History, Medicine, and Science: Nonfiction and Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club > Sept-Oct-Nov Book Nominations

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Tucker (holly_tucker) | 120 comments Mod
Please add your ideas here. We'll get the vote out in July and dive in starting September!

message 2: by Holly (new)

Medieval Travel literature:

The Travels of Sir John Mandeville

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Toler (pdtoler) | 84 comments Mod
As a counterpoint to Mandeville: The Travels of Ibn Battutah

message 4: by Holly (new)

Don't know Ibn Battutah--but putting Western and Eastern travel narratives together could make for a fascinating discussion!

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Holly wrote: "Don't know Ibn Battutah--but putting Western and Eastern travel narratives together could make for a fascinating discussion!"

That's what I thought. :)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (genegeek) | 4 comments The travel narratives sound fantastic!

Alternate suggestion: Oryx & Crake/Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. We can set up nightmares for Holly again :)

message 7: by Holly (new)

I wouldn't mind re-reading it, actually. I seriously repressed so much of it that it'll all feel brand-new. :)

message 8: by Yvonne (last edited May 08, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Yvonne (CentralCaliGrrrl) | 115 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate How to Mellify a Corpse by Vicki León.
It's a quick read, written in a short, somewhat abbreviated manner, so it's a little bit different than other books we have on our shelves. But it's very entertaining and fun.
I also love Vicki's Uppity Women series!

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise Just finished reading Moloka'iwhich got me thinking that the topic of Hansen's disease and its treatments might make for an interesting read for this group. I have just added several titles to my reading list but have no solid suggestions for the group. Wanted to share the thought for now or later.

message 10: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments denise--there is a book that is old -written in the 1930's called An American Doctors Odyssey by Victor Heiser MD--he was a public health doctor working in the orient--there are discriptions of leprosy(hansen's disease) chapters on bubonic plague,small pox,elephantiasis,cholera,typhoid,TB,. etc. this doctor was a survivor of the Johnstown flood--it's in interesting look at the diseases of early times--some of which we still have to day--you might have trouble finding a copy but you can try.

message 11: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments Holly wrote: "Please add your ideas here. We'll get the vote out in July and dive in starting September!"

message 12: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments holly--picked up your book yesterday and read a few pages--it is a good one so far. i'll wait to read it until it is time.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise Bunnie wrote: "denise--there is a book that is old -written in the 1930's called An American Doctors Odyssey by Victor Heiser MD--he was a public health doctor working in the orient--there are discriptions of lep..."

Thank you. I'll check it out

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments I bet that would be fascinating to read.

message 15: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol,
yes i found it a fascinating book full of descriptions of the diseases that Dr Heiser had to deal with--some of which we still have today--another interesting book to read is The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough--Dr Heiser was a survivor of this flood-which took place in 1889.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments I want to read that too. Gee, I want to read more books than possible in a lifetime!

message 17: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol,
ME TOO--NOT ENOUGH TIME

message 18: by Holly (new)

Bunnie wrote: "holly--picked up your book yesterday and read a few pages--it is a good one so far. i'll wait to read it until it is time."

Hi Bunnie. Thanks for the nice words on the book! Finishing up a trip to Richmond-DC-Baltimore for talks. Really looking forward to settling in and diving into this month's reading group (I'm moderating EMPEROR OF MALADIES) All best! Holly

message 19: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments holly--i am still waiting for the book to arrive

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments I just picked up the book from the library and it is fascinating. Have to read another book to do a review quick so I may be bouncing back and forth!

message 21: by Pamela (new)

I want to add this one to the list while it's on my mind: The Clockwork Universe: Isaac Newton, the Royal Society, and the Birth of the Modern World

message 22: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments everyone--i must be the slowest reader of all --i am still reading the Emperor--but i have already read Ghost Map.

message 23: by Marigny777 (new)

Marigny777 (maringy777) | 8 comments Brush with Death: A Social History of Lead Poisoning
Christian Warren

The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth. Matthew Algeo

Not of Woman Born: Representations of Caesarean Birth in Medieval and Renaissance Culture
Renate Blumenfeld-Kosinski

The Fluoride Deception
Christopher Bryson

Rough Medicine: Surgeons at Sea in the Age of Sail
Joan Druett

Ether Day: The Strange Tale of America's Greatest Medical Discovery and the Haunted Men Who Made It
Julie M. Fenster

Medicine Under Sail
Zachary Friedenberg

Anthrax: The Investigation of a Deadly Outbreak
Jeanne Guillemin

Spores, Plagues and History: The Story of Anthrax
Chris Holmes

Acres of Skin: Human Experiments at Holmesburg Prison
Allen M. Hornblum

Human Remains: Dissection and Its Histories
Helen MacDonald

Great and Desperate Cures: The Rise and Decline of Psychosurgery and Other Radical Treatments for Mental Illness
Elliot S. Valenstein

Bad Blood: The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment
James H. Jones

message 24: by Holly (new)

Wow--this is a fantastic list. We'll add the titles to our library!

message 25: by Marigny777 (new)

Marigny777 (maringy777) | 8 comments Thanks, I picked up a couple of the signed copies of Blood Work last weekend at the Seminary CoOp here in Chicago, one to read and one for the collection. I can't wait to begin anxiously turning those pages.

message 26: by Holly (new)

I -love- the Seminary Co-op. And have some fond memories signing those books for them. So glad to hear you picked them up! :) They'll be in great company on your shelves. So interested in knowing more about your background and what other things you like to read. Sounds like we have a lot in common!

message 27: by Joe (new)

Joe | 12 comments Passionate Minds: Emilie du Chatelet, Voltaire, and the Great Love Affair of the Enlightenment
This is the same author who wrote E=MC2 which was the basis of the History Channel program Einstein. In both, Emily du Chalet is acknowledged as the Brilliant scientist who heavily influenced Voltaire and wrote major scientific treaties. Her understanding of Newton helped to formulate the "C squared" for Einstein. And her love life, well, that is also part of her story. I just started the book and believe that Emily is a worthy person to discuss. I imagine that there are modern issues that haven't changed.

