Basically Books! discussion

Off Topic > Rants

Comments (showing 51-100 of 179) (179 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
We are! I would support such a course. It's been two years now and mine keeps fixing one bad habit but then starting up with another one to replace it. Le sigh.

Emma (EmSJ) | 388 comments I guess that's just the price of cohabiting. In the interest of not sounding too sexist, I know it bugs the hell out of my boyfriend when I don't squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom and when my long hair clogs up the drain (although I am the one who clears it out).

message 53: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Yeah, I know I do things too. I leave the ironing in a pile for a few hours instead of putting it in his cupboard immediately (mind, he does expect ME to put HIS ironing in HIS cupboard) so the folds from where I've laid the shirts are visible. I also have the hair in the drain thing (and I'm also the one that has to clean it out) and I leave my make up on the counter instead of putting it back in the basket.

Char (CharmaineElaine) I just heard a bit of Charlie Simpson's new song. I'm not being funny but he split up Busted to be a rockstar! That song was many things rock isn't one of them! WTF happened to Fightstar???? Jeesh! Does he know how I felt when Busted split up, I was devastated... it was 3 days AFTER my birthday. My heart was broken I thought I'd never love another band like that EVER again. (I did, but that's not the point.)

message 55: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1626 comments Mod
So i say,do,think the wrong thing all the time, im losing friends, and i think its ALL my fault now,so i might aswell crawl in a hole and stay there..:(

message 56: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
(I don't think it's something to get too worried about Tara, we all do it at times. Just remember that people can't hear your tone of voice over the internet so if you capitalise certain words, or write something very bluntly then it can come across in a way you never intended.)

message 57: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

I know , but the caps, was an accident, coz my laptop is buggard, not my fault, my laptop is old and breaking

message 58: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
In that case I recommend going to lengths to proof read all your comments before you post them, just to make sure they look and sound as you wanted them to. :)

message 59: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Rea wrote: "In that case I recommend going to lengths to proof read all your comments before you post them, just to make sure they look and sound as you wanted them to. :)"

Well, its to late now :( but i will in the future

message 60: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I just dropped the toothbrush in the sink while in the middle of brushing my teeth (momentary brain lapse) and now my clean shirt is spattered with those white toothpaste marks that are impossible to get out unless you wash the item of clothing! Grr!

Adva (AdvaK) | 9 comments Sort of book related:
I hate when I go to the cashier in a bookshop, she looks at the books I'm purchasing and then gestures to one of them with a shake of her head, asking, "why this one?" Or in other words "it sucks!".
Mind your own business! If I ask for your opinion, please give it, but if I don't - please keep it to yourself. You have no idea why I buy this book, and it's not your business anyway (yeah, I know, I said it already).

I'm annoyed!

That's it. I'm done :)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Why have Nintendo reduced the price of the 3DS? The fact is, your most loyal customers will have PRE ordered and what thanks do we get... none. Nintendo however get an extra £50!!!!!! I'm not happy. I'll be buying all my games cut price to make up for the money lost. Take that fools!!!

Char (CharmaineElaine) Just so you know, you're not funny. What you said really upset me. The person you insulted as "a joke" is someone I admire... A LOT. I've been a fan of them for years and you think it's okay to just come along and call them stupid, ugly, minging and horribe. Well it isn't. You need to learn some respect. As someone who was bullied I think your behaviour was disgusting. I think you should grow up essentially.

message 64: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Char wrote: "Just so you know, you're not funny. What you said really upset me. The person you insulted as "a joke" is someone I admire... A LOT. I've been a fan of them for years and you think it's okay to ju..."

I aint even gonna deny that this is FOR ME, and you know what, yes it was harsh, and yes it was a bit stupid, but i said it, coz i wanted you not to show that pic, right, and it was meant to be a joke, and sometimes i feel your rude, somtimes, btu you know what i dnt point it out, and i am this close to leaving the freaking group, coz you may be older but sometimes you upset me, and yes i did get bullied, and i hated it, so you knwo what, maybe i like to get some paybak, and im currently not in the right state, so if this means we cnt be friends just let me know

message 65: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
When I say no, I mean no. I am not secretly saying yes in some kind of code language. When you offer me your help and I say no this is because I do not want you influencing my decisions and not because I secretly want you to come over and the crack of 9am on a weekend "sleep in" day and make all of those decisions for me. Please respect my wishes in these matters rather than taking everything into your own hands.

message 66: by Jeshu, part-time phantom (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) | 768 comments Mod
I've been ill over a week :(

message 67: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Jeshu wrote: "I've been ill over a week :("

Oh, get well :D

message 68: by Jeshu, part-time phantom (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) | 768 comments Mod
thank you tara <3

Adva (AdvaK) | 9 comments Jeshu wrote: "I've been ill over a week :("

oh, hope it's nothing serious. Get well soon!

Char (CharmaineElaine) (I use this topic A LOT lol)

I wish my brother would stop watching rubbish on youtube. I know that sounds mean but he does it on MY account! Get your own! I'm sick of going on and being given recommendations about Power Rangers!!!! I don't care!!!

