Dear John Dear John discussion

Did anyone else think that the ending was kind of sad?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 247) (247 new)    post a comment »

Khurram Shahbaz No, that was actually very sad! It should be like in the movie.

Emily i cried like a little baby when i read the ending!! i ddnt know there was a movie tho :/

Shannon I didn't know either until one of my friends told me so don't feel bad :)

Khurram Shahbaz Yeah, but movie was good.

message 55: by Soad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soad i wish he would write a happy ending just once

message 56: by Lida (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lida Normally I prefer a happy ending, life is real, so it is kind of nice to read a book and know it will have a happy ending. But every once in a while, it is refreshing to read something that feels like it is not fiction but reality. And of all the NS books I have read, this one was very refreshing.
And yeah, didn't like or approve of Savannah's choices, if she really love John, she would have waited and marrying someone out of pity, is insulting to both of them, her and Tim.

message 57: by Soad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soad yeah i didnt like savannah's choices either i mean who would give up john for some one else and then she wants him again i mean john is a better person then she is but some people dont know what they have until they lose it

Khurram Shahbaz Yeah, but Lida was right that in real life we can't have them which we love the most. Movie was supposed to be an EPIC.

Khurram Shahbaz Yeah, but Lida was right that in real life we can't have them which we love the most. Movie was supposed to be an EPIC.

Claire It was not a happy ending that we hoped for but it showed that in our lives our decisions have consequences that go much further down the line that what we initialy think and John must take some responsibility for the outcome. Mind you if you want to see a completly different outcome just watch the film!

message 61: by Hannah (last edited Aug 22, 2011 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah I thought the ending was sad but necessary. For John to completely become a man he needed to learn about how true love works. The ending was perfect for the story but sad for the characters.

Shannon Yeah, that's what I meant......

Nicole Callahan Honestly, I did not like the ending to this book at all!

Hannah Nicole wrote: "Honestly, I did not like the ending to this book at all!"

I can see why.

message 65: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam All his books are sad

message 66: by Zoë (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoë Kind of sad? I don't know about everyone else, but I bawled my eyes out. (I get really attached to characters I like...)

Jarin soo sad!!

Justice yes it was extremley sad... he should have ended up with the girl he loved but i still give it 5 stars(:

Catherine Erica wrote: "Yes, I thought it was sad too. Did you see the movie? They changed the ending."

I agree...why do they always do that when they make a movie? there were alot of things that were different in the movie.

Catherine it's one thing to leave some part out because it it is insignificant to the story, but to chenge it completely?

message 71: by Nez (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nez it was really sad!!!!! i mean the story>>>>>>

but i guess it give us some lessons>>>

do not just depend on a promises of others,
and that in our life there is no perfct world nor a prfct person>>>>> and even a prfct ending>>>>>

we should always think of the othr options in life>>>

and be open minded on it>>>>>

>>>>> 0_0 just a thought>>>>>

Donna Antaramian Shannon wrote: "I find it really sad how John doesn't get the girl he loves. He has to live with the fact that he would never get her and he has to watch her as she is in love with someone else. I know that the en..."

I think all of his books end sad.

Donna Antaramian Vrsh wrote: "Not every love story has a happy ending. I think thats what he wants to show."

Every single time? I stopped reading his books for that exact reason. Once and while life does end up happy. The only book I ever read that ended happy was The Wedding.

message 74: by Catherine (last edited Aug 30, 2011 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine the endings are not all completely sad! you have to look for the silver lining! yes..something bad inevitably happens to the main character, but if his/her life was all peaches and cream, there wouldn't really be a story. plus..Nicholas Sparks takes real issues, and makes them the subject...so in that respect...his subject matter is not always happy. plus...the ending is usually not cut and dry...there is a wide open window of opportunity left hanging.

Nancy Boone I think it was very sad but I think it was the right ending for the story.

Jacqueline Oh boy I was sooooo sad when she broke up with Jone through a letter.
But still the end was so heartbreaking! They really loved each other but couldnt be together. And he did the most unselfish thing ever.
Love the book <3

Melody Have to say this is the one book that where I liked the movie better than the book I like the ending better

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: I liked the ending, even though it was painful, it was an reminder (like in an Walk to Remember) about how love is selfless. John said it best....

“I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.”

<33

message 79: by Moon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Moon Yes the ending was extremely sad...its so nice hw der love story blooms bt den all of sudden savannah goes from him as well as his dad dies !! To see this from life point of view Nicholas Sparks is a brave author at sad endings and in real life der r soo many wives who lost der hubbies in the war :/ der stories r very shattering thn dis !!

Ruchita Mahimkar Soad wrote: "i wish he would write a happy ending just once"

He has written :) Read his The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

Ashley this book was really. good, and i think the ending was stupid, but he also made it kinda drag on... i love his books but this one was better as a movie.

message 82: by Kristy (last edited Dec 06, 2011 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristy The movie ends better/different than the book. I don't really think it should have been changed from the book, but it did make the movie better than the book for doing so.

Prarthana I loved this book.... actually it was that great that I'm going to write a book review on it!

Tunrola Ase I really didn't like the ending. I mean I like twists in books, but in Dear John I just felt, like: "Was that necessary(???)"

Shannon Same here!!!

Tunrola Ase Shannon wrote: "Same here!!!"

Great minds think alike!:)

Brandie yes it was who breaks up with someone through a letter

Olivia i liked the way this book ended, because in real life we dont always have happy endings, but the two of them will always remember each other, they have that summer spent together.

Catherine yes..I agree..they will never forget one another...but you don;t break up with someone in a lettre...at least you shouldn't...you should be able to face the person...

yes...in life we don't always get happy endings...but don't you read books to escape reality? alot of people want the happy ending..even if it is vague.

Firrose(Felrose) I agree too, the ending of the story was kind of sad,
and because not all love story ends with a happy ending.

♥Aicha~high~on~books♥ The movie ending is so much better! Two people like John and Savannah deserve to be together!
Saying anything else is just harsh! I mean just look at them .. they are perfect together! and as long as we are talking fiction we might as well give them all we can! So yea! HEA and their own Movie with it ! absolutely!
Everytime they said I went like awwww...
How can they not be together!

message 93: by Lia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lia the ending was very sad and depressing having no one. but i would not want the book to end any other way

Nicole Rusli I thought that it would be a lovely ending and that they would live happily ever after, but the true ending made the story that much more perfect. The ending is super depressing and I want to slap Savannah, but that was what made the book incredible I guess.

Leonor It's NS we're talking about. Of course it's sad...

Prarthana That was weird to me too...

Starburst i was pissed at savannah. You can't just ditch john when you still love him! yeah... it seemed savannah had changed so much.

Madiha the ending was sad because john heart was broken savannah should have stayed on her promise which she made it to john ... savannah was a selfish girl not only in betraying the promise but also what she used to do with him whenever they had a time together on his holidays

message 99: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna At first I hated the ending with a passion. But then upon reflection I realized that it turning out any other way would be unrealistic and a cop-out ending.

message 100: by IsЯaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

IsЯaa It was kinda sad , but in a way or another it was REALISTIC !

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Dear John (other topics)
The Lucky One (other topics)
A River Moves Forward (other topics)