Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > email notifications not working?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) | 32 comments I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but for several weeks now I haven't been getting email notifications about (and links to) comments posted on reviews. So I don't know if someone's left a comment on one of my reviews, or on a review I've commented on, like a reply message - that's a lot of discussions I'm missing out on!

Before you mention it, yes I have gone to My Account to check the settings: I've verified my email address and made sure that the box for receiving email notifications is selected - I even tried un-selecting it then selecting it again, but nothing. And I know people have been leaving comments because I've come across them the long way. Help please?

Kathrynn | 506 comments Shannon,

I had this same problem in June.

Here's what I did that finally got the e-mails coming again:

1. Go to your profile page. Look to see of your email address needs to be "re-verified" and do that.

2. Click on change e-mail address (you are not going to change it, but have to click this to see the next option).

- If you have "blocked" in red letters, click on unblock and that should fix the problem.

I've had a few others contact me about this and they have had to do steps #1 and #2 several times to get the e-mails coming again.

Good luck to you.

Kathrynn | 506 comments And here's a thread that leads to another thread where this was talked about.

It appears that using a "feature" creates this problem.

What feature?

message 4: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4166 comments Mod
Email notifications are working. Do make sure your email is verified in your 'my account' area. If it is, you may want to change to a different email address to see if its your email provider blocking Goodreads mail.

Kathrynn | 506 comments Hey Otis,

The thing is, when I had this problem and hearing from others, we continue to receive the group digest updates and friend updates which all come from the same Goodreads e-mail.

It's the comments (book reviews and profile) that no longer show up with e-mail notifications.

If it was blocked by our ISP, wouldn't all be blocked?

I've had Goodreads marked as safe since I joined and when I had the problem, I started searching my quarantine folder and there was nothing there from Goodreads.

I had to re-verify my e-mail address after about 6 months, is that a normal re-verification? Then, I had the problem.

Hope that info can point you in the right direction. Love to get this resolved.

I wondered if someone reported abuse on me and that was the result?

(I cleaned out my friends folder prior to having the problem...)

(gulp)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) | 32 comments Thanks Kathrynn, I'll try that. That's what happened to me too, ever since I was asked to re-verify my email address I've only been getting group digests and friends' updates.

What does happen if you "report abuse", just out of curiosity?

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) | 32 comments Ok, yes, it was "blocked" and I had to unblock it. Does that happen automatically? Wow there's so much I don't know about how this site works!

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8277 comments I thought all we got now were 2 emails: digests of groups and friends' updates with books only. Goodreads took away other types of friends' updates ages ago. Am I off here?

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) | 32 comments Lisa, since unblocking my email at "My Accounts" 3 hours and 40 minutes ago, I've started getting comment notifications again. If you haven't been, that's probably why.

I guess if people don't want to receive them, they can block their email and cut down the amount of Goodreads emails they get - though personally, it's the other kind, the updates, that I don't bother reading!

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8277 comments Shannon, Oh, you're correct. I was thinking of the 2 digests. I am, in fact, getting comment notifications, and I really like receiving them. Thanks everybody for sharing what to do if these emails cease.

Wendy T | 59 comments For three days now, my e-mail verification is not working. I go in verify my e-mail address, get the e-mail to accept and then when I leave GR for any length of time, it will bounce back for me to verify my e-mail address again. So I have to verify my e-mail continues. Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? If so, is there a fix coming soon.

Kernos | 124 comments I have continuing problems. I get digests, but no comment notifications, and have not for some months. I have tried 3 different email addresses, going thru all of the suggested processes, re-done my notifications prefs, even changed all to digest, added the no-reply address, checked spam and quarantined mail boxes etc.

I still do not get comment notifications (which is a pain since I am on slow dial up).

I even created a new account which go thru the same ISPs and my host which works just fine.

Wendy T | 59 comments Kernos, I have been experiencing the same problem. Goodreads will not hold my e-mail address. I every day I have to several times verify my e-mail address. I was hoping that someone would of taken note of my problem, but no response yet for Goodreads team yet.

Amy | 12 comments I noticed about a month or two ago that I wasn't receiving updates for one group I belong to. I was receiving friend requests, the GR newsletter, comment updates for other groups I belong to, basically all notifications except for this one group. I still haven't been able to figure out why. I asked the other members if they were having the same issue and they all said no. I've checked my settings multiple times and my e-mail does not say blocked next to it. I'm out of ideas for why this is happening. Any suggestions?

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8277 comments Amy, I'd go into your membership section of that one group and look at your settings there. You might not be subscribed to receive the daily digest or some other form of email from them. Since it's just one group, that would be my first guess.

