Dear John Dear John question

The song Dear John
GracieMakasie  Becker GracieMakasie May 15, 2011 12:58PM
Dose the song Dear John by Taylor Swift relate to the book?

No. The song is about John Mayer.
But thats a coincidence!

i never thought it did. i thought it was just her and somebody named john. i did think about it but i don't think so.

No, it doesn't really relate to the book.

Not at all, really.

nope. It's about John Mayer.

Katherine (last edited May 22, 2011 06:22PM ) May 22, 2011 06:20PM   0 votes
To send a Dear John letter, means to send somebody a letter breaking up with them. That's why Nicholas Sparks named his book that (and probably his character John). Taylor Swift's song is indeed rumored to be about John Mayer, and in the song it says: "Wondering which version of you I might get on the phone tonight, Well I stopped picking up, and this song is to let you know why." So it was her form of the "Dear John" letter. It wasn't inspired by the book, but both were inspired by the Dear John concept that had already been around for ages.
(By the way..the person *doesn't* need to be named John in order for it to be a Dear John letter, in case that wasn't obvious.)
You can Youtube the song, or just google the lyrics.

The song is actually dedicated to John Mayer, whom Taylor was dating for a short time. It was just coincidence that it had the same name as the book and movie.

When I heard that song I immeaditly thought of this movie

Nope. Dear John book is different. John the character I feel is nothing like the song by Taylor.

never heard the song, how does it go? May just be a coincidence.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Dear John (other topics)