The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.1 - Cheryl TX's task: Best Friends and Lovers

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited May 23, 2011 08:21PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6831 comments Mod
30.1 -- Cheryl TX's task: Best Friends and Lovers
June 8th is my birthday and June is Best Friends Month. So, for
Part A of this task, read a book by an author who shares a name with your current or past best friend. For example, one of my best friends in high school was named Cathy Clark, so I could read a book written by someone named Cathy (Catherine, Katherine, or Kathy will work, too) or I could read a book written by someone named Clark.

Required: State the name (first or last) that matches your friend's name.
Optional: Could you see your friend liking this author?

My son's birthday is in August. Chinese Valentine's Day is also in August. Let's celebrate love...Chinese style. Chinese Valentine's Day falls on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month which will be August 6, 2011. Other names for this holiday include The Festival of Seven Daughters, the Seventh Sister's Birthday, the Festival of Double Sevens, and the Night of Sevens. There's lots more information about this holiday at this website: www.holidayinsights.com . So, for

Part B, choose one of the following options:
1) Read a book with the number 7 in the title in any form (7, 17, 70) including series names and subtitles
OR
2) Read a book with exactly seven words in the title. Subtitles can be used if necessary. ALL words count (a, an, the, but, or, etc.)
OR
3) Read a book with one of the following words in the title. The word must be exactly as printed here:
Festival, Double, Night, Birthday, Valentine, Chinese, Lunar, Goddess, Queen, Jade, Emperor, Heaven.

Required: Post which option you chose.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited May 27, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Approved:
Part A: Variations in name spelling -- i.e., Kristy/Christie, Sharon/Sharyn

Part B:
7, 17, 70 written out as "seven," "seventeen," "seventy," etc....
7th/"seventh" in the title/subtitle/series name

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited May 25, 2011 09:29PM) (new)

These won't work:
The 7th book in a series

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open for questions.

message 5: by Rosemary (last edited May 23, 2011 09:05PM) (new)

Rosemary | 553 comments For option B,1, will 'seven' written as a word be OK? e.g. Nineteen Seventy Seven

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Rosemary wrote: "For option B,1, will 'seven' written as a word be OK? e.g. Nineteen Seventy Seven"

Are you trying to fit the 1001 BtRBYD group reads in too? :oD

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) I see from your example that spelling variations seem to be ok (for part A). My best friend's name is Kristy, so could I read a book by Agatha Christie? Thanks!

message 8: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 553 comments Are you trying to fit the 1001 BtRBYD group reads in too? :oD"

Yes! :-)
... but not The Trial, I've read that before and didn't like it. I'll probably put the Muriel Spark in 10.10 since I've read others of hers but not that one.

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Rosemary wrote: "Are you trying to fit the 1001 BtRBYD group reads in too? :oD"

Yes! :-)
... but not The Trial, I've read that before and didn't like it. I'll probably put the Muriel Spark in 10.10 since I've read..."

Aw man, I'm reading The Trial for one of the 30 point tasks (it's on the Darkest Books of All Time list). I hope I don't hate it. I'm using The Driver's Seat for 5.8 (free book) and was going to do Nineteen Seventy Seven for the series task. If it works here, I'll switch it and read The Nine Tailors for the series task instead. :o)

message 10: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1717 comments Can the word "seventh" work for Part B- Option 1-
The Legend of the Seventh Virgin by Victoria Holt

Thanks-

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5066 comments ok, so if I got this right - my best friend growing up was Anita, so I could read anything by Anita Shreve and then for part B Goddess of Light (or similar)

message 12: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 531 comments For B, could it be book #7 in the series?
like (Eve Dallas, Book seven)

message 13: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 497 comments For the 7 words option, is it ok if i word is a "don't"? As in Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover as a 7-word title?

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

I'm not sure where Cheryl has disappeared to, but I'll go through and approve/disapprove books shortly so people can make their reading lists/plans.

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Rosemary wrote: "For option B,1, will 'seven' written as a word be OK? e.g. Nineteen Seventy Seven"

Yes, written out will work.

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cait wrote: "I see from your example that spelling variations seem to be ok (for part A). My best friend's name is Kristy, so could I read a book by Agatha Christie? Thanks!"

That will work.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Can the word "seventh" work for Part B- Option 1-
The Legend of the Seventh Virgin by Victoria Holt

Thanks-"

Yes, "seventh" in the title/subtitle/series title works.

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Dee wrote: "ok, so if I got this right - my best friend growing up was Anita, so I could read anything by Anita Shreve and then for part B Goddess of Light (or similar)"

You got it!

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Christine US wrote: "For B, could it be book #7 in the series?
like (Eve Dallas, Book seven)"

No, sorry, Christine. The number 7 (or "seven" spelled out) has to be in the title/subtitle/series name. Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven #1) by Nora Roberts would work, for example (because "seven" is in the series name). But not the 7th book in any series.

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "For the 7 words option, is it ok if i word is a "don't"? As in Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover as a 7-word title?"

Every word in a title counts (no matter what the word is). So Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover has 7 words and works for option B.2.

message 21: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 401 comments One of my best friends was named Sharon...would you accept Sharyn McCrumb?

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

KSMary wrote: "One of my best friends was named Sharon...would you accept Sharyn McCrumb?"

Yes. Sharon/Sharyn would work.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Sorry I have been lacking on my job here. I will try to check every day for a couple of weeks. Thanks Kristi for taking up my slack!

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Sorry I have been lacking on my job here. I will try to check every day for a couple of weeks. Thanks Kristi for taking up my slack!"

