100+ Books in 2016 discussion

2011 Lists > Lillie's 2011 100+ challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 54) (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments Excited to join in here. I challenged myself to read 50 books last year and managed to read close to 100. So, this year I am challenging myself to read 100. We'll see if I read over a 100 or not ;-)

I'll list the books I've read so far in the next post. I'll give them stars & keep a record of the page numbers. I might add reviews as well.

message 2: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 3* 326 pages
2. Housekeeping 2.5* 219 pages
3. Happy Ever After3.5* 333 pages
4. Indulgence in Death 3.5* 373 pages
5. Light Boxes 2.5* 149 pages
6. Doomsday Book 3.5* 578 pages
7. Warrior 4* 354 pages
8. Scoundrel 4* 400 pages
9. Rebel 3.5* 398 pages
10. Stranger 3.5* 463 pages
11. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 4* 384 pages
12. The Madonnas of Echo Park 4* 224 pages
13. Dreamfever 3.5* 362 pages
14. Jar City 4* 288 pages
15. Undead and Unfinished 1* 256 pages
16. Shadowfever 3.5* 594 pages
17. Snow Angels 2* 336 pages
18. Huckleberry Finished 1* 304 pages
19. The Remains of the Dead 2.5* 279 pages
20. Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship 3.5* 224 pages
21. The House on Mango Street 2.5* 128 pages
22. Silence of the Grave 3* 288 pages
23. The Sherlockian 3.5* 350 pages
24. Case Histories 4.5* 336 pages
25. The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant 2* 256 pages
26. The Draining Lake 4* 312 pages
27. 84, Charing Cross Road 5* 112 pages
28. Come, Thou Tortoise 3.5* 412 pages
29. The Tiger's Wife 3.5* 352 pages
30. Homicide My Own 1* 219 pages
31. The Secret of Lost Things 4* 349 pages
32. The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing: From the Files of Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator 4* 288 pages
33. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life 4* 220 pages
34. Gods Behaving Badly 3* 292 pages
35. The Ice Princess 4* 393 Pages
36. Collision Course 4* 199 pages
37. Last Night's Scandal 3* 361 pages

message 3: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 38. Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason Arctic Chill 3* 352 pages

Good solid mystery set in Iceland. Liked it.

message 4: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 39. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water for Elephants 4* 335 pages

Very good book, well written with a likable protagonist and love interest. Hated most of the parts involving the elephant though was expecting it. Are people really that cruel? A rhetorical question...glad I read it even though not a book I would've picked up on my own (for book club).

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 71 comments Lillie wrote: "39. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water for Elephants 4* 335 pages

Very good book, well written with a likable protagonist and love interest. Hated most of the parts involving..."

Not sure if you knew but movie coming out this weekend with Reese Witherspoon as lead female role.

message 6: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments Just saw an ad this past weekend, lol. I'm glad I read it before it came out.

Stephanie wrote: "Lillie wrote: "39. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water for Elephants 4* 335 pages

Very good book, well written with a likable protagonist and love interest. Hated most of the ..."

message 7: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 40. Treachery in Death (In Death, #32) by J.D. Robb Treachery in Death 4* 375 pages

Good solid read. I love her In Death series and feel that she always delivers.

message 8: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 43. The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch The Name of This Book Is Secret 4* 384 pages

What a fun book! Full of magic and adventure. Just perfect for the preteen crowd.

message 9: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 44. The Raphael Affair (Jonathan Argyll, Book #1) by Iain Pears The Raphael Affair 3* 272 pages

Good book for art lovers.

message 10: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 45. The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt The Summer Without Men 3* 182 pages

Skimmed too many pages for this to have been a great book. Liked what I actually read though. Wish those parts were expanded, hated her relationship part of book.

message 11: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 46. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman Saving CeeCee Honeycutt 4.5* 306 pages

Really enjoyed this feel good book. Read very much like a movie, a sweet coming of age book. I was transported to the South in the mid 60's.

Why didn't I rate a 5*? Not sure, except for the couple of times I was taken out of story, the rest kept me reading. Not a perfect book but throughly engaging. I may come back to change the rating.

message 12: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 47. The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman The Story Sisters 3* 325 pages

I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. It had all the makings of a story I like, sisters, magic, love, redemption but something was missing. Maybe it was too much of everything. At times it felt like everything and the kitchen sink had been thrown in. There are times when less is more.

That said, the writing kept me there till the end, sucked me in & I even cried a few tears. I managed to read it in a 24 hour period. Not bad. Will be reading Practical Magic by the same author.

message 13: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 48. A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8) by Jacqueline Winspear A Lesson in Secrets 3.5*

Good book, Maisie Dobbs is back to form. Not one of the best in the series but still enjoyable. The mystery seemed to be wrapped up a little too quickly for my taste but am looking forward to her next offering (next year??).

Lots of "buts" in this review, maybe that's why it rated only a 3.5 stars.

message 14: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 49. The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna The Year of the Hare 2* 194 pages

Not even sure how to review this one. Odd, very odd.

message 15: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 50. The Chalk-Circle Man by Fred Vargas The Chalk-Circle Man 3.5* 247 pages

Oddly intruiguing, entertaining. Felt as though the translation wasn't done by a native English speaker. Have ordered his next book.

message 16: by Lillie (last edited Jun 25, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 51. The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White The Trumpet of the Swan 3* 272 pages

Book read for mother-daughter book club. Had a good message. Would recommend it for the younger readers.

message 17: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 52. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire 391 pages 4*

Loved going back to this dystopian series. Only slightly annoyed at the "love" triangle. Think it would've better if it didn't exist.

message 18: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 53. It Happened One Season by Stephanie Laurens It Happened One Season 4* 384 pages

Fun, light read. Just the thing on these summer days.

message 19: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 54. Doc A Novel by Mary Doria Russell Doc: A Novel 3 1/2* 394 pages

I was expecting this to be a mystery novel ala the new Jane Austen mysteries only with Doc Holliday. I was mistaken. This is a historical novel of Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp and various other Dodge players.

The first several chapters did not engage me and I was about to put it away. I am glad that I continued reading it. And even happier that I was able to enjoy it once I changed my expectations of it.

message 20: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 55. The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) by Chris Ewan The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam 3* 238 pages

I enjoyed many aspects of this book, there were clever parts. I was hoping for just a bit more. I have the next book so hopefully it will be better.

message 21: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 56. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake 3 1/2* 397 pages

Fun light historical romance. Check any notions of reality when reading and enjoy the story.

message 22: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 57. Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord 3* 357 pages

Another light historical romance. Liked it slightly less then the first in the series (trilogy).

message 23: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 58. Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith, #1) by Julia Quinn Just Like Heaven 3 1/2* 384 pages

Brain candy. I might be ready to go back to more literary fair soon but I'm having fun for now :)

message 24: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 59. Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3) by Sarah MacLean Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart 2* 367 pages

Hate it when I get to the third book in a series and I'm wishing that they had left well enough alone. Disappointing.

message 25: by Lillie (last edited Jul 06, 2011 06:23PM) (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 60. Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger 3* 384 pages

Enjoyable read with a heroine who, unfortunately, occasionally bordered on stupidity.

message 26: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 61. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay 3*
390 pages

Wanted to love this book. sigh. The first book was terrific, the second was very good...oh, well. Didn't hate it, so that's a good thing.

message 27: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 62. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt The Sisters Brothers 4* 336 pages

Quirky, bizarre, funny western about brothers who are hired killers in 1851.

message 28: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 63. Ablutions Notes for a Novel by Patrick deWitt Ablutions: Notes for a Novel 2.5* 164 pages

Bizarre, unlikable narrator. Writing kept me reading though it was like a slow motion train wreck. Some laugh out loud moments.

message 29: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 64. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts Shantaram 4* 944 pages

Great book but could've been edited just a bit. Felt like Bombay was a character all its own. Got to know the city very well & the author's love of city came across throughout.

Only annoyance was that narrator believed himself heroic.

message 30: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 65. Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase Silk Is for Seduction 3* 384 pages

Not as strong as her previous books.

message 31: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 66. Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America 3 1/2* 381 pages

Beautiful writing, I felt transported to the past when America was young. Enjoyed Parrot's narrative far more than Olivier's. There was something slightly obnoxious about Olivier.

message 32: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 67. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly The Book of Lost Things 4* 470 pages

What a fabulous book. It was mixture of fairy tales, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. The story had a great flow, I cared about the young boy and the writing was imaginative. I even enjoyed the exploration of the fairy tales used in the book at the end of the story.

message 33: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 68. The Lady Matador's Hotel A Novel by Cristina Garcia The Lady Matador's Hotel: A Novel 4* 311 pages

What a great writer! A friend compared her to early Isabel Allende and I agree. Will be on the lookout for her other books.

69. The Women in Black by Madeleine St John The Women in Black 3.5* 142 pages

Very slim book set in 1950s Sydney about a group of women who work in a department store. Read like a script for a movie. If there's a movie out there, I wouldn't be surprised.

70. Original Sin (Sally Sin Adventures, #1) by Beth McMullen Original Sin 3* 304 pages

Light, no brainer summer read.

71. The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma The Map of Time 1.5* 611 pages

Haven't read too many clunkers but this one sure qualifies. Started out interesting but then it got lost, bogged down. Not worth the time. Also felt deceived by summary. Thought I would be reading about HG Wells and time travel.

72. Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3) by Ann Aguirre Shady Lady 4* 224 pages

Fun addition to the Corine Solomon series. Glad to hear that she'll be writing two more. Love her other series as well, Sirantha Jax (next one's out in September).

message 34: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 73. The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin The Pleasure of My Company 4* 163 pages

Love the way Steve Martin writes. Very enjoyable novella overall. A little rushed at the end. Will be looking for his other books.

message 35: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 74. Starting from Happy A Novel by Patricia Marx Starting from Happy: A Novel 1* 215 pages

Ugh! Could've saved some trees with this one.

message 36: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 75. A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True 2* 351 pages

I wish I could say I even remotely liked this book. I wanted to, I really did. Oh, well...

message 37: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 76. Nemesis by Jo Nesbø Nemesis 4 1/2* 474 pages

What a gripping mystery! I can usually figure out what is going on or who's done it fairly quickly but not this time. Each time I thought I figured it out, the kalaidescope shifted and I was left in the dark. Fantastic!

