Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > The Horror of the Shade

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments I ran for city council once. Writing a book is very much like that in that you have to divulge everything you are and much of what you know, and you have to get people to like you, based on tiny snippets. And then you are judged.
In politics, you paint a target on yourself and ask people to throw mud. The first question you have to answer and answer correctly is: Why do you want to run for office? You end up asking yourself that question every day, usually washing down the answer with aspirin. Some days the answer was, "I must be a masochist."
I feel like that again, putting my book out to what is essentially a group of professional readers makes my stomach do little summersaults.

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
lol I'm sure everyone will take it easy on you! :)

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 161 comments I do not have Kindle, and so will not be reading this book. I will probably peek in on the discussion, though.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Hello Mawgojzeta,
Many people sit at a computer all day at work and don't want to come home and read off of one, but if you don't fall into that category, all the kindle books can be downloaded onto your computer. There is an app for it- Kindle for PC. Kindle books are so much cheaper when it comes to indie authors. Just a suggestion for the future.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

Mawgojzeta wrote: "I do not have Kindle, and so will not be reading this book. I will probably peek in on the discussion, though."

You can also use a converter, to convert it to a format that you are able to read on a different ereader or your PC

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments Joy, I don't think you can convert it if it has DRM, can you?

message 7: by J.D. (new)

Patricia wrote: "Joy, I don't think you can convert it if it has DRM, can you?"

I haven't encountered any problems with converting ebooks. Sometimes I can only find an ebook in a format that I cannot read on my ereader so I convert them.

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments To think I was worried about you guys finding out which chapter I wrote drunk in a bar one night. The posts sound like a tech support forum for kindle!

message 9: by J.D. (new)

Peter wrote: "To think I was worried about you guys finding out which chapter I wrote drunk in a bar one night. The posts sound like a tech support forum for kindle!"

lol I'm just letting people know that they can still get your book even if they don't have a Kindle, because they can convert them. lol Although, I kind of agree! Okay, which chapter did you write while drunk? hehehe

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Chapter 8 Gayle and the Demon
The next day when I went to type it up, it took me twice as long as it normaly would have. My penmenship hasn't improved since the second grade and it turns out that even though whiskey sours may make me a better dancer, they don't do much for my handwriting.

message 11: by J.D. (new)

Peter wrote: "Chapter 8 Gayle and the Demon
The next day when I went to type it up, it took me twice as long as it normaly would have. My penmenship hasn't improved since the second grade and it turns out that ..."

lol Okay, your comment just reminded me of this weeks episode on How I met your mother! lol It was all about how different types of alcoholic drinks bring out different sides to each person. For example: One of them thought a certain type of alcohol made him awesome at B-boxing, but it turned out it only made him sound better to himself. lol

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Yeah but I have video proof...except I was holding the recorder at the time so the picture is a little jumbled ans bounces around. But trust me, once it fell out of my hands and I kicked it across the floor, I was good.

message 13: by J.D. (new)

Peter wrote: "Yeah but I have video proof...except I was holding the recorder at the time so the picture is a little jumbled ans bounces around. But trust me, once it fell out of my hands and I kicked it across ..."

Oh, okay. lol

message 14: by Leah (new)

Leah (Misha-one) | 4 comments I didn't read this one, but I read your other one, which i liked. My sister has read this one and she liked it, but lent it out already.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Hi Leah,
Thank you for taking the time to write. I'm guessing you are referring to The Haunting at Red Feathers. I'm very glad you liked it. Did you have a favorite story?
Peter

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments I'm reading this book now, I'm 20% in, so far so good. I think it's fun to read a book written by someone who posts here with us!

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Hello Patricia,
Thanks for giving it a read. By the way you can skip that 21st percent, it's just filler, but the 22nd is where it gets really good.
PS I post for my own enjoyment. So if something seems strange, it's just me telling jokes to myself...clearly, I need a bigger cage.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments Good to hear, Peter. I'm at 26% now, so I'm really getting into it.

message 19: by J.D. (new)

Patricia wrote: "Good to hear, Peter. I'm at 26% now, so I'm really getting into it."