No problem, Cheryl. Glad you're back.

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments I love the title of my task!!!!

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Kristi:

I feel like the red-headed step-child here. No one is asking me anything. Is that a good thing?

message 27: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2864 comments Cheryl wrote: "Kristi:

I feel like the red-headed step-child here. No one is asking me anything. Is that a good thing?"

It must be a good thing--you explained your task well--and now you have more time to read your own books.

message 28: by Deedee (last edited Jun 07, 2011 03:35PM) (new)

Deedee | 1257 comments Cheryl wrote: "Kristi:

I feel like the red-headed step-child here. No one is asking me anything. Is that a good thing?"

LOL, yes it's a good thing. I'll ask you something, though, about friend's names variations:

Anna/Anne? Diana/Deanna/Diane/Dianne? Christine/Kristine/Krystine/Christina/Kristina? Especially since they went by "Annie" "Dee" and "Christy"? (and, since that was my high school crowd, whom I've lost track of, those three plus Susan (who was also my college roommate), I don't remember if Annie was Anne or Anna, etc.)

My close friends when I got older had more unusual names (Elwyn, yes that's a girl, Rhonda, would Ronda be OK?, she was actually named after the '60s song and she HATED that song but liked her name, and Sharon, well, that's not unusual but she went by Sharon, no nicknames allowed)

message 29: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1059 comments I haven't had any really close friends since high school. My best friends there were Siobhan and Delwyn. Not much choice there.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5066 comments i'm a deanna and I hate being called Diana/Diane...but I get it all the time ;)

message 31: by Kristina Simon (new)

Careful what you ask for, Cheryl ;o).... LOL....

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Deedee wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Kristi:

LOL, yes it's a good thing. I'll ask you something, though, about fri..."

All of those are acceptable

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Careful what you ask for, Cheryl ;o).... LOL...."

Definitely LOL

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Coralie wrote: "I haven't had any really close friends since high school. My best friends there were Siobhan and Delwyn. Not much choice there."

Sorry Coralie but maybe you could use their last name?

message 35: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 553 comments "Coralie wrote: "I haven't had any really close friends since high school. My best friends there were Siobhan and Delwyn. Not much choice there."

Siobhan Dowd is a good YA author.

message 36: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1059 comments I am thinking of either Siobhan Dowd or going back a few more years to my best friend in grade 6 whose name was Annie. I assume I could use Ann or Anne for Annie also which gives me lots of choice.

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Rosemary wrote: ""Coralie wrote: "I haven't had any really close friends since high school. My best friends there were Siobhan and Delwyn. Not much choice there."

Siobhan Dowd is a good YA author."

Thanks Rosemary I am going to look her up

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Coralie wrote: "I am thinking of either Siobhan Dowd or going back a few more years to my best friend in grade 6 whose name was Annie. I assume I could use Ann or Anne for Annie also which gives me lots of choice."

Yes Coralie, on the first name variations are definiely acceptable

message 39: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 728 comments one of my best friends name was Beata, would Betty will be ok for it?

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Aleksandra wrote: "one of my best friends name was Beata, would Betty will be ok for it?"

I am not sure if Beata would translate to Betty in the U.S., but I will allow this name tweak.

message 41: by Aleksandra (last edited Jun 19, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 728 comments Cheryl wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "one of my best friends name was Beata, would Betty will be ok for it?"
I am not sure if Beata would translate to Betty in the U.S., but I will allow this name tweak."

Thanks for answer :)Ive tried to find this name in american language but too hard. I could try anotehr name Malgorzata (another polish one) and go with Margaret Atwood?

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "one of my best friends name was Beata, would Betty will be ok for it?"
I am not sure if Beata would translate to Betty in the U.S., but I will allow this name twe..."

Both of those will also work Aleksandra

message 43: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 728 comments Cheryl wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "one of my best friends name was Beata, would Betty will be ok for it?"
I am not sure if Beata would translate to Betty in the U.S., but I will..."

Thank you. Will go with Margaret :)

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "one of my best friends name was Beata, would Betty will be ok for it?"
I am not sure if Beata would translate to Betty in the U...."

Glad you could find something to fit in here!

message 45: by Nonodisco (new)

Nonodisco | 179 comments Would F. Scott Fitzgerald work for a friend named Scott?

message 46: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 644 comments Dead Beat by Jim Butcher work since it says #7 in the Goodreads subtitle?? I'm not sure my copy has #7 in the subtitle.

message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Dead Beat by Jim Butcher work since it says #7 in the Goodreads subtitle?? I'm not sure my copy has #7 in the subtitle."

Sorry, that won't work. On Goodreads, the indication written like this: (The Dresden Files #7) -- means the series title is "The Dresden Files." It's not a subtitle, it's a series title. The book Dead Beat is book number 7 in the series. Message #2 above states that the 7th book in the series does not count. The word (or number) "Seven" must appear in the series title for it to count. Sorry about that!

message 48: by Kristina Simon (new)

Nonodisco wrote: "Would F. Scott Fitzgerald work for a friend named Scott?"

That will work, Nonodisco.

message 49: by Nonodisco (new)

Nonodisco | 179 comments Great. Thanks!

message 50: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 508 comments My best friend's name is Lilly, so could I read something by Lilith Saintcrow?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nineteen Seventy Seven (other topics)
The Nine Tailors (other topics)
The Legend of the Seventh Virgin (other topics)
Goddess of Light (other topics)
Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anita Shreve (other topics)
Siobhan Dowd (other topics)
F. Scott Fitzgerald (other topics)
Lilith Saintcrow (other topics)
More...