Wings (Wings, #1) Wings discussion


426 views
Worst book ever.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 116) (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Redapple (new)

Redapple This is possibly the worst book ever. And I've read quite a few unrealistic, crappy books. The main character is a textbook definition of a Mary Sue. She's perfect, has perfect skin; 'acne has never touched her beautiful face.' Give me a break.

When she moves to the new school, immediately boys flock to her. Just once I'd like to read a YA nonfiction where a new girl at school has to actually WORK to make friends. AND THEN! When people wan't to be her friend; she's all "I just wan't to be alone, why don't they understand. Bitch, bitch, bitch."

She's moody, socially awkward, constantly bitching about EVERYTHING possible in life, and yet for some reason the brain dead supporting characters go gaga over the fact of befriending her. This book was worse than twilight.


message 2: by Is (new) - rated it 5 stars

Is Redapple wrote: "This is possibly the worst book ever. And I've read quite a few unrealistic, crappy books. The main character is a textbook definition of a Mary Sue. She's perfect, has perfect skin; 'acne has neve..."


Wow, that is by far the most rudest comment ever.
There is a reason she's perfect the author explain it is because of the fact she is a farie. On that note, there is tons of YA books that the girl is always the outcast and the new girl that always befriends the outcasts and barely has friends.Laurel, She has never had friends therefore she's shy at first.There is some people who like to be left alone, as surprising as that is it is true. I don't mean to sound rude or bitchy but I personally like the series and if you have nothing good to say, stay quiet.


Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) I cannot really agree with the original poster. It almost feels as though the the original poster didn't even really read the book.

1) the reason shes "perfect" is because shes a fairy, that is how fairies are...in any fairy book you read.
2) shes socially awkward because shes different...even though she doesn't know how in the beginning...i.e. shes a fairy and not human.

I don't think that this was the greatest YA book ever written, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I have definately come across YA books that subscribe to the stereotypes described by the original poster much more than this one did.

Also...you stated you wanted to read a "YA nonfiction"...you do realize that Wings is a paranormal fantasy fiction right?


Chandra Not the worst book ever. This is the first book that I read after reading Twilight 16 times (I was hungry and thirsty). This book was suggested to me by a Barnes and Noble pro. Tee hee hee....she did not tell me there was such a thing as ADULT ROMANCE books. Soooo....I got into Wings. Could not wait to read Spells. And looking forward to reading book three. I'm not really a YA person....anymore that is....but I enjoyed "Wings"


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved this book and the take on fairies. I love fairies and I think Pike did an excellent job on brining them to life.


Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) Yes, I thought that this book was a very clever take on what fairies are!


Stormy I thought this book was okay but I enjoyed the second one a lot more. I can't wait to read the 3rd and it just came out today, well technically yesterday for me.


J.F. Sanborn This was a delightful and enjoyable read! A unique take on faerie-lore that kept me engaged. I recommend it highly for young people who enjoy a good romantic faerie-tale.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

O.o Now why do you have twilight as best book ever an Wings as worst book ever? Have you even read them?


Darci Stephanie wrote: "Yes, I thought that this book was a very clever take on what fairies are!"

Although it doesnt follow their folklore at all... Holly Black is the closest thing that I've found of stories based off of the original folklore. And in her stories, the characters are far less than perfect. A lot of the time they are actually drug addicts it seems or come from broken homes where they are less than pretty. This is because in the original folklore, faeries are actually pretty ugly. I still liked Wings though.


Faith Why did you say you wanted to read a YA nonfiction? That would be a book about frogs... not about fairies. Get it right, people.


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha ha your right faith why would you read this if you wanted non fiction? I mean, really people its named Wings. What did you expect,a bio on bird wings?


Roseanne She obviously didn't read the whole book...


Roseanne and nonfiction is non-MADEUP@#$T -- Twilight and Wings are FICTION!


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

People who rate a book bad if they haven't read are judgmental jerks.


message 16: by Roseanne (last edited Jun 07, 2011 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roseanne I find people's negative reviews of books I love comical. Everyone's got their own views and "things" and such. It's cool to see the book in someone else's eyes ... especially people who don't like the majority of the concept of a PHENOMENAL story (according to me :) haha...).
This of course is if and when they've actually read the thing... and not just FLAMING it without cracking it open at all...


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

this book is not the worst book


Savannah Physically, Laurel may be perfect, but no moreso than any other faerie. She makes plenty of mistakes later on, especially in Spells. It's a very flawed series, but far from the worst ever.


Natalie Rochester I thought it was good. not great just good. i liked that it went away from the traditional idea of what faries are and liked the new idea because it was interesting. the reason she is so pretty is because she is made from square cells and she doesn't want to be left alone she's just shy and is not used to heaps of attention. i think anyone who hated this book, must have been jealous of the main character. and if you hated it so much why would you write something like that on here when everyone else clearly likes it and will tellyou that you're wrong.


Amber. Vampire Queen. I liked the book it was good


Wendalyn Hoff I loved this book and I thought the whole series was good. It's very cute and I just love Tam. I think it's based on "Fiction" for a reason. It's no more or no less realistic than any other paranormal book as we obviously know there are no vampires, werewolfs or anything else like that. By the ratings this book got I think majority feel the same way I do. Sure there are books that people don't agree one same with movies but I normally keep those opinions to myself and rate it by how I like it.


