The Last Song The Last Song discussion

The last song as a book and as a movie

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »

Mahmood Melebari So i would like to know how you feel about it when you read it and when you watch it .

For me

As a book

I was unhappy first while reading cause i thought its a romantic story and i didnt like ronni until steve sickness start then i feelt the joy of the book with all the relation values it dose cover . and how people can change over nigt or days or like in this book over a summer .

As a movie

I totally hate it they did the wrong show out of it they erase alot of good short and part of the story
and to put milly as ronnie that was the bigest mistake .

Kristen Book: I hated Ronnie for like the first half of the book, but then by the end I loved her. I also loved the message in it. Great story. I definitely want to read more Nicholas Sparks.

Movie: Pure crap. They took out SO much that it only resembles the book because of the character's names and the basic premise of the story. Oh, and the title, of course.
Sadly, I think Miley was the high point of the movie - and that really isn't saying alot since I basically hate her...I had a little hope going in since I hate both Miley and I hated Ronnie at the beginning of the book, but...yeah...not so much...

Mahmood Melebari Kristen wrote: "Book: I hated Ronnie for like the first half of the book, but then by the end I loved her. I also loved the message in it. Great story. I definitely want to read more Nicholas Sparks.

Movie: Pure ..."

Am glad that am not the only one who hate miley and the movie . and you are totally right they did rape off the book and also the story been changed alot like the church thing with will and scote why its endup to be stever at the movie ?!

Kristen I understand it's Hollywood, so they MUST remove all things Christian when possible, but the movie didn't even make sense since they did that. It was the whole point of the story. Idiots...I don't know why they can't leave well enough alone.

Jessica I don't know if any of you all know this, but this movie/book was written specifically for Miley Cyrus. From what I remember, she and her family went to Nicholas Sparks and asked him to write a screenplay for a movie that she could be in. She even picked out her character's name. Fun fact: the screenplay and the novel were finished being written on the same day. So since Nicholas Sparks writes or helps write all of the screenplays for his books being made into movies, if anything was taken out it was partly his decision.

That being said, I'm not trying to defend the movie or anything. I too was a bit disappointed with it. But Will was very nice to look at, so it was worth it :)

Mahmood Melebari Thanks Jessica for the info . and really milly did that !!! and i like the will comment ;) thanks for passsing by

Kristen Jessica wrote: "I don't know if any of you all know this, but this movie/book was written specifically for Miley Cyrus. From what I remember, she and her family went to Nicholas Sparks and asked him to write a scr..."

Really? That's kind of sad that he had so much say in the movie when it was so totally inferior to the book...

"But Will was very nice to look at, so it was worth it :)"

LOL

Mahmood Melebari This is totally unfair you all got to watch will and the movie had no hot girls so i can look at them .

And please no one tell me that you had miley :)

Kristen Mahmood wrote: "This is totally unfair you all got to watch will and the movie had no hot girls so i can look at them .

And please no one tell me that you had miley :)"

lol, if it's any consolation, I didn't think much of Will.
Now, Channing Tatum in Dear John, on the other hand.... :D

Mahmood Melebari Good for you .

Robin Channing Tatum reminds me of a Brando. I saw him in Step Up, not my usual genre of movie, but he was good, and I think that was his first acting role.

Kristen Robin wrote: "Channing Tatum reminds me of a Brando. I saw him in Step Up, not my usual genre of movie, but he was good, and I think that was his first acting role."

I usually like dancing movies, but I didn't like that one so much...
Loved him in GI Joe!

Robin Never saw G. I. Joe, or his latest one, either.

Kristen I loved GI Joe.

Which one was his latest? Was it The Dilemma? He wasn't the main person in it, so I'm not sure if that's what you mean.
But, that one kind of ruined him a little for me - did not like him in it, at all(but I wasn't crazy about the movie, either...)
He really needs to stick to action/drama, lol

message 15: by Robin (last edited Apr 23, 2011 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin The Eagle is the role that is getting panned. Also saw that he will be in 21 Jump Street in the lead role, hope that isn't Johnny Depp's role, the one that put Depp on the map, so to speak.

Faith DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY: I read The Last Song and absolutely LOVED it, since I'm a teen and it was about teenagers. So I wanted to read more Nicholas Sparks, and found A Walk To Remember, and loved that, too. I read Dear John and liked it OK, then preceded to the Notebook and got very bored. Then after that, ALL his other books were about adults, even his new books. I am disappointed. I want him to write more teen novels. Waiting for one to come out!

Kristen Robin wrote: "The Eagle is the role that is getting panned. Also saw that he will be in 21 Jump Street in the lead role, hope that isn't Johnny Depp's role, the one that put Depp on the map, so to speak."

