Ask Meg Cabot! Special One-Day-Only Group! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions for Meg

Comments (showing 251-289 of 289) (289 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 4 6 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 251: by Meg (new)

Meg Cabot (MegCabot) | 45 comments Sophie wrote: "How do you get through Writer's Block and encourage yourself to write? I have trouble staying enthusiastic about some of my stories, so do you stop the story if that happens, or do you push through..."

Well, it helps if you have One True Thing (see a message I answered earlier where I mentioned this) in the story that makes the story important to you personally. That way, even if you get stuck and want to quit, there's something that will keep you powering to the finish because you want to get your message out there.

But truthfully sometimes some stories just don't work out, for whatever reason, and you just have to start over with something new. This happens a LOT. Don't beat yourself up about it and SAVE THOSE OLD DRAFTS. You never know when they might come in handy again!

message 252: by Meg (new)

Meg Cabot (MegCabot) | 45 comments Melody wrote: "Hi Meg!! I just wanted to say that I've LOVED every single book I've read by you! You are my favorite author of all time! The Mediator is my favorite series by you, Jesse and Suze are soo amazing! ..."

Aw thanks, Melody! I won't be in LA this summer because I was just at the LA Times Book Festival last spring. So sorry to have missed you!

Meg

message 253: by Alex (new)

Alex Smith | 2 comments Hi Meg!
You really are awesome and it's so cool to be part of this chat. I do write stories sometimes but I find it hard to get motivated. I have heaps of stories that just keep going and going, I can never really seem to finish them! Any tips?
Thanks for being awesome! :)
xoxox Alex ♥

message 254: by Meg (new)

Meg Cabot (MegCabot) | 45 comments Lynn wrote: "Hey Meg! Love your books and so do my daughters (well, they aren't quite old enough for all of them) So, you and I were at IU at the same time! I just wanted to tell you that I find it inspirationa..."

Hoosier power! Great to hear from you, Lynn! July 31st is Meg Cabot Day in Bloomington (officially! By order of the mayor!) and I would love to be there this summer. I'm definitely working on it!

(If you watch this 1 minute video from my latest signing you can see why it took me 6 years to graduate from IU, but it's also because it's such a fun school. And Hoosiers think differently than other people):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4508fz...

message 255: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Triska (Gennen) | 2 comments Hi Meg!
I have noticed that while all of your main characters have their own distinct personalities and characteristics, they all seem to share a similar way of thinking/moving/talking which I am assuming came from you. =-) Because of this, my question is: Which of your characters is your favourite? I know that that is a bit hard, and that it may very well be one of those, 'I-love-all-of-my-children-equally,' scenarios; but I mean which was the most fun to write or which would you most enjoy meeting in real life. That sort of thing.

message 256: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg, thank you for writing such amazing books! :D

message 257: by Meg (new)

Meg Cabot (MegCabot) | 45 comments Lynn wrote: "I also want to say, I am completely fascinated by all the things you do. I read your blog, which is so clever and witty and I just want to know.... How do you watch all the shows, write books so qu..."

I have a TON of great people who help me with SO much, both at my publishing houses and at home. So I can't take credit for much except writing the books and updating the blog and attending the book signings, etc. My husband does all the cooking and bills and home maintenance (with professional help of ourse or our crazy 150 yr old house would fall apart). I have fantastic publicists and editors and assistants and of course the same agent since 1995.

So they do make it easier for me to lay around and watch TV, but I have to admit I do feel guilty every time I do and I do it much less than I'd like to when I think about how many people are depending on me (including my in-laws, whom we're supporting now, too. Phew)!

message 258: by Emilia (new)

Emilia | 3 comments Hi Meg,
It was so nice meet you at the Toronto book signing, you made my day :)

who inspires you as a author?

message 259: by Natz (new)

Natz | 1 comments Hi Meg-

You are such an inspiration to me as a writer. Right now, I am just starting off, signing up on writing websites, having my friends review my work, doing writing for my school, that kind of stuff. It's my first step, but I want to take it up a notch. How do you think that I should continue? I'm still in school, so I can't do that much with it, but I still want to do better and learn more about becoming a skilled author.

~Natz

message 260: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Meg,

I was just wondering if you write to music. And if so, who/what band/singers are you into?

Thanks so much for all of your work, and see you at your book signing in San Francisco on June 13th!

-McKenna

message 261: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle | 1 comments Hi Meg,
I am very excited for your new book it looks very interesting and a good book to read (just like all the other books you have written!) I am a big fan of the Heather wells and 1-800- where-r-u series!!! I wanted to know what are some of the ideas you are brainstorming at the moment for your next book? And if you are going to be writing any books soon after abandon comes out(or maybe you've already started, well anyways i love your books thanks!!!

message 262: by Kmaria (last edited May 17, 2011 05:15PM) (new)