Amy | 12 comments Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the response. I've already messed with that a few times. I've tried changing the settings multiple times and nothing helps.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8277 comments Amy, Well then you've posted in the right folder. Hopefully a Goodreads staff employee member will be able to figure it out for you and help you.

Kathrynn | 506 comments I don't get email notifications for a group that I have set to get EVERYTHING that is posted, either. Worked with the settings and for whatever reason, that ONE group is a no go for me. Other's no problem, just that one.

message 19: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4166 comments Mod
Amy I see no rejected emails in the last 5 days for your email address. Not sure why you wouldn't be getting them.

Amy | 12 comments Just an update - I changed the setting for that group to Digest instead of Individually and now I receive the e-mails. I would prefer Individually but because that feature wasn't working I went with Digest. There still seems to be a bug there if one type of notification is working and not the other.

karen (karenbrissette) | 191 comments i keep getting bounced. i've reverified my address about five times, and made sure no-reply etc, is in my contact list, but i'm not sure how to see if i am blocked? i went to where it said "edit e-mail" ,and it didn't say anything about being blocked. any suggestions?

message 22: by Arch (last edited Dec 13, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

Arch I only receive Digest email from Goodreads. I was told that the problem was on my email provider side, but it's not and plus, all emails that comes from Goodreads share the same email address. If the problem was on my email provider side, then surely, no emails from Goodreads would reach my email box.

I gave up on verifying my email address on here. To me, it's a waste of time, because all emails will bounce, except for Digest email. Digest email is a collection of all recent topics discussion in the groups that you are on.

If you want to read new replies or threads, you will have to come to Goodreads and click on home to see all the new replies or threads or go to each group that you are on.

karen (karenbrissette) | 191 comments surely there's an easier solution. everything had been working fine - i had this problem once but it was solved once i added no-reply@mail.goodreads.com to my contact list. my friends are too damn chatty for that to be a viable option for me.

Arch karen wrote: "surely there's an easier solution. everything had been working fine - i had this problem once but it was solved once i added no-reply@mail.goodreads.com to my contact list. my friends are too damn ..."

That doesn't work Karen. I have added Goodreads to my contact list as well and it didn't solve anything.

karen (karenbrissette) | 191 comments actually, i am knocking on wood here, but it seems to have taken this time. shhh let's not disrupt it.

Arch karen wrote: "actually, i am knocking on wood here, but it seems to have taken this time. shhh let's not disrupt it."

Okay, I hope it doesn't bounce again.

message 27: by Beth (last edited Dec 15, 2009 08:22AM) (new)

Beth (beth_diiorio) | 10 comments I am experiencing the same as mentioned by a few people prior. I am asked to "re-verify" and yet, moments later, that same category tells me "your email has been marked as bounced..." I looked for a "change email" option, found "edit email." Did not see "blocked" or "unblock" as options. What should I try? P.S. I've not been receiving ANY GoodReads notifications, etc.

Arch Beth wrote: "I am experiencing the same as mentioned by a few people prior. I am asked to "re-verify" and yet, moments later, that same category tells me "your email has been marked as bounced..." I looked fo..."

I believe it doesn't matter what email provider a person is with, eventually, everyone will have this problem.

Barbara (BARBHH) | 170 comments I am also experiencing big lapses in my email notifications. It has worsened each day. I have checked in "my account"and I have sorted out lapsed discussions, have varied individual or digest responses. Also, my email info is correct.

mlady_rebecca | 2021 comments Arch wrote: "I believe it doesn't matter what email provider a person is with, eventually, everyone will have this problem."

Nope. Never had a problem in almost two years of being on Goodreads. I'd recommend my email service, but it's tied to a regional ISP.

message 31: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11207 comments Mod
I've never had a problem either.

jenjn79 (isisfg) | 521 comments I haven't bounced, either, in the 2 years I've been here. I use gmail and don't seem to have any problems. The only time I seem to not get emails is when GR is having a site-wide email issue and everyone is missing emails.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8277 comments I use gmail too and I don't know if that's part of the reason why but my email verified date is the original one/from within a few weeks after I'd joined, and from over 2 1/2 years ago. I do feel very lucky because I've read many posts from members who have had problems with bouncing emails or other difficulties getting Goodreads' emails.

Anna (lilfox) | 170 comments I get old notifications (from topics I'd read few days ago) along with new ones.

Barbara (BARBHH) | 170 comments It had been many days since I had received emails from GR. I thought that I had checked everything, but I just discovered that my email has been marked "as bounced". I clicked to reverify, but when I returned to the area a short time later, it had reverted. I hope that I have sorted it out now. Why is this happening?