Peter wrote: "Hello Patricia,
Thanks for giving it a read. By the way you can skip that 21st percent, it's just filler, but the 22nd is where it gets really good.
PS I post for my own enjoyment. So if somethin..."

lol Make sure you give him a review! :)

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments I'll definitely give a review. I usually do on my Goodreads books.

message 21: by J.D. (new)

Patricia wrote: "I'll definitely give a review. I usually do on my Goodreads books."

I was just teasing. It is 100% up to you if you give a review. ;) I used to review a lot of books that I read, but I gave up. There were just too many! lol

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments A lot of times I like to write just a little something, sometimes I have to look back and remind myself what I thought about the book!

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3 comments I read this book. And I even wrote a review for it here, which is something I am only just getting into. There was more to this book than I first thought, especially near the end. He goes into quite a bit about the nature of heaven, which I liked, but there is one part that I had a question on. The character Adrina asks, "are you homosexual? It would be worse if you are." I didn't get that.

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments This part of the book explores the possibility that heaven is voluntary. That the only thing that keeps a person out, is their shame over the acts they have committed, since they will come to heaven with all of their life on display so to speak. Adrina asks this question, not because she has anything against gays, but at the time (1980) gays were predominantly in the closet, hiding something about themselves. Without being able to be open about such a large part of their lives, the idea was that the demon would be able to use that against them. That's why she says it will be worse if you were...she doesn't say impossible. I knew this would be a bit of sticking point with some people and I seriously thought about taking it out(since it really doesn't add anything to the story) but I don't like being pc.

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah (Misha-one) | 4 comments Did you have a favorite story?
Peter"

I like thenm all, but Pen was my favorite because it was the longest, but the red feathers one was crazy. You say its true so I will believe you. But talk about no PC! With what you wrote in Pen, your going to get in trouble! lol.
I got this book last night and I read for about an hour before my eyes burned, but I really liked it so far.

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Leah wrote: " Did you have a favorite story?
Peter"

I like thenm all, but Pen was my favorite because it was the longest, but the red feathers one was crazy. You say its true so I will believe you. But talk..."

No PC for me...though I don't mean to be offensive in any way, I just to make people real, though not too real(otherwise they would be boring!)
I hope you enjoy the Horror.
Peter

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah (Misha-one) | 4 comments ****Spoiler****
They are in the hospital and I cried when the mom went a little crazy...back to the book, see ya.

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3 comments To Peter: I see what you are saying and I didn't have a problem with it, I just know so many people who are way too sensitive.
To Leah: Its funny, I had to walk away from and do something else at that point. That hit home way too hard. Gayle was my least favorite character right up until she sees the demon and then goes to the hospital.

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments To Dawn,
I can't help the over sensitive, there's no winning down that route.
To Leah,
I get that turn around on Gayle a lot. I tried to write her as a normal mom, which by the way, means she's a little weird when it comes to her children. Now I'm insulting moms! The caveat of course is that people are crazy all over.

message 30: by Leah (new)

Leah (Misha-one) | 4 comments I finished the book, but Have been gone all week. I wish it had been vacation! I realy liked it alot Peter, but there were some mispellings and such that detracted a little. get a better edito and you will have a hit. I still think this was a five and I am going the next one. Have a good one!

message 31: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscomPeterMeredith) | 22 comments Thank you Leah. Self editing is the bane of my existence!

message 32: by J.D. (new)

Peter wrote: "Thank you Leah. Self editing is the bane of my existence!"

Use AutoCrit or WhiteSmoke! It helps a lot to have software or websites to help you. I use AutoCrit, which is a yearly membership. You decide what level you want. Membership costs range from free- a little over $100. :)

unread topics | mark unread