Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Writer's Lounge

Comments (showing 351-400 of 4,422) (4422 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1767 comments 2 minutes til TrueBlood and 1400 words.

Sent wrong file to crit group -- some of which was first draft material. Invested a good hour or two O.Oing.

Oops.

LOL

message 352: by Cleon (last edited Jul 24, 2011 07:00PM) (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Jordan wrote: "I got about 1,100 words written in chapter 8."

That's good too!

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments Kari, I still liked it a lot!

Cleon, definitely not as bad as I'd originally feared.

So, yesterday was my Saturday and today is my Sunday. So, I'm still doing the challenge.

Laundry never got done yesterday, so today it HAS to get done.

I also still have to write 3 or 4 scenes for chapter 8. So those two things are my goals for today. And, if I'm lucky, maybe I'll even get to tae kwon do class tonight, but don't hold your breath.

In the meantime, I'm going to read a short HJD story to start me off on my day before I get into writing. Woot!

Also, glad to know that my problem is not writing on a computer in general, but the size of my netbook. Soon as I log off the internet, my other computer will come out and we'll get to writing asap!

message 354: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Forgot, I'm doing a giveaway on someone's blog this week. I have a kid on vacay with grandparents, a kid going to Trail Riding Camp this week, and I'm going to do internet PR and finish Frat Boy & Toppy by Friday.

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments Ooohhh trail riding... that sounds like so much fun! lol.

So, I'm checking in and I've finished chapter 8! Finally. I'm debating whether or not to participate in Camp NaNoWrimo next month just to help me get this book done. And if I do that, then I'll have to somehow make up a Camp NaNoEdMo to help me get it edited in September so I can have at least one month to plot All For Pazu.

Totaly word count so far is over 36K. And between yesterday and today I wrote about 3,600 words, which is the goal for day two of Nanowrimo. lol. I made sure to write at least that much between two days. And I'm thankful it took me to the end of the chapter.

Next up on my goals for today: finish checking email, check out camp wrimo, do laundry/read Redwall, and start writing chapter 9 if I can.

message 356: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1767 comments Jordan wrote: "Kari, I still liked it a lot!"

LOL, maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. I only did a quick pass through for comments & to try to figure out which version I posted...Egads. ;D

Writing for me today...which is not the wkend, but WTH...look at shiny new cover art - check. Send comments/suggestions for final on cover - check. Email - check. Twitter - check. Site stats -- (WTF? but nonetheless) check. My, aren't I the productive one? I can afford a few minutes for farmville before heading back into Collared...

...harvest trees...

...harvest more trees...

...puppy runs away because I didn't feed it (damn it)...

...beg nearest & dearest to remind me to feed puppy that does not exist...

...two hours later...

Crap.

LOL

message 357: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Okay, I'm committing to 2k a day until FB&T is done. I'm at 25k after adding 1k so far today. And it's going much better.

message 358: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments 2,644 words today! :-D And I'm not sure I'm done. My total is about 26,700.

message 359: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Kari, I still liked it a lot!"

LOL, maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. I only did a quick pass through for comments & to try to figure out which version I posted...Egads. ;D

Writi..."

Kari, considering how focused you are most of the time, I think a couple hours won't kill you. Just don't do it again, young lady, or LC will have to crop you.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "2,644 words today! :-D And I'm not sure I'm done. My total is about 26,700."

Wow, that's cool, Anne! My goal is revise part 1 and write 1k today. Baby step. LOL.

message 361: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1767 comments Didn't check my word count before I started today, but if I remember my numbers right, that's 1K. A pretty freaking intense 1K, though. Holy crud. Not that I think readers will trip over it; I've written plenty darker. This one's just pushing all my buttons. Like CRAZY.

