The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.9 - Around the Campfire

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited May 22, 2011 08:38AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6124 comments Mod
10.9 -- Around the Campfire Summer is the time for camping. Camping and ghost stories go hand in hand. Read a scary book, a collection of spooky stories, or a book with a ghost or a haunted house in it. Ex: The Haunting of Hill House, The Amityville Horror, Northern Haunts

placeholder

mstan | 783 comments Would The Graveyard Book be OK for this challenge?

mstan wrote: "Would The Graveyard Book be OK for this challenge?"

It will. Lots of ghosts in that one ;o).

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments would you accept Wuthering Heights. while it's not specifically about a ghost, ghosts do "appear" in the story. thanks for your help! :)

Lahni | 314 comments Would Full Dark, No Stars count as a book of ghost stories? Theirs thrillers but maybe not actual ghosts.

Judy | 300 comments Are "friendly" ghosts Ok? Like Stardust of Yesterday or Much Ado In the Moonlight?

kiki wrote: "would you accept Wuthering Heights. while it's not specifically about a ghost, ghosts do "appear" in the story. thanks for your help! :)"

That will work. I didn't actually mean for the book to be specifically about a ghost, just with ghosts or a haunted house in it. I've reworded the task to reflect that. Thanks for bringing it up ;o)!

Lahni wrote: "Would Full Dark, No Stars count as a book of ghost stories? Theirs thrillers but maybe not actual ghosts."

I'd consider those spooky stories and perfect for around the campfire ;o). I've changed "read a book of "ghost" stories" to "read a book of "spooky" stories to reflect that. Enjoy!

Judy wrote: "Are "friendly" ghosts Ok? Like Stardust of Yesterday or Much Ado In the Moonlight?"

Friendly ghosts are just fine ;o).

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments I just finished reading Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie, which features a haunted house and a contemporary love story. It also has a bright red cover for task 10.8.
(I know, I'll have to find a different book to read, but just thought someone might enjoy this one.)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments great, thanks! :)

Riona (rionafaith) Does House of Leaves work? I haven't read it and don't think the house is actually haunted per se (though someone who's read it, feel free to jump in), but I know it's widely considered to be very spooky. If not, I will find something else.

Cait (caitertot) Riona wrote: "Does House of Leaves work? I haven't read it and don't think the house is actually haunted per se (though someone who's read it, feel free to jump in), but I know it's widely considere..."

It would definitely work.

Riona (rionafaith) Cait wrote: "Riona wrote: "Does House of Leaves work? I haven't read it and don't think the house is actually haunted per se (though someone who's read it, feel free to jump in), but I know it's wi..."

Yay! Thanks for the prompt response.

Riona wrote: "Does House of Leaves work? I haven't read it and don't think the house is actually haunted per se (though someone who's read it, feel free to jump in), but I know it's widely considere..."

I haven't read it, but the GRs description sounds pretty spooky to me. Looks like Cait agrees. So, yes, it would work.

Tammy wrote: "Rebecca??"

Yes, Rebecca would work.

Felina | 346 comments Does The Ruins fit this task?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1919 comments Beloved would work too.

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) | 659 comments Angelica: A Novel would work, right? And probably also The Little Stranger.

Felina wrote: "Does The Ruins fit this task?"

It does.

Gayla wrote: "Angelica: A Novel would work, right? And probably also The Little Stranger."

Yep, either one would work.

Lahni wrote: "The Tale of Halcyon Crane has ghosts."

Ooh, that one sounds good ;o).

Lahni | 314 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Lahni wrote: "The Tale of Halcyon Crane has ghosts."

Ooh, that one sounds good ;o)."

I read it last summer and really liked it. I don't think its well known.

Fran | 705 comments Would Gone work? She goes into peoples' dreams and does see ghosts there sometimes. I think the whole series is pretty spooky and sad, she experiences the nightmares along with the person having it.

Fran wrote: "Would Gone work? She goes into peoples' dreams and does see ghosts there sometimes. I think the whole series is pretty spooky and sad, she experiences the nightmares along with the p..."

