Reckoning (Strange Angels, #5) Reckoning discussion

Graves? Christophe? No one?

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

A Full Bookshelf So, I just read an interview with Miss St Crow and she said Dru doesn't have to end up with a boy because it doesn't define who she is. While I wholeheartedly agree with that statement, now I'm worried she really won't end up with a boy at the end of Reckoning.

What do you guys think?

message 2: by Angel (last edited Jun 04, 2011 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angel No way, I mean I agree with the whole image thing, but I want her to chose someone! Sigh, my expectations are now slowly decreasing...
TEAM GRAVES♥

message 3: by Briaun (new)

Briaun If she did that it would be different but I say she shouldn't do it. And I'm all for team christophe

message 4: by Elissa (new) - added it

Elissa Rivers TEAM CHRISTOPHE!

message 5: by Morgan (last edited Jun 23, 2011 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Morgan I'm always torn apart when I try to decide what team I'm on. I mean, seriously, how can I whole-heartedly choose between two very promising (and, sadly, fictional) male love-interests when the book is written in first-person point of view and the main character can't even decide on what she wants to eat for breakfast? (That was a metaphor, okay? Chillax. Dru's still pretty BA in my book.)

Though, in all honesty, I am closer to jumping onto the Christophe bandwagon than I am the Graves one. Graves fanatics, please spare me.

message 6: by Jullia (new) - added it

Jullia i so want dru to to choose graves. graves was totally honest with dru and christophe has lied to her since the begining. THE GRAVES!!

message 7: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine CHRISTOPHE <3

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla Well Actually I don't really know... because she has fellings for both of them. So it would be a little bit unfair with Graves and Christophe. Because if she end up with Graves there will always be that part of her that will beg for Chritophe. And the same thing will happen with Graves if she choose Christophe.
But I'm sure if she choose someone, is going to be Graves. She loves him. In defiance she thought about him all the time even when she was with Christophe. So boring. I like Graves, he's a good guy, and love her but their relationship it's weird for me. I can't see passion there. And her relationship with Christophe I can see passion, (sparks, chemistry)there.. I just can't see love. She doesn't know and trust him like she does with Graves.She don't let herself do it. And I don't know why! That guy gave his life for her like a thousand times and she still has doubts about him. So unfair. Actually I think she treats him like a crap and I hate this, he doesn't deserve this. He really loves her. With Graves is all that safety thing... and she needs someone to depende on. So yeah... I think she will end up with Graves. But I'm totally team Christophe.

Jennifer Carla wrote: "Well Actually I don't really know... because she has fellings for both of them. So it would be a little bit unfair with Graves and Christophe. Because if she end up with Graves there will always be..."

I totally hear ya! she needs to pick Chris. He would die for her. There is so much info thats missing. Im thinking about how they both took blood from one another and remember Chris was asked about if he took to much ?bonded with her. I wonder what else is gonna happen. Im team Chris all the way!

message 10: by Becky (last edited Aug 12, 2011 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky The tricky thing about Ms. St. Crow's response is that it seems like the author and the publishing company want two different books.

I agree that Dru's character SHOULDN'T be defined by who she chooses, but the books clearly play up the love triangle--heck, look at the covers. The very first book labels Dru as a "heartbreaker," when in fact that's pretty much the opposite of her character. Not to mention the cover (and title!) of Jealousy.

I guess my point is that these books ARE focusing on the love triangle, so it's a bit problematic to say in the last book that the love triangle doesn't define the books.

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla Becky wrote: "The tricky thing about Ms. St. Crow's response is that it seems like the author and the publishing company want two different books.

I agree that Dru's character SHOULDN'T be defined by who she c..."

I agree with you. Almost everything about this book is the love triangle. And yes! She wants Dru with Graves but the publishing company wants her with Chris. And with this we all get confused.

Becky Once The Reckoning is out, I'd be interested in hearing how she originally pictured the series panning out, since she mentioned somewhere that Graves was initially supposed to be a one-time character.

Considering how big a role he's played in the books, I have to wonder how the series would have looked without the love triangle. Or if the publishing company pressured her into creating the love triangle in the first place.

And yeah, publishing companies should just sit back and trust the authors to do their thing. ;)

Jennifer I want to read this book already,AGGHH!

Baley Sipple If she doesn't pick Christophe, I will jump in the book and kick her svetocha butt...

Jennifer Me too! How can she not! I want that book now!

message 16: by Becky (last edited Aug 20, 2011 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky Eh, I honestly don't think that Christophe is a particularly great match for Dru. *ducks* He has a tendency to keep secrets, and as we saw at the end of Defiance, is willing to manipulate her if he believes he knows what's best. In contrast, Graves is usually willing to follow Dru's lead, which in turn makes Dru become the person he expects her to be. Again, we see this at the end of Defiance when the three of them go on the run.