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Joe wrote: "Passionate Minds: Emilie du Chatelet, Voltaire, and the Great Love Affair of the Enlightenment
This is the same author who wrote E=MC2 which was the basis of the History Channel progr..."

This sounds fascinating.

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Marigny777 wrote: "Thanks, I picked up a couple of the signed copies of Blood Work last weekend at the Seminary CoOp here in Chicago, one to read and one for the collection. I can't wait to begin anxiously turning t..."

The Seminary Coop is my hometown bookstore!

message 30: by Pamela (new)

Deborah Blum, author of The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York, recommends five books on science and society today on The Browser: http://thebrowser.com/interviews/debo...

message 31: by Marigny777 (new)

Marigny777 (maringy777) | 8 comments a veritable paris catacomb of books. o'gara and wilson and bookman's alley tend to be more frequent haunts for my local collecting, but i would have to say coop wins out for books that i actually will open and consume. such an inspiring concentration of scholarly efforts.

message 32: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments Joe wrote: "Passionate Minds: Emilie du Chatelet, Voltaire, and the Great Love Affair of the Enlightenment
This is the same author who wrote E=MC2 which was the basis of the History Channel progr..."

message 33: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments joe-i have read the book by David Bodanis--E=MC2 --i finally figured out what it means--Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared--that is as far as i get--i still haven't figured what the speed of light has to do with it-a chemist friend said that is a constant but i still don't understand-can you give me a better explantion?

message 34: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 18 comments Becoming Batman: The Possibility of a Superhero by E. Paul Zehr (He spoke at the convention I was at last week. This looks at the exercise physiology required to be Batman, it's a fun way too look at the subject)

The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases

message 35: by Joe (new)

Joe | 12 comments Bunnie wrote: "joe-i have read the book by David Bodanis--E=MC2 --i finally figured out what it means--Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared--that is as far as i get--i still haven't figured what th..."
Hi Bunny -- I wonder of the TV program on Einstein might help -- it shows visually how it all connects. I'm more of a visual learner and I don't know how to really explain it. The TV program (History Channel?) Program Einstein -- a visual explananation for hard to grasp concepts. Good Luck

message 36: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments Joe wrote: "Bunnie wrote: "joe-i have read the book by David Bodanis--E=MC2 --i finally figured out what it means--Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared--that is as far as i get--i still haven't ..."

message 37: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments joe--i too am a visual learner so yeah i will try to find the program --i read about this topic every once in awhile and each time i learn a little more-it's sometimes hard to get your mind around--i watched a program on multiverses with Brian Greene a physicist who teaches math and physics at columbia--this is also hard to think about but i am willing to listen to ideas. there was a time when people didn't know that there existed extremely small unseen things like GERMS that could cause disease. how hard is that to imagine if living in past ages?

message 39: by itpdx (new)

itpdx | 23 comments I have had The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balancesitting on my bookshelf, unread for a long time. Does anyone think it would work? Is it out-dated (published 1994)?

message 40: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments itpdx--no work is completely outdated--it's interesting to see the things written by earlier people--we can learn things sometimes by consulting older works--maybe an idea will pop into the mind because of something written earlier. i read old books all the time.

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments I like the Coming Plague in the above post.
Also:
1. Man and Microbes: Disease and Plagues in History and Modern Times by Arno Karlen

2. The Tell-Tale Brain by V. S. Ramachandran

3. The Invention of Air by Steven Johnson

4. Wicked Plants: The Plants that Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart.

5. Blood and Guts, the History of Surgey by Richard Hollingham

I am favoring # 4.

message 42: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol--good i have the book and have already read it.
maybe for the next one we can read blood and guts, the history of surgery.

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments Bunnie,I don't have any of them. Saw a video promo for it and loved it.

message 44: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol, you'll love the book about plants--if you take Discover magazine-- in the april 99 issue is an article called Runaway heart--this is about the plant jimson weed(found on page 67 of wicked plants)
for some reason some kids like to smoke the seeds for the jimson weed plant resulting in a serious state called anticholinergic overdose- symptoms are:red as a beet,blind as a bat,dry as a bone,mad as a hatter,hotter than hell--and seizures--treatment phyostigmine--i love this article --that's why i still have it--i love vital signs in the discover magazine--you might get it from the library.

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments I don't take that magazine but the article sounds fascinating. I'll look for it.

Thank you

message 46: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol, if you really want it i could copy it and send it to you--give me your address and i will.

message 47: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol--if you really don't want to share you address i won't be offended

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments Hi Bunnie,
That's OK, I just didn't want to make extra work for you. What I did check up Jimson Weed on web and I found this video, horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12SZA...

message 49: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara | 210 comments carol--wow i just looked at it--this stuff grows wild beside the roads in southern calif. kids will try anything i guess and we need to warn them so this video is a great way to do just that. thanks carol.

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 35 comments You're welcome. It is really awful, I saw some yesterday and didn't know what it was.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

History, Medicine, and Science: Nonfiction and...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Travels of Sir John Mandeville (other topics)
The Travels of Ibn Battutah (other topics)
How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition (other topics)
Moloka'i (other topics)
The Clockwork Universe: Isaac Newton, the Royal Society, and the Birth of the Modern World (other topics)
More...