The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are The Gifts of Imperfection discussion

Which Brene Brown book to read first?

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan I loved her TED talk. If you've read this and "I Thought It Was Just Me," could you compare/contrast the two? Any suggestions re which to read first? Thanks!

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim I have not read both. My sense was that "I thought it was just me" was targeted at women, although it also probably covers her research on shame in more depth than Gifts of Imperfection. I may go back and read it later. She has a new book coming out, as well.

Yevette The gifts of imperfection is the only book that I have read by this author. It is a great read.

Becky On Twitter, Brene recommends reading in this order:

1. Gifts of Imperfection 2. Daring Greatly 3. I Thought It Was Just Me

Hope that helps some!

Christy I thought that The Gifts of Imperfection would have been better or more understandable after I Thought It Was Just Me.
I have not yet read Daring Greatly.

I do think I would have liked Brene Brown's recommendation on the order to read though! I wondered what would be best.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Becky wrote: "On Twitter, Brene recommends reading in this order:

1. Gifts of Imperfection 2. Daring Greatly 3. I Thought It Was Just Me

Hope that helps some!"

Yes, this helps! I was just wondering which one to read first. Thanks! :)

Syamim I just read 'Gifts of Imperfection'. Looking forward to read 'Daring Greatly', especially after watching the Oprah show here http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul-s....

Lisa Lieberman-wang The Gifts of Imperfection was suggested to me by my business coach.

Amie I recommend reading them all. Some repetition is actually key to really learning the concepts so they can be applied. It is the application that hold the power! I'm sure we all know that. Brene inspires us to have the courage to face reality, get honest and live "wholehearted" lives.

message 10: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Lynn Thanks!!

Faith Amie wrote: "I recommend reading them all. Some repetition is actually key to really learning the concepts so they can be applied. It is the application that hold the power! I'm sure we all know that. Brene ins..."

I totally agree with your comment. I look forward to reading her other books after reading "Gifts of Imperfection" I feel that this is the only way I will really take all of that she says into my life.

message 12: by Maria (last edited Feb 24, 2014 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Ciletti I've read both books and liked The Gifts of Imperfection, the best.

Andrea Definitely the Gifts of Imperfection first!

message 14: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret For me, it takes seeing Brene Brown's presentations more than once to truly incorporate her message into my heart and mind. I've purchased the first 2 books, but have only read part of the The Gifts of Imperfection so far. Meanwhile, I enrolled in Parts 1 and 2 of her ecourse. Part 1 is finished ... Part 2 starts in early April. Again, she really opens up some powerful ideas. I've watched Super Soul Sunday multiple times, as well as searching YouTube for other presentations she has done. This "saturation" on my part has really enabled me to absorb these concepts. I've already used the permission slip idea ... how liberating!

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Redford I just finished The Gifts of Imperfection. Missed her talks on TED. Wished I had discovered her earlier. Now will search for her on YouTube.

message 16: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Part 2 of her eCourse on the Gifts of Imperfection has concluded. I believe that it is being offered a 2nd time, as The Gifts of Imperfection was. Each part had 6 weekly lessons, as well as 3 extra weeks to catch up. I'm still not caught up, as there is so much. As with anything, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. She is writing a new book, but there are many Daring Greatly quotes coming through my FB News Feed, which leads me to believe that the next eCourse will be that one. Thus far, eCourse access has been via Oprah.com

message 17: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Redford Thanks for the insight and info.

Faith Thanks so much, I will look for her ecourses. That's such good info.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are (other topics)