Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > Have You Ever Bought a Book because of the Cover?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 106) (106 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Jean (new)

Jean (JeanJay) | 40 comments A good cover will get me to read the blurb. If the blurb is good, a sale is made.

message 52: by Rose (new)

Rose (Roseanswers) | 11 comments Lauren Kate's Fallen Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate exchanted me, but i was very disappointed by the book.

message 53: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 3 comments Yes, a good cover always draws you into finding out more about the book and then makes you want to buy it more even if the description isnt great sometimes :p

message 54: by Jean (new)

Jean (JeanJay) | 40 comments My two books coming out this fall, Now and Forever, a Love Story and Now and Forever 2, the Book of Danny will have black and white art and pink type. Do you think not having four color covers will hurt their sales?

message 55: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 7 comments I'd say about 90% of the books that I buy are because the cover caught my attention.

Jean- I don't think that it should hurt your sales. The pink type will stand out quite a bit and catch peoples attention. I'm not an expert lol. It's just my opinion.

message 56: by Jean (new)

Jean (JeanJay) | 40 comments You can see the covers on my Now and Forever, a Love Story Facebook page, if you're on there. I'm gathering opinions. The pic of the first book is very arresting, I guess I'm concerned about book 2. Thanks for your opinion.

message 57: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Shimotakahara (lshimo) | 5 comments I must confess that I often buy books because their covers appeal to me.... This is why I was a bit anxious about the cover of my first book, soon to be published this fall. In the end, anxieties aside, I do like the cover that the graphic designer did. It can be seen at my blog, www.the-reading-list.com

message 58: by Mick (new)

Mick (mickanick) | 7 comments Yes. Well, I'm frequently drawn to a book by it's cover. The most recently notable one being Havemercy by Jaida Jones. I kind of leaped across the B&N aisle at it. Couldn't resist the steampunk dragon.

Conversely, I've not purchased a book because of the cover, especially cheesy fantasy novel (and these days, urban fantasy novel) covers. I've even gone so far as to order a horribly covered book from Amazon UK if it has a better design!

message 59: by Veronika (new)

Veronika | 146 comments I really want to buy Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs because the cover looks very interesting and spooky and the story sounds really good. I will buy it as soon as I can!!!

message 60: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) Veronika-I feel exactly the same way about Miss Peregrine's Home!

message 61: by CD (last edited Jun 24, 2011 01:13PM) (new)

CD  | 156 comments I just added a used book from a sale because of the dust jacket photo of the author.

It Doesn't Take a Hero : The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf is the recent addition as 'Stormin' Norman is pictured with his dog Bear on the back. There are a few other reasons too for acquiring this one, but the dog put it over the top.

message 62: by Marie Z. (new)

Marie Z. Johansen (MusingCrow) | 8 comments Absolutley! I think that covers are one of the most important marketing tools for a book. I used to manage book stores and people always reacted well (or occasionally not so well) to book covers. I can;t say that I've bought a book solely because of an attractive jacket but I do tend to keep books that have nice covers more than ones that have ho-hum jackets

message 63: by Mariela (new)

Mariela Always!!! most of the time i buy books because i like the cover.

message 64: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Gone  (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann

Bought all of these, before I even read Wake, because I LOVE the covers.

message 65: by Pete (new)

Pete | 42 comments I like to collect novels from around the 40s-50s because of their cover art. I just picked up this copy of Tales of the South Pacific precisely because I liked the cover:

message 66: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) Great cover. I too love cover art, but for me it's the 30s and 40s. Double Indemnity by James M. Cain The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler are a few of my favorites.

message 67: by Jean (new)

Jean (JeanJay) | 40 comments Those are great! I love the old art. Michener's book became the popular movie and play, South Pacific. It came from that book. Love the old noir stuff, old movies with Bogie and Veronica Lake.

message 68: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) When I was in high school I wore my hair like Veronica Lake for a while. This was in the late 60s & everyone was like, Who's Veronica Lake?

message 69: by Jean (new)

Jean (JeanJay) | 40 comments Still a sexy hairstyle! I know she was obscure, but give me a break!! LOL.

message 70: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments Crime covers in the 30s and 40s style are lovely. I think they're my favourite type of cover. Can't think of the title at the moment, but I have a huge anthology of pulp stories with an awesome cover.
Veronica Lake is so pretty! I love how she wore her hair.

