The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.1 - Beware of Thorns

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dlmrose | 7287 comments Mod
15.1- Beware of Thorns- June is National Rose Month.
Read ONE book that fits TWO of these options:
A. has a rose(s) or rose petals on the cover Required: Please post a link to the cover (preferred) or the book.
B. has "Rose" in the title- possessives, plurals and compound words are okay ex. The Fire Rose, Rosebud: The Story of Orson Welles
C. has a main character/subject named Rose- first or last name, variations are okay- Rosa, Rosemary, etc. Required: Please identify the character/subject when you post
D. is written by an author named Rose; first or last name, variations are okay. ex. Rose Tremain, Rosemary Clement-Moore, M.J. Rose, Charley Rosen, Roslyn Hardy Holcomb, Rosamunde Pilcher

Ex. Roses by Leila Meacham, The Splendour Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore
OR
Read TWO books that fit any of the options above. For this task, you MAY use the same option twice.

Required: Please identify the option you used when you post.

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

placeholder

Isabell (Purzel) | 238 comments The list A Rose By Any Other Name might be helpful for this task.

Dee (austhokie) | 4432 comments wow, I actually find a book for option A - yay!!

Christina (AKA Babbling) (BabblingBookReviews) | 190 comments For those who enjoy historical romances, here's a shoo-in. ;-)
The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly & The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly are both good ones for this task.

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments so would you accept God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater? his name has "rose" in it, and it's in the title (part b) and he's the main character (part c). thanks for your help! :)

kiki wrote: "so would you accept God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater? his name has "rose" in it, and it's in the title (part b) and he's the main character (part c). thanks for your help! :)"

Yes. That works for B and C so it fits the ONE book

Patricia | 423 comments I think these are roses on the cover but just wanted to confirm please. Thanksl

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

Patricia wrote: "I think these are roses on the cover but just wanted to confirm please. Thanksl

Digging to America by Anne Tyler"

I took a look at the cover @ Amazon, I would say they are roses

Bea | 1529 comments I found one that fits A & B!

Once Upon A Rose

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 5550 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "I found one that fits A & B!

Once Upon A Rose"

That's the one I have down for this task, too ;o).

Fran | 702 comments One Pink Rose (Rose, #2) by Julie Garwood looks good for A- there are roses going up the side of the book.

Patricia | 423 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I think these are roses on the cover but just wanted to confirm please. Thanksl

Digging to America by Anne Tyler"

I took a look at the cover @ Amazon, I would say they are roses"

Thanks!

message 16: by Rosemary (last edited May 23, 2011 10:44PM) (new)

Rosemary | 536 comments I plan to read Lola Rose from my TBR shelf to fit B & C, but can I just check it's OK for C? The main character is originally named Jayni, but she and her brother and mother all have to change their names when they run away from the abusive dad. This happens early in the story. From then she is called Lola Rose.

Oops ... I just noticed it has a rose on the cover, so forget that question, it fits A & B anyway :-)
This is the cover that I have: Lola Rose

Katrina (katrinajt) | 428 comments Is God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater appropriate for option A? Rose in the title and Eliot Rosewater is the name of the main character.

Katrina wrote: "Is God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater appropriate for option A? Rose in the title and Eliot Rosewater is the name of the main character."

yes, approved in post 9

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 530 comments I found this in case someone is still looking:

The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne

Katrina (katrinajt) | 428 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Katrina wrote: "Is God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater appropriate for option A? Rose in the title and Eliot Rosewater is the name of the main character."

yes, approved in post 9"

Oh, so it was, I read all the posts and somehow that didn't click. Oops

Tami W | 188 comments Would Crimson Joy work? The police are tracking the Red Rose Killer....would you accept this for A and C?

Tami wrote: "Would Crimson Joy work? The police are tracking the Red Rose Killer....would you accept this for A and C?"

I'll take it

Tami W | 188 comments Yeah! I am trying to fit as many from this series as possible into my seasonal challenges.