Only reason it wasn't 5* was because of the continued neo-nazi red herring. Wish one of the Scandinavian mystery writers would keep any mention of that group out of their writing. It would be refreshing. Rant over.

message 38: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 77. 365 Thank Yous The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life by John Kralik 365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life 3* 228 pages

A read for my first book club. A little too sweet & saccharin for me. Great idea though. One should always thank people for taking their time to give us gifts - material or otherwise.

message 39: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 78. A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness A Discovery of Witches 3* 579 pages

Another this is the type of book I usually love but... Editing would've helped this book tremendously. We seriously didn't need page upon page of vampires not eating greens, making salads, raw meat, etc. Got it the first one or two times. And yoga? Really? That many pages devoted to it? Serious editing would've made me love this book. Will have to think about reading the sequel when it comes out. If I don't forget about it first.

message 40: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 79. The Radleys by Matt Haig The Radleys 4* 366 pages

Fun, fun book about an average British family who happen to be vampires. Loved the low-key approach to the story. There is drama but it isn't overwhelmingly dramatic (if that makes sense).

I look forward to reading Matt Haig's other books.

message 41: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 80. Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Blade 4* 320 pages

Am on a roll with vampire books. Another fun book. I was expecting to read about Elena and Raphael not Dmitri but it turned out to be just as good as the rest of the series.

message 42: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 81. Tempted (Eternal Guardians, #3) by Elisabeth Naughton Tempted 3.5* 400 pages

Enjoyed it while I was reading it but not memorable.

message 43: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 82. The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño The Savage Detectives 2* 648 pages

TG I'm done with this book. Not enough interesting parts to keep me glued. Started this back in April/May? Eh.

message 44: by Lillie (last edited Oct 05, 2011 12:06PM) (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 83. Aftermath (Sirantha Jax, #5) by Ann Aguirre Aftermath 2* 307 pages

Very disappointing book for me.

message 45: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 84. Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman Practical Magic 3* 286 pages

Good entertaining book. Was put off by some of the writing. It felt awkward. Liked the story even though it was wrapped up very quickly and in a neat bow.

message 46: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 85. Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1) by Harlan Coben Deal Breaker 3* 339 pages

Good mystery involving a sports agent. Think that's the first of it's kind I've read.

Very dated though. It was funny to read references to the early 90s.

message 47: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 86. The Keeper of Lost Causes (Serie Q, #1) by Jussi Adler-Olsen The Keeper of Lost Causes 3 1/2* 395 pages

Not sure if I really liked this book or not. I kept going back and forth, especially when the reason behind the crime was revealed. Felt myself rolling my eyes like a teenager. Yeah, the crime portion was unbelievably crazy.

On the other hand the detective portion, though a few of those sections were eye roll worthy (personal life), were solid. I liked the detective's interactions with his assistant/driver. And, I really enjoyed the setting, Denmark. Don't think I've read any other Danish books.

message 48: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 87. The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)  by Michael Scott The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) 3* 369 pages

Good solid fantasy read for middle school age. There were witches, sorcerers, magicians, Egyptian gods, were-animals, vampiric beings and a set of girl/boy twin protagonists. All in all, a fun fast read. Only caveat one should know is that this is the first in a six part series.

message 49: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments Haven't updated in awhile but have had a good run-read 6 books:

88. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Life of Bees 4* 302 pages ~ beautiful story

89. The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1) by Marshall Karp The Rabbit Factory 4* 602 pages ~ lots of fun, entertaining mystery

90. Bloodthirsty (Lomax & Biggs, #2) by Marshall Karp 4* 425 pages ~ the fun continues with the Hollywood detectives

91. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan A Visit from the Goon Squad 2 1/2* 341 pages ~ very disappointed in this prize winning book. I expected a novel, what I got was related short stories. Had I known that, I wouldn't have picked it up.

92. Flipping Out (Lomax & Biggs, #3) by Marshall Karp Flipping Out 3* 320 pages ~ good but not as good a mystery as the first two

93. Nox Dormienda A Long Night for Sleeping (An Arcturus Mystery) by Kelli Stanley Nox Dormienda:: A Long Night for Sleeping 3* 323 pages ~ interesting setting and time (Roman Briton), not such a fabulous mystery as ending came out of nowhere

message 50: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 84 comments 94. Cain by José Saramago Cain 4* 159 pages

A novella really. What an amusing, subversive, heretical book! Thoroughly enjoyable.

Do not read if you take your faith seriously.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ice Princess (other topics)
Huckleberry Finished (other topics)
The Madonnas of Echo Park (other topics)
Warrior (other topics)
Come, Thou Tortoise (other topics)
More...