Kmaria | 1 comments Hi, Meg! I LOVE your books! You're an AWESOME writer! Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, I've been hoping to be an author myself, so I've read THOUSANDS of books, trying to get ideas from them, but most of them are from yours. :) So, my question is, really questions, are how do you make up so many books, and where do you get the ideas? Do you sometimes add real people that you know into the books? Have you ever gotten writter's block before? Do you know how many books you've written in all? Also, I've always seen when they make your books into a movie, they take out some scenes or change the character's looks. Do they have to, or could they change it? Thanks SO much for trying to answer my questions. :)

message 263: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Cox | 1 comments Hi Meg I am so happy that your answering our questions. I just finished reading one of your books Avalon High and really enjoyed it. I really can't wait to read your new book Abandon because I really into mythology and romance. The question I wanted to ask you is "How do you come up with so many great books for people to read"? and "Who influenced you to become a writer"?.Thank you so much. You are one of my favorite authors.

message 264: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Greenberg (lynnk1246) | 3 comments Meg wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Hey Meg! Love your books and so do my daughters (well, they aren't quite old enough for all of them) So, you and I were at IU at the same time! I just wanted to tell you that I find it..."

Video is very funny! I am with you on the indecisive/combo answers.

Hoosiers definitely see the world differently (not all of us were raised on farms, as most of the world believes!) I'm sort of suffocating in Buckeye territory! Have you heard the IU song going around? This is Indiana ( http://youtu.be/H8hdKnr7rpE )

Even if you have all that help, you still are watching those shows and writing all those books for different ages/audiences! Amazing! Also need to tell you thanks for Insatiable, loved the Twilight jokes!

Big thanks for answering all our questions!
xo~Lynn

message 265: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (Ch1oseph) | 1 comments MEG!!! I am your BIGGEST fan!! I adore the Princes Diaries series(read them 3 times) and I found tons of your characters appealing and relatable.

<>
When you first published the Princess Diaries did you have an idea about how long you wanted them to go on for? Like only 5 books or you didn't plan on it being such a successful series??

message 266: by Stephanee (new)

Stephanee Whiteley | 2 comments Hi again! (: gosh this just came to mind! Are you going to continue the mediator series with Jesse as a human..?

message 267: by Ken (new)

Ken | 1 comments Hi Meg. Abandon looks like such an extraordinary book. The Underworld part really got my attention. I also wanted to thank you for writing all of your wonderful books. Will you make a another book as amazing as all the others?

message 268: by Emily (new)

Emily (emdustrious) | 1 comments Hi Meg!
I'm a huge fan of your Princess Diaries series, and I love the Avalon High movie (sadly I haven't read the book yet), I'm looking forward to reading your new series Abandon, as I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology. On to my question, you have written so many different plots I have to ask, What inspires you? Most authors that write more than one series keep them connected, I love that I could be reading a Meg Cabot, author of the Princess Diaries book and it be about a totally different topic, rather than a connected one.
Thanks so much!
Miastar

message 269: by Raveesha (new)

Raveesha | 1 comments Hi Meg Cabot,
I absolutely love your books. I can't wait to read Abandon. I love the theme of it!! So, I was wondering if you were ever going to make any other of your books in to movies? Because I love the Pincess Diaries movies too.

message 270: by Namrata (new)

Namrata | 1 comments Hi Meg!
It's really awesome that you;re replying to our questions. I really liked reading the Princess Diaries and All American Girl, Ready or Not and Teen Idol. Which book series did you most enjoy writing. Which books do you enjoy reading?
Thanks Namrata

message 271: by Mariah (new)

Mariah Kate | 1 comments OMG You are such an amazing writer and I could read your books over and over again!!!! Can't wait for the next one!!

message 272: by Frances (new)

Frances (hafricanfran) | 1 comments I still wish u had done a magic sequel book to Twilight (of The Mediator series) like when u wrote Missing You for Vanished.

message 273: by Katy (new)

Katy Hello Meg,
I have to say I love every book I have read by you and it is because of you that I fell in love with women fiction and the standard by which I judge other women fiction writers: ) I loved "Insatiable" and can't wait for "Overbite" so I was wondering which of your series are your favorite to write and why? Also if you could live the life of one of characters who would it be and why? Thanks again for being my go to feel good author, you're the best! Safe travels

message 274: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Hoefer | 1 comments Hi Meg
I am fourteen and am your biggest fan I have read all your books and when I go to college I want to go to NYU to be an author and I wanted to know how you got into NYU what did you do to impress them please help me it is my dream to be an author for young adults.
your biggest fan,Lexi

message 275: by Tara (new)

Tara T. | 1 comments Hey, Meg! Love your work. :) I just wanted to ask, as someone who very much enjoys writing, how do you get past writer's block when it arises?

message 276: by Paula (last edited May 17, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

Paula (paulasanchez) | 1 comments Hi Meg!
I love your books,specially The All-American Girl series although my first book written by you is the The Boy Next Door which is really awesome too. It was recommended to me by my mom and it did not disappoint me and that started my hunt for your other novels. So, I was wondering which book you enjoyed writing the most? And who is your main inspiration in being an author? Thanks! :D

message 277: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (BroEliMor) | 2 comments Meg wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Hi Meg,
This is the girl that carved you that awesome pumpkin that one Halloween!
I have two questions for you:
1. I dont fully understand how a penname works. Once you sell one or ..."

Hee hee he! Its ok Meg you should of saw me when I got your personal email and when I saw myself on your blog on yourwebsite. I woke up the neighborhood. So my answer is yes I found myself there. Thank you so much for that by the way and thank you for takign time to answer my question and clearing that up. Im very happy I dont HAVE TO use a penname. Once again, thanks for everything! And by the way it took a lil over two hours to carve that pumpkin. =] Glad it was a halloween for you to remember.

message 278: by Anna (last edited May 17, 2011 08:16PM) (new)

Anna (annstu) | 1 comments Dear Meg
Hey, I'm wondering if you have any ideas for aspiring teen writers. I want to be an author when I grow up, and I was wondering if you had any advice. BTW, I'll be at your San Francisco book signing!
Thanks!
Anna

message 279: by Isha (new)

Isha (Ishakakar) | 1 comments Hi Meg,
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! I'm your BIGGEST fan! :D I'm soo glad you're doing this. You're my role model.
I wanted to ask you a few questions-
1. Who's your inspiration?
2. What's your favorite book?
3. How do you manage to make ALL your characters so.. different? And so appealing? :P
4. Did you always want to become an author or did it just happen?
5. Who's your favortie character? (Out of your books)
Thank you so much, again. :)

message 280: by Mari-liis (new)

Mari-liis (kidize) | 1 comments Are you planning to create any more books like the Princess Diaries or The Meditator?
What inspired you to create a character like Suze?
I simply love your books! You're probably the main inspiration to all my friends, who want to become great authors! :D Including me, of course. Please, keep being as awesome as you are!

message 281: by *TheWrittenWord*Mo (last edited May 18, 2011 06:16AM) (new)

*TheWrittenWord*Mo (TheWrittenWordMo) There's going to be a sequel to the HEATHER WELLS series??? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

and an epilogue to the MEDIATOR too?? YIPPEE!!!!!!!!

message 282: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you so much Meg I am really grateful you took the time to awnser my question thanks so much for everything!

message 283: by Meg (new)

Meg Cabot (MegCabot) | 45 comments Sophie wrote: "How do you get through Writer's Block and encourage yourself to write? I have trouble staying enthusiastic about some of my stories, so do you stop the story if that happens, or do you push through..."

Well, it helps if you have One True Thing (see a message I answered earlier where I mentioned this) in the story that makes the story important to you personally. That way, even if you get stuck and want to quit, there's something that will keep you powering to the finish because you want to get your message out there.

But truthfully sometimes some stories just don't work out, for whatever reason, and you just have to start over with something new. This happens a LOT. Don't beat yourself up about it and SAVE THOSE OLD DRAFTS. You never know when they might come in handy again!

message 284: by Meg (new)

Meg Cabot (MegCabot) | 45 comments Emilia wrote: "Hi Meg,
It was so nice meet you at the Toronto book signing, you made my day :)

who inspires you as a author?"

Hi, Emilia, it was great to meet you! As an author, I don't really get inspired by other authors. I get inspired by readers! I think about the great letters I've gotten from people who've read my books, and how they've helped them get through difficult times, made them laugh when they've felt sad, or helped through a hard break up or illness of a friend or parent (or cat)--we've all been there! There are so many books I've read that have helped me through the same kinds of things--it doesn't matter what ones. Some of them have been comic books! And that's what inspires me--to help take someone out of their own troubles, just for a little while, the way something I read did me. That's all! Thanks for posting!

message 285: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin M (Yasmin13) Meg wrote: "Yasmin wrote: "Well, hello there! Just wanted to point out to the fact that you are one of my very favorite authors especially ever since I've read the mediator series [Jesse *SIGH*] and I mainly w..."

Wow, I never thought of it this way :) [Teenage narrow scope and all] But yeah I always look for a sense of humor as well which is practically nonexistent where I come from! But, hey fingers crossed, you never know right? maybe I'll even get the one with the flat abs :D
Thanks again for your time and the whole hope inspiration :)

message 286: by James (new)

James Pined (JamesPined) | 2 comments Meg wrote: "James wrote: "OMG! There are lots of things I"d like to ask Meg. First, I know you were in Brazil two years ago in Bienal in Rio de Janeiro; I was there! But, Unfortunately (cryin') I couldn't reci..."

Thank you Meg for answering my question! UR amazing!

message 287: by Emilia (new)

Emilia | 3 comments thanks for answering me Meg :)

message 288: by Fariha (last edited May 18, 2011 04:40PM) (new)

Fariha | 2 comments Hey Meg,
My name is Fariha, and I am from Georgia, USA. I absolutely adore your books. But how did you get your idea for Princess Diaries? It's so good. The best book ever!
P.S When are you coming to Georgia?

message 289: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 2 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for participating in this chat. Meg was extremely generous with her time and answered absolutely as many questions as she could. Thanks so much to Meg for participating. I'm going to close the thread now, as the chat is done. Thanks again for the many great questions!

1 2 3 4 6 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Ask Meg Cabot! Special One-Day-Only Group!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

How to Be Popular (other topics)
Vanished: When Lightning Strikes / Code Name Cassandra (other topics)
Ransom My Heart (other topics)