message 71: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Yes I sure have :) Actually I only buy books if the cover and the title look or sound amazing. I think reading the back of a book is bad luck because you get expectations about how you think the book is going to be and then you become disapointed when it was not what you were expecting lol. Plus it is kind of an extra mystery because you never know what the book will be about and it helps you read things that you normally wouldn't read. The book cover that caught my eye the most and turned out to be a killer series is Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast

message 72: by Richard (new)

Richard Knaak (RichardKnaak) | 6 comments Ellie wrote: "When I was in high school I wore my hair like Veronica Lake for a while. This was in the late 60s & everyone was like, Who's Veronica Lake?"

A movie from the 40s, The Major and the Minor (starring Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland) had a scene warning about the epidemic at the girls' school that was having a dance with the boys' military academy. When asked what the epidemic was, the reply --- after pointing at a row of teenage girls with their hair swept over one eye --- was "They all think they're Veronica Lake!"

message 73: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) lol

message 74: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (PhilAthans) | 35 comments I have a big collection of McSweeney's books bought primarily for the immensely amazing design.

message 75: by Deb (new)

Deb Here's a great cover Incarnate (Newsoul Trilogy #1) by Jodi Meadows. Read the blurb, now I'm waiting for it to be released. ;)

message 76: by Pete (last edited Jul 01, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Pete | 42 comments How about this one... I bought this book, not only because of the cover, but because I only wanted the cover. This was my parents book, and when I was a small lad, the cover used to scare the pants off me. Haunted mansion, skeletons hanging in the trees, good stuff! I still had the book as an adult, but the cover had become badly torn and with the spine missing. A few years ago, I found a used copy with the cover in better condition than my own copy on the internet. I gave my old copy to my sister.

message 77: by Anonymous (new)

Anonymous (InsomnicDreamer) | 5 comments Yes... I judge the book by its cover. Insiden Anjing di Tengah Malam yang Bikin Penasaran this is my pink-est book cover and i bet the only one.

message 78: by J (new)

J WATKINS | 3 comments Yes I bought and highly recommend "Vietnam:No Regrets" see at VIETNAMNOREGRETS.COM

message 79: by Ber (new)

Ber | 2 comments I always do this. It has worked out both bad and good.I bought "Halo" by Alexandra Adornetto, because of its goregous cover, and i have never read a worse book i don't think! On the other hand i bought "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater (UK Edition), never having heard of her before and now I'm hooked :)

message 80: by Classyreader (new)

Classyreader | 11 comments I have bought a book just recently for the title. It was called The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. lol

message 81: by Jean (new)

Jean (JeanJay) | 40 comments Would a black-and-white cover deter you from buying the book?

message 82: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1437 comments Mod
Jean wrote: "Would a black-and-white cover deter you from buying the book?"

If it looked like a cheap photocopy, probably. If it were artistically done, then no.

message 83: by readergirl1028 (new)

readergirl1028 | 4 comments If a cover particularly interests me, I will be far more likely to read the blurb and skim through it, but I rarely let the cover alone determine whether or not I should buy it. Oppositely, sometimes the cover will just be so garish or poorly done that I'll be inclined NOT to open it, but if it's recommended or looks interesting despite that, I won't put too much stock on it.

I've always found it interesting that book covers are often done by people who have never read the book itself, and so I try not to let it get in the way. Anyways, I have an unfortunate habit of removing jackets.

message 84: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (BridgetStage) | 13 comments Oh, I do that all of the time! The title, the cover... if it's pretty and/or sounds/looks interesting, I'll buy it without even thinking about reading about the book.

message 85: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 1 comments Me as well, all the time. But it's not always the deciding factor. Some awful covers can hide real gems. Sometimes I'll find out about a book and read the reviews here and elsewhere before I enter a bookshop, but normally my book buys are spur of the moment.

message 86: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 I haven't made the conscious decision to do buy a book because of the cover, but I have noticed that the books I've read have pretty nice designs. I will admit, however, that I have been turned off, at times, by boring covers.

message 87: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (BooksAndaBeagle) Photobucket and loved it

Photobucket reading now

Photobucket
and The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

message 88: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (BooksAndaBeagle) Feed was amazing! I loved it!
But I love zombies and I loved the political drama in the book but I would really recommend it

message 89: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Kyle wrote: "Only once. Misery by Stephen King. The sight of the man in the wheel chair, and the shadow of the person carrying the axe grabbed my attention. I had to buy it.Misery by Stephen King"

I'm so tempted to run down to the used bookstore downtown and buy this one, because I love the book and they have a hardcover one in great condition.

message 90: by Joei (new)

Joei Hossack | 50 comments I sincerely hope that some of you are Chicken Soup for the Soul readers because I just SOLD my first story to them for their book called O Canada due to be published November 1 - YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.joeicarlton.com Joei

message 91: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 532 comments I have had many reasons for buying books but I can honestly say it was never just for the cover. This said I would like to comment on the covers of Tom Sharpe’s books. The covers are drawn by Paul Samples, a very accomplished artist. When the reader looks at the drawings carefully, a multitude of the story’s faucets are revealed and a reading of the book simply puts them in the proper prospective. As a Tom Sharpe fan I see the partnership of these two as a perfect match.

message 92: by CD (new)

CD  | 156 comments I was fooled recently and checked out a book from the library that was really, really disappointing. Mobbed  A Regan Reilly Mystery by Carol Higgins Clark was hardly worth the time href=" http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...; (see review)

message 93: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 10 comments Of course, that is what hooks me in to look at the book 90% of the time. I just bought Remains of the Day, The by Kazuo Ishiguro the cover just popped out at me on the shelf, and i bought Every Last One by Anna Quindlen as I thought the cover was really good hope I won't be dissapointed!!

message 94: by Flavio (new)

Flavio (Slaprocks) | 2 comments All the time! I especially love old paperbacks with covers by Frank Frazetta, Jeff Jones, Robert McGinnis and Ed Powers.

message 95: by Anbu (new)

Anbu (Anbutheone) Many books. Whenever I wander in the bookshop without looking out for a particular book, often I choose by the covers.

message 96: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I've bought quite a lot of books on the strength of the cover, or at the very least the cover was the thing that made me look at the book and then decide to buy it.

London's Natural History (New Naturalist, #3) by R.S.R. Fitter Plant Galls (New Naturalist, #117) by Margaret Redfern Haunts of British Divers by Niall Rankin Mountains And Moorlands (New Naturalist, #11) by William Harold Pearsall

And lots of Folio Society books that attracted me by the beautiful covers.

The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker Empires of the Ancient Near East by J.M. Cook Egypt Revealed  Artist Travellers in an Antique Land by T.G.H. James The Making of the English Landscape by W.G. Hoskins The Crucible of the Middle Ages  The Ninth and Tenth Centuries in European History by Geoffrey Barraclough

I know the adage is not to judge books by them but I do find that covers are a pretty fair indicator of what a book is like - spines are similar and I often skim through stacks of books and can pick out interesting ones just from the way the spine is designed without necessarily reading the title. You do run a risk of missing the books that break the rule if you do this quickly though and I try to take my time and concentrate on reading the titles in shops where there's likely to be hidden gems!

message 97: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 146 comments I have, one book that I have bought was Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks.

message 98: by Jool (new)

Jool (Jools4853) | 6 comments I buy many books (yes I judge by the cover) based on the cover are. Have any of you NOT purchased a book because of the cover art? In some cases if the cover is very low-end talent - and it does not match (to me) what the book contains, then I figure it for a low-end book. I know that is bad!! So many authors need to get a start somewhere..... but yes, I judge by cover art in some cases.
--Jool

message 99: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I've bought a number of hardbacks that didn't have their dust jackets, so in those cases I could not have not judged them by the cover.

Conversely, when I bought Bugs Britannica earlier this year all the copies in the shop were sealed in plastic so I didn't have the option of doing anything 'but' judge by the cover!

message 100: by Fouli (new)

Fouli Tzika | 3 comments Everytime I look on the selves I pay more atention on the colours of the covers than in the titles of the books! if it catches my eye by the first look I know that I am gonna enjoy it :D

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dragon and the Unicorn (other topics)
Across the Face of the World (other topics)
Blood Engines (other topics)
Impulse (other topics)
Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Wurtzel (other topics)
P.C. Cast (other topics)
Rick Mofina (other topics)