Amy | 12 comments This is still an issue for me and other members of my book club. Also, I sent out a broadcast message to the group today that didn't go through, but goodreads won't let me send another one because I can only send 1 per day. Something is wrong with the messaging system on goodreads, it's not my e-mail provider.

Ariana (ar1anna) | 5 comments I am having the same problem with the "bounced" email.

I am tired of verifying my email all day long without any result.
I've been even changing my email to others but nothing changes. It works for a few minutes and then again I get the same error and no notification comes my way.

I do receive the email with the verification link and the notification that the email has been verified, so it's not that the provider is blocking the emails from "no-reply@..." it's just that my emails remain unverified no matter what I do.
Can't anyone solve this thing?

Anke | 314 comments Ari wrote: "I am having the same problem with the "bounced" email.

I am tired of verifying my email all day long without any result.
I've been even changing my email to others but nothing changes. It works ..."

Second this!

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2982 comments Better to start new threads rather than revive old ones - but know that this is being discussed currently. We're not getting any satisfaction, but GR is aware that some of us are very frustrated. I had to create a special Gmail account just for goodreads, as apparently my preferred service, Yahoo, is one that can be problematic. I had to re-verify the Gmail once, after one instance of bouncing, and now I seem to be getting almost everything. Sorry I don't have better news or suggestions.

Karen ~ Divhine (KarenJS) | 369 comments After two years of being a member of GR, I too had to recently change from AOL to Gmail just for Goodread e-mails. So far, so good.

message 41: by Ariana (last edited Aug 18, 2012 01:17AM) (new)

Ariana (ar1anna) | 5 comments I've used both yahoo and gmail, I've added the no-reply address to my contacts list, I've searched for the unblock link someone talked about but I only get a remove link on that page.. so I'm out of options here. I just hope that the Suport guys will take care of this as it seems to happen to a lot of people.

SueM (4tun8) | 37 comments I also have had to add a special Gmail account to receive my Goodreads notification emails after nearly 2 years of no problems with Yahoo. My Yahoo account suddenly seemed to bounce everything and verifying seemed to make no difference at all. Like Ari, I also had added the no-reply address but it had no effect whatsoever. While Gmail is currently working, it's a pain to deal with two separate email accounts, so I wish Yahoo was still functioning for me.

(Ambz) ~|*The Angelic Vampire*|~ (AmbzTheAngelicVampire) I am no longer recieving emails notifications for GR. It started a day or two ago, when I noticed my emails for GR wasn't coming to me, so I decided to check My Account. I went to Settings, and sure enough, it told me my email had been "Bounced". So I tried reverifying my email, and I got maybe 8 more GR emails, and then it stopped. I've been repeatedly reverifying my email adress, but just keeps stopping and saying it's bounced. I see no "Change Email", but I have noticed "Edit Email", and I go there yet see nothing mentioning my email adress being blocked.

SueM (4tun8) | 37 comments I think GR has changed the account set up since the start of this thread in 2008...

Ariana (ar1anna) | 5 comments @SueM : On Gmail you can forward your emails, so you can send them to your yahoo account.
And you are lucky, for me the gmail address didn't change a thing, as I still couldn't receive GR notifications via email.

Still, I got one email today, so I guess they are trying to solve the problem.

@Ambz~# I don't see anything about blocked emails on the edit page either.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8704 comments The problem isn't with GR. If you continue to have bouncing email, it is either your ISP or you have two email addresses on the GR profile.

Just  Read | 1 comments I am starting to think that the problem IS with GR.. when so many people have problems in the same time with not only yahoo, but also gmail and other providers as well (even emails hosted by them, on their private servers) AND some emails come through (like when you verify the email) it's not that difficult to see where the problem might be.. anyways, the support team on GR is working on this, so I hope that they will solve it soon.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8704 comments Where do you see the GR team is working on this? I think why so many have trouble just now is with Yahoo. They must have changed their filters recently. I have gmail, and there are no problems. However, I have my email settings to receive very few emails. Can't imagine why someone would even want a gazillion emails. If one needs that many notifications, why not just come to the site?

message 49: by Ariana (last edited Aug 20, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

Ariana (ar1anna) | 5 comments I prefer individual emails and not bulk on-site notifications for many personal reasons not to discuss here.
But I have a gmail address added now and still don't receive email notifications (and I know people that have no problem on yahoo, with all the 'gazillion emails' they receive too). . So I am not sure what is causing all this trouble.

(Ambz) ~|*The Angelic Vampire*|~ (AmbzTheAngelicVampire) Well, my parents don't let me make another email account, and in-site notifications don't always come up for me. And the roblem isn't for all Yahoo accounts, because my mom has had a GR account for quite awhile using her Yahoo email.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread