The Road The Road question

Do you read just because your forced or out of own pleasure?
Mikayla Lynn Mikayla Apr 29, 2011 10:24AM
It depends, If I truely am in the mood to read I will.

Not "your", but "you're".

I had no choice, it was either this or the firing squad. I made a mistake.

TrumanCoyote (last edited May 01, 2011 09:58PM ) May 01, 2011 09:58PM   1 vote
Well, the problem with the phrase "out of own pleasure" is that it possibly implies that everything we read we're gonna like. But certainly, being forced to read something is the worst thing possible.

The Road though I found objectionable stylistically (warmed-over Hemingway) and story-wise (a very canned idea indeed). Also, I must say that I love movies and TV just as much as books (if not more so).

I read to learn correct grammar.

anyone who is forced to read The Road will probably never willingly read anything on their own initiative. it is a hard book to read - like trying not to look at a car wreck when you're driving on the interstate . . .

Chathura I read this book out of plain curiosity .It made me wonder how people will really face a post nuclear holocaust world.
Jul 08, 2011 10:45PM

I would never read any books on my own except those roaving cannibals are threatening to harvest and eat 'the boy' if I dont. Someday all books will turn to a cold ash and darkness will fall upon even the distant warmth of the lonely stars.

I read it for a project in school a couple of years ago, and only because my dad had reccommended it to me. I enjoyed it though.

Pleasure, sometimes sheer joy!

A flop, tedious and boring, gray and dull

For pleasure!

I read because I love to read. Definitely for my own pleasure!

I read because I love to read. Books like The Road are the reason I love to read: different worlds, interesting stories.

The Road is one of my favorite books. It's raw and profoundly human.

I read this book for leisure. I loved it.

I definitely read for pleasure. I can't say that reading "The Road" was exactly a pleasure, but it did make me think. The book was grim, but very well-written and one of those stories that stays with you long after you've read the last page. I'm going to pass on the movie.

As an author, I read to improve my skills. As an editor, I read because that's my job. But I wouldn't be in this business at all if I didn't love to read.

I read The Road because Donald Maass used it in his The Fire in Fiction book for writers. I had to read it twice, once because I was caught up in the story, and the second time to learn from the author's incredible style. It's still on my shelf to be read a third time when I'm ready.

I am forced to read. I have two large ogres standing over me. They are the personification of evil. Pain, torture, living hell incarnate. If I don’t read they threaten unimaginable consequences short of the peace of death. You can’t see them of course, but they are real, I assure you. It’s one of those demonic warps of the space, time, ethereal spirit continuum. I have to go now. I must read... must read... (Reading THE ROAD seemed to calm the demons for awhile. On the other hand THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL SOCIETY made them quite agitated.) :)

Kind of both for me. I had a class assignment where we got into groups and had to select a science fiction book to read. Any book we wanted as long as it fit into the genre. A boy in our group suggested The Road and since the rest of us didn't have any better ideas, we went with it. I have to say I really enjoyed the book. The writing style was so different from any other book I'd read previously and the characters were extremely believable. I loved how even though there were only two characters for the majority of the novel, I was glued to the story throughout reading. It's a fantastic book!

I picked up this book to see what all the hub-bub was about. Initially I wasn't impressed, but I got hooked to the second half of the book. Reading it requires a frame of reference change. There isn't much, if any, plot. What drives the book is McCarthy's exploration of morality and human nature in the face of near-hopeless circumstances. He was inspired to write it on a trip to Texas. He imagined the whole landscape on fire, and how he would care for himself and his son, whom he was with on said trip, if everything was really destroyed. I think you'll appreciate it more looking at it through that lens. If not, well, to each his/her own I 'spose.

This book and the authors "All the Pretty Horses" were read for pleasure. Not that they gave me pleasure, rather his writing style kept leading me on through the story. When I was finished I found there were parts of the book that I enjoyed but not enough to ever reread (very unusual for me). Would I recommend them? Hmmm....I would really have to think about it.

Totally out of pleasure, if I have to read, like a technical piece, I find it difficult to do.

I will be trying this book for a book club starting in September. I will have to see how it goes for me :)

Mark (last edited May 01, 2011 01:19PM ) May 01, 2011 01:19PM   0 votes
couldnt agree more. reading was forced when i was younger, resulting in my not liking it. I only came back to it later on in my life purely out of choice and for pleasure. the road is a good but dark book, and surely will put off anyone who is forced to read it.

I can't imagine the taste in one's mouth after being forced to read this book against their volition. I read it because I was interested, and I wasn't disappointed.

