My Big Fat Booky Challenge-athon discussion

Important Stuff > From the moderator

Comments (showing 1-50 of 91) (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

chucklesthescot | 2204 comments Mod
This is where any important information for members will be located.

message 2: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited May 18, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

The group is still being put together so a lot of the challenges have not yet been put up yet so please bear with me! I hope to get things fully operational in the next few days!

message 3: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I want to apologize to all the members of the previous group whose statistics were wiped when I closed down the group. In hindsight I should have given everyone time to transfer their details to the new group before I took down the old one. This was thoughtless of me and I am am really sorry to have messed you guys around.

message 4: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The new challenges are slowly being added. Don't let the titles put you off looking at the challenges as I've tried to make them all suitable to most readers ie Tour de France has nothing to do with reading French related books! Please have a look at everything before making up your mind.

message 5: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I've added 4 new categories onto the About You quiz in the Fun and Games section in case those who have filled in the quiz want to update their responses.

message 6: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Our Group Reads section is now open!

message 7: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited May 27, 2011 05:23AM) (new)

The July Group read Nicholas Sparks poll is now open and will run to June 20th. Register your vote!

message 8: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The July YA group read poll is open and will run until June 15th. Register your vote!

message 9: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Remember that our group reads begin on June 1st! Sign up now!

message 10: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Come on people don't be shy and if you aren't interested in doing the challenges, please start joining in the book chat or vice versa! This is supposed to be an active group!!!

message 11: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Group reads have begun!

message 12: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

If anyone has friends who enjoy book chat and challenges who you think would like to join, tell them about us. Get them to say who referred them and I'll add them on.

message 13: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The Rate your books section has been changed to ask your opinion on book rating and reviewing, which is an improvement from what it was set up to be! You can discuss all aspects of rating and reviewing there now.

message 14: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

You have until June 15th to vote for your paranormal choice for the July group read! Voting closes then to give people a chance to get a copy of the winning read.

The Nicholas Sparks poll closes on June 20th so get voting there as well.

message 15: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Last chance to vote for the YA book of the month for the July group read! Voting closes tomorrow!

message 16: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Voting has closed in the YA read poll for July and Across the Universe has been chosen. We start on July 1st.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 284 comments Hi Chuckles - Wasn't there a challenge for reading books over 500 pages? I can't find it. (Or was that on the old list?)
Thanks!

message 18: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

That was on the old site started by another member but I'll put one up for you now!

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 284 comments Thanks!

message 20: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Thanks to everyone who voted on the polls. The two 'chosen by demand' group reads for July will be Across the Universe and The Notebook

message 21: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The group has now gone public so anyone is welcome to invite their friends to join in!

message 22: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

July readathon started at midnight last night and the group reads are now beginning!

message 23: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Voting has now opened on the Dystopian group read for August. You have until July 24th to vote!

message 24: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The second August poll is giving members the chance to start a popular series from book one. If you have already read the books you can still vote and join in the group discussion of the winning book!

message 25: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Oops! Forgot to put up the discussion threads for the July group reads! It has been done now, sorry! Anyone who has already read the book prior to it being a group read is welcome to join the discussion-just advise of spoilers!

The June group read threads are in the archive challenge section but are still open for anyone to comment on as they read the books.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (nushmutty) So happy that people who have already started the series' can still join in! I'm a really slow reader, so the head start will allow me to stay in the loop, even though I have a feeling I'll still be lagging behind in the end! LOL

message 27: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Jul 24, 2011 05:19AM) (new)

*Please note that any posts that are purely product advertisements will be deleted*

Book discussion threads are only for book discussions, not product advertisement.

You are permitted to advertise your books you have written, book blog or personal web pages in the Shameless self promotion section.

message 28: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Jul 17, 2011 06:28AM) (new)

For all our new members!

-You can still vote for the August group reads until July 24th.
-Look for new friends on our Find A Friend section
-Advertise your books, blogs, book groups and book sites on Shameless Self Promotion
-Found a good book link? Tell us about it in the Book Link section
-Join our challenges!
-Tell us about the books you read on Review your booky section
-Looking for a recommendation for a type of book? Ask for our help on Find me a book! section
-If you are now reading something that we read as a previous group read, you can still talk about it on that book thread in our archive challenge section.
-Join in our various book chats and get to know your fellow members!

message 29: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Jul 24, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

Polls are closed now for the August Group Reads. The dystopian read is Gone. Two urban fantasy books tied so we are doing them both Moon Called and Halfway to the Grave.