Also the cat keeps playing with my wool! This makes crocheting extremely difficult as every time the wool moves he pounces on it and not just on the wool, but all over my bed! He nearly ate my foot earlier!!!!

Adva (AdvaK) | 9 comments Char wrote: "...Also the cat keeps playing with my wool! This makes crocheting extremely difficult as every time the wool moves he pounces on it and not just on the wool, but all over my bed! He nearly ate my foot earlier!!!!"

I so know what you're talking about - wool and cats is a deadly combination! My legs end up perforated...

Adva (AdvaK) | 9 comments As long as I'm here: Don't gloat when someone is being corrected, even if you think they're a know-it-all and they deserve it. Especially not in the ears of said person's friend. It makes you about this big (and this, is about the size of an ant).
And no, it doesn't make it better when you precede said gloating with "I know it makes me an awful person". And yes, it does make you awful!

message 73: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Ok this is not so much a rant as I'm actually really upset about it, but it belongs here and I need to get it off my chest.

You know that money in my side cupboard, Arie? Yes, the 850€ that you didn't even know existed until I gave you 100€ of it to buy my sunglasses while I was in France. Why did I open the cupboard this morning and find only 150€ in there? I used 100 on my glasses, 100 when my bankcard stopped working for a week, you took 50 last night, without asking me, to give as a wedding gift. That's 400. That means you've taken another 450€ from me. Do you plan on giving it back? Am I going to have to put it in the bank just to keep you from dipping your sticky fingers in it now that you know it's there?

Do you know what that money is, Arie? It's my 18th birthday present. Yes, I'm 23 and I still have my 18th birthday present. I'm supposed to buy a really nice ring or necklace with it, something that I'll keep for life. And I still intend to do so one day. It really hurts me that you've completely depleted my money in the two months since you learnt of its existance, just used it as a stash and not treated it, or me, with any respect. If it's there, obviously it's there for a reason and that reason is not for you to help yourself to it. I want my money back.

Susan So sorry Rea... it's not even about the money at times. it's about trust and lying to you. I hope it all works out.

message 75: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
He gave it back when I asked. But as you say, it's more that he's helped himself to my money without even asking. Big blow to trust, there. He knows he's not allowed to touch it again.

Char (CharmaineElaine) Quick rant: If you have a book blog and you're going to post spoilers. It's good etiquette to post a spoiler alert! I don't want to read spoilers. Don't tell me you can't write a review without spoilers! I do it every time!

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) | 302 comments Char wrote: "Quick rant: If you have a book blog and you're going to post spoilers. It's good etiquette to post a spoiler alert! I don't want to read spoilers. Don't tell me you can't write a review without spo..."

Ugh, I hate that - even if my reviews end up not containing spoilers I will still always put a warning on the title, just to be sure no one gets miffed! It's just rude otherwise, like people telling me the end of/twist in a movie when I've told them that I wantt to go see it, they're lucky if they get away unscathed (by my tongue lashing of course!)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Hayley wrote: "Char wrote: "Quick rant: If you have a book blog and you're going to post spoilers. It's good etiquette to post a spoiler alert! I don't want to read spoilers. Don't tell me you can't write a revie..."

I try to avoid the plot... the only thing about the plot that I tend to put is the synopsis and anything I feel is imporatant to mention but I never give away events. I know! I hate that. I get all ranty and they can't shut me up for ages.

message 79: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I find that it's very hard with a series not to give away details of the previous books - as that's what led up to the events in this book! - but I do warn that there will be spoilers for events in previous books in the review. But it isn't good etiquette to not warn readers, no.

Char (CharmaineElaine) Rea wrote: "I find that it's very hard with a series not to give away details of the previous books - as that's what led up to the events in this book! - but I do warn that there will be spoilers for events in..."

I know, but that's why you post a spoiler alert. Otherwise people are going to read it and think "well now I know what happens" I find it disrespectful and as a book blogger you're telling your opinion notr the story. If you want to tell a story you should be the author.

Emma (EmSJ) | 388 comments I agree with Rea, series are harder to avoid that with. To an extent I think you can assume the reader has read the preceding book but it should be clear on the post that you're reviewing the second or third book in a series, that way the reader can steer clear and go look for the review of the first book. I even put spoiler notes on if I'm referring to another book that I think has similar themes etc. I do mention plot but only as much as is in the synopsis usually (not that I'm a book blogger but those are the rules I try to follow in my reviews).

Lara Ruark okay here's my rant: my village has been without water for two days now and last week we only had water for two days....at which time my duplex-mate hogged up the washer & dryer and just when i FINALLY get my chance to do my laundry....we lose water. he does his laundry everyday unless i ask him not to so i can do mine....

not having water is starting to get to me......it's annoying....

Susan Lara wrote: "okay here's my rant: my village has been without water for two days now and last week we only had water for two days....at which time my duplex-mate hogged up the washer & dryer and just when i FIN..."

grrrrr - being the mean old lady that I am... I would have taken his WET soggy clothes out of the washer(s), dumped them into a laundry basket and done at least ONE load of my own. LOL

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) | 302 comments Susan wrote: "grrrrr - being the mean old lady that I am... I would have taken his WET soggy clothes out of the washer(s), dumped them into a laundry basket and done at least ONE load of my own. LOL "

I'm with you - if he's being that selfish he can forget about anyone else showing common decency to him... let his clotehs get one wash then after that jsut put your own in for a wash, it's only fair - as you are sharing a duplex after all.