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) I think I'm going to use The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride". It fits A, B and C! I enjoy fairy tale retelling so this should be fun :)

message 25: by Janice CA (last edited May 30, 2011 12:09AM) (new)

Janice CA | 400 comments I was wondering if you would accept Gypsy: A Memoir by Gypsy Rose Lee? I know the task says author's first or last name, but I thought I'd still ask.

Thanks.

message 26: by Dlmrose (last edited May 30, 2011 03:44AM) (new)

Janice CA wrote: "I was wondering if you would accept Gypsy: A Memoir by Gypsy Rose Lee? I know the task says author's first or last name, but I thought I'd still ask.

Thanks."

I'll take it- ONE book- fits C/D

chucklesthescot A few other ideas for people:

Roses are Red by James Patterson, Prom Nights from Hell by Meg Cabot, Meridian (Fenestra, #1) by Amber Kizer, Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire, Kiss of the Rose (The Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Kate Pearce, The King's Rose by Alisa M. Libby,

and the author Karen Rose of course...

Robert Wright (monkeytoe) | 15 comments Here is the one I am planning to read: The Seduction of the Crimson Rose (Pink Carnation, #4) by Lauren Willig

Stesse wrote: "How about: American Rose: A Nation Laid Bare: The Life and Times of Gypsy Rose Lee - for B & C?

Thanks!"

That works for B & C

Bea | 1529 comments Would you accept the flower on this book as a rose?
The Compass Rose by Ursula K. Le Guin

Bea wrote: "Would you accept the flower on this book as a rose?
The Compass Rose by Ursula K. Le Guin"

Thorns, hips- it looks very similar to a rose in my garden- I'll take it

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments For A & B: Whisper of Roses by Teresa Medeiros - that is a rose on the cover

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Here's one that also works for A & B:

Where Roses Grow Wild by Patricia Cabot

Gayla wrote: "Can I use Mr. Rosenblum's List: Or Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman?"

That works for ONE- title and character, the US title Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English: A Novel works as well

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments I think The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly might also work for A and B!

Melanie wrote: "I think The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly might also work for A and B!"

It does

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Didn't think of this earlier but if you like Nora Roberts... Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts

Bea | 1529 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Didn't think of this earlier but if you like Nora Roberts...Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts"

She also wrote Black Rose.

message 41: by Deedee (last edited Jun 09, 2011 04:56PM) (new)

Deedee | 1121 comments Found a site with a list of novels with a character named Rose:

http://www.shelfari.com/characters/Rose

be careful with the list, some of the characters named Rose are minor characters, which wouldn't fit the task

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "The Delilah Complex & The Halo Effect - M.J. Rose?"

that works

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments Ann Patchett's book The Patron Saint of Liars would work for part C, if anyone is still looking for a book for this task. The main character is named Rose. :)

Jennifer W | 358 comments Would Daughters of Memory  A Novel by Janis Arnold work for A and C? There are flowers (roses?) on the wall paper and one of the main characters is named Macy Rose. If not, I've got another option, but would have to read two books.

Jennifer W wrote: "Would Daughters of Memory  A Novel by Janis Arnold work for A and C? There are flowers (roses?) on the wall paper and one of the main characters is named Macy Rose. If not, I've got another opt..."

I'm having a hard time getting a good image of the cover. The flowers seem quite stylized. Since you have a copy of the cover, if they appear to be roses to you, please state that when you post.

message 47: by Kim (last edited Jun 24, 2011 07:39PM) (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 583 comments Would Juliet work as a ONE BOOK title - a)rose on cover and c)character named Rose.

I haven't read this book yet and am not sure how much of a role Aunt Rose plays in the book. Aunt Rose raises her neices and leaves one with a property in Italy when she passes. This is all I know. Is her presences in the book significant enough to use it for opt C?

Kim wrote: "Would Juliet work as a ONE BOOK title - a)rose on cover and c)character named Rose.

I haven't read this book yet and am not sure how much of a role Aunt Rose plays in the book. ..."

Hard to tell... she is mentioned by name in the description. I'll say yes since it does seem that Rose puts the story in motion.

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 583 comments YEA! Thanks!

Actually, I read this thread before posting & found a ton of really good choices I wouldn't have thought of.

Great task! I didn't think I'd find anything to fit in but it's actually pretty easy to do!