Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > spooky cozy mysteries

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda (Amanda1) | 2 comments Hi,
I really love ghost stories but I like mysteries even more. Can anyone think of some good cozy mysteries that are spooky in part? I am thinking of When Last I Died by Gladys Mitchell. Of course the supernatural events are usually solvable. When Last I Died also had a pretty scary lunatic in it. Any suggestions?

Cindy (cmbohn) The Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton has a sort of spooky feel, the first one more noticeably than the others.

Christine (murdermostbritish) | 102 comments There's a Haunted Bookshop series by Alice Kimberly. I've never read any of them, i'm not into 'woo-woo' but I've heard of it. If you visit www.stopyourekillingme.com they have a Genre Index that a list of paranormal series. Good luck on your quest!

Becky (Mrs_Skeet) | 1 comments Have you tried Victoria Laurie's ghost hunter mysteries? She has two series that I really enjoy. The Abby Cooper Psychic eye series and the ghost hunter series. When I read the first one I thought they might be a little too "out there" for me but once got into it, I couldn't put it down and devoured the rest very quickly. She has a writing style that appeals to me.

Amanda (Amanda1) | 2 comments Thanks! I haven't got started on these yet but once I do I'll report back....

Nancy (NancyJCohen) | 46 comments Try DEAD ROOTS, my haunted hotel story. It's volume seven in my Bad Hair Day mystery series but you don't have to read them in order.

Betty (nightreader) | 141 comments Carolyn Haines writes a hilarious series of southern belle private investigator Sarah Booth Delaney in the Mississippi Delta. Sarah lives with the "bossy antebellum ghost", a former servant from decades earlier who also is determined to "save Sarah from Spinsterhood"!

Ann (Summergal) | 4 comments You might want to give the Madeline Alt books a try. I think there are four in the series currently. I mistakenly started with the second book A Charmed Death and have read the third Hex Marks the Spot. Pretty easy and enjoyable reads.

Elizabeth | 53 comments If you like a cozy mystery and ghost stories...then you will most likely love my newest series> It is a cozy paranormal mystery!

Lots more info:
www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

message 10: by Ms. J (last edited Jan 17, 2009 06:44PM) (new)

Ms. J Johnson | 2 comments I like Victoria Laurie's Psychic Eye series. Madeline Alt's books are good, too. Yasmine Galenorn wrote a series called Chintz 'n China. There are five books (I think) in that series. I enjoyed it. I love the Haunted Bookshop mysteries by Alice Kimberly, but they're really not "spooky".

I also have to mention the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. They may not be what would be considered "cozy", but I really love those...

Betty (nightreader) | 141 comments A great bunch of wonderful series has now been added to my wish list! Thanks to everyone who contributed. I love these!

Debbie (whalehugger) | 6 comments I'll have to check on this topic in the future. I'm currently reading the first of the Haunted Bookshop mysteries and want to read more of them.

Amy (Ldtchr) | 16 comments Betty wrote: "Carolyn Haines writes a hilarious series of southern belle private investigator Sarah Booth Delaney in the Mississippi Delta. Sarah lives with the "bossy antebellum ghost", a former servant from de..."

Those stories are a great cozy read!!! Hilarious!

Pamela | 38 comments I absolutely adore this series. Jitty is something else in those outfits and I like Carolyn's humor in the book and how she balances it with serious issues. Pamela

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 63 comments Jitty is hyseterical!

Betty wrote: "Carolyn Haines writes a hilarious series of southern belle private investigator Sarah Booth Delaney in the Mississippi Delta. Sarah lives with the "bossy antebellum ghost", a former servant from de..."

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 63 comments I am reading Wendy Robert's first Ghost Dusters mystery, Remains fo the Dead now and loving it

Shelly (shel_franz) Terri wrote: "I am reading Wendy Robert's first Ghost Dusters mystery, Remains fo the Dead now and loving it"

I just finished this - liked it too. I've been wanting to read the haunted bookstore books, as well.
I didn't see that anyone recommended Yasmine Galenorn's Emerald O'Brien series for spookiness - they aren't as well known as the Witchling series, but I think they're better, and they are what got me hooked on this niche.

Emilie Richards (EmilieRichards) And don't forget Casey Daniels's Pepper Martin mysteries. Pepper is a tour guide in a Cleveland cemetery and solves the murders of ghosts. She's a great "chick litty" character who is learning a lot about the world, despite her worst instincts. The covers are fantastic.

