Christopher Paolini (INHERITANCE CYCLE series) discussion

Welcome > Age and Eragon

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments OK. So I'm just curious as to how old people are in this group. I'm 21 and I'm obsessed with the inheritance cycle.. I know a lot of people consider these books "children's books". So considering I'm not a child I feel a little.. wounded? My sister and her boyfriend are constantly making fun of me and giving me "gag gifts" that have to do with dragons. So what do you guys think about it? Does anyone else think that these books are children books? And why?

message 2: by Harpoon (last edited May 10, 2011 09:06AM) (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments Nope, and I'm older than you.

message 3: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments Good. People just don't understand the awesomeness of these books.. they just judge them by what they hear and the AWFUL movie.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (LadyEpona) | 287 comments I agree with you Marx lol I'm also 21 and I'm OBSESSED with the Cycle as well :D I've read/re-read the first 3 books about 10 times lol I basically know them by heart!

I think that any books classified as "YA" can still be read by adults. A good story is a good story no matter what your age! :D

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments im 16 and when i saw eragon in the 10-14 range at the local bookstore i thought 'How is this a kids book? LOTR isnt so why is this?'

message 6: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (Briaq) | 38 comments I love the series, and I'm in 7th grade. I actually haven't read the 3rd completely because I stopped the audiobook because I had so many other books.

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (CatsBooksandCritters) | 34 comments I'm 17 and know another 17 year old who reads them and both of us enjoy them.

message 8: by Marx (last edited May 10, 2011 09:00PM) (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments Yeah 10-14 range? No way! I think people of all ages can read these books.. but really? if you're a 10 year old are you going to pick up on everything in the books? I guess I don't really remember what it was like to be 10.. hmmm

Yeah LOTR is basically the same thing.. different writing style but very similar reading level I'd say.

message 9: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments Um...Not really I would think it is more for the fantasy lover no matter what the age. There are some people out there that don't like the series because it copies to many other series ect....Honestly to me I don't care as long as it is entertaining it is good.

People spend way to much time fussing over he copied this and that to the point they don't actually read the story to find out about the plot. Just to point out the many errors and coping that is in it.

Lord of the Rings is good it maybe even be better then the inheritance Cycle to a degree. But I have to point out that LOTR is much darker then Eragon.

However my main point is that Eragon and be enjoyed by anyone who has open mind to it...like all of us.

and I'm much older then everyone here so...lol :p

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (LadyEpona) | 287 comments I agree...I mean all fantasy stories are going to be similar. In fact, all stories in a specific genre will be similar because an author can only write about so many different plot points. All stories of a certain genre will be similar to some degree, I think.

I don't think it matters what age you are...a great novel is a great novel :)

Personally, I found LOTR too complicated and hard to read/follow. It was so complex and intricate in the writing style and the names and everything that I felt like it was taxing to read it. However, with Eragon I think it is a book that flows much easier and there isn't a lot of discussion of the logistical stuff, like the characters discussing plans of action and councils and whatnot. It was much easier to get sucked into the story and imagine yourself participating in the events with the characters. I found LOTR to be quite a mature level of writing style, and I think it was a bit too complicated to really get absorbed fully into the story.

With Eragon, I could imagine myself right next to him and Saphira when they were fighting Durza or flying across the Hadarac Desert to Farthen Dur. It was just so...intoxicating (?) I guess is the word I'm looking for? With LOTR I was constantly confused and I got stalled at certain parts because I was bored or I was having a hard time understanding things.

As you can probably tell, I LOVE the Eragon books! I read them first when I was, oh I don't know 15? I've re-read them so many times I practically have the dialogue memorized!!! Lol

With LOTR I read it once and I was happy to have it done with. For me, I enjoyed the movies more (which is RARELY the case).

message 11: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments THE LOTR book has lots of poems. I don't really comprehend poems.

message 12: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments Brittany wrote: "I agree...I mean all fantasy stories are going to be similar. In fact, all stories in a specific genre will be similar because an author can only write about so many different plot points. All stor..."
same thing with me but i did enjoy reading the books, i'd rather watch the lotr movie, but i'd rather read eragon, they messed up the eragon movie

message 13: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments Harpoon wrote: "THE LOTR book has lots of poems. I don't really comprehend poems."

hahaha

message 14: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (Briaq) | 38 comments I think I might appreciate the books better than other kids. I like how he uses a wide vocabulary, and reading it the second time helped me add some pretty impressive words to mine.

message 15: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments Wide is not the right word. CP created a whole new dwarf language for this book.

message 16: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments yeah pretty impressive. J.R.R. Tolkien created a whole elf language too

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (LadyEpona) | 287 comments I enjoyed CP's Inheritance Cycle way more than J.R.R. Tolkien's LOTR.

