Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > april 2011 - sandi

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi (sandin954) | 548 comments Hi everyone. Had a little more variety this month than usual. Here are my April reads:

Top Read

The Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyThe Winter Sea
Susanna Kearsley
I rarely read romances but when I saw this was the April book of the month over at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books I thought I would give it a try and really ended up enjoying it. The contemporary storyline was fine but the historical sections were very good and I learned quite a bit about the Jacobite uprising of 1708.

Goods Reads

Bloody Harvests by Richard KunzmannBloody Harvests
Richard Kunzmann
Intense, disturbing thriller set in the criminal underworld of Johannesburg South Africa. The author mixes African myths and legends with everyday criminal activity. Lots of violence against children so not a read for everyone.

Blood, Bones, & Butter by Gabrielle HamiltonBlood, Bones, & Butter
Gabrielle Hamilton
The owner of the highly acclaimed New York City restaurant Prune shares snippets of her life and how various experiences shaped her as a chef. Really enjoyed the first half of the memoir but felt it lost a bit of steam at the end. Listened to the audio version which was competently read by the author.

The Brass Go-Between (Perennial Library) by Oliver BleeckThe Brass Go-Between
Oliver Bleeck
I always enjoy suspense thrillers written in the sixties and this was no exception. Nice, crisp storytelling with a sensibly cautious hero and enough action and twists to keep the pages turning.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth HoffmanSaving CeeCee Honeycutt
Beth Hoffman
A nice feel good story that was perhaps a bit too sweet for me but the narration by Jenna Lamia was so excellent that I had no problems finishing the audio.

OK reads

Half Empty by David RakoffHalf Empty
David Rakoff
I did not think this was quite as good as the first book by the author that I listened to Don't Get Too Comfortable: the Indignities of Coach Class, the Torments of Low Thread Count, the Never- Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems but there were some interesting thoughts on pessimism and health issues. Listened to the audio read by the author.

The Armageddon Rag by George R.R. MartinThe Armageddon Rag
George R.R. Martin
I have really enjoyed other works by this author but found this book a bit underwhelming. I did not really connect with any of the characters and thought the plot, which held a lot of promise, just did not deliver the bang or chills that I expected.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2274 comments THE WINTER SEA sounds good. It's nice to get out of your usual reading comfort zone sometimes!

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6260 comments Sandi - a great varied month! I thought the audio of Saving Ceecee Honeycutt made the story too. I was in just the right mood for it.