Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Author Q&As > Jennifer Murgia (Sunday, May 1st from 1:00PM - 5:00 PM)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Emperor of the Arena (last edited Apr 28, 2011 05:15PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 10619 comments Jennifer Murgia

Jennifer Murgia has been writing ever since she was nine years old. After receiving recognition for her poetry, she went on to use her talents to bring characters to life in fiction novels that are authentic, intriguing, and personal. She currently resides in Pennsylvania with her husband and two children. (Information gotten from Goodreads)

Angel Star (Angel Star #1) by Jennifer Murgia Lemniscate by Jennifer Murgia

She is the author of Angel Star and Lemniscate.

Her website is:
http://www.jennifermurgia.com/

You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.

Also, there is a Angel Star Fan Club on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

Upcoming Book signings for Jennifer:
When: May 6, 2011 from 6:30PM - 8:00PM
Event: Whitehall High School Book Fair
Whitehall, Pennsylvania USA
http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.c...
-------------------------------------------
When: May 14, 2011 from 09:00AM - 5:00PM & May 15, 2011 from 10:00 AM - 5:00PM
Event: South Carolina Book Festival
1101 Lincoln Street
Columbia, South Carolina USA
http://www.scbookfestival.org/index.p...
-------------------------------------------
When: September 18, 2011
Event: Brooklyn Book Festival
http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/B...

message 2: by Lynsey (new)

Lynsey (lynseynewton) Hello!!!

message 3: by Lynsey (new)

Lynsey (lynseynewton) I want to know if there will be a third book and if you have a title/cover yet?

message 4: by Lisarenee (last edited May 01, 2011 09:46AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Sorry for not posting this earlier....

For those of you who are new to our Q&As, Jennifer will pop in and out during the scheduled Q&A time. So if she doesn't answer your question immediately, please be patient. Unlike some of her characters she is only human.:)

Please remember to put your questions in bold print. This will make it easier for Jennifer to see it in between answers.

How do I put a question in bold print?
Example:
If you write this:
<b> Put the text you want bold in between here </b>
It will look like this:
Put the text you want bold in between here

Please don't overwhelm Jennifer. Limit your questions to 2 or 3. If they only require a yes or no you may ask more, but please be reasonable.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. I don't think I need to add this (because we've got awesome members), but I witnessed a rather rude comment during a Q&A (thankfully not one of ours) and thought I'd mention the following. Please remember Jennifer has taken her time to be with us today. Please treat her with respect and keep negative comments to reviews and book discussion threads.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Jennifer, Thanks so much for joining us today. I was hoping you could clear something up for us. I was on Amazon today and I noticed Leminscate was listed as having an age range of 9 - 12. That would be a tween book. As Angel Star is listed as Young Adult is it safe to assume they made an error with Lamniscate and it should be listed as a Young Adult book as well?

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) (harleyquinn0887) | 18 comments Hello Jennifer. One question I love asking: Who do you see being Teagan and Garreth when you are writing the story or if it were a tv/show?

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Hi Lisa and Diana!

I noticed that rating on Amazon too when Angel Star was first listed - yes both books are Young Adult.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @Diana - Hmmm... a tv show would be fun, wouldn't it? That's a tough question! I am at a loss for someone fitting Teagan's character but I do have someone in mind for Garreth - looking his name up now!

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments For a long time my image of an actor to portray Garreth was Alex Pettyfer but I happened to find someone else - Mike Vogel! He played Christian in the movie Poseidon. His facial features and voice are perfect!

message 10: by Lisarenee (last edited May 01, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments I noticed a lot of books have been popping up this year with angel stories. Your first book, Angel Star, was one of the first of the trend. What inspired you to write an angel romance?

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Hi, Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to talk to us today. Teagan and Garreth have a pretty solid relationship. Will there be any conflicting relationships intertwined? (sort of like a love triangle)

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) (harleyquinn0887) | 18 comments Jennifer wrote: "For a long time my image of an actor to portray Garreth was Alex Pettyfer but I happened to find someone else - Mike Vogel! He played Christian in the movie Poseidon. His facial features and voice ..."

Oh that would work for me. I have a crush on him actually LOL! He is the only reason I watched Poseidon LOL! Thank you for the visual :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Hi Lynsey! As of now a third book is not contracted. That doesn't mean I don't have ideas for future books floating around my head (and you know I do!).
If anything I would love a prequel which I have tentatively named AWAKEN. I have a cover in mind but of course, this is not even written yet or under contract so it's very unofficial!

message 14: by Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) (last edited May 01, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) (harleyquinn0887) | 18 comments Besides angels, are there any other supernatural beings you are interested in writing about?

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @Lisarenee - I had no intentions of writing an angel themed story. The thought popped into my head one night and it stemmed from an unconditional love between a girl and a boy. I toyed with the idea if the one person to absolutely love you was somewhat forbidden and unseen yet constantly with you, what kind of future would that relationship have?
With vampires saturating the market the most appealing being to me was an angel:)

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Thought I'd post this picture of Mike Vogel so everyone can get a visual:

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @ Diana - you're welcome! He's very yummy!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @Sashana - Well, in both Angel Star and Lemniscate there is another being insinating himself into the perfect world Garreth and Teagan are trying to create for themselves. That would be Hadrian, my dark angel.
There's a touch of another character posing a bit of a threat in Lemniscate as well...

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) (harleyquinn0887) | 18 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Thought I'd post this picture of Mike Vogel so everyone can get a visual:

"

Oh thank you and Jennifer is right, he is very yummy :)

message 20: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I noticed that Teagan had a love for books. I'm guessing that this is a love that you also share being that you are a writer. Did you infuse any of your other likes/dislikes or character traits into Teagan?

message 21: by Lisarenee (last edited May 01, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Do all Guardians have a star mark? Garrath's was unicursal while Hadrian's is bicursal. Can the mark change from one to the other?

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Diana wrote: "Besides angels, are there any other supernatural beings you are interested in writing about?"

I'm a big fan of witches and ghosts!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @Lisarenee - Thanks for posting his pic! Might have to make that my desktop background:)

To answer your ?, yes in the story all Guardians are marked with the star enabling them to follow their human charges throughout the eight incarnations. And yes, the mark may change as the the Guardian switches paths between good and evil.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @Sashana - I admit, Teagan is very much like me! We share a love of books, Starbuck's and are quiet. I grew up as an only child too.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments @Lisarenee - got your message!

Sorry to confuse anyone - I'll post the question before my answer to make it easier to follow along!

message 26: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 80 comments Hey, Jen! 1. Did you ever get writer's block while writing any of your books? and if you did what did you do to move foward?

2. Did the darkness of Lemniscate ever get to you? Like emotionally?

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited May 01, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Thanks Jennifer.

Do Guardians only have one person to guard or can they have multiple people at any given time?

message 28: by Sloan (new)

Sloan | 3 comments Hi Jennifer, BIG Question, are you team Garreth or Team Hadrian??

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Lacey wrote: "Hey, Jen! 1. Did you ever get writer's block while writing any of your books? and if you did what did you do to move foward?

2. Did the darkness of Lemniscate ever get to you? Like emotionally?"

Hi Lacey! Of course I get writer's block and when that happens, it's time to step away from what I'm writing and give my brain a break. That bit of time to regroup is usually enough to do the trick. Sometimes it takes a few minutes and sometimes it takes a day or two to catch up but it usually works for me. I'll re-read my last scene and most often, it will trigger a breakthrough allowing me to move on.

As for your second question, I wouldn't say the darkness "got" to me - I loved writing it! Maybe I have more of a dark side than I realized, but I love the challenge of exploring the foreboding!

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Thanks Jennifer.

Do Guardians only have one person to guard or can they have multiple people at any given time?"

Guardians will usually have one charge. An Archangel may have more than one.

message 31: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments The biggest shocker for me while reading Angel Star was Claire's death. I didn't expect it all! I thought that she and Teagan would have a little rift and then their friendship would be mended. My question is: What made you decide to 'kill' Claire? Were you hesitant about this decision while writing?

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Sloan wrote: "Hi Jennifer, BIG Question, are you team Garreth or Team Hadrian??"

Eeek, you HAD to ask that???

Part of me wants to answer that I'm rooting for BOTH teams but if I absolutely have to pick - it's Team Hadrian.

message 33: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 80 comments Awesome! and perhaps you do have a darker side.... 1. Is there any particular scene you like best any of the two books?

