Q&A with Glenda Burgess discussion

Family and memoir

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Glenda (last edited Sep 05, 2008 11:36PM) (new)

Glenda (glendaburgess) | 24 comments Mod
How many out there in Goodreads have thought about writing a family memoir? And will you laugh, or cry as you write it?

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia | 1 comments Around the dinner table, my grandparents often tell incredibly fascinating stories of their youth, of their experiences during the Depression and World War II, and of what their children and grandchildren were like growing up. I find myself wondering if these memories will be lost altogether when they are no longer around to relate them.

Presently, I'm working with a local writing group to publish short memoirs written by seniors from various Boston neighborhoods. Reading their stories and hearing the community's reactions to the project as a whole makes me realize that so much has changed in recent generations—and that my parents and grandparents have first-hand experience with these changes.

Though I don't necessarily aspire to write my own family's memoir, I hope that this type of project will help convince my grandparents to jot down some of their own memories so the rest of the family will always have a piece of their stories to share with future generations.

http://www.grubstreet.org/index.php?i...

message 3: by Glenda (new)

Glenda (glendaburgess) | 24 comments Mod
Julia- this is fantastic! What a gift to future generations and to all of us who love the personal face of history - those stories and memories that only one generation can share with another. I think the world has changed so much, and is now evolving so quickly into a new frontier in technology and how we communicate, that stories, our oral history, is our great and last cultural treasure. I am rooting for your project with your community seniors. My husband's grandparents were interviewed by college sociology/anthropology students on their history as Russian and Hungarian Jewish immigrants from Europe ( to America through Canada and NYC). This "report of their experiences" was a treasure, as well as eye-opening history on the state of the world at that time (late 1920s to early 1930s), and the risks people took reinventing themselves by changing cultures, countries and languages. It's truly valuable history - personally, and to all of us following in the shadow of this evolving future. Thanks for sharing the news of your project here!

unread topics | mark unread