Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > May Read By Genre: Rebecca Brandewyne

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla (MossyLoveGrotto) | 1647 comments Mod
For the Month of May, I thought I would choose an author for our Genre Read (mainly because my brain is totally toast from buying BRs on Ebay today).

So I've elected to shine the spotlight on Rebecca Brandewyne, who debuted in 1982 with No Gentle Love.

[image error]

To Participate: It's easy! Just pick a book from her hefty backlist and read! Then come back here to discuss book and author.

Possible questions: Are you new to this author or are you familiar with her work? If you have read her before, how did the book you chose compare to her other works? Did you enjoy her style? Was the book fast paced or more leisurely? What do you think this author's strengths are? Weaknesses? How was the character development? dialog? setting and atmosphere? etc...

I'll be reading Rose of Rapture by Rebecca Brandewyne. And hoping that it'll be even half as awesome as Forever My Love was.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Rebecca Brandewyne is one of my favorites. She is the purple prose queen! The only Warner Books bodice ripper I haven't read is The Jacaranda Tree. Her books published with Harlequin weren't bodice rippers, though.

I will get to it this month, eventually.

message 4: by Noelle (last edited Apr 28, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Noelle | 115 comments Hmmmm, I have Passion Moon Rising by Rebecca Brandewyne and No Gentle Love by Rebecca Brandewyne in my tbr to chose from. She's kinda new to me, I haven't read her yet....

Yes, Forever My Love was sooooo purple prosey and I freakin' loved it! It had my mostest favoritest hero...until Steve Morgan entered the scene recently. LOL

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments I recommend No Gentle Love. Passion Moon Rising was good, but it has no bodice ripper elements (besides the purple prose and purply cover). NGL was her first book and very raw. Other than Forever My Love and Love, Cherish Me, all her other BRs are "tame."

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments In case anyone is interested, I listed the following Rebecca Brandewyne books on Bookswap:

Forever My Love by Rebecca Brandewyne
Desire in Disguise by Rebecca Brandewyne
Rainbow's End by Rebecca Brandewyne
Swan Road by Rebecca Brandewyne
The Crystal Rose by Rebecca Brandewyne

Carolyn F. | 51 comments I don't have one of her book! I'll pass this month.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments You like them bad boys, dontcha! Steve and Rian are too unfaithful for me. I loved Wolf from Love, Cherish Me. There's just something about a Texan who kills the men that mess with his woman, while chomping on a cigar and calls her "baby."

I've got to get a May reading list together. So many committments! :P

Noelle | 115 comments Okay, it looks like PASSION MOON RISING is going WAY down on the to read list.lol So I'll go with NO GENTLE LOVE. =)

SmittenKitten | 190 comments One problem with Rebecca Brandewyne... most of her books are chunksters!! :D

I started reading Forever My Love last summer and got to around page 500-something and then was distracted by other books... haven't gone back to it yet! Same thing happened to me with Outlander... even though I loved both books. Maybe I will try to finish Forever My Love this month, or try a different one of hers.

message 13: by Loudice (last edited May 02, 2011 06:14PM) (new)

Loudice (yOys) | 6 comments I've read some of her books, she's kind of hit and miss for me...my favorites by Rebecca Brandewyne:

Swan Road by Rebecca Brandewyne
Rainbow's End by Rebecca Brandewyne
Upon a Moon Dark Moor by Rebecca Brandewyne
Across a Starlit Sea by Rebecca Brandewyne
The Jacaranda Tree by Rebecca Brandewyne

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
I have Rainbows End so I might try and get that one in this month. I have been reading super slow lately, just busy with other things, so I might not get past our group read but I will try :)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Started The Jacaranda Tree by Rebecca Brandewyne and figured I'd play a drinking game. Rebecca Brandewyne always repeated the same terms or cliches over and over in every book. Grab your choice of poison and take a sip (or a guzzle) whenever you come upon of these terms:

-retrousee nose
-halcyon days
-gothic
-labrynthine
-perditious
-mat/pelt of hair on his chest
-coppery taste of blood on lips
-Gypsy/ Gypsy curse
-sloe eyes
-sweeping moors
-bastard
-twilight dim
-of her own volition
-aquiline nose
-smoking a cheroot

I'm on page 88 and am on my second glass of sherry.

(Have to justify it somehow, and this is better than just cuz I'm bored!)

Hah! OK, this is perfect because there are a few things I've noticed repeated in Rose of Rapture by Rebecca Brandewyne. Unfortunately I'm allergic to alcohol (not like deathly allergic, but my system hates it and I feel miserable after one swallow so I leave it alone) so I'll get drunk in a totally invisible and abstract way. :D

-"Marry-go-up!"
-mat/pelt of hair
-coppery skin
-heroine weeps
-wench
-aquiline nose
-sweeping moors
-rosy crests
-womanly petals (or other blossomy phrase)

I'm already 2/3rds of the way through it, but the last 1/3rd should still give me plenty of figurative sips at the imaginary bottle.

message 17: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited May 19, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Well it doesn't have to be alcohol...I have a bunch of left-over Easter Candy and for me that is far more addictive. (See Karla that's why reading makes me fat!)

I hadn't gotten to the sex scenes yet, but I know these are going to be there:

-rosy crest/puckered nipples
-sweet as/sweeter than nectar
-dark, moist secrets within
-inexorable
-very core of her being
-dazzling colors/kaleidoscope

Rebecca Brandewyne hasn't published a book in years due to health problems, but if she ever uses a ghost writer we already have a working outline for a book!

I finished Rose of Rapture yesterday and didn't like it as much as Forever My Love, which I thought had a better pace and interaction between the H/h. In this one, the H's antagonism towards the h was caused by a trope which I wasn't in the mood for at the time ("Some whore in my past crushed my heart as a tot and so all wimmen must pay!")

The dialogue was a bit stilted and reminded me of Prisoner of My Desire with the self-conscious medieval-speak, but there was more of a story in this one to keep my interest.

Brandewyne does write the purpliest of purply sex. Oh wow, I howled quite a few times - and it was still all good and entertaining.

The final part of the story, though.....yikes. Death and destruction! I think that was the main flaw of the story and it reminded me (unhappily) of Kathleen Woodiwiss: so much of the story went along in low gear and then the final bit was OTT craziness. But the payoff in this one was far more satisfying. And when some characters died and I got upset about it, I knew that the book had gotten under my skin and dragged me in.

I'd recommend this one and the author in general. She's a pretty sweet read.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I finished Rose of Rapture yesterday and didn't like it as much as Forever My Love, which I thought had a better pace and interaction between the H/h. In this one, the..."

I read that one 19 years ago and don't remember much of it, only that I loved it, especially since Richard III wasn't an evil humpbacked caricature. I do recall loving Warrick a lot more than Isabella, and crying a lot of tears when the brothers died. And that the word "fey" was used a lot.

But yeah, I love Rebecca Brandewyne. She's purple enough to win a Bulwer-Litton award.

Yes, Richard III is very sympathetic in it - and since he's seen through Isabella's eyes and he made her miserable childhood a bit more bearable by putting pressure on her odious guardians and whisking her brother away from the misery, the idolatry is understandable.

The scene where she sees his body brought back from Bosworth and she's heckled and abused by the crowd for crying was pretty tough to read. :(

Elle | 72 comments I'm trying to remember if it was Rebecca Brandywine I met on a writer's forum years ago... It was some well-known HR writer, and her name sounds very familiar.

message 22: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited May 26, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments I finished The Jacaranda Tree The Jacaranda Tree by Rebecca Brandewyne a few days ago, but I've been obsessed with This Towering Passion by Valerie Sherwood, so haven't gotten to writing about it.

JT was probably my least favorite of Rebecca Brandewyne's historicals, mainly because it was a verbatim regurgitation of conversations, plot points and love scenes from other books (mostly of Upon a Moon-Dark Moor and Desperado).

It was painfully obvious who the villain was, and there tons of cliches throughout (the serial killer who put coins on the eyes of his victims, for example). But even so, it wasn't bad. The love scenes were ultra-violet, but I liked that. If it had been the first RB I'd read, I would've enjoyed it more.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Here is the step-back image of The Jacaranda Tree:

Photobucket

The step-back was the death-knell of the bodice ripper, but it's important to record these things for posterity.

:P

True. The stepback is like the brown paper wrapper over the embarrassing thing we don't want to be seen with. Feh.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Wow - he looks like a zombie that is about to bite her face off!!"

Appropriate, as his nickname is "Demon."

If you look closely you can see something you don't find on a man much these days...chest hair!

I know! I love the older covers better ANYWAY, but I love them just a bit more on top of that for the presence of chest hair alone.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Rug-lovers gotta represent!

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 186 comments Ok, the guys I get...but dolphins? I am so out of the loop.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No Gentle Love (other topics)
Rose of Rapture (other topics)
Forever My Love (other topics)
The Jacaranda Tree (other topics)
Passion Moon Rising (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rebecca Brandewyne (other topics)