Terminalcoffee discussion

Health / Science / Technology > Do You Take Vitamins?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I take a multi vitamin and Super-B complex everyday. If I don't, I feel awful. But I just read an article in an issue of Reader's Digest from last year that says that the only vitamin you really need to take is Vitamin D, as most people are deficient due to lack of exposure to sunlight.

Do you take any? Which ones?

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Apr 13, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I read that same article over at my mom's and it made a lot of good points, but I will say that there is something about me that feels better when I keep up with a multivitamin and a probiotic. Maybe it's in my head, who knows?

Although, I am a huge fan of probiotics in general. Food seems to like me a lot more when I religiously take them.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary I've heard that vitamins and supplements are not effective too but I still think they are good especially if your diet isn't always the best.
I take B,C,Calcium,Magnesium,Turmeric & Fish Oil.
I take probiotics when I remember them.
I had an injury last year and my chiropractor really emphasized calcium and magnesium. I started taking them and I really think it helped me heal.

message 4: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Don't you have to keep probiotics in the fridge?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Fish oil is another one I used to take religiously, but have slipped off the wagon.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Oh, and at one point I was taking Cayenne but it gave me wicked heartburn.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Aynge wrote: "Don't you have to keep probiotics in the fridge?"

In capsule form, no, but they do need to be kept in a cool, dark place.

message 8: by Aynge (last edited Apr 13, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments There was some kind of vitamin I decided to take, but I had to keep it in the fridge and I forgot about it completely until of course they expired.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11395 comments No.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I have flax seed meal that I put in my cereal, and I take Floravit iron supplement when I remember to buy it. I sometimes take multi-vitamins but I forget most days.

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb I have a bottle of multi-vitamins that I rarely remember to take.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (eecamp) I try to take multi-vitamins, since my diet is pretty dismal most of the time. I think they make my hair healthier at least.

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 5890 comments Yup. Whatever my wife has around, usually fish oil, B,C,D, calcium, and Centrum.

message 14: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i eat fruit.

message 15: by Alecia (new)

Alecia (AriesFire19) | 1619 comments No. I'm supposed to take a calcium supplement because I have to take heartburn medication daily but I never remember.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments janine wrote: "i eat fruit."

You're lucky you're Dutch, I guess. You could be required to eat wallabies or something.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments The Dingo ate my baby!

message 18: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "janine wrote: "i eat fruit."

You're lucky you're Dutch, I guess. You could be required to eat wallabies or something."

rugby players are a bit too chewy for my taste.

message 19: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Jim wrote: "The Dingo ate my baby!"

Really, Jim?

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Speaking of dingos -- where the hell is Gail?

message 21: by Alecia (new)

Alecia (AriesFire19) | 1619 comments I second Larry's question!

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I third the question. I will volunteer to go find her, who will volunteer to pay?

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I take vitamin D, fish oil, vitamin C, and a multi-vitamin. I don't know if they make a difference but I'm afraid to stop.

message 24: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4007 comments I take a multivitamin. When I forget, I get twitchy. (just like Dutch in the other thread.)

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
I can't be depended to do anything on the daily. Except maybe drink coffee. They should put vitamins in coffee.

message 26: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4007 comments Sally wrote: "I can't be depended to do anything on the daily. Except maybe drink coffee. They should put vitamins in coffee."

MILLION DOLLAR IDEA ALERT!

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (LYZZIBUG) | 708 comments I take a multi-vitamin daily, among other pills, and the only benefit I can see is my nails and hair look great.

message 28: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 985 comments I eat ground flaxseed and wheat germ with cereal. I take a multi, fish oil and D.

I have no idea if they help or not.

message 29: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 985 comments Sally wrote: "I can't be depended to do anything on the daily. Except maybe drink coffee. They should put vitamins in coffee."

Coffee is packed with nutrients. I would prefer a vitamin filled dry creamer instead.

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I eat fruits and vegetables and stuff. Does that count?

message 31: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I already said that a year ago.

message 32: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments janine wrote: "I already said that a year ago."

Well, it's good that you have kept up the habit for a year.

message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments For over 24 years even.

message 34: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments janine wrote: "For over 24 years even."