Lara Ruark Hayley wrote: "Susan wrote: "grrrrr - being the mean old lady that I am... I would have taken his WET soggy clothes out of the washer(s), dumped them into a laundry basket and done at least ONE load of my own. LO..."

thanks guys!! it does feel better to rant!

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) | 302 comments Oh grrr, I have a parcel that was too large to deliver, found out my post office is closer to me than I thought so am considering going to pick it up only to notice the opening times... Mon - Sat 7am to 12:30pm - I mean, really? Not even slightly open in the afternoon for those of us who aren't lucky enough to travel past that way when heading to work... that's ridiculous!

message 87: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Its meant to be a conversation though i feel you dont wanna talk :/ (This for more than one person)
Getting pretty annoyed

message 88: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
20€ p&p? How come last time it was 70€ p&p? Did you just rip me off last time then? Gah!

Also, Lara, yes, take his soggy clothes out and use the washer yourself! Selfish washer-hogging *bleep*.

Susan Tara-Jayne Gaga (BasicallyBooks) wrote: "Its meant to be a conversation though i feel you dont wanna talk :/ (This for more than one person)
Getting pretty annoyed"

huh?? spit it out

message 90: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Im confused Susan.. what do you mean by spit it out

message 91: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

I am trying.. BUT i guess .. Its never right :(

Char (CharmaineElaine) I hate when people guilt trip me. It takes time. It takes me weeks, not days. The more you push me, the longer it will take. Note we're only talking in a convo where there's a third person present, I need to feel that I'm not going to be made to feel like rubbish. Sly little digs just get my back up so much. Seriously if you have an issue with me use my name. Don't be all coy about it. All you do is make me feel angrier. I'm meant to be in a cooling down period.

Susan Tara-Jayne Gaga (BasicallyBooks) wrote: "Im confused Susan.. what do you mean by spit it out"

you said ---Tara-Jayne Gaga (BasicallyBooks) wrote: "Its meant to be a conversation though i feel you dont wanna talk :/ (This for more than one person)
Getting pretty annoyed"

and I wanted to know WHO you were talking to or about...so... spit it out (i.e. tell us!)

Susan Char - that's EXACTLY what I was saying...!
I hate all the inferance or back stabbing !

Char (CharmaineElaine) Haha! It's true. I've always been a fan of saying it to the person's face. I used to be bullied but the person didn't have the guts to do it to my face and I had to find out from a gossip.

Char (CharmaineElaine) New rant: Why were you smashing cars up at 4:40 in the morning? Seriously! You woke up the entire street you bloomin' chav! I'd already had a nightmare! I've had next to no sleep and I'm tired and grumpy!

Also in an effort to get some sleep I slept in and woke up to the sound of my mother bitching (can I say bitching? Is anyone offended?) to my brother about how I was sleeping in. So I walked downstairs and pointed out that not only was I awake but that I hadn't slept. NOW she's being all nicey nice to make it up to me! I don't want you being a hypocrite to me. If you'd bothered asking me when I came down you'd have known... because I tell you EVERY morning when I haven't slept and when I've had a nightmare. Don't take your frustration at having your pills taken away out on me.

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) | 302 comments Ooh, Char - that is just evil chavviness!! I think you need some hot chocolate and early to bed young lady! My dad used to make a point of walking past my bedroom complaining really loud if I was still in bed after 8:30 (I worked til 1am!) I hope you'll sleep better tonight hun!

I'm off up to my aunt's this weekend and have just heard that, once again, her 2nd daughter has not only stolen from her but has also been hitting her (again, this isn't new) I think I need a "girly-girly" one on one chat with this cousin who seems to idolise me about things in life you do - especially when your mother has MS and isn't strong enough to defend herself! (in fact, even if she didn't you don't hit your mum!)

Susan Hayley - I think you need to do more than have a "girly-girly" chat ! you need to open a can of "whoop-ass!" on that girl ! You do not hit your sick parents - even if they're evil and nasty. You LEAVE or you DEAL. ya know ?
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) | 302 comments Susan *ARK* wrote: "Hayley - I think you need to do more than have a "girly-girly" chat ! you need to open a can of "whoop-ass!" on that girl ! You do not hit your sick parents - even if they're evil and nasty. You..."

I know, girly-girly is the only way I can describe it so she doesn't run off in a huff. Her mum is too sweet and never has the energy to discipline - but the other 3 kids are lovely, it's just this brat that needs a talking to! If she starts while I'm there I will kick her spoilt li'l rear.

message 100: by Emma (new)

Emma (EmSJ) | 388 comments A wasp has been harassing me all day and I just managed to smack myself in the face when I was waving it away from the umpteenth time. I actually hit myself so hard my nose went numb! Said wasp is still buzzing around in the office. Why do they find it so difficult to find the open window/door they gained access through?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blood Red Road (other topics)
Fifty Shades of Grey (other topics)