South African Book Lovers discussion

Book Discussions > Your favourite South African reads

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Fiona Wallace (FionaWallace) | 4 comments I'm sure there are many more, but these come to mind immediately as 'special' to me.

Eskia Mphahlele - Down Second Avenue
Olive Schreiner - Story of an African Farm
Troy Blacklaws - Karoo Boy and Blood Orange
Herman Charles Bosman - Cold Stone Jug
Ruth First - 117 Days
Steve Bantu Biko - I write what I like
Sol Plaatjie - Mhudi

Lauren Smith | 6406 comments Mod
I haven't read nearly enough South African books, but from what I have, these are my favourites:
Moxyland by Lauren Beukes Exhibit A by Sarah Lotz Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee CRACKS by Sheila Kohler

Fiona Wallace (FionaWallace) | 4 comments I have just discovered how to add icons for each book, so apologies for the repeat posting.
Mhudi by Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje I Write What I Like  Selected Writings by Steve Biko 117 Days  An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law by Ruth First Cold Stone Jug (The anniversary edition) by Herman Charles Bosman Blood Orange (Fiction Africa) by Troy Blacklaws Karoo Boy by Troy Blacklaws The Story of an African Farm (Penguin Classics) by Olive Schreiner Down Second Avenue  Growing Up in a South African Ghetto by Es'kia Mphahlele

Barbara Mutch | 3 comments I loved Imaginings of Sand by Andre Brink. And the early Joy Packer novels, like Valley of the Vines. Anyone remember them? I know they are dated now, but she had such infectious enthusiasm for our country and its peoples...
(And by the way, please join in my Q&A on my own book Karoo Plainsong)

Fiona Wallace (FionaWallace) | 4 comments Barbara, how do I do that? I'm new to this forum.

Barbara Mutch | 3 comments I am brand new to the Q&A as well! I think you ought to be able to find it if you scroll down from the forums you are currently following.. Or maybe go to the Karoo Plainsong book page? Can anyone else out there help Fiona?

Julia Mukuddem (JuliaCapeTown) Fiona wrote: "I have just discovered how to add icons for each book, so apologies for the repeat posting.
Mhudi by Solomon Tshekisho PlaatjeI Write What I Like  Selected Writings by Steve BikoMhudi by Solomon Tshekisho PlaatjeI Write What I Like  Selected Writings by Steve Biko[bookcover:117 Days: An ..."

Like your recommendations Fiona - thanks!! :)

Barbara Mutch | 3 comments Thank you, Lu. I'm not sure I set up the Q&A correctly, but hope it will work! Please join the discussion - I need someone to kick off!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Disgrace (other topics)
Exhibit A (other topics)
Moxyland (other topics)
Cracks (other topics)
Blood Orange (other topics)
More...