Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > Suspense/Thriller/Mystery Book Suggestions?

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 109 comments Do you guys know any good suspense/thriller/mystery novels that are clean?

message 2: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (BethALM) | 67 comments My favorite cozy mystery... The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Aimee (Getting Your Read On) (GettingYourReadOn) | 16 comments Mary Higgins Clark and Carol Higgins Clark both write murder mysteries and they are clean. Not terribly full of suspense though, if you are looking more for that.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Earl | 4 comments Anne Perry has a couple of great series about detectives in Victorian England that are very clean and enjoyable.

message 5: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 109 comments I've just started reading The Cat who Dropped A bombshell By Lilian Jackson Braun. It's the latest book in the Cat Who Series. It's a really really easy and simple read, and what you would call a cozy mystery. I've read some reviews by people who think that the last few books were written by someone else because the writer is most likely dead since she was born in 1913, and they think the earlier books are better then these ones. This one is okay so far. I like the whole concept that the writer is getting help from his cats to solve murders, it's so cute.

Anyways, thanks for your suggestions.

message 6: by Janet (last edited Apr 17, 2011 12:35AM) (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
Gabriella wrote: "Do you guys know any good suspense/thriller/mystery novels that are clean?"

I second Beth's recommendation on the #1 Ladies series. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith is the first, and The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (#11 I think) just came out in March. It is delightful, but not really suspenseful. It's more a slice of life series, set in Botswana, using some rather simple dilemmas for the detectives to solve.
Another very clean, cozy mystery series for those that may be interested is the Mrs. Pollifax series. The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax She is an older woman that is supposed to just be a courier for a government agency, but always ends up embroiled in truly dangerous situations. There's more action in these stories, but she uses her wits instead of guns, so there's rarely blood. (It's a pretty good travelogue also, as she travels the world throughout the series.)

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele Joanne Fluke has a series out that combines mystery with food! Yum. They won't tax your brain, but if you need a book to just escape with, these are a good choice. Clean, too.

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Willis (MarilynsMuses) | 15 comments Lilian Jackson is not dead. She is in her 90's and not writting anymore. She did write all the Cat Wo... Books herself. I read them all a long time ago and just recently reread some of them. Love them again.
I LOVED the Mrs. Polfax series. You don't have to sit in a rocking chair just because you are older. This lady gets in all sorts of scrapes and comes out on top.

message 9: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 7 comments I recently read Thieves of Darkness by Richard Doetsch which rated a three on my graphic rating (some stripping but no descriptive sex). The story was great and the descriptions were incredible. It is a thriller, not a cozy mystery like everyone else has suggested. The Last Surgeon by Michael Palmer was also a good thriller/mystery that rated a two on my scale (kissing and some fondling). I hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Jessica

message 10: by Robin (last edited Jun 03, 2011 09:28AM) (new)

Robin Allen | 15 comments Karen MacInerney's Gray Whale Inn mystery series is clean, as are the Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin books by M. C. Beaton. Old classics like Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes are always good.

message 11: by Bethany Rose (new)

Bethany Rose (TheBookCaterpillar) | 2 comments These are Christian suspense/thrillers;

(These two are spiritual warfare)
This Present Darkness <-The first one
Piercing the Darkness <-I'm about to read that one

(I haven't read theses but I've heard they're really good and I can't wait to read them)
The Oath
Showdown
Thr3e
Black

I think you would like anything by Ted Dekker .(:

Hope this helped.

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 11 comments I'm coming a little late to this thread, but had to put in my two cents because I didn't see anyone mention Mary Stewart. She was my favorite romantic suspense author as a teenager. All her books are clean, and because they were written in the 1950's it's like getting a glimpse into another era. I also loved Madeleine Brent's Moonraker's Bride and several other Brent books. Here's another: Golden Urchin. I guess you would call them historical romantic suspense, as they all take place in the Victorian era in exotic locales like China, Afghanistan, and the Australian outback.

Hope you enjoy these recommendations.

