A Long Way Down A Long Way Down discussion

Hang me from a mast-never want to see this book again!

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I would rather watch the View

message 2: by Ali (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ali i am a HUGE hornby fan and was so excited to read this book, only to be completely disappointed by the story, the writing and the lack of clever humor that is so prevalent in his other books. i second your statement, i would rather watch the view.

Mike It's not his best, but it's a pretty good considering, the topic of suicide, and the wide range of characters. I felt it was a pretty authentic take on each of them. Still, I'm a big fan of Hornby...any word of what he's got coming out soon?

message 4: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin Usually I really enjoy Hornby's work, but this book is some of the worst rubbish I have ever slogged through. I beg these characters, "Please just jump and end this god-awful tripe!"

Lorraine Yeah, I was disappointed with this one too. I don't remember much of it, thankfully.

Venus The story was irritating. If you were actually suicidal and read it, I think you'd want to throw the book instead.

message 7: by Ken (last edited Nov 13, 2011 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Magee Agree with everyone - not his best work!! I need to read High Fidelity again to remind myself how good a writer Nick is.

Dierdra Byrd I actually really enjoyed this book. It was the first novel I have ever read of his and I plan to read more.

Mike Dierdra wrote: "I actually really enjoyed this book. It was the first novel I have ever read of his and I plan to read more."

Go for high fidelity, it's his best. Juliet Naked is up there on my list too.

message 10: by Pete (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pete Wyeth About A Boy is great too.

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Dierdra wrote: "I actually really enjoyed this book. It was the first novel I have ever read of his and I plan to read more."

Hornby is great! I wish he had something coming out soon. If you haven't read them yet go for High Fidelity, then Juliet Naked. You won't be let down.

Robert Hodgson I too had myself down as a Nick Hornby fan but having read A Long way Down and How to be Good I'm less certain. I think in common with many writers, Nick has written a truly great book (High Fidelity) but failed to come close to matching it with any of his others.
Nonetheless as an aspiring author I know it 'aint easy. Perhaps the book that comes closest is Chemistry by Robert Hodgson (me!). Well you decide!!

Naomi This was the first book of his I ever read, and I really, really loved it. I saw it an in airport in London while I was stranded. I didn't have any money, so I didn't buy it. I remembered it and bought it later though. I think I have almost all of his books now! This was about 7 years ago or so.

Michael I thought this was a very poorly written book. I was a fan of his other novels but this one fell flat.

Teresa Loved this one. The only Hornby I haven't liked is How To Be Good.

message 16: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Faletti A Long Way Down is my favorite Hornsby book... I love the dark humor.

Hamza Who like me, laugh a lot about Jess's thoughts ?

Teresa Hamza wrote: "Who like me, laugh a lot about Jess's thoughts ?"

Jess cracked me up!

Hamza She really made me laugh, but one could tell she was suffering in her life.

Jess cracked me up!"

Hamza wrote: "Who like me, laugh a lot about Jess's thoughts ?"

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Cherny Being hung from a mast would be difficult since the mast is vertical. Depending on the size and rigging on the ship you could be hung from a yardarm, boom or even the bowsprit although with the latter you would probably drown first.

Carol This is one of my favourite Nick Hornby books, along with Fever Pitch and High fidelity. The only one so far I haven't enjoyed was How to be Good.

message 22: by Teresa (last edited Nov 14, 2013 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teresa Carol wrote: "This is one of my favourite Nick Hornby books, along with Fever Pitch and High fidelity. The only one so far I haven't enjoyed was How to be Good."

Did you copy my reply!? : ) I so agree about How to Be Good. Not sure if it was the story or the fact that, as wonderful as Hornby is, he just can't write from a woman's point of view.

Holly Robert wrote: "Being hung from a mast would be difficult since the mast is vertical. Depending on the size and rigging on the ship you could be hung from a yardarm, boom or even the bowsprit although with the lat..."

Perfect reply. I wish we could "like" comments here.

Laetitia Julia, Naked was much worse... But that's just my opinion.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A Long Way Down (other topics)