SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 14 comments his is a book coming out in May, it looks really interesting:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92...

message 3: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) I'm looking forward to this, too.

By the way, PanMacmillan released the prologue and first chapter of the book here.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I still need to get around to TC&TC one of these days...

message 5: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 14 comments Candiss wrote: "I'm looking forward to this, too.

By the way, PanMacmillan released the prologue and first chapter of the book here."

Nice :)

message 6: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 14 comments Ala wrote: "I still need to get around to TC&TC one of these days..."

I haven't read any of his stuff. This book just caught my eye.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only read Perdido Street Station by him, and I didn't like it at all.

But figure I'll give him another go and read TC&TC, since a lot of folks seem to have enjoyed that one more.

message 8: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (CrusaderZA) | 80 comments I'm waiting for a review copy from the local distributor promised me. I liked Perdido Street Station well enough, but it definitely fell in the "unlike anything I read before" category.

message 9: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments I am flabbergasted that you didn't like Perdido, Ala. Totally surprised by that.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I honestly had no "in" to the book. There's was no one I really cared about, as far as characters go.

The world and all was somewhat interesting, but the story itself was slow and boring.

message 11: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Fascinating. I just totally pegged you as someone who would have loved it. Go figure. What do I know?

message 12: by Angus (new)

Angus | 6 comments sorry to be the noob but... whats TC&TC? haha

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

The City & The City, Angus. :)

message 14: by Brad (last edited Jun 21, 2011 08:03PM) (new)

message 15: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) | 459 comments I think if ala listened to TC&TC he would have enjoyed it more. :p

*goes poof again*

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't gotten to TC&TC yet. Audiobook better than the actual?

message 17: by Evilynn (new)

Evilynn | 332 comments I'm almost halfway through Embassytown, and I wonder how well it works for people who aren't at least part linguistics and/or language nerds? (I am one, so I can't really tell ;)) I'm sure the plot will twist around a lot in the second half, but it is very focused on language in the first half at least.

message 18: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Evilynn wrote: "I'm almost halfway through Embassytown, and I wonder how well it works for people who aren't at least part linguistics and/or language nerds? (I am one, so I can't really tell ;)) I'm sure the plot..."

I've been thinking about that, too, Evilynn. I'm another linguistics/language geek, which is what set me to frothing when I learned Embassytown would focus on those subjects. I think I'd still enjoy it if my pet subject wasn't so centralized, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it quite as much or on as many levels.

message 19: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin I'm not a language geek, I'm just a linguist. I guess I'd better go pick the book up.

message 20: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments Just finished this. My initial reaction was pretty much "Omgomgomg a story that's C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner mixed with the "Darmok" episode of Star Trek: TNG and a hefty dose of "And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill's Side," by James Tiptree, Jr.!!! Plus, somehow ineffably Catherynne M. Valente's The Habitation of the Blessed, which is my favorite read of the year so far, and it addresses colonialism on a couple different levels. Totally awesome!" :D

My full review, wherein I try to be more measured in my assessment, is up on my blog.

message 21: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (psramsey) | 326 comments Oooo, you invoked Tiptree. Now I'll have to read this.

message 22: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments I pray I did not take her name in vain! Anybody else see what I'm going for?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Darmok, huh?

Easily one of my favorite episodes.

Now I must consider reading this.

message 24: by Evilynn (new)

Evilynn | 332 comments I thought of the Darmok episode too. I finished Embassytown over the weekend, and I'm still interested in seeing how well it works for people who aren't language geek-y. ;) I quite liked it, although I think Scar is still my favourite Miéville novel.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Evilynn wrote: "I thought of the Darmok episode too. I finished Embassytown over the weekend, and I'm still interested in seeing how well it works for people who aren't language geek-y. ;) I quite liked it, althou..."

I'm with you there on The Scar, Evilynn, one of my faves. This one is very different from his Bas Lag novels. I'm no linguist/language-geek but found his exploration of language and communication fascinating. Also, the way societies start to fragment under strain. As well as those works others have already cited it made me think of Janet Kagan's Hellspark - a different style but similar theme. Also thought the Ariekei were the most alien aliens I've seen in a long time!

message 26: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin Ah, Darmok. The episode that makes no linguistic sense, but is still lots of fun. I do hope Embassytown is more scientifically sound.

message 27: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (CrusaderZA) | 80 comments I finished Embassytown last night and posted a review. One of the toughest reviews I've done so far and I don't know if I actually make sense.

http://worldsinink.blogspot.com/2011/...

Let me know what you guys think.

message 28: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 202 comments Just picked this up from the library. Looking forward to starting it as I enjoyed Perdido and Un Lun Dun (still have to read the rest of his books).

message 29: by Marion (new)

Marion Sipe (MarySipe) | 12 comments Okay, any discussion that references "Darmok" is automatically fantastic. Full Stop. :-D

And now I want to read Embassytown. I was going to read TC & TC next, because it seemed like the place to start. I read Predido Street Station and had some major issues with the plot, but I hardly cared because of the worldbuilding.

message 30: by Destructo (new)

Destructo The Mad | 11 comments Ala wrote: "I haven't gotten to TC&TC yet. Audiobook better than the actual?"

I think the audiobook worked really worked well for TC & TC, if for no other reason than the narrator had the pronunciation down for the two cities and their two fictional languages.

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) I'm absolutely loving Embassytown. At almost halfway through, I find I'm leaving laundry unwashed, the house uncleaned, groceries unbought, just so I can read. What I really appreciate is the intelligence of the book, the way the author plays with language and words and the reality of language.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The City & the City (other topics)
Foreigner (other topics)
The Habitation of the Blessed (other topics)