Manga Book Club discussion

Questions > Manga involving the game of Go.

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian R. (new)

Brian R. Mcdonald | 6 comments I like to read and collect fiction about the game of Go. I am interested in finding out about manga with scenes of the game. Of course I am a big fan of Hikaru no Go, and have a fairly complete collection of issues in English and other languages, but I am interested in any other titles which might have references. I am told that there was an issue of Ranma 1/2 with a go scene [or perhaps more than one] but I have never found it. Anyone know of any others???

Thanks.

message 2: by Miss (new)

Miss (GodBlessEveryone) | 150 comments Mod
hmmmm.... I will try to look it up the only one I know of is Hikaru no Go which is AWESOME but haven't finished it because I think I got bored because I didn't get the game that well >.<

message 3: by Starbubbles (new)

Starbubbles | 876 comments Mod
I think Wild Ones mentions Go a few times, but I don't think you actually see them play. You do see a few dice and card games though.

message 4: by Brian R. (new)

Brian R. Mcdonald | 6 comments Thanks for the info. I'll check out Wild Ones.

message 5: by Jamie (last edited Apr 22, 2011 02:28AM) (new)

Jamie | 45 comments Not sure about the manga Ranma 1/2, but I know in the Ranma movie 'Big Trouble in Nekonron, China' there is a scene where its sorta played.
There are brief scene in the series that Ranma's father can be found playing. I have only read a few of the manga so I am not sure where or if its shown in them.

message 6: by Brian R. (new)

Brian R. Mcdonald | 6 comments Thank you fo the reference. I have to watch that now.

message 7: by Starbubbles (new)

I was just reading Black Bird, and they were playing Go! I think it was something like vol. 4.

message 8: by Brian R. (new)

Brian R. Mcdonald | 6 comments Thank you much. I will definitely get a copy.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinPickell) | 7 comments In Hunter X Hunter during the chimera ant arc there is a little game of Go. They play some other board games as well.

message 10: by Brian R. (new)

Brian R. Mcdonald | 6 comments Thank you, Robin. I am not familiar with Hunter X Hunter, but you can be sure I will be checking on it.

message 11: by Starbubbles (new)

I've seen Hunter x Hunter around! That one is a long one isn't it?

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Quinones | 1 comments I know this is kinda old, but I figure I might as well add some input. I've actually seen a few that included Go in some way but I can't recall all of them. I recently read Hoshizora no Karasu which is centered around Go but it doesn't give as much insight as Hikaru no Go. I've only been able to read one chapter but it's good. http://mangafox.me/manga/hoshizora_no... <- that's the link for more info.
Some scenes of Go can be found in Vagabond (around volume 6), Tenjou Tenge (anime episode 26), Billy Bat (not sure), Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (anime episode 49). I know there's a murder scene surrounded by Go in Detective Conan somewhere. These are really only in one scene but you can check them out.
If you want, there are many more board game manga's you might be interested in. There's Saki (which is about mahjong) and Shion no Ou (which is about shogi). They're pretty good.
Hope this helps! ^_^

@Miss: lol I know right? I tried playing it on the computer (from what I understand, it has pretty basic instructions where you have to surround the opponents pieces to gain more "territory"; of course I now realize there's a lot of strategizing and thinking millions of steps ahead involved) It's safe to say I easily lost and quit.

@Starbubbles: If 300+ chapters is long to you, then yes. It's pretty interesting though. It kinda reminds me of a mix of Toriko (cuz of the weird creatures) and basically any adventure manga surrounding a hero that's weak and then meets an awesome person and keeps growing stronger with the help of his friends kinda thing (like One Piece or Naruto).

Ok. I am now officially finished :P

message 13: by Brian R. (new)

Brian R. Mcdonald | 6 comments Heather, thank you very much for all that great info.

unread topics | mark unread