On the other hand, Graves is a little too laid back, to the point where Dru is always the one initiating romantic interactions. Personal issues aside, he needs to get his act together.

Jennifer I do admit he does keep things from her, which is quite annoying. She is just getting her bearings with everything though. He really needs to start being honest with her ALL the time. He's so in love with her.

message 18: by Becky (last edited Aug 26, 2011 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky I admit that Christophe is a complicated and interesting character, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the love thing. I don't think Christophe knows Dru well enough to decide whether or not he loves her, though I do think he believes he loves her, if that makes sense. After all, Defiance was the first time they even spent any real time together.

Anyway, Dru seemed pretty skeptical of Christophe's feelings at the end of Defiance. She even says something about people "thinking they love her because of her mother". I can't remember the exact quote.

ETA: Aha! Love ebooks. They make the copy/paste thing so much easier: Was there anyone around who didn’t hate me or think they loved me because of something that happened before I was even born?

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Graves! :)
Christophe creeps me out even more than Edward did... and that's saying something. He crushed on Dru's MOM, guys! And he lies to Dru constantly, he calls her "little bird" (which to me shows unequality in a relationship), and he's wayyy older than Dru. I could go on and on about why NOT to pick Christophe. It would be like falling in love with your mom's boyfriend from highschool who happens to still be in a teenage body. Ew. EW!

Sheldon Jennifer wrote: "Carla wrote: "Well Actually I don't really know... because she has fellings for both of them. So it would be a little bit unfair with Graves and Christophe. Because if she end up with Graves there ..."

dats y mi think him is a bastard dam vam,,i personally dnt think she like him of free will him do sumting wen him drink her blood...GRAVES to di world....small note y does di writer mek graves luk like a punk, di man no get no real fight sene,she mite be bias..jus kidding

message 21: by Jade (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jade Kelly i really think Dru should end up with Graves because they have been through so much and i feel like it would be the perfect ending to the book. it would be great to see the book end with the people it started it with. GOOOO GRAVES!!!!

message 22: by Aras (new)

Aras Redan Skyler wrote: "Graves! :)
Christophe creeps me out even more than Edward did... and that's saying something. He crushed on Dru's MOM, guys! And he lies to Dru constantly, he calls her "little bird" (which to me ..."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! I agree! I laughed my ass of at this, (:

message 23: by Aras (new)

Aras Redan SHE BETTER END UP WITH GRAVES! I am so fucking sick of all the stereotypical boys getting the girl. 'Oooh, the mysterious charming bad boy with his hidden secret!' Seriously, I will kill myself, I will actually die of heart failure.
Why can't the nice guy get the girl? Christophe was in love with her MUM! Christophe is too old! Christophe treats Graves like shit! If Christophe loves her, then he should love the people she cares for, or at least treat them with some respect and dignity, throughout the whole series he hasn't called Graves by his name ONCE, god he infuriates me! I could go on forever! Christophe has more of a fatherly vibe to Dru, I think Graves pulled back because he was scared of getting hurt, I mean, What would you do if your competition was Christophe? Damn I am just so pissed. Sorry guys (Chris fans) It just really gets to me. ): All in all we have our own opinions but ARGH!
Team Graves FTW! <3

message 24: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES GRAVES. Graves FTW! <3

»Shadowhunter« Becky wrote: "Eh, I honestly don't think that Christophe is a particularly great match for Dru. *ducks* He has a tendency to keep secrets, and as we saw at the end of Defiance, is willing to manipulate her if he..."

I totally agree, Becky!

Though I'm usually bias on love triangles in novels, the Strange Angels series just makes me keep double thinking about my 'team'!!!

Richa I really hope Dru ends up with Graves... I've always wanted them to be together ever since the first book. I don't think Christophe is right for her, but I'll be sorry for him if Dru chooses Graves.
I just hope Graves takes more initiative in their relationship in Reckoning. But I have a feeling he might feel awkward around her, especially since she's finally bloomed.

SoccerFangirl im on team christophe because i just don't feel the passion between graves and dru. With them i see more of a dependent friendship which helps keep her sane. If they started a relationship it would be awkward. Even their kiss was awkward, i mean he went to brush his teeth right after??? WTF?

I feel like she has passion with Chris. They have nice chemistry and if she would let herself trust him they could work. But who knows she might be better off with neither....

message 28: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena Christophe is old. He's creepy. He loved her mum for god's sake! It's like saying that when Dru will have a daughter he'll fall in love with her?! Ew!

message 29: by Ferdy (last edited Oct 20, 2011 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ferdy If I had too choose i'd say Graves even though they don't have much chemistry.
The thought of her with Cristophe is wrong and disgusting.. the age difference doesn't bother me much, but the fact he loved and was intensely attracted to her mother and was all over her when Dru had that flashback.. it's soo wrong. I would have chose Christophe for Dru if he didn't love/have romantic feelings/was attracted her mother..It's just WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Deena Beena wrote: "Christophe is old. He's creepy. He loved her mum for god's sake! It's like saying that when Dru will have a daughter he'll fall in love with her?! Ew!"

I so agree with this.. I just keep imagining her choosing Graves and them having a daughter and christophe lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce on Dru's daughter as soon as she turns 16.

A Full Bookshelf I don't really feel like Chris loved Dru's mom. He talks about what a good friend her Mom was to him and a lot of the other guys, but I don't get the creepy feeling. Just my opinion though.

message 31: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena Ferdy wrote: "If I had too choose i'd say Graves even though they don't have much chemistry.
The thought of her with Cristophe is wrong and disgusting.. the age difference doesn't bother me much, but the fact h..."

Oh my god .. You're right! That's so creepy, I actually locked my windows when I thought about it ..

Becky A Full Bookshelf wrote: "I don't really feel like Chris loved Dru's mom. He talks about what a good friend her Mom was to him and a lot of the other guys, but I don't get the creepy feeling. Just my opinion though."

The reason it kind of weirds me out is that I thought Christophe initially said he was in love with Dru's mother. Something along the lines of "we were all in love with her" in the first book. I thought it wasn't until later that Christophe's interested in Dru and tells her he wasn't.

Ferdy Yea Christophe says at first that they were all in love with her, then later after Dru is shot at he says her mother never made him that scared.. so it seems that he does love Dru more and maybe loved Dru's mom as a friend but then when Dru had that flashback of him kissing her mum he seemed very sexually attracted towards her mum.
It is clear for me anyway that he was a little in love with her mum but also that he had a whole lot of her lust for her mum.
When Dru has that vision of him passionately kissing her mum..that was when I stopped shipping Christophe/Dru.
I mean if a love interest has to explain his feelings for your mum and try and convince you it's not the same as what he feels for you.. that there is a dealbreaker for me.
Graves doesn't seem all that crazy about Dru so i'm not too keen on him.. maybe that will change in Reckoning. But I have to say that I kind of want her to be with Ash.. I love their relationship.

message 34: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina I can not wait and it's less than a week away!!!
First let me say that the first comment about the author stating that "who Dru ends up doesn't define who she is and she may not end up with someone"... well if you didn't want it part of the story, why write it??? it's a major conflict in her life, of course we are all wondering what will happen with the boys. Also, how do we get to know more about each boy? We are limited to her... Maybe she'll write some spin off books... that would be fantastic. Personally I dig Christophe but I think he's hot, he's got some qualities that may put some off, but Graves got issues too. She has introduced two different kind of loves, personally I think Graves is more of a kind of brotherly love and Christophe is a deep rooted attraction. I hope it's a thick book because I hate it when an author introduces lots of cliffhangers, truely, and doesn't answer them. It's the reasons we keep reading, if not answered.. what is the point?

message 35: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Deena Beena wrote: "Christophe is old. He's creepy. He loved her mum for god's sake! It's like saying that when Dru will have a daughter he'll fall in love with her?! Ew!"

If you're a sudo-vampire, trapped in a 20-yr old body forever, how could it not happen? I mean think about it??!!

message 36: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena Dina wrote: "Deena Beena wrote: "Christophe is old. He's creepy. He loved her mum for god's sake! It's like saying that when Dru will have a daughter he'll fall in love with her?! Ew!"

If you're a sudo-vampi..."

I honestly don't care who he falls in love with as long as it's not 'the love of his life's' mother! Okay, say you had a a boyfriend, and one day, you found out that he was head over heels for your mum, then, a few years go by and you grew older and he's thinking "Wow she's a lot hotter, and she looks and acts a lot like her mum, yeah, I'll go for her now."

Because Christophe pointed out SEVERAL times throughout the book that Dru was exactly like her mum, looks and personality, so you think he's in love with Dru's divergence and individuality? No. He's in love with her mum's.

message 37: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina I can see why you think it's wiggy.

I guess if a guy that never grows old told me that he thought my mom was hot, and he thinks I look like her and pretty much I'm hot too... that's not weird to me, that's a complement. The difference I take from the book is that he states he had the hots for her mom, but for Dru he feels more than just a lust. I gather that by the way he relaxes and the way Dru seems to make him happy(fill with joy) when they spend time together.

What I was getting at with the age thing is this: Ok - I live forever. If I have kids, when they hit 16 (which isn't very long of an immortal), than bloom (not always but most of the time) and look 19/20. For someone like Chrisophe, who has been around a while, either they shag a human or they would shag a sudo-vamp. If it's a sudo-vampire, they would likely know the sudo-vampire and since he's so old, it would likely be a friend or decedent of friend. In Dru's situation, she's a chica, which there aren't many sudo-vampires. So that really narrow downs the selection pool and said decedents.

I don't support incest, but it's just the merry go-round of a small community. I live in a small town, and I see the go-around of people who are shag happy. 23 year old's dude who shag Sue. Sue's 20 year old daughter then shag's the same 50 year old dude. It happens - both ways.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse - But if you read the twilight series it is kinda like what happened with Bella and Jacob. Remember who Jacob bonded with?

message 38: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena I wish I could relate you to you about Twilght. But I honestly have not had anything to do with any of the books or movies. Sorry.

P.S. I know this is completely off topic .. But your name is deena too! Just different spelling .. :D

Charissa Jennifer wrote: "The book came came out early in Aus, and I skipped to the end to see who she ended.. or didn't end up with..

But I probably shouldn't say it since it would spoil the book"

You are pure evil! I mean that in the best way but I think I am going to explode before Tuesday's release date.

Ferdy Dina wrote: "I can see why you think it's wiggy.

I guess if a guy that never grows old told me that he thought my mom was hot, and he thinks I look like her and pretty much I'm hot too... that's not weird to m..."

I hated how Jacob imprinted on Renesmee.. I threw the book when I read that not because I was Team Jacob.. it just made my skin crawl.. because to me Jacob loved Bella just as deeply and passionately as Edward did and then to have him imprint on Renesmee.. it's hard enough being in a relationship but even harder if your boyf's ex love is in the picture.. can you imagine how difficult it would be if your boyf's ex love is your own mother.. I feel sorry for Renesmee.. to me she just got her mother's left over and no matter that Jacob loves Renesmee more than anyone else it doesn't change the fact that her own mother was his first love.. and he fell in love with her mother which to me is a truer love than just magically imprinting on someone.
Christope/Dru situation is not as bad as Jacob/Renesmee but I just can't root for a love interest when he's lusted after and had romantic feelings for the mother.. I find it very difficult if I read about the love interest having past feelings for a friend of the heroine so you can imagine how bad it is when I read about them having past feelings for a close relation of the herione.
I know a lot people don't see things the way I do but I'm very specific I like the love interest to be loyal, to have no romantic connection to the heroine's relations/friends, to be as sexually experienced as the heroine (Ha! this is true in about 0.1% of books I read), to put the heroine first and to have not felt the kind of love he has for the heroine with anyone else... yea I know I'm asking for too much but a girl can dream.

P.s I just finished reading Reckoning.. it's good but i'm not quite sure how I feel about the end yet.

message 41: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria I am totally torn i really want her to choose graves but than again christophe would be heartbroken and vice versa and it is kinda weird that he loved dru's mother first that's just weird i would feel really weird if i were in the situation but than again apperantly christophe is hot and what not and im kinda leaning more and more onto him but i still want her to be with graves cause they've been through so much together and he's been with her from the begging. After her father died he was there for her even if at first he was like alittle kid and annoying but still i like his character a lot!! and i really want them to be together im pretty sure that if dru ends up with christophe i will be upset!:( And yes she HAS to be with somebody because if not than why lead on all us readers on this love triangle! its like a roller-coaster!!!
i dont know who to pick im just like dru " i dont know" i just hope that by the end of the book i will feel like it was a good finish regardless of who she chooses. i just hope lily st. crows explains it more on everything and leaves no loose ends and raps everything up!!! i dont want to feel at the end of the book like "what" or "no" or throw the book down of something lilth hope you wrote a great ending!!!!!

message 42: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Jennifer wrote: "The book came came out early in Aus, and I skipped to the end to see who she ended.. or didn't end up with..

But I probably shouldn't say it since it would spoil the book"

WOW kinda of a tease. pure evil.

message 43: by Becky (last edited Oct 27, 2011 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky The ending is pretty interesting. If somebody wants to start a thread discussing it (with spoilers, obviously), I'd be up for that, since I'm still processing it.

ETA: I started a new topic with spoilers for those of us who have already read the book, so that those who are still waiting for the Nov. 1st release date don't get spoiled (unless they want to, of course!).

message 44: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Ann-marie Morgan wrote: "I'm always torn apart when I try to decide what team I'm on. I mean, seriously, how can I whole-heartedly choose between two very promising (and, sadly, fictional) male love-interests when the book..."

Amen Sister <3

message 45: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Ann-marie Teaaaammmm Christophe !

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Reckoning (other topics)