OH! That's right! I've been wanting to see The Eagle....

message 18: by Sababa (last edited Apr 24, 2011 05:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sababa The book was simply too good to describe in words. It moved me.
Movie - I watched 30 minutes, hated every moment of it. Abd then I didn't finish it. I just didn't want that awful memory in my mind. I couldn't let the movie tarnish my perspective of the book.

Mahmood Melebari Sababa wrote: "The book was simply too good to describe in words. It moved me.
Movie - I watched 30 minutes, hated every moment of it. Abd then I didn't finish it. I just didn't want that awful memory in my mind..."

i really wish if i did the same .

Sharon Watkins Sababa wrote: "The book was simply too good to describe in words. It moved me.
Movie - I watched 30 minutes, hated every moment of it. Abd then I didn't finish it. I just didn't want that awful memory in my mind..."

Sababa, I agree with you. The book was really, really well written and the story was amazing. The movie, ick. In my opinion, the movie hurt the book. The whole point was about the church and what really happened. The movie concentrated too much on the character, Ronnie, who was played by Miley Cyrus. Miley's acting hurt the movie as well. It just wasn't a movie role that I personally think she was mature enough to play. Nicholas Sparks is a wonderful author and I love his books. Keep up the great writing Nicholas!

Robin The book was okay, not one of his best, imho. When I heard Miley was in it. I was not one of those who wanted to see her acting chops.

Mahmood Melebari After reading all your comments i think am not the only one who hated Miley on the movie and you all missed the church part .

Thanks for this lovely comment

Juliet book- I really enjoyed the book, but I didn't really like Ronnie's character. I liked reading the book from all different perspectives ie Ronnie, then Steve, then Marcus etc.
movie- Miley Cyrus ruined the whole thing for me.

Mahmood Melebari Juliet wrote: "book- I really enjoyed the book, but I didn't really like Ronnie's character. I liked reading the book from all different perspectives ie Ronnie, then Steve, then Marcus etc.
movie- Miley Cyrus rui..."

You and i both agree on that . I didnt really loved Ronnie in the book but i keept reading before Steve character its really amaized me .

And am 100% with you Miley Cyrus ruined the movie thing

Faith You guys do know that Nicholas Sparks wrote the Last Song specifically FOR Miley, right? You know, he wrote the screenplay before the actual book? You have got to give her props.

Juliet Faith ♫The Sour Patch Girl♫ wrote: "You guys do know that Nicholas Sparks wrote the Last Song specifically FOR Miley, right? You know, he wrote the screenplay before the actual book? You have got to give her props."

Doesn't change how bad her acting was, sorry.

Mahmood Melebari Faith ♫The Sour Patch Girl♫ wrote: "You guys do know that Nicholas Sparks wrote the Last Song specifically FOR Miley, right? You know, he wrote the screenplay before the actual book? You have got to give her props."

Yes i been told soo ,, but i still found it bad acting sorry , i belive Nicolas had a great expectations in her .

Shirley I just finished listening to the unabridged book and watching the movie.

I thought Sparks caught her "life attitude" perfectly. The book was great and I enjoyed the movie in spite of Miley.

My daughter had that same attitude and it NEVER got better...sure hope Miley's parents have better luck.

Mahmood Melebari Chichi wrote: "the movie did not do the book justice. The movie was totally different. I loved the book, I felt for Ronnie. She had all that pain and anger bottled up."

I like how ronnie react in the book . but to be justic my hole idea and reading was just about steve for me he was the major part in the book .

Ma. Lalaine I read the book first. Sparks obviously write it for Miley else he won't dedicate it to Cyrus family. Hehe. I do not like the movie. I wished Miley turned her hair purple.

Mahmood Melebari Ma. Lalaine wrote: "I read the book first. Sparks obviously write it for Miley else he won't dedicate it to Cyrus family. Hehe. I do not like the movie. I wished Miley turned her hair purple."

the purpel hair was missing the most major charecter was the church guy and he also was missing !!

As book its far way better ;)

Michelle The movie had a lot of potential to be as sad as the book. My mistake before watching the movie was that I expected it to be like The Notebook. Cyrus' acting is terrible, and mediocre at best. I didn't shed a single tear during the movie. The illness and death of the father was not nearly as dramatic as it should have been and it did not reflect the book at all.

Fareeha Michelle wrote: "The movie had a lot of potential to be as sad as the book. My mistake before watching the movie was that I expected it to be like The Notebook. Cyrus' acting is terrible, and mediocre at best. I di..."

i kind of agree to that but only a little. i did also expect it to be like the notebook but i still think it was a good movie. i think the father being sick was very sad and i think that the actors did a really good job. it wasnt as good as his other books that were transformed into movies but still good.

