Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do You Think Scared Straight Works?

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I watched most of "Beyond Scared Straight" on TV last night (I think it was A&E but I don't remember). It was a bunch of teenaged girls who were in trouble for fighting and stealing and drugs, etc, put into a women's prison for a reality check.

Yeah, those women were scary. Many of them were murderers. One of them was the other of one of the teens.

If your kid was running amok, would you send her/him to Scared Straight?

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yes. i think that is real life consequences. not some cool thug juvy ****

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i think it is more about consequences than simply motivation. this program seems for those who have not responded to mentoring or instruction. like a "you are currently here and if you continue down this path this is exactly where you will be in the near future"

message 4: by Carol (last edited May 06, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Carol | 1633 comments I don't know much about the programs, but I can see how it could work in some cases. Rather than hitting bottom themselves, they would have a really good look at what's in their future if they stay on the path they're on. It depends on the scaree.

ms.petra (mspetra) | 3227 comments I have a customer who works with a Wilderness program. It is a last resort for some of these troubled youth and he says it turns their lives around. I say, whatever works. Sometimes it takes being totally removed from all the peer pressure and the temptations, and really finding out that you can do whatever you set your mind on. I love Outward Bound and all these programs that teach people to become confident and self reliant.

Mary I think it depends.
It might work with some who are conflicted about where they are and deep down are open to hearing the message.
I agree with Bun in that you can't just expect someone to change without replacing the behavior/motivation whatever with something else.
As far as substance abuse goes-they always say when trying to quit the booze or substances-it needs to be replaced with a more positive or healthy choice.
The other thing I think of is that intervention needs to be followed up with ongoing support. Otherwise the person just falls back into old patterns.

unread topics | mark unread