Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Ebook freebies - act fast!

Comments (showing 201-250 of 5,682) (5682 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 2164 comments Becky wrote: "Are you still getting that nifty "you only have to buy X more books to get a free book" message? Because I logged on to my ARe account earlier tonight, and it wasn't there."

Still getting it on mine.

The entire universe holds together by virtue of occupying a tab on my browser, btw. If I close one tab? Just one? The universe asplodes.

;D

message 202: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Becky wrote: "Cleon wrote: "UGHH! I hate time zone! And why did they send the email before the promo was launched! Anyway, how many hours left is that? I am glad I only spent 8 $ just now."

Are you still gettin..."

I still got it. In fact, after I bought the books, I got my free book coupon for the 10 books I've accumulated. I used it successfully too.

message 203: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments Maybe they expire after a while? I had 7 more to buy to get the next coupon, but I haven't picked up anything but freebies on ARe for ages. I'll shoot them a message to be sure.

Kari, your entire universe on a browser tab sounds very Terry Pratchett. Which probably means that it's true. :P

message 204: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Becky wrote: "Maybe they expire after a while? I had 7 more to buy to get the next coupon, but I haven't picked up anything but freebies on ARe for ages. I'll shoot them a message to be sure.

Kari, your entir..."

It seems unlikely that they will expire. Maybe you should file a question to the Support Line?

message 205: by mc (new)

mc | 1419 comments Stupid question for you all? What is the difference between ARe and Fictionwise? Based on your comments, I just created an account at the former, but aren't they both consolidators of publishers/books?

message 206: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Well, they are different companies. So the coupon for ARe will not work on FW and vice versa. ARe specialized in romance books while FW carries books from different genres, including non-fiction. However, ARe collection is far more comprehensive than FW when it comes to M/M romance books.

message 207: by Becky (last edited May 27, 2011 08:22PM) (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments mc wrote: "Stupid question for you all? What is the difference between ARe and Fictionwise? Based on your comments, I just created an account at the former, but aren't they both consolidators of publishers/..."

They're just two different vendors. Like the difference between shopping at your local Borders or Barnes & Noble. (Assuming of course that you still have a local Borders.) They run different promotions. Fictionwise runs a lot of % off codes, ARe does rebates and freebies.

ETA: With Fictionwise it's always smart to check the Monday after a good code. They may theoretically expire on Sunday night, but they're often good for a day or two past the advertised expiration date. And you get 15% off most books for the first week it's available on Fictionwise. Stacking the automatic 15% with the coupon code can give you a really good deal.

message 208: by mc (new)

mc | 1419 comments Thanks, Cleon. I'll definitely check them out (and see if there's this rebate/discount that you've all mentioned, though it's not like I need to buy new books!)

message 209: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments mc wrote: "Thanks, Cleon. I'll definitely check them out (and see if there's this rebate/discount that you've all mentioned, though it's not like I need to buy new books!)"

If you're going to shop at ARe, wait for a couple of hours or wait until tomorrow. The rebate hasn't worked yet.

message 210: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 2164 comments They're both vendors. I've found some titles listed on ARe that weren't listed on fictionwise & vice versa, but essentially, I think their respective inventories are much the same.

They run different discounts, though. Fictionwise offers % off coupons pretty often (the current one is 45% off). ARe primarily uses a frequent buyer program in which you get a promo code for a free book for every 10 titles you buy. (The codes, btw, do expire.) ARe also occasionally runs these rebate deals wherein you pay full price at checkout but are then rebated a certain percentage in store credit (that you can also gift to others, btw, which is kinda cool).

Another big difference is the % discounts at fictionwise do not apply to Samhain titles, whereas the rebating deals and the frequent buyer program at ARe do apply to Samhain titles (read the fine print first to make sure, of course).

If I'm buying Samhain titles from a vendor rather than direct, going to ARe makes the most sense to me. You'll save the most $ there.

message 211: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Kari wrote: "They're both vendors. I've found some titles listed on ARe that weren't listed on fictionwise & vice versa, but essentially, I think their respective inventories are much the same.

They run differ..."

Yeppers! I am collecting Samhain titles on ARe this weekend.

message 212: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments ARe has great customer service. I've already heard back from them. She suggested that I clear my cache, and that it should always be in my shopping cart, too. So I checked in there and found it. I didn't lose anything! Whew.

message 213: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Becky wrote: "Maybe they expire after a while? I had 7 more to buy to get the next coupon, but I haven't picked up anything but freebies on ARe for ages. I'll shoot them a message to be sure.

Kari, your entir..."

I *think* some titles don't count toward it. It's happened to me before, but then showed up again the next time I bought.

message 214: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "ARe primarily uses a frequent buyer program in which you get a promo code for a free book for every 10 titles you buy. (The codes, btw, do expire.) "

The code for your free book shows up at the bottom of your reciept, so don't miss it, cause if you do you'll have to go begging to customer service. Personal experience, of course. ARe has great customer service, fortunately.

I'm just the idiot who used the code to buy a book I already had.

message 215: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "They're both vendors. I've found some titles listed on ARe that weren't listed on fictionwise & vice versa, but essentially, I think their respective inventories are much the same.

They run differ..."

If you buy Samhain from their website, do they offer any sort of discount, ever? Anyone know?

message 216: by mc (new)

mc | 1419 comments Anne wrote: "Kari wrote: "They're both vendors. I've found some titles listed on ARe that weren't listed on fictionwise & vice versa, but essentially, I think their respective inventories are much the same.

Th..."

My darling Anne. My sister. I have done this more times than I'd care to admit.

message 217: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments mc wrote: "Anne wrote: "Kari wrote: "They're both vendors. I've found some titles listed on ARe that weren't listed on fictionwise & vice versa, but essentially, I think their respective inventories are much ..."

See, this is why you don't shop online after the second beer in the evening. Sigh.

message 218: by mc (new)

mc | 1419 comments Hey. I do crap like that stone cold sober.

You know, as new as I am here, I have been so warmly included, and I appreciate that mightily, but all of these sale tidbits are KILLING my credit card statement!

I'm now scrolling through ARe and realizing that there are all of these PsyCop novels there, none of which I've read before. Dare I buy an entire series, having never read one? Which other authors have I been missing out on? :)

message 219: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments mc wrote: "Hey. I do crap like that stone cold sober.

You know, as new as I am here, I have been so warmly included, and I appreciate that mightily, but all of these sale tidbits are KILLING my credit card ..."

NEVER buy an entire series unless you've read the author before. Even then, it's a crap-shoot.

OTOH, I'd probabaly do it. :)

BTW, the way to stop reading so much? Start writing. It kills your reading time, LOL.

I love this group, too. :)

message 220: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments mc wrote: "Hey. I do crap like that stone cold sober.

You know, as new as I am here, I have been so warmly included, and I appreciate that mightily, but all of these sale tidbits are KILLING my credit card ..."

when it comes to Psycop. YES, buy them all ! Mwahahaha.

message 221: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments mc wrote: "Hey. I do crap like that stone cold sober.

Buy the first one, read it today or tomorrow, and then decide. The first one is fairly short-- 29,000 words according to ARe. They get longer after that, but it will give you a good idea of the characters and story lines.

I haven't done it with an ebook (yet), but I've had to do the "whoops, I bought this twice" bookstore walk of shame. No alcohol involved, just too many books and bookstores in one day. (Yes, I bought the same book twice in one day and didn't realize it until I unpacked my shopping bags that night.)

I feel really fortunate that I found this group. I've never had a review blog or discussion group that matched my tastes so closely. At this point, if you guys like it, and the blurb looks good, I'm jumping while the sales are good. Although I have to agree with mc, it's not doing my credit cards any favors!

message 222: by Lori K (new)

Lori K fictionwise 45% off code 052711

message 223: by Lora (new)

Lora | 76 comments Becky wrote: "Maybe they expire after a while? I had 7 more to buy to get the next coupon, but I haven't picked up anything but freebies on ARe for ages. I'll shoot them a message to be sure.

Kari, your entir..."

I don't believe that the number of books needed for a freebie ever expires (if you needed 7, you keep needing 7) but the freebie coupon does expire. I usually make sure I hold back one title when I know I am getting a coupon and then log back in and get that one for nothing right after I download the first set.

message 224: by Lora (new)

Lora | 76 comments mc wrote: "Hey. I do crap like that stone cold sober.

I won't tell you to buy the entire series all at once, but Jordan Castillo Price is a fantastic writer and the PsyCop novels rocked! Don't miss the opportunity to get started with her.

message 225: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments For those who like paperbacks, Dreamspinner just announced free US and International shipping on all books ordered from now to May 31st.

message 226: by Cleon (last edited May 29, 2011 09:19AM) (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Becky wrote: "For those who like paperbacks, Dreamspinner just announced free US and International shipping on all books ordered from now to May 31st."

REALLY!!! WOW! Damn, I already bought paperbacks from my local bookstore and the price is OUTRAGEOUS! Dreamspinner title;s are even more outrageous.

ETA: The outrageous price is only on my local bookstore, not from their site.

message 227: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Cleon wrote: "Becky wrote: "For those who like paperbacks, Dreamspinner just announced free US and International shipping on all books ordered from now to May 31st."

REALLY!!! WOW! Damn, I already bought paperb..."

Go Cleon!

message 228: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Becky wrote: "For those who like paperbacks, Dreamspinner just announced free US and International shipping on all books ordered from now to May 31st."

REALLY!!! WOW! Damn, I already..."

