The Help The Help question

What becomes of Abilene ?
Kimberly Hartwig Kimberly Apr 27, 2011 08:30PM
I loved this book - I read it from start to finish in one sitting. This is the first book I literally COULD NOT put down!

But, months after finishing the book, I am still bothered by what happens to Abilene ?

In my mind, Skeeter ends up having her move with her, but I am all about the "...and they lived happily ever-after."

I'd like to think that Abilene became Editor of the "Ask Mabel" column, and changed the name to "Ask Abilene." Also, maybe her church helped her to open a nursery school/daycare. Maybe Minnie and her kids were able to move back to Jacksonville, where Minnie and Celia started a successful baked goods company:)
(Wishful thinking, perhaps, but why not?)

Jo-Lane Birkigt I thought the same thing, that Abilene would take over the column.. and I loved the book.
May 06, 2011 06:04PM

Kim (last edited May 12, 2011 08:09PM ) May 12, 2011 08:06PM   0 votes
She was free in that she was making a career change to do something different, something she enjoyed and always wanted to do. She felt empowered by this, and I'm sure others were encouraged to do the same, just as she did in finding other maids to help with Skeeter's book.

Abilene actually became a bus driver and took over the route that drove through the segregated part of town. She was one of the first drivers in the nation to personalize her bus with knick knacks and offered a selection of magazines to her riders. The third thursday of the month was pot luck ride where you brought a dish to share.

I believe that's the beauty of it all. You don't know so it could be anything. She hated leaving Mae but she had the freedom to do what she wanted and go where she wanted.

Surely, she did NOT have the freedom to go where she wanted - she was not wanted in the South with her daughter.

Kim Abilene didn't have a daughter - that was Skeeter's former maid, Constantine.
May 12, 2011 08:10PM

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Help (other topics)