Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > I Need A New Vacuum! There are too many choices...

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments So, my vacuum died and I’m looking to replace it. The one I have was about $200.00 and lasted only four years... I’m thinking of a Dyson for pet hair (it must be good for pet hair). I’ve read loads of reviews online, but it’s hard to tell who actually likes their vacuum or just raves about it to justify how much money they spent on it. I trust all the TC’ers to give their honest opinions and I know many of you have pets and probably vacuums too. I don’t want to spends as much as I would on a decent used car either, my max would be $400-$500. Whaddya think?

message 2: by Phil (last edited May 08, 2011 07:42AM) (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Our Dyson works very well. We got the one with the ball on the bottom so I don't have to travel a straight line with it. The hose attachment is awkward, but I rarely use it.

Prior to that my wife bought a vacuum that had (they claimed) been developed specifically to pick up pet hair. It was horrible (I don't remember the brand).

message 3: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Thanks Phil- can you use it on hardwood also? and what colour is yours?

message 4: by Lori (Hellian) (new)

Lori (Hellian) I also have/had a Dyson and it worked really well. But recently the power head died - had it for a good 12 years. By luck I found a Kenmore cannister at GoodWill and it's working great! Yes you can use the Dyson on hardwood. Mine was yellow but it's an older upright model. The DC4.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments On hardwood we use the switch that turns off the roller thingy. I had to run upstairs to check the color -- it's grey & purple. From the label it appears to be a DC Animal 15 or some such.

message 6: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Thanks Phil & Lori... looks like it will be the purple/grey animal dyson!

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments definitely avoid the bissell pet hair eraser upright!! we have a long hair mini dachshund that, admittedly, sheds rediculously, but i'm so not satisfied with this vacuum. firstly, you have to vacuum every day or rather than picking up all the hair, the vacuum leaves thin trails of hair on each side. the hose for attachments will somehow loosen itself from the tube attaching it to the vacuum and, unless you have shorts on and can feel all the trash hitting you on the legs, you look behind you only to find a trail of all the trash you've just picked up. it's supposed to vacuum right up to the edges of walls and furniture. uhh, no. the dust canister entrance hole clogs up often and you have to take the damn thing apart to get to it and unclog it. and the beater bar is forevermore getting hair wrapped around it and you have to take it apart there to remove the bar and sit for-fricking-ever untangling it. and, it wasn't cheap!! totally a waste of money in my opinion.

message 8: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Thanks Angela- the one I had was a Bissell- I had the same problem with debris flying out when using the hand tools. I'll be steering clear of that one!

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I want a vacuum now that has a bag. I don't like emptying a bagless vac. It's disgusting!

message 10: by evie (last edited Jul 04, 2012 04:48AM) (new)

evie (ecie) | 3817 comments I have a bagless vac . When I had one with a bag, I could never find the correct sized bags anywhere!

I have to agree with you,emptying the bagless is revolting. Filthy.

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments It's surprising to me that the trend has been toward bagless for a long time, when it is so disgusting.

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb | 11267 comments Mod
I agree, LG.
I went out of my way to find a bagged vacuum when we needed a new one.
Not only are bagless gross and messy to empty, but they seem to always lose their suction.

message 13: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 3817 comments The filter gets clogged.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Not on my Dyson. No clogged filter, no loss of suction.

message 15: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I need a new vacuum, that's all.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24047 comments I wish that was all I needed.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Félix wrote: "I wish that was all I needed."

I hear ya Larry.

message 18: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I bought a new vacuum (I hadn't vacuumed for a month, I needed one stat). Now all I need is a new iPod, a new home, seasons one and three of Mad Men, and some other things.

Yes, I do need to clean more often. I also need to start cleaning the little corners you don't see, because I found a mummified mouse. Yay.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24047 comments You also seem to need a better cat.

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments This one?

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24047 comments No. This one.

message 22: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I vacuumed the second third of my living room carpet today. Then I had to stop because of the heat. So 2/3 of it looks really good.

message 23: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments janine wrote: "I also need to start cleaning the little corners you don't see, because I found a mummified mouse. Yay. "

Actually wrapped in linen?

message 24: by Barb (new)

Barb | 11267 comments Mod
janine wrote: "Yes, I do need to clean more often. I also need to start cleaning the little corners you don't see, because I found a mummified mouse. Yay."

I think you also need to change your locks if someone has been breaking in and embalming rodents for you. Creepy.

message 25: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "janine wrote: "I also need to start cleaning the little corners you don't see, because I found a mummified mouse. Yay. "

Actually wrapped in linen?"

I wish it was.

message 26: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Félix wrote: "You also seem to need a better cat."

Yes, but I need more space if I want one.

unread topics | mark unread