Tell me again why I choose to occupy this head space? Oh yeah. I'm an idiot. LOL

FWIW, I'm going to start tweeting my daily word counts until this SOB has been put to bed. #ThisBookIsKillingMe hashtag if anyone wants to join in between weekend challenges. ;-p

message 362: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "Didn't check my word count before I started today, but if I remember my numbers right, that's 1K. A pretty freaking intense 1K, though. Holy crud. Not that I think readers will trip over it; I've w..."

Awesome Kari -- I'll tweet mine, too.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Kari wrote: "Didn't check my word count before I started today, but if I remember my numbers right, that's 1K. A pretty freaking intense 1K, though. Holy crud. Not that I think readers will trip over it; I've w..."

I would if I had Twitter. LOL.

message 364: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Cleon wrote: "Kari wrote: "Didn't check my word count before I started today, but if I remember my numbers right, that's 1K. A pretty freaking intense 1K, though. Holy crud. Not that I think readers will trip ov..."

Can't you get an account there? Or do you just not want to?

message 365: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Jordan wrote: "Ooohhh trail riding... that sounds like so much fun! lol.

So, I'm checking in and I've finished chapter 8! Finally. I'm debating whether or not to participate in Camp NaNoWrimo next month just to..."

I'm having the worst time figuring out Camp NaNoWriMo. I didn't even figure out it was next month for sure. Thanks for the heads up! Oh, and I registered my book as a published NaNo.

message 366: by Cleon (last edited Jul 25, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Kari wrote: "Didn't check my word count before I started today, but if I remember my numbers right, that's 1K. A pretty freaking intense 1K, though. Holy crud. Not that I think reader..."

I can get an account but right now I really don't have the energy to juggle between my real life persona and author persona. I am afraid I'll mix them up. lol.

message 367: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Shockingly good evening. 6,600 words for the day. I did the math three times to be sure.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "Shockingly good evening. 6,600 words for the day. I did the math three times to be sure."

WOW! When the muse is talking we just can't stop, can we? LOL. I wonder what I have to sacrifice to the Muse god now...

message 369: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1767 comments Excellent work, Anne!

message 370: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Shockingly good evening. 6,600 words for the day. I did the math three times to be sure."

WOW! When the muse is talking we just can't stop, can we? LOL. I wonder what I have to sacri..."

A foreskin.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Shockingly good evening. 6,600 words for the day. I did the math three times to be sure."

WOW! When the muse is talking we just can't stop, can we? LOL. I wonder what I..."

EW! LOL.

message 372: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "Excellent work, Anne!"

Thank you (*simper*).

message 373: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Shockingly good evening. 6,600 words for the day. I did the math three times to be sure."

WOW! When the muse is talking we just can't stop, can we? LOL. I ..."

Tee-hee-hee.

message 374: by mc (last edited Jul 26, 2011 06:14AM) (new)

mc | 1411 comments A foreskin.

I'm not going to ask how your husband felt about that.

So, congratulations, anyway!!

message 375: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments mc wrote: "A foreskin.

I'm not going to ask how your husband felt about that.

So, congratulations, anyway!!"

His had already been offered up. I had to steal one. Don't tell the neighbors.

message 376: by mc (new)

mc | 1411 comments Really, all you need to do is talk to the neighborhood rabbi, Anne.

And this discussion, on top of the HSD story about stealing testicles. Oy!

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments mc wrote: "Really, all you need to do is talk to the neighborhood rabbi, Anne.

And this discussion, on top of the HSD story about stealing testicles. Oy!"

The guys really need to be careful around us... ;)

message 378: by mc (new)

mc | 1411 comments Not me, Cleon - no need to change the OEM on this product. :)

message 379: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments You just wait, MC. You could find yourself needing a quick sacrifice to the gods of gay erotica. There's never a good moil around when you need one, either.

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments LOL, wow. Congrats Anne!

Well, the way Camp Wrimo works is this: you can do it whenever you want, provided you start at the beginning of a month and end at the end of that month. So you could have done it in July, if you'd wanted to. Sign in, and you'll find four pep talk emails waiting in your inbox. I didn't read mine.

