The Alchemist The Alchemist discussion

The Alchemist

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Alch The Alchemist is one of my favorite books, it´s the book that I read when I sad...

Aynoit Ashor I enjoyed this book too. It gave me a new outlook on life. Like how some times we look for things that right in front of us. Or that everthing happens for a reason.

message 3: by Krizza (last edited Apr 26, 2011 03:35AM) (new) - added it

Krizza Sombra yeah right,also it gave me the idea of wanting or desiring something is not that bad..

BookCupid It does give a good advise. I wish I'd read it sooner.

message 5: by Krizza (new) - added it

Krizza Sombra its a wonderful book, among paulo's books, the alchemist is the best..

Fara We all agree that this book is very spiritual, the message is positive, go for what you want and pay attention to signs along the way. As a spiritual I think the universe talks to us all the times, but we are so distracted by triviality. The book brings up the difference between experience acquired by living your life to the fullest and experience acquired in books...I am still not clear of the author position on this, it changes from page to page, my take away from all this is to be aware of both, lived a balanced life between knowledge from books and experiences. Overall this is wonderful read, I came accross this boook at a time I needed a remimder of my own legend.

message 7: by Pollopicu (last edited May 07, 2011 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Pollopicu I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wanted to. To me The Alchemist is a glorified childrens book. It talks about real life common sense issues that are more geared to shaping the beliefs and minds of children. I don't understand how this book can change an adults outlook in life, unless of course they were raised by wolves.

...let me ask you a question..until reading this book, you never heard of the concept of "believe in yourself and things will happen?". I think that's what every child is taught from babyhood, "believe in yourself". So how is that something new?

Fara Mrs. Crane wrote: "I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wanted to. To me The Alchemist is a glorified childrens book. It talks about real life common sense issues that are more geared to shaping the beliefs and mind..."

Of course I have been told as a child that I can accomplish whatever I want. I have read the books...but life happens and sometimes one needs a remimder that you still can.
This book reads like a children story, yes...fable, repetition etc...when I read it I liked it not because I didn't know about the subject but because it came as a voice that I needed to hear at this moment in my life...
The sky is blue from what we see on Earth, after a few years on this planet it becomes part of the surroundings until a glorious sunny day brings out the best shade of blue and we are remimded that the sky is beautiful, that nature is beautiful...never to be taken for granted...
after a few blow in this life a simple children book can give an adult hope, and avoid the therapist's bill.
This is my personal experience.

Pollopicu Well if that's what it did for you, that's great. Personally, I felt the story was too elementary and people read way too much into it. I honesty can't understand it. But hey, if you guys like it, rock on.

Susan I know I am in the minority, but I didn't like it. It was too simplistic, it felt condescending and preachy, and it bored me. Oh well, we can't all love the same books.

Irene I think this was a good book for a general audience. I am glad I read it so I compare it with the movie.

Danielle Samson I listened to this book on CD. It was read by Jeremy Irons and it was fabulous. The message was certainly simple but I didn't think it was simplistic. It was a wonderful reminder of a basic life premise. I don't think I would have enjoyed it quite as much had I read the book. It was very much about Jeremy's voice in the story for me.

message 13: by Christos (last edited May 11, 2011 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Christos Tsotsos The Alchemist is typical of Coelhos writing. Personally I do not like anything that contains mysticism unless it is done in the fantasy genre (even then i prefer not to take it seriously). Maybe that is because I prefer writers to be more down to earth and attuned to human, social, adult issues, unless they are writing a children’s book which Coelho is not. I do not understand the fuss with him and his work in general. I think he is marketed well but fails to fall within what I would call serious deep thinkers. Coehlo is a best seller type of writer that many will forget once the fashion wears off. As for the central idea of the book I believe that it is a fairytale. Although i agree you should believe it, it is wrong to expect that if you want something really a lot in life and you are persistent you will achieve it. It is a misconception, a wishful thinking and unrealistic for the vast majority of humans. To not find, or achieve a vocation can be more dramatic, and the reasons behind it are far more interesting than some kid who went on a pilgrimage and became a man. Superficial waste of words. Sorry for being harsh this is only an opinion.

Angie When I read it, it reminded me about a short story in one of my elementary school books, with the exception that here they put some Bible characters and a spiritual developement in the protagonist.

Shyam One of the most inspiring books I have ever read! Maybe I am this happy optimistic 'kid' at heart who loves happy endings..but it feels to good to read that 'you have the power to change your destiny' and in this so called cold and practical life we live in I guess it feels so wonderful to get lost in children's fables and silly hopes and dreams for a while..

Book'd One of the best books ever....

Blanca I agree with everyone who gives a thumbs up to this book.
As I read it, waiting for my mom to finish grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, I came to a very significant realization. Well I mean, reading Siddhartha and about Buddhism, I learned a lot about enlightenment, but The Alchemist reminded me of it. Anyway, as I read it, I sort of came face to face with the answer to a lot of my problems and worries.

message 18: by Maja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja It is still my favorite book ever. I loved the message of it and it got me through some hard times!

Yazid (Ciel) the reason i stay reading this book is actually because of the writing style.. simple yet beautiful.

Juliandra Mrs. Crane wrote: "I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wanted to. To me The Alchemist is a glorified childrens book. It talks about real life common sense issues that are more geared to shaping the beliefs and mind..."

Your post summarizes my view on The Alchemist as well, Mrs. Crane! I feel as though I could read it one day in the future where it may have some monumental effect on my outlook on life. However, when I did pick this book up to see what all the craze was about, I was let down as well. A simple children's tale, highlighting what common sense we all should have learned by the time our adult years have formed.

Other books that are a waste of time:
"Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"
"He's just not that into you"

If you are finding things out about life/yourself/inter-relationships from these, that's really great and I am pleased. However, it worries me if the simple theories/practices explained are coming as news to anyone. Common sense. It can not be taught in PSYC 306A in prestigious Universities, however it is a mandatory credit to be successful in life.

Mohanned Alsayed An amazing inspiring book with a clear message "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it".

MariЯna Yordanova Susan wrote: "I know I am in the minority, but I didn't like it. It was too simplistic, it felt condescending and preachy, and it bored me. Oh well, we can't all love the same books."

Exactly!

Hayam Kfaia kda wahmayaaaaaaaaaaaa l2b3d 7d

Sujatha Even though this was one of the highly recommended book i just cant bring myself to read beyond a couple of pages and lose interest within no time.

Alipz this book is by right ok in my view..it is very inspirational indeed~

message 26: by Rose (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose Ann If you are up for something inspiring read The Travelers gift by Andy Andrews. It will leave you feeling like you can achieve anything.

Katie I loved this book and wish I would of read it while I was in high school. Although it is never too late, it does make it difficult to change your course the older and more "settled" you get. I hope to pass on the idea of a "personal legend" to my nieces and nephews!

Sirarpi I'm impressed by this book!It gave me power to follow my dreams and to do everything needed to achieve my goals...

BABAK Alch wrote: "The Alchemist is one of my favorite books, it´s the book that I read when I sad..."

me too! It is like a river which washes wrong thinks!

Katherine I have read The Lachemint countless of times. I have been fortunate enough or maybe its just one of those signs again, but I happen to read it at different stages of my life. I get something different from it every time. I love this book but until one is ready to accept what is "written," they'll never get it.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "I know I am in the minority, but I didn't like it. It was too simplistic, it felt condescending and preachy, and it bored me. Oh well, we can't all love the same books."

Totally agree with you - I also found this book very 'preachy' which for me was extremely annoying....

QueenAmidala28 I didn't like this book at ALL! Mr. Cohelo has much better novels than this one! Try reading Veronika Decides to Die or Sixteen Minutes! Those are fantastic!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Lydia wrote: "I didn't like this book at ALL! Mr. Cohelo has much better novels than this one! Try reading Veronika Decides to Die or Sixteen Minutes! Those are fantastic!"

Thanks - I had almost decided that didn't want to read any of his other books.

Aryan why so

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Because I found The Alchemist extremely annoying with it's for me 'overly preachy retoric. I didn't particularly like Cohelo's writing style and have to admit to being very glad it was such a short novel. That said, I will now consider reading some other of his works before totally giving up on him as an author 'for me'.

Aryan well thats true that its short .....its quite dynamic rt?

QueenAmidala28 Are you guys reading Cohelo in the original Spanish or the translated English versions. I heard the Spanish is much more poetic. . . therefore I'm trying to learn Spanish right now :) Also because most of my favorite authors are of Latino origin (aka Allende, Cohelo)

Aryan no m reading in english.

message 39: by Uzli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Uzli Mn i read it in indonesian. wondering what is it like in french.

message 40: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy This book felt like I was being beaten over the head with "wisdom". I had the same feeling when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull back in the day. Trite.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Judy wrote: "This book felt like I was being beaten over the head with "wisdom". I had the same feeling when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull back in the day. Trite."

Well put - couldn't agree more. Seems like people either love or hate this book...

Christos Tsotsos Lydia wrote: "Are you guys reading Cohelo in the original Spanish or the translated English versions. I heard the Spanish is much more poetic. . . therefore I'm trying to learn Spanish right now :) Also because ..."

The original text is in portuguese... you got time to switch classes?

I read it in greek.

Christos Tsotsos Carol wrote: "Because I found The Alchemist extremely annoying with it's for me 'overly preachy retoric. I didn't particularly like Cohelo's writing style and have to admit to being very glad it was such a short..."

Carol all Cohelo writing is like that... mysticism and superficial horseshit

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, that probably just about sums up my feelings after reading this, my 1st book by Cohelo... That said, I do appreciate that there are LOTS of people out there that love him.... Different strokes for different folks as they say....

Matar Mohammad It is one of my favorite and also one of the finest . drama , passion , mystery and a very impressive ending. It is Cohelo's best.

Shannon The Alchemist didn't change my life, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it was a great read.

Lester Ballard This book should have been burned when it was a manuscript and there was only one copy.

MariЯna Yordanova Lester wrote: "This book should have been burned when it was a manuscript and there was only one copy."

I admit I didn't like the book, but I should also admit that I strongly disagree with such an extreme statement mainly because of two reasons:

1. “No two persons ever read the same book.” Edmund Wilson

and

2. "Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people" Heinrich Heine

Medieval times are far so I think we do not need books to be burnt, we have the right to like or dislike them, but unfortunately one knows if one likes a book only after reading it.

Christos Tsotsos MariЯna wrote: "Medieval times are far so I think we do not need books to be burnt, we have the right to like or dislike them, but unfortunately one knows if one likes a book only after reading it. ."

Second that...

message 50: by D.E. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.E. I think in this discussion what we're running into is that not only are there widely differing genres, all called "novels", but each person looks for a different experience in reading one. Someone who looks for a thriller type experience is going to be bored with The Alchemist. So when someone loves the book and recommends it to someone who likes to read something very different, they are lured by the word of mouth/enthusiasm and read it.

The Alchemist is a fable, or "inspirational novel." It is written so that those looking for inspiration can derive many different messages from it. It is plainly and intentionally symbolic, mystical and indefinite or suggestive. It works and helps many, and that would be the ultimate test of an inspirational work!

Self-promo: I write inspirational fiction which I try to first and foremost make work as stories. Search for me if you like the spiritual/Native American genre; I just published my first work, an illustrated novelette. Note: the language is very simple and formal, to reflect the culture of that time just before Europeans arrived in No. America.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Alchemist (other topics)