no idea what the novel was about I was a bit surprised when I came to chapter two and discovered that I was reading a teenaged girls version of Groundhog Day (the amazing Bill Murray movie for those who have not seen it). Thankfully by the third chapter Lauren Oliver made reference to the movie and there by letting me relax into the story and not think that she had completely ripped it off.

Once I got into the fourth chapter I really started to enjoy the storyline and appreciate what Lauren Oliver was trying to accomplish. I enjoyed the depth of the character that eventually came through and saw what type of role model Sam Kingston could be to young adults.

I would recommend this story to anyone in junior high or high school. I enjoyed how Lauren Oliver portrayed the different social groups in school and thought that she was able to shine a light on each one.

+10 Task
+5 Review
Task Total = 15

New Total = 255

message 290: by itpdx (last edited Aug 23, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

itpdx | 464 comments On the Road to Babadag: Travels in the Other Europe by Andrzej Stasiuk

This is a treasure--impressionistic, haunting journeys in the land between the Baltic, Adriatic and Black Seas-Slovakia, Moldavo, Romania, Slovenia, Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary--towns with names in three languages or more--mountains, plains and corn fields--pubs, border crossings, Gypsies, cemeteries, buses, trains and ferries. Stasiuk seeks the edges, the eternal of his Europe. This is not linear or chronological but follows the wandering mind of the author.
Beautiful! but read with the internet at hand for this westerner that grew up with this area behind the "iron curtain" and I am mostly ignorant of its geography, history and culture.

Previous total: 150
Task + review: 15
New total: 165

Tobey | 211 comments A Highlander's Destiny by Melissa Mayhue

I’m not sure what to say about this book. I’ve read the first few in this series and sometimes I’m not sure why I continue to keep them on my TBR. They are just okay, in my books!

I found this one to have taken place over such a short period of time that in all actuality, some of the plot is just not believable for me and I know that’s saying a lot. I didn’t feel there was enough time to get a real feel for the main characters to grow attached to them. What I do like about this series is the recurring characters but unfortunately we don’t see enough of them to grow to love them. Sort of how I feel about this book – I just didn’t grow to love it!

+10 Task
+5 Review

Task Total=15
Grand Total=265

message 287: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 22, 2011 08:57PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Sight Unseen by Mary Roberts Rinehart (pub 1914)
+10 - book
+5 - oldies

The Terror of Tellico Plains : The Memoirs of Ray H. Jenkins by Ray H. Jenkins
+10 - book

25 pts - this post
380 pts - grand total ( I think)

message 286: by Liz M (last edited Aug 22, 2011 08:03PM) (new)

Liz M | 2588 comments Les Liaisons Dangereuses
by Pierre A.F. Choderlos de Laclos

+10 task
+5 oldies (1782)

Grand Total: 300 points

message 285: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 22, 2011 08:52PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen
10 pts - Book
355 pts - Grand total

Ashlee (ashleeyaegergmailcom) | 8 comments The Help by Kathryn Stockett
10 task points
+5 jumbo

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
10 task points
=25

Summer Reading Total= 120

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 944 comments Three To Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich

Task: +10
Grand Total: 200

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3023 comments Every Last One by Anna Quindlen 4 stars

This is difficult to review without spoilers, but I'll try.

Anna Quindlen presents us with a somewhat typical 21st Century family: professional father, small-business mother, three teenagers who are good students but not without their problems. For the first 100 or so pages the family is so typical that, while there is not necessarily a sense of impending doom, I felt certain something dramatic would happen to alter the course. The dramatic event is not what I anticipated.

This is not an easy story to read. Although sad, I can truly say I've never found literature to be depressing, and this is no exception. This is a story of healing. It is a story of how our relationships - both with family and friends - give us needed strength in the most difficult of life's circumstances. If this was the author's purpose, it was accomplished.

My biggest quibble with this novel is that it is told in the first person present tense. The present tense helped it lose some of its power, and the first person meant a loss of perspective that an anonymous third person telling could have lent.