Shannon I haven't seen The Notebook so I wouldn't have a clue about whether or not The Last Song would be like it. I honestly thought that Miley was ok in The Last Song. Not brilliant but ok. I cried heaps during the parts where the father was sick in the movie, it was really sad. Overall the movie was good. I liked the book better though....I can't believe that they cut out the preacher guy and Ronnie's purple streak in her hair. I cried more reading the book than watching the movie when usually it is the other way around for me (because I can see the story coming together).

Mahmood Melebari Carrie wrote: "I agree with Mahmood...the biggest two problems I found was that Ronni was supposed to be more of a punk and the purple streak in her hair bothered me because it wasn't there. The thing is if this ..."

True Said

Mahmood Melebari Michelle wrote: "The movie had a lot of potential to be as sad as the book. My mistake before watching the movie was that I expected it to be like The Notebook. Cyrus' acting is terrible, and mediocre at best. I di..."

I totaly agree i dont know how i foget about the dad sicknes in my comment i mean in the book i was really touched by that steve story more then ronni it self but in the movie it was so short and meanless

Mahmood Melebari Shannon wrote: "I haven't seen The Notebook so I wouldn't have a clue about whether or not The Last Song would be like it. I honestly thought that Miley was ok in The Last Song. Not brilliant but ok. I cried heaps..."

Will if you did watch the notebook you will change your comment completly

Lauren book: pretty good. i enjoyed it, but they "fell in love" in like 7 days (I counted)

movie: a disgrace and the acting was weak. i honestly tried to give Miley a chance...but she failed (i don't mean to offend those who liked it)

Mahmood Melebari Lauren wrote: "book: pretty good. i enjoyed it, but they "fell in love" in like 7 days (I counted)

movie: a disgrace and the acting was weak. i honestly tried to give Miley a chance...but she failed (i don't m..."

As long as i go throw the reply ,,, no one really like her

Crissa Santos Movie: Horrible, left out a lot of parts and some characters.
Book: I LOVED it. Brought me to tears at the end.

Juliet Lauren wrote: "book: pretty good. i enjoyed it, but they "fell in love" in like 7 days (I counted)

movie: a disgrace and the acting was weak. i honestly tried to give Miley a chance...but she failed (i don't m..."

exactly what I was thinking, I didn't love the book but I enjoyed it, and I absolutely HATED the movie.

message 42: by Zoha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoha I didn't like the movie.
It wasn't like the book and Miley was in it.

Lindsey If they would have casted anyone else BUT Miley, it could have been a good movie... She is a horrible actress!! I felt like the dad, brother, and Liam carried the movie...

message 44: by Erica (last edited Jun 14, 2011 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erica MOVIE:

HATED IT!!! They totally cut major scenes from the book out and completely rewrote an entirely different story. The ending was terrible, I was hoping to see him walk into the studio in NY and surprise her. Miley was a horrible Ronnie, the acting was terrible. and what happened to the priest, his best friend????? JUST HORRIBLE!! I was actully in a bad mood after watching the movie too!

Book:

LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! I always get into Nicholas Sparks books, and this one was a true tearjerker. Still The Notebook is #1 for me.

message 45: by Ley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ley Mesina I really enjoyed this book, so when the movie came out I had to watch it...and, unfortunately, I was disappointed. I thought the film was just OK. They changed the storyline and also left some parts out. I honestly didn't see what was wrong with leaving the storyline the way it was in the book. *SPOILER* What angered me more was the fact that they left the blame on the fire on Steve instead of Marcus, so he died without really clearing his name; whereas in the book they identified who really caused the fire.

Thanks,
Ley Mesina
Author of Reborn (A Goddess of Night Novella: Book One)

Tânia I really enjoyed the book, the movie not so much. It was just ok. Pretty disappointed to notice they missed important parts of the story, not to mention the characters that just vanished. As for Miley Cyrus playing Ronnie, it totally ruined the movie for me... GRRR!!! Not saying that she was bad, actually it kinda surprised me but, again, just an ok acting. I remember watching the movie and thinking... she's not Ronnie AT ALL! I think that pretty much sums it up.

Robin I read parts of the book, found Ronnie to be kind of spoiled in my estimation. Am glad that I did not see the movie. Not one of my favorite Nicholas Sparks books.

Elizabeth Jacques I love the book and the movie! I really think Miley Cyrus fits Ronnie's character.

Danielle Kristen wrote: "Mahmood wrote: "This is totally unfair you all got to watch will and the movie had no hot girls so i can look at them .

And please no one tell me that you had miley :)"

lol, if it's any consolati..."

i agree i would rather watch channing tatum in Dear John then will in the last song

message 50: by Michael (last edited Jun 27, 2011 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Jenkins The book did the story justice, the movie was lame to me. The book also described Ronnie friends, unlike the movie. I don`t think Molly did a good job with the movie at all, they should have hired a better actress.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Last Song (other topics)