Pleasure ! Even the required reading for class. I've read very few books that I haven't enjoyed ...There is not much point to reading if you don't enjoy it though, is there ? You won't be able to recieve anything from a book if you aren't capable of giving it your full attention and trusting it. Just a waste of time.

I actually read The Road to compliment a play we are studying in drama (Dusk, by Zinnie Harris, I highly recommend it), to help with character background building and whatnot. One of the most powerful books I've ever read, it absolutely blew me away (and then sent me crashing painfully back down to the ground, but hey).

i read it of my own volition, and thus far, it has been the only pulitzer book i have read worth reading.

This book was excellent, but if someone forces you to read it you will never appreciate the work of Cormac McCarthy.

I just love to read. I read almost any kind of book and don't always like them but the experience beats sitting in front of a TV and going brain dead. Reading brings back memories of listening to radio when I was a kid. It opens your imagination to everything.

Assigned book in English. Hated it at first (we had to do journal entries. First 20 pages: first they're walking, then they backtrack, now they're walking again). It's one I'm glad I did end up reading though - the last 100 or so pages had me pretty hooked I recall.

I was actually "forced/required" to read McCarthy's Border Trilogy in a Lit course and became intrigued with his works ever since. I read The Road for pleasure and was not disappointed.

I read for pleasure and the sheer joy of learning.
I was raised to believe the most radical act you can perform on Earth is teach someone to read.

I was fortunate to grow up before there was television in every home, my parents and both siblings always read for pleasure and study.
My parents told us television was for children whose parents didn't love them enough to buy books for them, which I think was not entirely true. I think it had to do with money in some cases, and in other circumstances, it was easier to park one's children in front of a television than to actively parent them.

Today I probably spend five hours reading for every hour I am on the computer. I have a cell phone. It's feature is that it is red. I am happy and have a quiet, comfortable life. I do still go to Science Fiction Conventions in the Midwest of the USA.

I was never forced to read. My Mother used to read a lot and I used to pick up a book and pretend to read it and try to copy her. I just love reading now.

I read The Road after seeing the film trailer.

I am teaching "The Road" right now in my advanced 11th grade English class. Some like it; some don't. We have discussed the difficulties in the text. I think they're handling it just fine.

As far as the question, I read things I "have" to as an English teacher...even if I don't want to...(still have managed to NOT read Twilight!). And of course, I read all the time for pleasure. Often I will re-read a book I hated the first time through only to discover that the reason I didn't enjoy it was because I was "forced" to read it for a class or something. "Fools Crow," by James Welch is one such book.

Definitely out of pleasure. I read every day and can't imagine not having a book or multiple books to read at my finger tips. I love all different genres so this opens up my reading world quite a bit so whatever my mood is I have a book for it.

I read The Road a few months ago and would say I'd read it again if for nothing else then the writing style, which I thought was beautiful.

Pickle (last edited Jun 06, 2011 03:28PM ) Jun 06, 2011 01:25PM   0 votes
I rarely read until last year and i wish i had done more at school, and in the recent past.

Its for pleasure and ive read a lot of sci-fi but getting into fantasy now after Magician.

I read both for pleasure and because I have to -- I teach English at a local college, and I need to read the pieces that I teach my class.

I think there's an underlying issue here that should be addressed: the idea of forcing someone to read. I was assigned books to read in school, but I never felt like I was being forced to read them. In my experience with teaching English and literature classes, the students whose parents encouraged them to read as youths tend to enjoy reading, regardless of who chooses the book for them (either for themselves or chosen by a professor). But, the students who were raised on tv instead of books tend to see it as a major chore and a waste of their time. Generally speaking, of course -- there are always exceptions, and the above is based solely on my own experiences with the students I've taught.

I read for several hours a day primarily for pleasure.

I read for entertainment and pleasure. To learn from what you have read is like icing on the cake.

I ALWAYS read for pleasure and it makes me sad that I have to force my son to read books for school :( He hates me for it now , but I hope he will appreciate it in the future.

I can't believe someone is asking this question on a book website! Aren't we all here because we love to read?

Deintely for pleasure. I love reading... I will read a book before I watch TV or a movie.

Reading and writing is like breathing for me. :P

Reading is like inhaling and Writing like exhaling!

I doubt I'll read the book, the movie was dark enough.

One must read for pleasure. If you want to ruin reading for someone by all means force them to read.

Chris Amen to that. If I hadn't been offered a pittance for all the stuff I hated in high school at a used book store, I never would have reread any of it. ...more
Aug 09, 2011 10:32PM

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road (other topics)