When I finished my writing yesterday, I wrote a little over the requirement of two days writing for Wrimo, so I'm starting a week early and doing it on my own. That's 1,667 words per day = 50K by the end of the month, for those who haven't done Wrimo before.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a PDF of a Word Progress Chart, so you can color in boxes for every 500 words you write, and you can cross off each day as it passes you by, and write down the word count you've reached at the end of each day. I'd be happy to share it with anyone who's interested. And, even though it says November and is plastered with Nanowrimo, you can use it whenever you want.

Anyway, I wrote about 476 words this morning. Then my day went further to hell, what with the not feeling well, the not getting enough sleep for over a week, and the return of the bed bugs. I have now called the exterminators, but they have to do an inspection before they can come back and do a treatment. ugh. I'm already taking a sick day today, and then I have to leave work extra early on thursday for them. yay.

Ummm... what are my goals for the rest of today? Veg, don't get up from the chair, wish I had a cute house boy to get me a tall drink of lemonade, try to finish out my word count for the day, and read at least one HJD story.

Oh yeah, and somehow tell everyone who's reading my novel that I've changed the villain's name at the request of my other crit group. Hmmm... lol, Taylor, this is good news for you, since he was named Taylor.

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments Oh yeah, and I like the idea of tweeting daily word counts. If I can, I will do that too. Though, I try not to go online once I get home, so I might be tweeting a day late, but it should be fun.

message 382: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Oh, I forgot about that word count coloring chart. I'll do that. I think I'll do camp next month, but I have to finish this story, (word count today = 0), then clean out my sewing room so one of my kids can have it as a bedroom.

message 383: by Cleon (last edited Jul 26, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Have fun cleaning, Anne!

Revised chapter 1, and total word count is 3,8 k. And they haven't kissed. Just my luck. Why my muse can't throw me a hot flirty professor instead of a stuck up one like the one in my head who prefers to clean up with disinfectant wipes than having sex? I am not even sure he;s not frigid. LOL.

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments Anne, do you want me to send you the one I made up? I'm not sure if they have official ones from Wrimo or not.

lol, Cleon, my other crit group was thinking that chapter 4 was too early for a sex scene. Thankfully someone else in the group has read at least one M/M book and could varify that it wasn't too early.

good luck with your guys! i'm sure he's not that frigid.

message 385: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1767 comments Uh...

I Omega leads off with a spanking scene in Ch1 and launches directly into hot sex in Ch2. And then it really gets pervy. ;-p

You have to go where the story leads you. If characters don't kiss until Ch4? Then they don't kiss until Ch4. If Hero1 is blowing Hero2 on page 1? Send that book to me. I wanna read it. LOL!

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments LOL... That might be a good novel starter for a future book. But my current one, sex is chapter four and the next one... Well, it'll probably be sooner than four, but not the opening scene... maybe... now that I think about it though... I might have to reconsider that! lol. I mean, that is how my two main characters meet, through anon sex in an alley. So that might be an interesting way to start the novel. FYI, I'll be writing that in November.

message 387: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments I regret to inform all of you that I suck at math. I transposed two numbers last night, so guess what? My total for yesterday was actually 3,654.

So far today, I have about 900 words. My grand total is almost 29k.

And just in case anyone cares, in my 29k, I have a grand total of 5, count them, 5 sex scenes. So far. There's at least one more on the way (the fine print: total includes two self-love scenes).

message 388: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13204 comments I forgot to mention that I did 3400 on Sunday. So I'm now in the final stretch. I'm doing an impromptu challenge to finish the novella tonight.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Josh wrote: "I forgot to mention that I did 3400 on Sunday. So I'm now in the final stretch. I'm doing an impromptu challenge to finish the novella tonight."