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Wendalyn wrote: "I loved this book and I thought the whole series was good. It's very cute and I just love Tam. I think it's based on "Fiction" for a reason. It's no more or no less realistic than any other paranor..."

Theres no such thing as vampires? :D Aww man why didn't someone tell me that before i started eating garlic on my pizza? Lol jk


message 23: by Elme (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elme Johnson Wings is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. She's a fairy! Fairy's are PERFECT. Check any fairytale story! Wings are a AMAZING book!


Guitar Chick I wouldn't say this was the worst book ever, but it was pretty horrible. But you don't have to come to the discussion page for the fans and bitch about it. Get over yourself


Aspen Scafa Redapple wrote: "This is possibly the worst book ever. And I've read quite a few unrealistic, crappy books. The main character is a textbook definition of a Mary Sue. She's perfect, has perfect skin; 'acne has neve..."

man, what's witht the tude? it wasnt a bad book and everybody has differnet tasts. and in my oppinion, it was GREAT


message 26: by Gackelchen (new) - added it

Gackelchen Well, they are easy caracters thats true...
Storyline is also not the best.
I also didn t liked that she is this beautiful and wished for one book where the main caracter would be ugly or normal looking.

BUT, you have to remember this book was intented for teens between ages of 12-14.
So I was not expecting much.
I liked this book so much because of it s simplicity. It s relaxing, enjoyable on short time.


Absolutly not the worst book ever.
But then again, its a question of taste.


Alison The person who started this thread doesn't seem to have anything else to say.... lol

Anyway, my opinion - I didn't hate it, didn't love it. It was what it was, a lighthearted faery book and I enjoyed it for that.

I would never start a thread about a book I didn't like and immediately start 'slagging' it off and saying insulting hurtful things about it. That's just down right rude. If you don't like it, don't say nothing at all...!


Becky I loved the book. It was well written and had really depth.

The reason she had perfect skin and perfect features was because she was a fairie.
I thought this was an amazing book!


Amber. Vampire Queen. Same, I love fairies


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

i dint finnish


Carla I adored this series. I found an originality and epherial tone to Pike's writing that enchanted me. Everyone is allowed an opinion, I hope it wasn't a rush to judgement. Enjoy the journey each page takes you further upon.


Ashley I didn't care for the book overly much, but it's definitely not the worst book ever!


Sandra "Jeanz" I actually enjoyed the series of books and so did my daughter whose age group ie teens is who the book is actually aimed for.


Louise i like the series so far


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

if you read all 8 you will really want the 9th


Courtney i liked the book...stop hatin!!!!!!!!!!


Anastacia Love I Liked this book, okay sure it was a little sappy but come on thats what books are all abo=out. Reading something that you can take your mind into AND FORGET ABOUT REALITY FOR A LITTLE.


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

you guyes are all wrong the book was d' bomb


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah thank u for agreeing


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

i loved it i am reading the third one


message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

cool


Chisom i loved wings and i just finished it yesterday. I thought the characters were wonderful and the whole aspect of the book made sense. It was a great book and can't wait 2 read the second or third one. Please actually read the book before u start to hate on it. Really! :D so after saying that... TEAM TAMANI! lol i geuss others have finished the series and knows who she ends up with, but i'm still clueless though i love David 2


message 43: by Kimi (last edited Jul 24, 2011 11:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kimi I've read a lot of books and I definitely didn't think this was the worst. I didn't care for this take on Faeries but overall I think the series is okay. I absolutely did not like Lauren Kate's Torment very much! There were quite a few things about it that I hated or disliked.


message 44: by Arburtha (new) - added it

Arburtha I started reading the first book Wings because it was free...boy was that ever a hook. I read the entire series in about 2 weeks. I was very dissappointed in the ending?? What the H@#l happened? All I know is that they are all standing around the new Winter Faerie wondering what is going on!! Well that makes two of us!! Is there a movie? I did'nt know that!!


message 45: by Arburtha (new) - added it

Arburtha Luluazul wrote: "i like the series so far"

♥Courtney♥ wrote: "i liked the book...stop hatin!!!!!!!!!!"

So there are 8 books in he series..I guess I had better up date my NookColor portfolio ASAP!!


Alison There are 4 books. Not 8. The fourth one is out next spring but doesn't have a name yet


Chisom oh so there is more than 3 books. i guess that's very good since i just loved the first book


message 48: by Laura (new) - rated it 1 star

Laura I. Hate. This. Book.
Why are there so many people who like it? The main character is just a lazy stupid ignorant girl who gets everything and still dosent appreciate everything. She moans and complains about everything and I seriously wanted to punch something when I was reading this. Ridiculous!


message 49: by Arburtha (new) - added it

Arburtha Alison wrote: "There are 4 books. Not 8. The fourth one is out next spring but doesn't have a name yet"
Oh My Bad!! I'm into reading series, sorry for the mix up! Yes I read a little of the fourth books spoiller it seems it picks up right where the last book left off and the entire plot is finished within the time frame of like an hour and a half?!?!


Rachelle I love this book/series. I definitely get annoyed at Laurel all the time, but I still like the books! And I'm also TEAM TAMANI! haha :)


« previous 1 3
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Wings (other topics)