Best,

Suzanne Allain
Author of The Judas Postcard

message 13: by Victoria (last edited Jun 28, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Victoria | 5 comments Gabriella wrote: "Do you guys know any good suspense/thriller/mystery novels that are clean?"

I would have to recommend the Robert Liparulo series "Dreamhouse King's series"

This is very clean, and boy is it intense! It's geared towards YA's but I'm way older than that and loved every minute of it! There are 6 books to the series, not big reads I read them in a week although I am a quick reader if I have the time and I am into the book. :) This series is so different, so exciting, so fun. I highly recommend it.

message 14: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (Handmaiden) | 50 comments Georgette Heyer, best known for her Regency romances, also wrote several mysteries--at least nine--with a setting contemporary to when she wrote them (1930s-ish). I have read three, all clean, and from everything I know of her reputation, I believe the others are likely to be as well. To the best of my knowledge, they are all standalone.
The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer

---
Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series, set between the World Wars, is excellent. Whose Body? is the first one. Sayers was one of the first women to graduate from Oxford University, and was also friends with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien.
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers

---
G. K. Chesterton wrote a number of mysteries, mostly in short-story form. The best known ones are about Father Brown, a Catholic priest who solved crimes through his knowledge of human nature. This edition has all of the Father Brown stories in one volume:
The Complete Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton

---
Ellis Peters' historically accurate Chronicles of Brother Cadfael mysteries are set in the 1100s during a time of civil war in England and feature a former Crusader turned Benedictine monk. There are about 20 books in the series. I have read several, and so can/must say that a few of the books do have sex scenes, but it is almost too harsh to even call them that because they are very brief and non-graphic. There was also a television adaptation of several of the books, starring Derek Jacobi, that was pretty good though sometimes the plots were altered compared to the books. Both books and tv adapations are mostly PG, with a few perhaps a mild PG-13. A Morbid Taste for Bones is the first in the series (and is clean).
A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1) by Ellis Peters

---
The Franchise Affair, by Josephine Tey has a mystery that is not about murder, but rather slander and false accusations. (I think Tey's other books are also probably ok--I plan to try more sometime--but this is the only one I have actually read so far.) Some sexual elements are present thematically but not graphically.
The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant) by Josephine Tey

---
The Moonstone and The Woman in White, by Victorian writer Wilkie Collins. Both are standalone. These are two of the earliest detective/mystery novels, being published in the 1860s. (Also, the 1996 BBC adaptation of The Moonstone starring Greg Wise and Keeley Hawes was good; the 1997 BBC adaptation of The Woman in White starring Tara FitzGerald was not--I don't remember much detail of why it was not, except that they didn't follow the book well.)
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

---
In addition to the ones I have already mentioned, some of the authors from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction may be worth your looking into. Considering when they wrote, I think they are likely to be clean (though many are still on my to-read list, so I can't comment specifically). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_A...

Also, there is a mystery series based on the Murder, She Wrote tv series. I have not read any of these either, but it may be something to look into as well.
Gin and Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1) by Jessica Fletcher

Lastly, these are not books, but the "Foyle's War" British tv series is quite good. It is set during WWII and has a lot of historical research in it. I would say it ranges from PG-ish to mild PG13.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen I have notice classic older mysteries are very good, the newer ones even if called cozy usually have something snuck in that is against my moral compass. not always ,but a lot of times. I read one and do not get any more after that.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) | 91 comments The Beekeeper's Apprentice and series are wonderful, and if you're just looking for a bit of mystery/fluff, I LOVE the Amelia Peabody series.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) | 91 comments Also, Maisie Dobbs is wonderful. Sleepy mysteries.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments I too love the Amelia Peabody series. They are some of the most perfect summer reading I have ever enjoyed.

I also highly, highly, highly recommend the Flavia de Luce mystery novels by Alan Bradley. She is one of the most delightful detectives to come along in a very long while. These are very clean.