Yay for you! :D

message 390: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper Are you guys beta-ing or just motivating each other? I just stumbled across this thread and can't quite get it. I wrote a 19,000 word short yesterday, so motivation isn't really a problem but I'm liking the group effect.

message 391: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13204 comments Motivation and chat -- making ourselves accountable for our goals.

With the added plus of letting everyone else know what you're working on. ;-D

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Kaje wrote: "Are you guys beta-ing or just motivating each other? I just stumbled across this thread and can't quite get it. I wrote a 19,000 word short yesterday, so motivation isn't really a problem but I'm..."

19k words.... God... I so hate you, Kaje. J/K. lol.

Anne and I "beta" each other and some of us exchanged beta service when we wrote our HSD fics. But now we mostly support each other since our fics are not ready for group beta yet. I hope I can get chapter 1 a bit cleaner for other people to read it today.

message 393: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1767 comments This is for motivation. For the beta, you should join the crit group, Kaje. I'm pretty sure Josh hasn't closed membership yet and it'd be outstanding to have you! :D

I think I need a Kari-Must-Get-This-Book-Done-Or-Die mid-week challenge because weekend-only just ain't gonna cut it.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Kari wrote: "This is for motivation. For the beta, you should join the crit group, Kaje. I'm pretty sure Josh hasn't closed membership yet and it'd be outstanding to have you! :D

I think I need a Kari-Must-Get..."

Whether in group or here, LC is the one holding the crop though. ;)

Taylor Donovan (TaylorVDonovan) Kaje, I belong to the crit group and I've got to say, it's excellent. You should consider it :-)

As far as writing, not a darn word for me other than outlining a WIP and play around with a few ideas for my Christmas short for MLR. I still don't know if I want to use Manny and Richard or completely new characters. I have ideas for both.

message 396: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13204 comments Kari wrote: "This is for motivation. For the beta, you should join the crit group, Kaje. I'm pretty sure Josh hasn't closed membership yet and it'd be outstanding to have you! :D

I think I need a Kari-Must-Get..."

Then here is that challenge, Kari.

Get 'er done.

message 397: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper Josh wrote: "Motivation and chat -- making ourselves accountable for our goals.

With the added plus of letting everyone else know what you're working on. ;-D"

That's great. I wrote in isolation for a long time before trying to publish, so this sounds nice.

@Cleon: that's just the way I work. The bit-by-bit writing happens somewhere in the back of my mind and when I do sit down at the keyboard it pours out. My HSD story took one day to write, three locked up to ferment, and one day of editing. Would probably have been good to beta it, but I didn't do that. The long stretches on the keyboard are kind of hard on the neck and wrists though, and I wish I'd taken a typing class in school.

@Kari: Good luck with that although I hope you don't die. :)

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5125 comments Wow Kaje, that's a GREAT word count!

Yesterday I wrote about 1,300, which is roughly 300 shy of my goal, however, I did get chapter 9 completed, so that made me happy.

I know Anne's participating in Camp Nanowrimo next month. I don't know if I will or not. But it definitely helps. Right now, I'm just sticking with their daily word count goals, and starting it a week early on my own. We'll see how far I can get. If I feel I need to do it, I'll do it, but I won't get upset if I don't get the 50K word count. My goal will be to finish the novel even if that means I only need to write another 30K.

BUT, chapter 10 is my pivitol chapter so I'm excited to be starting it later today!

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Kaje wrote: "Josh wrote: "Motivation and chat -- making ourselves accountable for our goals.

With the added plus of letting everyone else know what you're working on. ;-D"

That's great. I wrote in isolation..."

I think everyone writes differently. I am actually a more visual person than auditory, which means writing doesn't come naturally to me. I have no trouble at all picturing scenes in my head, it's the writing them down that's troublesome. Which is why I am very stingy with words. If other writers need to cut down some parts of their story, I really need to expand it.

message 400: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Josh wrote: "Get 'er done"

You don't even want to know how horribly hick you sounded in my head when I read that.

2300 words last night.