Too bad they don't have Josh' titles on Dreamspinner. lol.

message 229: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments MLR Free book this week is Danube Divide by Jardonn Smith.

message 230: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments Amazon has Marked by Joely Skye free for Kindle right now.

message 231: by Edina (new)

Edina Rose (edinarose) | 144 comments New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June

message 232: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Although since I haven't read anything recently, is it wise? Hmmmm.

message 233: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Becky wrote: "Amazon has Marked by Joely Skye free for Kindle right now."

Thanks, got it. :)

message 234: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Although since I haven't read anything recently, is it wise? Hmmmm."

Go, Anne! :D

message 235: by Blaine (new)

Blaine (BlaineDArden) | 1679 comments Wise or not ... I just spent $15 on books at Fictionwise ...
*sigh*
it's becoming an addiction.

And to think I still haven't finished Neil Plakcy's May read book :( (I can't help it that I can only read for 10 minutes at night before falling asleep)

message 236: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Go, Anne! :D"

Can't. Saving up for that thing in NC in September. (Must be good....)

message 237: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Go, Anne! :D"

..."

*is green with envy*. Events like this makes me really really wish I lived in US.

message 238: by Fehu (new)

Fehu | 148 comments Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Go..."

uhm, why? you can download the amazon- kindl freebe regardless of you country and fictionwise is open to anyone is it not?

Although all this sales are so not good for my wcredit card*sigh*

message 239: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Fehu wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Although since I haven't read anything recently, is it wise..."

No, I am jealous of the NC event not the sale or freebie. lol.

message 240: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Anne wrote: "Edina wrote: "New fictionwise coupon 060311, 50% all ebooks till 5th June"

Sweet!

Go..."

I wish you could go, too. :(

message 241: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 2164 comments I'm blowing the bank and my vacation time on RWA11. I *am* thinking about joining Sisters in Crime once I get back from NYC, though. Depends on ITR, honestly, and my level of GAH.

message 242: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "I'm blowing the bank and my vacation time on RWA11. I *am* thinking about joining Sisters in Crime once I get back from NYC, though. Depends on ITR, honestly, and my level of GAH."

It would be cool if you could go, too. I'm not even sure I'm going. How's the writing going, Kari?

message 243: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 2164 comments Hasn't been going, Anne. Just got back from visiting my folks for a couple days. I need to unbury myself from email & burn a master of the promo CD for RWA11 (before piteously begging my DD to do the copying, LOL)...and THEN, I have the whole weekend to write. YAY!

message 244: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments Kari wrote: "Hasn't been going, Anne. Just got back from visiting my folks for a couple days. I need to unbury myself from email & burn a master of the promo CD for RWA11 (before piteously begging my DD to do t..."

Cool! Aren't children wonderful little techies?

message 245: by Blaine (new)

Blaine (BlaineDArden) | 1679 comments Anne wrote: "Cool! Aren't children wonderful little techies? "

They can be :) Though you can strike the little when it comes to my men (16, 18, 20 and 51 *snort*)
I was the first computer geek in this family, but my men are rising above me in that department now. I'm so proud.

My foster son (18) helped me shorten a song I felt ran about a minute too long (I don't like adlibbing for almost a minute when I have to sing if the song's essentially ended)
It's quite simple, now that I know, but I would have been searching endlessly for the right buttons to press if he hadn't shown me. (He's a bass player and fiddles around with music programs a lot)

message 246: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 2164 comments Sadly, begging did not work. 15 hours of un-medicated childbirth for that little ungrateful wretch... ;-p

message 247: by mc (last edited Jun 03, 2011 05:08PM) (new)

mc | 1419 comments Oh, Kari, that's harsh! How old is this child? How can you embarrass her in front of her friends? :)

Good Lord, another sale at Fictionwise? What haven't I bought yet?

By the way, went to Barnes & Noble to look at the new tiny Nook. It's not a tablet or anything, but it is way small and it has a touch screen...

message 248: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 3259 comments mc wrote: "Oh, Kari, that's harsh! How old is this child? How can you embarrass her in front of her friends? :)

Good Lord, another sale at Fictionwise? What haven't I bought yet?

By the way, went to Barn..."

Well, she could talk about the 15 hours of unmedicated childbirth in detail. Do you have it on video, Kari?

BTW, I was in labor 40 hours. I had lots of drugs. We adopted the second child.

Re: the Nook. Does this mean you will buy from B&N for the life of the reader? If so, think hard. Their M/M selection is pretty limited.

message 249: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1275 comments Anne wrote: "Re: the Nook. Does this mean you will buy from B&N for the life of the reader? If so, think hard. Their M/M selection is pretty limited. "

I'm pretty sure the Nook will take non-DRM epub files. So that should still leave plenty of places to buy books.

message 250: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Well, it seems that Teddypig has something to say about Nook here: http://www.teddypig.com/2011/06/nook-...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

An Admirer (other topics)
The Matchmaker (other topics)
Brier's Bargain (other topics)
The Cat in the Cradle (other topics)
Something Like Summer (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Eden Winters (other topics)
Ava March (other topics)
John Goode (other topics)