2. what inspires you most: Silence? Music? or People?

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1627 comments Did you take a lot of time planning out Angel Star or did you just let it "flow"?

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Sashana wrote: "The biggest shocker for me while reading Angel Star was Claire's death. I didn't expect it all! I thought that she and Teagan would have a little rift and then their friendship would..."

That scene shocked a lot of readers I'm afraid. I hadn't realized what an effect it would make until I read some reviews. My neighbor even cried!
I wasn't hesitant at all - even though it was a distressing moment it was to prove how capable Hadrian was of ruining things. It was to purposely throw my readers off ( I guess I succeeded).

message 36: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments In Angel Star Garreth says some things that got me wondering. He asked Teagan, "do you ever wonder if you've lived before." (Page 42) He also said, "The octogram allows me to follow you through eternity." (Page 65)

Has Teagan lived before?

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Lacey wrote: "Awesome! and perhaps you do have a darker side.... 1. Is there any particular scene you like best any of the two books?

2. what inspires you most: Silence? Music? or People?"

Since we now know about my dark side, I might as well spill my favorite scene - the tunnel scene in Lemnsicate when Brynn seems to be possessed. She rocks back and forth muttering 'snuff the light...'. That part was actually the first scene in Lemniscate that I wrote and it set the tone for the entire story. Very freaky!

As for what inspires me? Usually music followed by silence.

message 38: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Lisa, I also wondered about that. I just didn't know how to phrase the question.

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Rachel wrote: "Did you take a lot of time planning out Angel Star or did you just let it "flow"?"

Hi Rachel:) I just let it flow! It was a lot of fun to write!

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1627 comments You said that you wrote parts of yourself in to Teagan's character. Was Teagan's determination and fearlessness inspired by your own?

message 41: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 80 comments 1. Have you ever considered writing a book from Garreth's point of view for Lemniscate?

2. You have such beautiful imagery, do you take images around you to create your scenery? or do you just look at pictures and flow with that?

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Lisarenee wrote: "In Angel Star Garreth says some things that got me wondering. He asked Teagan, "do you ever wonder if you've lived before." (Page 42) He also said, "The octogram allows me to follow you through ete..."

Yes she has, although she doesn't remember from one life to the next:)

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Rachel wrote: "You said that you wrote parts of yourself in to Teagan's character. Was Teagan's determination and fearlessness inspired by your own?"

I will say that I'm a very determined person - but I'm not totally fearless!

message 44: by Sloan (new)

Sloan | 3 comments Is there anything we as readers can do to make sure more books keep coming?

message 45: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Lacey said, "Have you ever considered writing a book from Garreth's point of view for Lemniscate?"

I wondered the same thing. I really wanted to know what happened in the hour or two when he disappeared at the beginning of the book and what happened after he left school.

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Lacey wrote: " 1. Have you ever considered writing a book from Garreth's point of view for Lemniscate?

2. You have such beautiful imagery, do you take images around you to create your scenery? or do you just ..."

1) I was thinking of that recently! A good friend of mine (Michelle) brought that to my attention and I love the idea!
2)Thank you! I started my writing years ago with poetry and always loved how words could leave you with an overwhelming feeling, more than information. I just always try to place myself into the scene I'm writing and capture the surroundings to their fullest; smells, sounds, how something would feel...

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Sloan wrote: "Is there anything we as readers can do to make sure more books keep coming?"

What a sweet comment! No worries, I'll always keep writing! It's a matter of getting the thoughts down and getting it out to you!

message 48: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Readers sometimes get starry eyed when they meet or talk to their favorite authors; does being an author make you immune from this or is there a particular author that you go ‘starry eyed’ for? If yes, who is this author?

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murgia (jennifermurgia) | 40 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Lacey said, "Have you ever considered writing a book from Garreth's point of view for Lemniscate?"

I wondered the same thing. I really wanted to know what happened in the hour or two when he disap..."

Hmm... maybe I need to start writing this book!

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1627 comments I just wanted to let you know that I love all names you give your characters! How did you go about picking them? Had you heard them before, were they named after somebody, or did they just happen?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Angel Star (other topics)
Lemniscate (other topics)
Angel Star (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jennifer Murgia (other topics)