If you haven't read these great series, grab a copy and use this chance to start reading the series. Loved the books? Good excuse for a re-read! Even if you have previously read these books, you can still come and join the group discussion as long as you warn of spoilers in advance!!!

If enough people read the two UF ones, each month the next book in the series will be offered in a series read-a-long in addition to the normal group reads.

message 30: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Please note that the group book shelf is only for books read as group reads or series read-a-long.

message 31: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The new group reads are open now but you can still chat about the July reads on the thread. Remember if you have already read this months group reads you can still join in the discussion.

message 32: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Aug 02, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

Voting has opened for the September Group Reads! You have until August 22nd to register your vote. The top two books will be chosen. Go to the group page and from the menu on the right, select 'polls'.

message 33: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Time is running out to choose next month's group reads! Go and place your votes!

message 34: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

The voting is now open for the October group reads! You have until September 20th to make your selections.

message 35: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

A new section has been opened for discussions concerning diet, exercise and healthy living. It seems a few of us are trying to get into better shape so why not pop in and chat with people in similar situations-get some tips about food, exercise and medication, give us your stories about the highs and lows of weight loss groups and diets, share your tips and ideas.

message 36: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Important message for members and friends:

PLEASE don't send me more invitations to events, book clubs, book groups, book sites, meet the author etc. The pile of messages I get each week are clogging up my Inbox and it takes ages to read and delete them individually on this old computer. I don't have the time or interest for events and I'm a member of all the groups I want to be in. Dealing with these messages leaves me little time for my groups so please, no more!!!

Book recommendations are fine but only if they fit the genres I'm interested in. Please don't just include me in a book recommendation group email to everyone you know. I HATE chicklit, romance, all-sex-no-plot Paranormal romance, paranormal humour, crime, mystery, historical romance, nf ghost books, YA love stories with token paranormal characters.

Thank you

message 37: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I will not be online for a while. All questions will be dealt with when I come back

message 38: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

Voting for Group Reads has now been abandoned as those who are voting for the winning book are mostly not reading it or posting about it. From now on, group reads will be selected at random based on what I am reading. If anyone else wants to join me in reading these books, great, you are very welcome!

message 39: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (last edited Nov 09, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

There will be a huge bunch of new challenges going up for 2012. Although these challenges will start on January 1st, I'll be adding them to the site between now and then to give everyone a chance to prepare their books. I'll put it under the section called Coming Soon, then in January I'll move them all into the Group Challenge section. If anyone has an idea that they'd like me to put up as a Group Challenge, just drop me an email with the details. And for Katrina and a few others, I'll be trying to add in a page counting element to some of the challenges including the readathon. So lots of booky fun will be happening for 2012!

ETA-on the new threads, you can start to set up your book choices now as long as you don't start reading them before January 1st!

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 284 comments Please do an A-Z title challenge along with the author one. Next year I want to try to do both.

message 41: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

It's on the list Chris x

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 284 comments Thanks! :-)

message 43: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I had a few issues yesterday trying to load up the new challenges as the scroll down menu to place the new challenges in the appropriate section refused to work. I'm trying again today.

message 44: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

I'm going to be working on the rest of the new challenges that will start in January over the next few days so watch out for more new ones!

message 45: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) I really appreciate all of the work you put into creating challenges for us! The new year is going to be great. :)

message 46: by Bea (new)

Bea Chuckles, I really appreciate the creativeness of your challenges. Thanks for all the work you put into the group.

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 151 comments I agree! Thank you, Chuckles, not only for all the great challenges but also for making this group so much fun!

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 284 comments Yeah, Chuckles!!!

message 49: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

You guys are making me blush! I hope you'll enjoy the challenges when we get started!

message 50: by chucklesthescot, Bookaholic (new)

*IMPORTANT*

It seems that friends are not adhering to the requests on my profile, despite me asking many times for my requests to be respected. But I am STILL receiving invites to join groups and attend events, none of which have anything to do with my book interests. This is the last warning that I'm giving about this so from now on, anyone continuing to do this will be removed from my friends list.

Please also note that to be added to my friend list, you must answer the challenge question indicating why you want to be my friend. Failure to do so will lead to the request being ignored. (See the adding me as a friend part of my profile for suggested answers to this question)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Notebook (other topics)
Across the Universe (other topics)
Gone (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
Halfway to the Grave (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Estes (other topics)