Angels & Demons  (Robert Langdon, #1) Angels & Demons question

The ending with Vittoria -Spoilers-
Sarah Davison Sarah Apr 25, 2011 02:24AM
This is meant to be the first part of the Robert Langdon series, despite being written second. So at the end Langdon hops into bed with Vittoria and they are all set to have a lovely lasting relationship. But in the second adventure, Da Vinci Code, Vittoria is forgotten and he is spiraling into a new affair with Sophia Neuveu! Am I missing something or do we have a player on our hands?

I think he's supposed to be a bit like James Bond, ie has a different girl each time. You're not supposed to overthink it.

I believe "Angels and Demons" actually was published first and "The DaVinci Code" was published later. I just assumed he and Vittoria had broken up. Since the books are thrillers, not romances, I wasn't really expecting a happy ever after.

To be honest I never had the impression that these books follow in chronological order other than the occasional references to being buried the coffin, etc... I'm just assuming there are a few years in-between the books and break ups and whatnot happen.

I love the last line Vittoria has in Angels & Demons.

I think in the DaVinci Code there's a scene where he's dreaming that Vittoria is running up a flight of steps and he can't keep up with her...

I took it to mean that she was too young/fast for him and Sophia was more his speed. Then again, I haven't read The Lost Symbol yet.

Hmmm.....??

Doesn't he mention at one point about how Vittoria and Langdon drfit apart because they both (mainly vitortia) travel with their jobs and they were thrying to meet at a new romantic location once a month?

Maybe I have the wrong book...

I wondered the same thing. While I would understand if he just had a new "girl" each time, I would really appreciate if there would at least be a mention of a breakup after a scene like the one Sarah described, because I have to agree that the scene sounded like they would stay together for a longer time.

The same thing happens in the third book. Both earlier women forgotten, new one at hand. Although I have to admit that it didn't but me as much that time, because the thing with Sophia didn't sound as serious as Vittoria.

So I suppose Ferien_uk has it right, we're not supposed to overthink it, just accept and move on.

Audrey Tautou vs. Ayelet Zurer...
hmmmm....
Well both are tempting ;)

In the Da Vinci code, Langdon just mentions that he and Vittoria haven't been in touch in several months already... hmm...

Sarah wrote: "This is meant to be the first part of the Robert Langdon series, despite being written second. So at the end Langdon hops into bed with Vittoria and they are all set to have a lovely lasting relati..."

the da vinci code comes first and angels and demons is the sequel to the da vinci code

Stephanie Actually, Angels and Demons came first. There are several references to that adventure in The Da Vinici Code...
Nov 03, 2011 05:18AM
Kim Angels & Demons was written in 2000; DaVinci Code was written in 2003.
Nov 04, 2011 11:41AM

Didn't Indiana Jones have a new lady sidekick in every movie?

Omg I was thinkin the same thing! I was reading Da Vinci code and going "UMM... EXCUSE ME, HELLLO...VITTORIA!!!" and he even mentions her in The Da Vinci Code...it was torture and I absolutely love Sophie's character but I am head over heels for Vittoria so it kind of upset me that he wasnt still with her, but I guess like everybodys saying Langdon's going all Bond on us

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Angels & Demons (other topics)