I also recently enjoyed a great little juvenile mystery City of Orphans by Avi. A lot of his historical fiction novels have an underlying mystery to the plot. I also greatly enjoyed The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.Although he writes at a middle grade level the stories are rich enough for adults. You'll just wish they didn't go so fast :)

An adult series that I have really enjoyed is the Matthew Shardlake mysteries by C.J. Sansom. They are set in Tudor England during the Reformation. There is a lot of Tudor-era swearing and the later books contain the occasional "f-word". It didn't bother me but you might want to read a chapter before committing to see if it will work for you. There is no sexual content. There is some violence since it was a violent time period. It is not glorified or edgy like a lot of contemporary mystery novels.

I'm glad you posted since it brought my attention to this thread. I'm excited to try some of the other recommendations.

message 19: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 12 comments I agree with Georgette Heyer, her books are great.

Helen MacInnes wrote some great spy/suspense novels. Love them.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) | 91 comments I've just discovered the Mrs. Pollifax series. Delightful!! And quite clean -- the premise is that a grandma gets bored, so naturally joins the CIA.

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Elizabeth wrote: "Also, Maisie Dobbs is wonderful. Sleepy mysteries."

Like them.

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 10 comments Which Georgette Heyer novel is the best? I would like my book group to try one.

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 12 comments They're all great except Penhallow. I really like Footsteps in the Dark and A Blunt Instrument.

message 24: by Amanda (last edited Oct 18, 2012 05:29PM) (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 22 comments I just read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It was really good - creepy without being too terrifying. I am not into horror or gore at all - this book would not fall into those categories. It is about Dracula/Vlad the Impaler so by nature there are some unpleasant descriptions, but they really were't described in gory detail or dwelled upon. The only sex in this book is merely implied - even in such a way that you aren't quite sure if the characters even had sex. This is a great October clean read!!

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindyLou50) I love many of the author's mentioned already but I have also enjoyed books by P D James and Cynthia Riggs.

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane (Diane_) | 7 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I've just discovered the Mrs. Pollifax series. Delightful!! And quite clean -- the premise is that a grandma gets bored, so naturally joins the CIA."

I too just discovered this fun series and am looking forward to reading more. One of my top all time favorites is the Amelia Peabody series. I am dragging my feet through the final four trying to make it last as long as possible. I don't want the series to end! Elizabeth Peters just turned 85 earlier this year. I have thoroughly enjoyed her work with her sharp wit and quick humor. Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane (Diane_) | 7 comments Heather wrote: "I too love the Amelia Peabody series. They are some of the most perfect summer reading I have ever enjoyed.

I also highly, highly, highly recommend the Flavia de Luce mystery novels by Alan Bradl..."

I love Flavia! The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie The next in that series is scheduled for early 2013. Can't wait! I am also enjoying the Mary Russell series tremendously. I believe I have found my niche primarily in the historical English mystery genre. Lots of wonderful clean reads in that group to be found.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Malena | 1 comments The short story sequel to my first new ebook is Halloween/Fall themed, and a very clean read.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Mothers-Kitc...

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen Karen wrote: "The short story sequel to my first new ebook is Halloween/Fall themed, and a very clean read.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Mothers-Kitc......"

Thanks.

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (BookwormHannah) | 47 comments The Dido Kent books by Anna Dean are very clean and enjoyable mysteries.

message 31: by C. (last edited Apr 28, 2014 10:00AM) (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments Victoria wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "Do you guys know any good suspense/thriller/mystery novels that are clean?"

I would have to recommend the Robert Liparulo series "Dreamhouse King's series"

This is very clean, a..."

Absolutely must second "The Dreamhouse Kings" series!

I would also suggest Close Up The Sky by James L.  Ferrell

and the incredibly fun Cozy Mystery... A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1) by Leigh Perry

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (BookwormHannah) | 47 comments Has anyone read the Laura Childs books?

message 33: by C. (last edited May 03, 2014 02:37AM) (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments Just finished two horror/suspense/mystery books by John Saul that were wonderful,no splatter-gore/explicit sex or profanity! anyone who knows of similar authors of 'clean' horror/suspense please let me know!

The Presence by John Saul

Midnight Voices by John Saul

message 34: by Rita (new)

Rita Campbell | 7 comments does anyone know of an author that writes like Vince Flynn but without the language?

message 35: by C. (last edited Oct 26, 2014 06:51AM) (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments I also really enjoyed.... Scene of the Climb by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley

message 36: by Edie (new)

Edie | 5 comments One of the easiest/best ways I have found of finding clean books is by going to christianbook.com and looking under the genre I am interested in. You can look for new releases or just the category. I have enjoyed Diane Noble, Lynette Eason, Ronie Kendig, Robert Whitlow, Dee Henderson (The O'malley series) and many more

message 38: by C. (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments Edie wrote: "One of the easiest/best ways I have found of finding clean books is by going to christianbook.com and looking under the genre I am interested in. You can look for new releases or just the categor..."

But many of us prefer 'Clean, but NOT Christian'.

message 39: by Edie (new)

Edie | 5 comments C. wrote: "Edie wrote: "One of the easiest/best ways I have found of finding clean books is by going to christianbook.com and looking under the genre I am interested in. You can look for new releases or jus..."

That is fine, but that does not eliminate me from mentioning it for those who do enjoy them, right? No offense meant.

message 40: by C. (last edited Nov 15, 2014 02:27AM) (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments Edie wrote: "C. wrote: "Edie wrote: "One of the easiest/best ways I have found of finding clean books is by going to christianbook.com and looking under the genre I am interested in. You can look for new rele..."

Of course not. :] I did not mean any offense either,just wish it was easier to get clean/secular suggestions when doing a search for clean reads at Amazon/elsewhere without the preponderance of results being Christian or Young Adult.

Makes me think someone needs to educate authors that many in the population who are not Christian, also do not appreciate vulgar language,graphic sex or grisly gore in our reading!

message 41: by C. (new)

C. (booklvr62) | 50 comments Dan Brown's thrillers are clean

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown

Angels & Demons  (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan Brown

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments I just finished Locked in Time by Lois Duncan. It's YA but I enjoyed it immensely and plan to read more by her. It's set in Louisiana and is a supernatural mystery. Very clean; I can't remember a single curse word and not even a hint of sex.

message 43: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8 comments I went through the list and did not find P.D. James. I love the depth to the Commander Adam Dalgliesh series characters and the complexity of the plots.

message 44: by Bj (new)

Bj Thornley | 1 comments Helen MacInnes wrote some dated but fun spy-type novels. I read them several years ago and am enjoying them again.

message 45: by Miki (new)

Miki The Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton is really good, although the earlier ones are the best.

message 46: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Darlington (cjdarlington) | 7 comments Sibella Giorello's Raleigh Harmon mystery series is awesome. Start with The Stones Cry Out.

message 47: by Ken (new)

Ken Stockton | 8 comments I think I read all of Alistair Maclean's thrillers back in the 70s, and as I recall, they were pretty clean.

I recently read The Auschwitz Escape, by Joel Rosenberg (a Christian author), and just started reading The Twelfth Imam. Due to the subject matter there are some scenes of very intense violence, but so far both have been clean, non-preachy, and gripping.

Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales by Randy Singer is a legal thriller with a little violence, no profanity, and no graphic sex. He is a Christian but not overly preachy. Ditto for Water's Edge, by Robert Whitlow.

Fly On the Wall, by Tony Hillerman, has some pretty suspenseful parts, along with what I would consider PG level profanity, some violence, and no sex. I've liked all of his books, but as crime/detective stories they contain violence, occasional swearing (no F-word) and no sex scenes that I recall.

message 48: by Ken (new)

Ken Stockton | 8 comments Just a follow-up on my previous comment about The Twelfth Imam: I've nearly finished it now and have found that it is very "preachy" after all, with much quoting of scripture and various Biblical-style manifestations, so for those who might find that off-putting, now you know.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (other topics)
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (other topics)
The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (other topics)
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (other topics)
Thr3e (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alexander McCall Smith (other topics)
Agatha Christie (other topics)
Karen MacInerney (other topics)
Arthur Conan Doyle (other topics)
M.C. Beaton (other topics)
More...