Creative Reviews discussion

Bizzaro Fiction > Review of Uncle Sam's Carnival of Copulating Inanimals

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (Dranea) | 1841 comments Mod
This is my review of Uncle Sam’s Carnival of Copulating Inanimals Uncle Sam’s Carnival of Copulating Inanimals by Kirk Jones

Uncle Sam's Carnival of Copulating Inanimals. This title alone drew me to this book. The title leads you to believe this could be some mindless drivel, a way for some creeper who locked himself in a closet to get his jollies by writing about fornicating "inanimals".

What are inanimals you may ask youself. Well, inanimals are the PC term for furniture. Yes indeed folks, you will be reading about furniture love. Lint balls on the fabric, change under the cushion, furniture love...more cushion for the pushin....Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I'm all done with that now...

In all honesty though, there is absolute brilliance behind the deranged appearance. Uncle Sam is literally our good old true, blue American Uncle Sam, and he is touring the country with his media shadows and barf troughs. Along for the ride comes his blind niece, Liberty, and the new star of the carnival, Gary.

If you want to just breeze through this book as a light read and some entertaining visual, please feel free to do so. It is a book that you can sit back and enjoy while sipping your favorite wine (or beer - I guess it may directly relate to if you lean more towards pleather or real leather coverings) on a beautiful spring day. I could also see this book being used in a classroom setting. (An ADULT classroom setting, labia discussions are typically not encouraged in the younger grades.) But the metaphors throughout this entire book are too strong to be ignored for too long and too impressive to throw to the wayside. I even love it down to how Uncle Sam really does feel the need to use a politically correct term for the furniture, giving it a "no inanimal can get its feelings trampled on" name.

So, if you so choose to breeze through it the first time just to say you read a book about humping sofas, please do yourself a favor later on, sink into your most comforting armchair and read it through the second time for content. The American dream and the control Uncle Sam has is lurking in the pages ready to smack you in the face and run before you know what hit you. The storm is following you, ready to suck you in if you do not have the courage to fight it...

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (BitsyBlingBooks) | 42 comments Awesome! Kirk Jones. Very cool!

message 3: by Amy (new)

It was a very cool book!

message 4: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (bizarrojones) | 6 comments Thanks for the review, Amy :)

message 5: by Amy (new)

Thanks for writing a good book!! :-)

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (BitsyBlingBooks) | 42 comments Uncle Sam’s Carnival of Copulating Inanimals by Kirk Jones
My thoughts and review:
In this misery loves company tale, Gary is a living philosophical conundrum. Picture a mutant Dicken's orphan traveling with the strangest carnival on earth whom is just trying to make sense of the world and get lucky. Abandonment, work conditions, objectification and sexualization of just about anything with legs (tables, chairs, couches ect.) are all thematic endeavors worth exploring, or at least, thought-provoking concepts that appear in the text. In traditional fashion, these arrive on the page through humor and absurdism, which makes them fantastically palatable, easy to chew and slippery to swallow.

Original review posted: http://bitsybling.blogspot.com/2011/0...

message 7: by Amy (new)

That may be one the shortest reviews, but dead on! love it!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Uncle Sam’s Carnival of Copulating Inanimals (other topics)