+10 Task
+ 5 Review

Grand Total = 215

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Deedee wrote: "After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
Entertaining, even for those who never read the Superhero comics.

+ 10 Task

Task Total: 10

Girl in Hyacinth Blue..."

I love your one word reviews!

message 280: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 19, 2011 06:43PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments The March by E.L. Doctorow
+10 pts Book
345 pts - Grand total

Kate S | 1620 comments Denae wrote: "Oh, I remember that being a great Christie."

It was definitely one of my faves!!

Shannon The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Task points = 10
Total points = 115

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Oh, I remember that being a great Christie.

Kate S | 1620 comments Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
+10 Task

Hard Times by Charles Dickens
+10 Task
+5 Oldies (1854)

Towards Zero by Agatha Christie
+10 Task
+5 Oldies (1944)

One Giant Leap: Neil Armstrong's Stellar American Journey by Leon Wagener
+10 Task

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
+10 Task
+5 Oldies

Post Total: 65
Summer Total: 890

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

It's taken me some thought after reading to decide how I wanted to rate this book, and I have finally settled on 3, largely because I loved the first part. I found the core concept fascinating and fresh and enjoyed the writing. Then it went downhill. The primary character underwent a change into a being called The Painted Man, but along the way makes decisions that make little to no sense. Another character, Leesha, also fails to develop as more than a cliche and vehicle for a rather fuzzy message on gender and sexual politics. The third main character, Rojer, never really develops at all. Overall, the book lacked focus. It was disappointing.

+10 Task
+5 Review

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

First of all, you have to ignore the awful cover. It's a much better book than it implies, I promise. It's a much better book than I expected, even with a solid set of recommendations behind it.

Hounded is the story of an ancient Druid who's hiding out in Arizona running a bookstore and selling teas to college students. Unfortunately, he doesn't think about the implications of an internet presence in the age of Google and is found by, among others, his greatest enemy. An excellent combination of the funny and the violent ensues. Trailed by Oberon, his Irish wolfhound sidekick, Atticus fights ancient beings and gods, cements a friendship with an old Irish woman who I seriously want to be like when I grow up, and various other spoilery hi jinks. Purely a fun read, not great character development, but some enjoyable snarky one-liners.

+10 Task
+5 Review

Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner

That this book is impressively boring is probably the most positive thing I have to say about it. I found it vapid and remarkably without point. It is the story of an uninteresting, probably intended to be considered tortured, young American poet who pretended his way into a fellowship in Spain by stating his intention to write a poem about a subject about which he knows nothing. He has no intention of writing said poem. That this is the character is not, of course, the true problem with the book. Those surface facts do not necessarily result in a bad book. Unfortunately, the author does nothing with them. The character has no depth, he mostly spends the book getting high and pretending to care about things, and there are several wandering discourses on writing and poetry which I imagine are intended to sound clever. The promise of the book having something, anything to do with the Madrid train bombings is unrealized and that event becomes merely a backdrop for more musing on the part of the character about his disconnectedness. Even that is implied to be affectation.

I know nothing about Ben Lerner or his poetry. It could be it is quite good. Regardless, he should have stuck to it rather than prose. One hopes he does a better job in his role as creative writing teacher than he does in that of author.

Disclaimer: I received an advance review copy of this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway program.

+10 Task
+5 Review

The Christ-Haunted Landscape: Faith and Doubt in Southern Fiction by Susan Ketchin

Flannery O'Connor said "I think it is safe to say that while the South is hardly Christ-centered, it is most certainly Christ-haunted." From these words, the title of The Christ-Haunted Landscape: Faith and Doubt in Southern Fiction was born. The book consists of twelve interviews Susan Ketchin conducted with Southern authors about the roles played by faith and doubt in their lives and their writing. Each interview was preceded by a brief biography and either a short story or an excerpt from a book by the writer.

This book came highly recommended by a friend with whom I have a shared Southern and religious background. It is not a subject about which I have thought often in such a direct manner, but it is one which struck a chord with me, and this was one of the finest works of non-fiction I have read. The role of these twin subjects in the life of the South is unmistakable to one who has lived there, and the way in which they must be wrestled by these writers rings true. If I have a complaint, it is that there was no representation of authors who are now atheistic.

