The History Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-10)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29372 comments Have to say that that was a great story; not being familiar with Mr. Wooden, when the request came in to open up the thread, I opened it with the spelling I was given. Sorry that this was an error and obviously after your post; one of the assisting moderators fixed the error. Thank you for pointing this out to me and to the group.

Bentley

message 9: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5421 comments Great story Craig, thanks for sharing. An encounter with a legend you surely cherish!

(p.s. - the thread title has been corrected.)

message 8: by Craig (new)

Craig (Twinstuff) Is there any way to edit the subject of this forum to correct his name being misspelled?

I haven't read the books listed here, but want to offer a personal vignette I had in encountering the Wizard of Westwood. I went to UCLA and was actually one of the first employees of the new student rec center that was built when I was an undergrad, the John Wooden Center. This was back in 1983 when he had been retired for almost a decade (he passed away last year just months shy of turning 100).

Anyway, I think he came to the campus twice when I was working and both times he entered the building named for him. Well we were having an event in one side of the building one day (a dedication ceremony) and it was being held in the basketball gym part of the facility which we had blocked off from the rest of the building (workout rooms, racquetball courts, etc.) He entered the main part of the facility where several of us students were checking ID's of other students who were working out while the dedication ceremony was taking place in the gym.

My twin brother, who was also working at the same time, went out to ask if he could help Mr. Wooden and he said he was there for the ceremony. We had to tell him that the building was blocked off and he needed to use a separate entry to get into the basketball gym. He was so apologetic and said he didn't want anyone to go to the trouble of showing him where the other entrance was, but my brother and I made sure we brought him to the right place. We weren't going to miss the opportunity of talking to the greatest coach in basketball history!

message 7: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5421 comments Another book by the legendary coach:

My Personal Best   Life Lessons from an All-American Journey by John Wooden by John WoodenJohn Wooden
For John Wooden's millions of fans--a heartfelt and revealing self-portrait about the people and events that shaped his life

Sports Illustrated declared: "There has never been a finer coach in American sports than John Wooden. Nor a finer man." ESPN selected him as the "Greatest Coach of the 20th Century." From his birth on an Indiana tenant farm, to All-American honors at Purdue, to his historic record-setting UCLA dynasty, John Wooden is a towering figure in 20th-century sports, and his experience and wisdom an American treasure. In My Personal Best, Coach Wooden tells how he did it and the lessons he learned on his remarkable journey.

Pairing never-before-seen photos from Coach Wooden's private collection with his personal stories and affirmations, this book encompasses the dramatic arc of Wooden's larger-than-life achievements and experiences. As he did in his perpetual bestseller Wooden, Coach offers a wealth of biographical details, personal reflections, and a lifetime of lessons. His millions of fans will cherish this definitive pictorial history of a living sports legend.

"John Wooden is a living legend because he practiced what he preached--the code of ethics which created America's strength."
--Phil Jackson, head coach, Los Angeles Lakers

"Most of what I know, what's made me a smart man, has come from John Wooden."
--Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer

"A man of John Wooden's accomplishments and integrity would stand out in any era, but now, almost three decades after he coached his last game, he is in some ways an even more striking figure."
--Bob Costas

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29372 comments Did you see my PM

message 5: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5421 comments Thanks. I will add more and am sure others will as well. Great add Bryan.

message 4: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (last edited May 05, 2011 09:28AM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11560 comments He is a legend, indeed.

Here is:
Wooden  A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court by John Wooden John WoodenJohn Wooden

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29372 comments Thank you Alisa for that add. This thread was for you (smile)

message 2: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5421 comments John Wooden is considered one perhaps the greatest basketball coach of all time. He was deeply admired for his ability to develop winning talent and his philosophies about coaching in general. On my to-read shelf, but have heard great things about this book.

From the legendary basketball coach who inspired generations of athletes and businesspeople, an inspiring book about the power of mentoring and being mentored.
After eight books, many of them bestsellers, A Game Plan for Life is the one closest to John Wooden’s heart: a moving and inspirational guide to the power of mentorship. The first half focuses on the people who help...moreFrom the legendary basketball coach who inspired generations of athletes and businesspeople, an inspiring book about the power of mentoring and being mentored.

A Game Plan for Life  The Power of Mentoring by John Wooden by John WoodenJohn Wooden

After eight books, many of them bestsellers, A Game Plan for Life is the one closest to John Wooden’s heart: a moving and inspirational guide to the power of mentorship. The first half focuses on the people who helped foster the values that carried Wooden through an incredibly successful and famously principled career, including his college coach, his wife, Abraham Lincoln, and Mother Teresa. The second half is built around interviews with some of the many people he mentored over the years, including Kareem Abdul- Jabbar, Bill Walton, fellow coaches, family members, and even a middle school coach in Canada. Their testimony takes readers inside the lessons Wooden taught to generations of players, bringing out the very best in them not just as athletes but as human beings. In all, it’s an inspiring primer on how to achieve success without sacrificing principles, and on how to build one of the most productive and rewarding relationships available to any athlete, businessperson, teacher, or parent: that of mentor and protégé.

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 02, 2012 08:47AM) (new)

Bentley | 29372 comments This is a thread to discuss John Wooden.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring (other topics)
Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court (other topics)
My Personal Best: Life Lessons from an All-American Journey (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Wooden (other topics)