If she sees ghosts in the people's dreams, that works.

message 30: by Jennifer (last edited May 23, 2011 07:27PM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Since the task wording has changed, Dracula: The Undead works?

Thanks

Jennifer L. wrote: "Since the task wording has changed, Dracula: The Undead works?"

That works.

Emma | 50 comments Would Northanger Abbey work? I know it's a parody of the gothic genre so...

Emma wrote: "Would Northanger Abbey work? I know it's a parody of the gothic genre so..."

It still has that spooky air. I'll take it.

Kate wrote: "Would Her Fearful Symmetry work?"

Yes, that will work.

message 36: by Felina (last edited May 27, 2011 11:38PM) (new)

Felina | 346 comments I'd like to read Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King.

(view spoiler)

In all actuality the blurb for this one actually sounds scary so I guess I don't really have to defend it.

Will this one work for this task?

Felina wrote: "I'd like to read Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. In all actuality the blurb for this one actually sounds scary so I guess I don't really have to ..."

Yes, that would work. I would imagine most of Stephen King's stuff would (at least I can't think of any that wouldn't scare the pants off me ;o)).

Felina | 346 comments Thanks Krisit!

Actually he has quite a few books that aren't scary like The Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis and Shawshank Redemption. I didn't read King for a long time cause I didn't think I would like horror books. Now he's probably one of my favorite authors. Its so nice to find an author you love who has a million books out. :)

Felina wrote: "Actually he has quite a few books that aren't scary like The Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis and Shawshank Redemption. I didn't read King for a long time cause I didn't think I woul..."

Good to know. The only novel of his I've read is From a Buick 8. I'm not usually squeamish, but man that book freaked me out! I did love the writing, though, and his On Writing is one of my favorite books of all time. I'll have to check out some of his less scary fare one day ;o). Thanks!

Felina | 346 comments I haven't read either of those. :) My favorite by him so far is definitely Duma Key (which is REALLY scary so if anybody is looking for a book for this category). I've read most of his classics. Am planning on doing The Stand in this challenge and finishing up The Dark Tower books. Love it!

Cindy | 421 comments Just wondering if Taltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3) by Anne Ricewould fit this challenge

Cindy wrote: "Just wondering ifTaltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3) by Anne Ricewould fit this challenge"

It would.

chucklesthescot I think I'll be reading Off Season by Jack Ketchum. It is meant to be gory, scary and disturbing...just my kind of book!

chucklesthescot wrote: "I think I'll be reading Off Season by Jack Ketchum. It is meant to be gory, scary and disturbing...just my kind of book!"

Eek. Looks perfect..... ;o)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 993 comments Homecoming Will this one work?

chucklesthescot Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I think I'll be reading Off Season by Jack Ketchum. It is meant to be gory, scary and disturbing...just my kind of book!"

Eek. Looks perfect..... ;o)"

*does evil laugh*!!!

Jenn Renee wrote: "Homecoming Will this one work?"

Yes, that works.

Coralie | 950 comments I would like to read either The Falling Woman or The Water Devil. Would either of them work?

Dlmrose | 7735 comments Mod
Has anyone read 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill? It was on display at the library and I picked it up anticipating this task, but I have to admit I'm a bit of a wimp about "bump in the night". I was the kid in the tent that was awake all night after the ghost stories. I'm looking for a scary book that's not too intense.

Joanna (Walker) | 248 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Has anyone read 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill? It was on display at the library and I picked it up anticipating this task, but I have to admit I'm a bit of a wimp abo..."

I read that one (well, technically, listened to the audio version) for the Spring Challenge. I really enjoyed it -- most of the stories are creepy, but I wouldn't say they're mostly really intense. And some are more clever or interesting than really scary.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Northern Haunts (other topics)
The Amityville Horror (other topics)
The Haunting of Hill House (other topics)
The Graveyard Book (other topics)
Wuthering Heights (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)
Joe Hill (other topics)
Sophie Kinsella (other topics)
More...