+10 Task
+5 Review

Post Total: 60

Grand Total: 715

Tobey | 211 comments City of Night by Dean Koontz

Um, wow! I’m really glad I had the second installment in this series on hand so I could dive right into it and dive, I did. I was totally riveted in a creepy, yet fascinated way. Koontz really brings the reality of this story to life for me and let’s face it, if you can write about it, why can’t it be true? (Oh, lord let’s hope not in this case)

I love how our two protagonists still keep some levity in their lives while involved in this horrifying situation which may very well be apocalyptic as it is referred to in the story.

I loved it and want more which made choosing my next book so hard because I want more Frankenstein!

+10 Task
+5 Review

Task Total=15
Grand Total=250

message 273: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 06:05PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard (Another Pulitzer Winner for gen NF)
+10 pts Book

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz
+10 pts Book

Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley
+10 pts Book

My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru by Tim Guest
+10 pts Book

Far Appalachia: Following the New River North by Noah Adams
+10 pts Book

A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House
+10 pts Book

60 pts - Total this post
335 pts - Grand Total

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "These books have completed my goal of reading all the Pulitzer Prize Winners for Fiction, until next year's winner is announced anyway. I started this mission in 2006!"

Congratulat..."

Thanks, Elizabeth! Some were really hard to find as they are out of print now. Guard of Honor had reviewers say it was greater than Catch 22, but Catch 22 is easy to find and I had to haunt used book stores (real and on-line)for this and others. I'm thinking about finishing the ManBookers next. Thanks to last season's challenge, I got a few under my belt and the overall list is much shorter. (smile)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3023 comments Rebekah wrote: "These books have completed my goal of reading all the Pulitzer Prize Winners for Fiction, until next year's winner is announced anyway. I started this mission in 2006!"

Congratulations! I have far too many to go, but will make my way to as many as I can.

message 269: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 05:41PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1999 comments Guard of Honor by James Gould Cozzens (pub 1948, 613 pgs)
+10 Book
+5 Jumbo
+5 Oldies
20 pts - Total

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
+10 pts Book

30 pts - These Tasks
275 pts - Grand Total

These books have completed my goal of reading all the Pulitzer Prize Winners for Fiction, until next year's winner is announced anyway. I started this mission in 2006!

Kate S | 1620 comments Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide by Caroline Adams Miller
+10 Task

Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie
+10 Task

Contact by Carl Sagan
+10 Task

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
+10 Task
+5 Jumbo (1392p)
+5 Oldies (1869)

Post Total: 50
Summer Total: 825

Ashlee (ashleeyaegergmailcom) | 8 comments Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
Task: 10 points

Total Points: 95

itpdx | 464 comments The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Review: Several generations of historians search for Dracula or his grave. They search archives from Istanbul to Oxford with some aid from a mysterious group of Turks that were tasked with this quest about the time of Dracula's "death". Part of group of historians are descendants of Dracula himself. For me, the internal logic of the story did not hold up. For instance at one point in the story, Dracula goes out to feed every night and, yet, there doesn't seem to be any notice of unusual deaths among the locals. It seems that he follows some of the protagonists around and has enough "strength" to be out in daylight. Maybe I need to know more vampire lore to understand the logic.

Previous total: 130
Book + review + jumbo (909 pages) = 20
New total: 150

message 265: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Aug 16, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 944 comments "Amazon Ink" by Lori Devoti

+10
+5 Review

Amazon Ink (Amazon, #1)Amazon Ink by Lori Devoti

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked the concept of this book. I love Amazons and the idea of living in the modern word. I liked how tattoos were part of their culture and each animal stood for a specific trait or power. I feel it fell short because it could have gone into more detail on the teenage girls that were murdered. There was very little investigation into the murders either by the police or the main character. Plus the pacing was so slow. It was only just okay.

View all my reviews

Grand Total 190

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7