Laura | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "Hi,
I really love ghost stories but I like mysteries even more. Can anyone think of some good cozy mysteries that are spooky in part? I am thinking of When Last I Died by Gladys Mitchell. Of c..."

Casey Daniels has the Pepper Martin series - Pepper works at a cemetary, but due to a head injury, and can see dead people, who are looking for her help to solve their murders.

Jamie Nemeroff | 4 comments Shirley Damsgaards' Ophelia and Abby mysteries are great. The first one is Witch Way to Murder.

Kim (catmommie) these all sound good - I'll add them to to-read list...one day. LOL

Kim (catmommie) I found another one that was recommended Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris.

Shannon (sianin) Betty wrote: "Carolyn Haines writes a hilarious series of southern belle private investigator Sarah Booth Delaney in the Mississippi Delta. Sarah lives with the "bossy antebellum ghost", a former servant from de..."

I forgot about this series and although I don't usually go into ghost stories, I love Jitty. Thanks for the reminder.

Jamie Nemeroff | 4 comments Casey Daniels' books sound good. Also Carolyn Haines. My TBR list is too long, I will never get to all of these! I loved all three of the books in the Harper Connelly, series by Charlaine Harris, Grave sight, Grave Surprise and an An Ice Cold Grave. I highly recommend those three!

Betty (nightreader) | 141 comments Jamie wrote: "Shirley Damsgaards' Ophelia and Abby mysteries are great. The first one is Witch Way to Murder. "
I really enjoy Shirley Damsgaards' series, especially when Ophelia is such a reluctant witch and Abby (Ophelia's grandmother)tries so hard to get her to realize her potential. Typical familial frustration, but between witches, so much fun to read.

message 26: by Penelope (last edited Apr 28, 2009 01:29PM) (new)

Penelope | 3 comments I'm in the middle of reading Casting Spells and it's really good. It's a little bit spooky, a little bit paranormal, a little bit crafty and a little bit sexy, so something for everyone! I've also just picked up Defending Angels which looks interesting and maybe something to take a look at.

Betty (nightreader) | 141 comments This sounds good, I think I'll be looking for Casting Spells.

Penelope | 3 comments I've just finished Defending Angels and I loved it. It was well written, original and a joy to read, A definite recommends!

Shelly (shel_franz) Penelope, both of those sound good, I've got them on my wishlist at Books on Board. Thanks for the recommendation!

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5488 comments Becky wrote: "Have you tried Victoria Laurie's ghost hunter mysteries? She has two series that I really enjoy. The Abby Cooper Psychic eye series and the ghost hunter series. When I read the first one I thought ..."

I really like the Abby Cooper books, but am not as fond of the ghost hunter series. I liked the first book in the series, but thought the second one was a bust. I got the newest one from PBS, so if I don't like it I'm not really out anything.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5488 comments Ms. J wrote: "I like Victoria Laurie's Psychic Eye series. Madeline Alt's books are good, too. Yasmine Galenorn wrote a series called Chintz 'n China. There are five books (I think) in that series. I enjoyed..."

I don't like the Madeline Alt series. Her main character just seems too immature to me. Shirley Damsgaard's Abby & Ophelia series is somewhat better, but I'm still not sold on it. I read the Yasmine Galenorn books. Some good, some not so much. And I'm with you on Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. I LOVE the series, but I would never call it cozy.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5488 comments Terri wrote: "I am reading Wendy Robert's first Ghost Dusters mystery, Remains fo the Dead now and loving it"

This series is first rate. Both books in the series have been in my top reads for each year they were released. I put the next one on order at BAMM awhile back.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5488 comments Emilie wrote: "And don't forget Casey Daniels's Pepper Martin mysteries. Pepper is a tour guide in a Cleveland cemetery and solves the murders of ghosts. She's a great "chick litty" character who is learning a ..."

Another favorite series of mine, tho I didn't like the newest one as much as the others. Tombs of Endearment is my favorite in the series, so far.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5488 comments Kim wrote: "I found another one that was recommended Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris."

I read the first & third books in this series. Didn't like the first one and read the third because a friend passed it on to me. It was better than the first one. But they can't compare to Charlaine's Sookie Stackhouse books. I love the books and HBO's True Blood which is based on them.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5488 comments Penelope wrote: "I've just finished Defending Angels and I loved it. It was well written, original and a joy to read, A definite recommends!"

I had to have missed something in this book, because I REALLY didn't like it. Bree was just too clueless to what was up.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Casting Spells (other topics)
Defending Angels (other topics)
Tombs of Endearment (other topics)