Even better. I'm good about eating vegetables, but not so good about fruit. And I don't know why, because I love fruit.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6789 comments My doctor started me on vitamin D a few years ago after my blood test said me D levels were low. I take Centrum when I remember. Probiotic capsules occasionally. Not sure if they are no good when you take them inconsistently? The probiotic, I mean.

My doctor said she prefers I get my vitamins and minerals from food rather than a pill.

message 36: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Amber ~Geektastic~ wrote: "janine wrote: "For over 24 years even."

Even better. I'm good about eating vegetables, but not so good about fruit. And I don't know why, because I love fruit."

I use fruit as snacks. Usually later in the afternoon and evenings. I also throw some berries in my muesli so I have some for breakfast and dessert too. The most important thing is to always make sure you have fruit, preferably different kinds. And switch with the seasons, don't eat apples all year round.

message 37: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 985 comments Dr. Gary Null said that: "Good Health is
10% vitamins,
15% food,
25 % exercise
and 50% beliefs and attitudes."

I whole heartedly believe this.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Cynthia wrote: "My doctor said she prefers I get my vitamins and minerals from food rather than a pill. "

I think this is the better way to go. A lot of vitamins are just snake oil. They don't do any good in the form we are taking them.
Garlic in pill form doesn't tend to have the same benefits to the immune system as the real stinky stuff. A lot of supplements combine things that counteract each other, too.

message 39: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I can barely remember to take my Lexapro and Prilosec daily, and I can't function without those. Trying to add in a vitamin would probably cause my brain to essplode.

message 40: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I eat margarine with added vitamins (A, D & E). It's meant for kids, but I just like the box it comes in. It's very summery and has flowers and butterflies on it.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Um, you eat it on something, right?

message 42: by janine (last edited Feb 17, 2012 04:23AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments Yes, between bread and apple spread.

message 43: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 2616 comments I started taking 2,000 mg of salmon oil daily in capsule form over a year ago. When I had my yearly checkup a few months ago, my HDL was up ten points. I think it works. I sit in the sun for fifteen minutes most days in the winter to get some vitamin D, but that's easy for me, since I'm in a warm climate. I wish I knew for sure that a multivitamin would be good for me, but I haven't seen any definitive studies to convince me.

message 44: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 2616 comments Vitamins Tied to Higher Death Rates in Older Women in Study

Here's the gist:

Oct. 10 (Bloomberg) -- "Multivitamins and some dietary supplements, used regularly by an estimated 234 million U.S. adults, may do more harm than good, according to a study that tied their use to higher death rates among older women.

"The use of multivitamins was associated with a 2.4 percent increased risk of death, according to the study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine. Calcium wasn’t associated with the danger and had a favorable effect on mortality, the authors found.

"While people typically use supplements in the hope of maintaining or improving health, today’s study adds to evidence that some vitamins and supplements may be harmful, said Goran Bjelakovic, a doctor at the University of Nis in Serbia, and Cristian Gluud, a doctor at Copenhagen University Hospital in Denmark, in an accompanying editorial. The research also raises a concern that long-term use of supplements may not be safe, the researchers said.

“We see little justification for the general and widespread use of dietary supplements,” wrote the authors, led by Jaakko Mursu, a nutritionist at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and the University of Eastern Finland in Kuopio. It may be best to limit use of supplements to cases of deficiency, the authors wrote.

Almost 40,000 women, ages 55 through 69 when the study began, reported their supplement use at three points during the course of 19 years. The self-reported use of supplements increased over the years, jumping to 85 percent in 2004 from 63 percent in 1986."

I think this is a crap study. Who's to say that the women "self-reporting" use of multivitamins weren't taking them because they were already ill and were trying to improve their health?

Full article at

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011...

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (DonnaJ22) I take Magnesium every night, it has stopped my foot cramps!!

message 46: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Vitamin D, because I'm deficient, and flax seed oil, because I have cholesterol issues.

message 47: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments We don't think you're deficient. Okay, maybe the issues part we can agree on.

message 48: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Thanks!

message 49: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 2616 comments Hmmm.

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11395 comments [image error]

Ha! Lookie what I found!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread