InterVarsity Press Books discussion

What IVP books have you read?

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leah at IVP | 97 comments Mod
Welcome to the group everyone! As the group is just starting out, I'm open to any discussion topics anyone is willing to throw out there. I hope to see new members joining all the time who will jump right in.

For now, please share what InterVarsity Press books you've read and how they impacted you!

Pastoralmusings | 2 comments My favorite so far has to be Sailhamer's "Meaning of The Pentateuch." It is a very thought-provoking and educational book. It has caused me to see the Old Testament in a very new light.
I just finished "Making The New Testament" and hope to post a review of it next week on http://pastoralmusings.com

Tim (tjb654) | 3 comments The Providence of God (Contours of Christian Theology) by Paul Helm Paul Helm's book, "The Providence of God" is a fine explanation of the "no-risk" view of God's providence. It deepened my appreciation of the almighty and ever-present power and sovereignty of God.

Tim wrote: "The Providence of God (Contours of Christian Theology) by Paul Helm Paul Helm's book, "The Providence of God" is a fine explanation of the "no-risk" view of God's providence. It deepened my appreciation of the almighty and..."

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you hear you're enjoying Providence of God. I haven't read it myself, but I have heard great things about the Contours of Christian Theology series. Have you read any of the others?

Pastoralmusings wrote: "My favorite so far has to be Sailhamer's "Meaning of The Pentateuch." It is a very thought-provoking and educational book. It has caused me to see the Old Testament in a very new light.
I just fi..."

Hi! Thanks for joining the group! When it came out in 2009, Meaning of the Pentateuch was in high demand at our academic conferences. Glad to hear it's still proving to be a good influence. And keep us updated on any reviews you write on your blog! I'd be happy to post the link to our Facebook pages as well. Glad to "meet" you!

Tim (tjb654) | 3 comments Leah, I have read The Work of Christby Robert Letham and The Churchby Edmund Clowney. Both of them are very good. Contours of Christian Theology is a fine series.

Pastoralmusings | 2 comments Here is my latest review. It should show up in my updates here on Goodreads.
http://pastoralmusings.com/2011/05/bo...

Leah wrote: "Pastoralmusings wrote: "My favorite so far has to be Sailhamer's "Meaning of The Pentateuch." It is a very thought-provoking and educational book. It has caused me to see the Old Testament in a v..."

Bob Hayton (rjhayton) | 10 comments I second the Meaning of the Pentateuch as being the best IVP book I've read. Many thanks to Adrianna Wright for sending me a copy of it, too.

Adam Shields (adamrshields) | 33 comments I finished No Argument for God about a week ago and just started the introduction of Jesus, Paul and the People of God.

Bob wrote: "I second the Meaning of the Pentateuch as being the best IVP book I've read. Many thanks to Adrianna Wright for sending me a copy of it, too."

Ooo, glad you're already in our blog-o-sphere. Thanks for writing reviews!

Adam wrote: "I finished No Argument for God about a week ago and just started the introduction of Jesus, Paul and the People of God."

That's great! Are you an NT Wright fan?

Adam Shields (adamrshields) | 33 comments Leah wrote: "Adam wrote: "I finished No Argument for God about a week ago and just started the introduction of Jesus, Paul and the People of God."

That's great! Are you an NT Wright fan?"
I am. I read his Scripture And Authority Of God a couple weeks ag and though it was very good.

message 13: by Nick (last edited Jun 08, 2011 03:21PM) (new)

Nick | 6 comments I'm half way through Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament & Contemporary Contexts by Joel B. Green and Mark D. Baker. It is pretty good so far. The last IVP book I have read is N.T. Wright's Justification: God's Plan and Paul's Vision. It was quite excellent.

Bob Hayton (rjhayton) | 10 comments I'm a few chapters in to the following IVP books:

The Temple and the Church's Mission by G.K. Beale
OT Wisdom Literature: A Theological Introduction by Craig Bartholomew and Ryan P. O'Dowd
Are You Waiting for "The One"? by Margaret and Dwight Peterson

Always a lot of good IVP titles floating around, which makes it hard for me to focus!

Kevin | 3 comments After a quick perusal of my library, here's some.

I'm currently working through John Walton's Lost World of Genesis One

In seminary we read a few IVP books:
James Sire's The Universe Next Door and Naming the Elephant
Brian Walsh & J.Richard Middleton's The Transforming Vision
Gerald Bray's Biblical Interpretation
Kevin Vanhoozer's First Theology
Richard Erickson's A Beginner's Guide to New Testament Exegesis
Roger Olson's A Mosaic of Christian Belief
Laurie Guy's Introducing Early Christianity

In my undergrad we read:
Paul House's Old Testament Theology
William Dryness's Theme's in Old Testament Theology
Paul Barnett's Behind The Scenes of the New Testament

All good works. I especially liked Kevin Vanhoozer's First Theology. Read that a while back as part of a hermeneutics class. Very helpful.

Adam Ross (atross) | 2 comments Blessed are the Uncool
Why I am Not An Arminian
Getting the Reformation Wrong
God's Neighborhood
Knowing Jesus Through the OT
Knowing the Holy Spirit Through the OT
Knowing the Father Through the OT
The Mission of God
Old Testament Ethics for the People of God
God's Judgments
Defending Constantine
A Peculiar People
Kingdom Come
Religious No More
Reading Scripture With the Church Fathers
Evil and the Justice of God
Justification: God's Plan and Paul's Vision
Small Faith, Great God
Moral Darwinism
Worship, Community and the God of Grace
Sacramental Life
Honor, Patronage, Kinship, and Purity
Small Group Idea Book
Small Group Leadership Handbook
Cross-Cultural Ministry

And probably a ton more I've forgotten . . .

A. T. wrote: "Blessed are the Uncool
Why I am Not An Arminian
Getting the Reformation Wrong
God's Neighborhood
Knowing Jesus Through the OT
Knowing the Holy Spirit Through the OT
Knowing the Father Through the O..."

Wow. Impressive. Do you eat too? ;)

Adam Ross (atross) | 2 comments Only when I have to. Sometimes I think about sleeping too. :p

I will say that of those I've read recently, Religious No More had a huge impact on my life. I recently got out of a church situation which was very well described in the book, and it really allowed me to get a sense of release from the legalism there, and to see a bit of my own lingering legalism - that you have to do such and such to be "good" or "real" Christian, you know.

I think the temptation for those of us raised in fairly conservative circles is to think that somehow doing this or that makes us "superior" to those who disagree with whatever standard is being imposed. Some of it might even be good things to do, but when imposed from the outside to create two categories - those who are "in" and those who are "out" - it's just as bad as anything else. The book really showed me that the dichotomy wasn't between those who follow the rules and those who don't, but between those who use God's commands as a hammer to create boundary markers, and those who plug along, bearing one another's burdens in the power of the Spirit, understanding that transformation is a dynamic process of learning to follow Jesus.

David  | 1 comments I had to go look at my shelf to see which were IVP books.

Some favorites:
Christopher Wright: The Mission of God
Eugene Peterson: A Long Obedience in the Same Direction
JI Packer - Knowing God
NT Wright - Evil and Justice of God
John Stott - The Cross of Christ
Gary Haugen - Good News about Injustice
William Webb - Slaves, Women and Homosexuals
Goldingay's OT Theology Volume 1 and 2 (haven't got to 3 yet)

Adam Shields (adamrshields) | 33 comments I just started The Challenge of Jesus by NT Wright this morning.

I cannot tell you how disappointing that it was to read the introduction and hear that the book is based on lectures he gave in Chicago in 1999 to a conference of mostly seminary students. I was in Chicago in 1999 at Univ of Chicago Divinity School and had no idea about it until just now. Oh well

Adam wrote: "I just started The Challenge of Jesus by NT Wright this morning.

I cannot tell you how disappointing that it was to read the introduction and hear that the book is based on lectures he gave in Chi..."

Yes, but now you get to read the book! No note-taking required. :)

message 23: by Adam (last edited Jun 23, 2011 05:46AM) (new)

Adam Shields (adamrshields) | 33 comments :)

Bill (bill_forgeard) | 7 comments I'll try to give a comprehensive response once I get my goodreads library sorted out (I'm new here)...

I can say:
- I am currently reading "The Art of Pastoring" by David Hansen (IVP), which is proving extremely encouraging and helpful, as I am new to pastoring.
- The previous book I read was "God's Big Picture" by Vaughan Roberts, which I read as a recap and to check out for future ministry use. I believe I will buy a few copies for some of the my youth group kids...
- Before that I read "Basic Christianity" by John Stott. I am pretty inspired by John Stott, and having read so many tributes after his recent death, I wanted to finally read this one. I loved it -- it reminded me of when I first became a Christian at age 15.

Despite appearances, I do actually read non-IVP books, I just happen to have read 3 in a row :)

Bill wrote: "I'll try to give a comprehensive response once I get my goodreads library sorted out (I'm new here)...

I can say:
- I am currently reading "The Art of Pastoring" by David Hansen (IVP), which is p..."

There's never anything wrong with reading 3 IVP books in a row. :)

David (dbs1949) | 2 comments I have read the following IVP books:

Addiction and Virtue by Kent Dunnington
Authentic Communication by Tim Muehlhoff & Todd V. Lewis
Buddhism by Keith Yandell and Harold Netland
Corporal Punishment in the Bible by William J. Webb
The Dangerous Act of Loving Your Neighbor by Mark Labberton
The Dangerous Act of Worship by Mark Labberton
Doing Philosophy as a Christian by Garrett J. DeWeese
Encountering Religious Pluralism Harold Netland
Evil and the Justice of God by N. T. Wright
God in a Brothel by Daniel Walker
God is Great, God is Good edited by William Lane Craig and Chad Meister
Images of Salvation in the New Testament by Brenda B. Colijn
The Indelible Image: The Theological and Ethical Thought World of the New Testament, Volume One by Ben Witherington III
The Indelible Image: The Theological and Ethical Thought World of the New Testament, Volume Two by Ben Witherington III
Jesus, Paul and the People of God edited by Nicholas Perrin and Richard B. Hays
Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes byKenneth E. Bailey
Justification by N. T Wright
The Mission of God by Christopher J. H. Wright
Old Testament Ethics for the People of God by Christopher J. H. Wright
The Passionate Intellect by Alister McGrath
Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview by J. P. Moreland and William Lane Craig
Power and Poverty Dewi Hughes
The Resurrection of Jesus by Michael R. Licona
Social Justice Handbook by Mae Elise Cannon

and to many more to mention. They have all added "love, justice, and mercy" to my Christian life.

Nick | 6 comments I just got 4 IVP books in the mail for school:

The Dangerous Act of Worship--by Mark Labberton

Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace--James B. Torrance

Transforming Discipleship--Greg Ogden

Strange Virtues--Bernard T. Adeney

I look forward to reading them and letting you know what I think.

Nick wrote: "I just got 4 IVP books in the mail for school:

The Dangerous Act of Worship--by Mark Labberton

Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace--James B. Torrance

Transforming Discipleship--Greg ..."

Great!

Luke Brown (lbrown) | 5 comments Currently reading Family Ministry, a Comprehensive Guide, which I am enjoying very much.
Coming up
Run with the Horses by Eugene Peterson
Luke, the Gospel of Amazement, by Michael Card
I have the Dictionary of Biblical imagery, which has been helpful.
Previously read A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Peterson
On the shelf
Hard Sayings of Jesus by FF Bruce
Great Commission Companies by Rundle and Steffen
Interpreting the Parables by Bloomberg.
I also have several of the volumes of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture which have been helpful.

Luke wrote: "Currently reading Family Ministry, a Comprehensive Guide, which I am enjoying very much.
Coming up
Run with the Horses by Eugene Peterson
Luke, the Gospel of Amazement, by Michael Card
I have ..."

We'd love to hear what you think of them when you're finished!

Adam Shields (adamrshields) | 33 comments Randal wrote: "Maybe IVP and Kindle could strike up a deal?! ;o)"

If you could come up with a Kindle subscription program, I would be one of the first subscribers.

Adam wrote: "Randal wrote: "Maybe IVP and Kindle could strike up a deal?! ;o)"

If you could come up with a Kindle subscription program, I would be one of the first subscribers."

Because Amazon actually owns all the Kindles, we wouldn't be able to do any special deals from our end. However, we're getting closer and closer to releasing more of our own ebooks, and we hope in the future to have at least as many of our own ebooks as we have on Kindle. We'll keep you up to date on all future specials we have coming with our ebooks!

Luke Brown (lbrown) | 5 comments I am nearly finished with Eugene Peterson's Running with the Horses. Jeremiah had never been one of my favorite books, but I am looking at it with new eyes after reading Peterson's book. I always enjoy his books and have to limit myself to two chapters a day, or I wouldn't get anything else done.
After this, perhaps Learning to Pray through the Psalms.

Luke Brown (lbrown) | 5 comments Really enjoying Learning to Pray Through the Psalms. I notice that many of my recent favorite books have been part of your Formatio division, or whatever it is. I will be looking for more of those books!

Luke wrote: "Really enjoying Learning to Pray Through the Psalms. I notice that many of my recent favorite books have been part of your Formatio division, or whatever it is. I will be looking for more of those ..."

Hey Luke,
Thanks for posting! Yes, our Formatio line features books for spiritual formation, whether that's through spiritual practices alone or together in community.

You can check out more Formatio books on our website: www.ivpress.com/formatio or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/formatio

We're actually offering a special 40% off all our Formatio books on our website when you use the coupon code: WEB-205.

You might want to check out our most recent release: Awaken Your Senses: Exercises for Exploring the Wonder of God

Happy reading!

Luke Brown (lbrown) | 5 comments Oh no! A sale on books! And they are all so good! So many good books, so little time! I looked at the site and catelog, will see what happens. Was most interested in the book club and that may be the way I go. I have been part of the Ancient Christian Commentary for quite awhile and when that runs out, may join the Reformation Commentary series. They are all so good! Must, read, faster!

Elliot | 4 comments All the IVP books I've read over the years would probably make a longer list than anyone would want to read. But here's what I've read in the past year or two:

Beyond Bumper Sticker Ethics, by Steve Wilkens
Basic Christian: The Inside Story of John Stott, by Roger Steer
Cross and Crescent, by Colin Chapman
Gods That Fail, by Vinoth Ramachandra
Old Testament Ethics for the People of God, by Chris Wright
Just How Married Do You Want to Be? by Jim and Sarah Sumner
Colossians Remixed, by Sylvia Keesmaat and Brian Walsh
The Cross of Christ, by John Stott

I enjoyed them all, but if I had to pick two that stood out, they would be OT Ethics for the People of God and The Cross of Christ.

Elliot wrote: "All the IVP books I've read over the years would probably make a longer list than anyone would want to read. But here's what I've read in the past year or two:

Beyond Bumper Sticker Ethics, by Ste..."

That's a great list of books! Cross of Christ is definitely a classic, and we just came out with a new edition of OT Ethics...glad you liked them!

Nancy Kuehl | 1 comments The two I can think off right offhand are books I used in research for my first book. I have read numerous others from IVP. I enjoy the fact that the subject areas are quite broad.

Blomberg, Craig. The Historical Reliability of the Gospels.

Strom, Mark. The Symphony of Scripture.

Nancy wrote: "The two I can think off right offhand are books I used in research for my first book. I have read numerous others from IVP. I enjoy the fact that the subject areas are quite broad.

Blomberg, Cra..."

Thanks, Nancy!

Larry Farlow (larryfarlow) | 1 comments Just finished "Christianity and the Celts" by Ted Olson. Great introduction to this period of church history.

That history series is packed with good stuff! I'm glad you liked it; thanks for sharing!

Jason Gardner | 2 comments Reading several IVP titles, but really enjoying Colijn's Images of Salvation in the New Testament.