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments ae. but from a new zealand perspective LOTR has more significance

message 19: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (Briaq) | 38 comments I mean, he uses words that I never knew existed.

message 21: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (Briaq) | 38 comments Speaking of new words, I learned a new one: Frienemy.

message 22: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word in the english language. I never knew that existed. It is a real word i assure you.

message 23: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments okay we get the point...back to the topic at hand. :)

I can say I read the LOTR series and watched the movies but I think I like the books too...there is more stuff in the books than in the movies (as we all know) I wouldn't mind re-reading them.

I wouldn't mind re-reading Eragon either lol.

J.R.R Toliken had a mature level of writing that is true...he created languages for his series and it took him his whole life. Also he was a WWI veteran I believe and after the war is when he actually start to write the books. So all the strategies, war talking ect...were from his own experiences. He just incorporated it into the fantasy aspects. He really thought out his story well in other words.

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments lotr only has cultural significance for me because it is a symbol of national pride in new zealand

message 25: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (Briaq) | 38 comments Jared wrote: "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word in the english language. I never knew that existed. It is a real word i assure you."

I know. I can say it. But I can't spell it...did you know each syllable has a different meaning? You can what it means by looking at each.

message 26: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments the definition is a disease that you can get from inhaling fine silica dust which inflames your lungs

message 27: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments Ursula the Strigoi wrote: "lotr only has cultural significance for me because it is a symbol of national pride in new zealand"

Really? I suppose it would be having been filmed there right? :)

message 28: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments Graziella wrote: "Ursula the Strigoi wrote: "lotr only has cultural significance for me because it is a symbol of national pride in new zealand"

Really? I suppose it would be having been filmed there right? :)"

Didn't New Zealand have some kind of personal significance to JRR tolkien? I forgot what it was though.. hmmmm. Anyone know?

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments no he never came to the country. the director of LOTR movies was Peter Jackson, a Kiwi. he showcased some of New Zealands best features. If Peter Jackson had Directed Eragon it would have been EPIC!!!!!!!!

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (LadyEpona) | 287 comments Yeah they should have gotten Peter Jackson to direct Eragon. He would have done an AMAZING job :)

message 31: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments Ursula the Strigoi wrote: "no he never came to the country. the director of LOTR movies was Peter Jackson, a Kiwi. he showcased some of New Zealands best features. If Peter Jackson had Directed Eragon it would have been EPI..."

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!

message 32: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments That would have been awesome if he directed Eragon! too bad it wasn't the case :(

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments well the hobbit will be finished in 1-2 years time and mabey we can petition to get him to co-create the eragon movie with weta workshops (their a kiwi animation/ special efects company and they did the animation and CGI for LOTR)

message 34: by Graziella (last edited May 21, 2011 05:18PM) (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments oh they are making a movie out of the hobbit? I did not know that...

a petition could possibly work you know...

message 35: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments yes they are

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments You diddnt know about the hobbit????? it was all over trhe newsw here cause of some actors union thing

message 37: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments I think i maybe heard it some where a while ago...but I didn't hear anything official of yet.

however it is cool I will have to read the hobbit first though. I'm sure I have plenty of time to do that. :)

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments OMG there was a small fire on the Hobbit set in wellington

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

i am 17

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments DID YOU NOT READ THE POST ABOUT A FIRE ON THE HOBBIT SET> oh the horror *sob*

message 41: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (Grazia) | 664 comments there was? but it was only a small fire right? everyone was okay?

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments Yea their all fine.

message 43: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments Jared wrote: "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word in the english language. I never knew that existed. It is a real word i assure you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhQN-...

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments i thought ir was supercalifragilisticexpialidocios

message 45: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments I tried googling Titin, it is veeery long.

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk

message 47: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Sue (NatalieSue25) Well i'm 16 right now but these books have been in my life for awhile now. I know I read Eragon when I was in 3rd or 4th grade then Eldest in 5th. Now I am 16 and waiting impatiently for the 4th book to arrive.

message 49: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments Welcome to the WAITING club natalie.

It Makes Sense In Context | 194 comments hehe lol GO GALBATORIX

« previous 1

Christopher Paolini (INHERITANCE CYCLE series)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eragon's Guide to Alagaesia (other topics)